Author Topic: MrDuul's IBM Model F - Kishsaver (The Original) (REPAIRING)  (Read 6629 times)

Offline mrduul

MrDuul's IBM Model F - Kishsaver (The Original) (REPAIRING)
« on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 19:11:49 »
It has arrived.

The Legendary...The Original Kishsaver.

The Model F Kishsaver.

Typing on it.... everything else feels like mud compared to this beauty.
It feels like the Bugatti of keyboards and no wonder it holds the crown.

The keys are smooth like butter and the weight of the case it's built to last.
It really is the best keyboard I have EVER typed on.
--------------------------------------------------------
REPAIRING THIS KISHSAVER-

Some keys do not register, could be the controller or voltage.

E, T, U, O, A (do not register)

M (sometimes registers)

`  ~ key is mapped onto \ | key

\ | key mapped to `   ~ key

Shift + Keys works accept for the ones listed that don't register.

FN + 1-9 for F keys..Works.

---------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------
Videos Here testing the Kishsaver.

First video is typing QWERTY, displaying the keys not registering. Some typing at the end.
Probably voltage to be adjusted:

Second Video is freestyle typing side by side on the Kishsaver and IBM Model M SSK.

I type much faster on the Model F for sure. Model M is great but feels a bit more stiff.
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 June 2017, 15:52:18 by mrduul »

Offline mana

Re: MrDuul's IBM Model F - Kishsaver
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 02 June 2017, 23:54:32 »
Considering that you've just made the claim that this is the best keyboard that you have ever typed on, and you have two beamspring keyboards, would you say that beamsprings are overrated compared to the Model F?

Offline Entropia

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 02:32:31 »
Why don't they make them 100% or at least with arrow and function keys? I'm sure people would be much more interested in a standard layout (or maybe tenkeyless) with Model F switches. And why is that wasted space on the sides of the case?

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 02:52:17 »
Why don't they make them 100% or at least with arrow and function keys? I'm sure people would be much more interested in a standard layout (or maybe tenkeyless) with Model F switches. And why is that wasted space on the sides of the case?

Seems like you're missing the point of Kishsavers and 60%s in general.

The F107 is more your style. Also, due to the rarity, I'd say that the F66 (Aka Kishsaver) is much more popular than the F107.

People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline mrduul

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 05:56:29 »
The 77 Key is even more rare. I personally don't have room for a F107.

https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/

You can pre-order a reproduction which I also did so I will compare the two.

Offline mrduul

Re: MrDuul's IBM Model F - Kishsaver (REPAIRING)
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 08:50:42 »
Added some videos to first post.  :thumb:

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 10:06:36 »
Awesome stuff, jealous just cause it looks so fine.

I tried f boards for a few minutes and definitely wasn't blown away but I'd like to get an F and try it for a few weeks

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 12:04:05 »
Very jealous man. Good luck on the repairs.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 15:14:32 »
Considering that you've just made the claim that this is the best keyboard that you have ever typed on, and you have two beamspring keyboards, would you say that beamsprings are overrated compared to the Model F?

I'm curious as well. I greatly prefer the switches in my beamspring to my F107, but the profile is way better on the F's.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Tempest790

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 15:27:26 »

This is why I did not get one.  No dedicated function keys and no arrow keys is a no go for me.  I might've gotten used to not having a number pad, but I still prefer a standard 104 layout for my use.  Oh well, maybe the interest in this project will lead to more versions.

Offline mrduul

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 03 June 2017, 16:24:23 »

This is why I did not get one.  No dedicated function keys and no arrow keys is a no go for me.  I might've gotten used to not having a number pad, but I still prefer a standard 104 layout for my use.  Oh well, maybe the interest in this project will lead to more versions.

You can always plug in your favorite num pad and place it to the left or right of the keyboard.

There is the rare F77 which has arrow key and numpad. It is more rare than Kishsaver.

---

Also in terms of Beamspring vs Model F capacitive buckling spring. They are both an amazing experience to type on, I feel I am faster on the Model F than my IBM 3278. I will post a video of them side by side. Beamspring is a great experience but the form factor goes to the Kishsaver.

You could modify the 3278 for a smaller case, I might do that and keep the old case.

Offline JP

Re: MrDuul's IBM Model F - Kishsaver (The Original) (REPAIRING)
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 21:06:42 »
I am curious to see how your repairs turn out. I am scared one of my Model F boards has a similar issue but will need to do a full tear down first.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline mrduul

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 16:15:53 »
I am curious to see how your repairs turn out. I am scared one of my Model F boards has a similar issue but will need to do a full tear down first.

Working on it, have been very busy right now.

Offline JP

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 20:27:24 »
I know how that goes. I seem to have a lot going on myself lately.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 22:31:20 »
Congratulations on your acquisition!

A Kishsaver is one keyboard I doubt I'll ever get - I don't think there are any down here.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ