geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

Remapping Keys

(1/2) > >>

FKSSR:
I'm starting this thread so that I don't just take over another thread that started the conversation.

So, I am using a MK96 on a Windows machine.  The MK96 doesn't have Delete, Home, End, Page Up, or Page Down keys.  Therefore, I have to remap keys for those functions.  I have been searching for the best (and cheapest) way to do so.

In the other thread, I was introduced to SharpKeys, but SharpKeys won't let me do what I want... (Make Shift+Backspace = Delete) I found a couple programs that say they can map multiple key combinations to a single key, but I would have to pay for them.  I downloaded the nicest looking one (ATNSoft), but I can't figure it out.  I sent them an email asking for assistance.

So, i stuck with KeyTweak for a while longer.  It's not so bad.  I mapped the numlock to be Delete and the = sign (it's on Mac numpads) to be NumLock, since I don't have any use for a = key in Windows.  I would just rather be able to do Shift+Backspace for Delete.

----

Then I found that ATNSoft makes a program called Key Manager that does what I need it to (allows me to map Shift+Backspace to be Delete).  The program works within Windows.  So, the program starts up when Windows starts up, but if you turn the program off or the program doesn't start for whatever reason, the mapping will not be there.  It is different than the way a program like KeyTweak works - that messes with the registry.

So, I use KeyTweak to change the Pause key to Delete (in order to still do Ctrl+Alt+Delete functions easily), but I use ATNSoft Key Manager for my other remappings. So far, it's working out great. I'm still not the biggest fan of the layout of the MK96, but I finally got it working in a way that is very good.

The only problem with ATNSoft Key Manager is that it costs $30 for a license! I am on the 30-day trial. I don't want to pay the $30, but I would rather do that than go without the remapping. I'll be looking out for a free program that does the same thing (though I have looked and haven't found one yet) or be waiting to buy the Filco with white-alps switches, though. If I can, and I like it as much as I like the MK96 switches, the MK96 will be going in the closet.  

My next project with the MK96 may be to remove the legends using Acetone (as they are just printed on) and dye the keys using RIT Dye. First, I am going to see if I can get the Filco, though.

---

Next week, I'm going to look at AutoHotkey as a free way to map Shift+Backspace to be Delete.

I saw it in another thread here, just now, so I'm sure others here probably use it. I'm not sure if it will work as well as ATNSoft Key Manager, but I'll let everyone know.

nowsharing:
Good writeup, I've bookmarked it for future reference.

Do you know if there are any remap programs that also allow the keys to launch programs? For example, it would be nice to be able to launch the calculator with F1. I tried some searching google, but most results are for crappy looking trial software. Launchy has worked wonders, but I'd prefer to just tap a single key to launch some things.

skriefal:
Autohotkey should be able to do that -- but it does require a significant learning curve.

lam47:
I like sharp keys. I am using it in Windows 7 to re map the key above enter to be BS so they match the HH layout I am now used to.

skriefal:
SharpKeys is nice in that it merely tweaks a few registry settings.  The actual remapping is handled natively by Windows, so you don't need to leave SharpKeys running.  But IIRC it won't allow you to program certain keys to launch programs or do anything other than simple key1 -> key2 remappings.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version