Author Topic: KBDFANS KDB67 Lite R2  (Read 9390 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
KBDFANS KDB67 Lite R2
« on: Thu, 24 June 2021, 06:22:03 »
I'm looking forward receiving my kbd67 Lite - round 2 should start shipping tomorrow.
I'm not a fan of 65%, but this supposed to be so amazing in feel and sound, that I had to order it. $109 sounds liek a small amount for such a nice entry level board.

Anyone else ordered one? Or have one from round 1?
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 June 2021, 06:23:36 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Zylkan

Re: KBDFANS KDB67 Lite R2
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 24 June 2021, 07:34:14 »
I'm hoping for an eventual R3 with ISO support whether hot swap or soldered.

I have the alu version
Report back when you get it please?
Cheers!

Offline phinix

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 24 June 2021, 07:36:31 »
I'm hoping for an eventual R3 with ISO support whether hot swap or soldered.

I have the alu version
Report back when you get it please?
Cheers!

Yeah, no probs, I will post some photos when I'll build it.

Initially I'm going to lube Zealios v2 78g and mount them on it. I'll go with supplied stabs first, but have Durock v2 just in case stock ones are crap.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 24 June 2021, 15:28:43 »
I'd like to try the light, but also hoping for a screw-in stab update/revision to the NK65EE as well.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 24 June 2021, 15:47:19 »
I ordered a R2 one to kill the wait among all the keeb I am waiting on... then it got delayed for a month -_-
I REALLY hope it starts shipping tomorrow because I feel the need to build lol.
Stabs aren't going to be the same as R1 though, they're said to be a tad inferior but we'll see.

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 25 June 2021, 20:08:46 »
I'd like to try the light, but also hoping for a screw-in stab update/revision to the NK65EE as well.
What's with all the hate for plate mount stabs? they only difference is they aren't screwed shut to the PCB, the stabs on my NK65EE are almost non existent with no weird mods aside for proper lube. 

Edit: 
The stabs are not the stock ones though, btw also waiting for the R2 to ship, can't wait to compare it to my NK65EE to see whats all the fuss about gasket mounting.

Offline Samael82

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 26 June 2021, 03:27:55 »
I really hope it ships in time, its a stepping stone for me too, till my Typemaster180 arrives in late August.
Would love to know if anyone has any info regarding the progress though, sea shippings from China has been terrible lately, i am afraid we are going to have big delays if the boards are not shipped by air.

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 26 June 2021, 09:26:30 »
I really hope it ships in time, its a stepping stone for me too, till my Typemaster180 arrives in late August.
Would love to know if anyone has any info regarding the progress though, sea shippings from China has been terrible lately, i am afraid we are going to have big delays if the boards are not shipped by air.
They’re shipping with DHL/FedEx, at least that was the only option for me.

Offline Samael82

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 26 June 2021, 11:57:25 »
They’re shipping with DHL/FedEx, at least that was the only option for me.
I got mine via Candykeys, cause...import fees suck in Greece.
So i only hope they get their batch via air as well...

Offline Fraaaan

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 26 June 2021, 12:12:41 »
I have the 67 Lite from the first round and I enjoy it very much.

The "gasket" is pretty much used as a marketing term, though. The hard silicone that sits in-between the PCB and plate is sandwiched between the top and bottom case. You won't get any flex with this thing during regular use even if you're a pretty heavy typist but is still feels way better than a tray mount which is fantastic at this price point. Bezels aren't too thin and it sounds pretty alright IMO. Comes with a carrying case as well.

It's a great first or seconds board or if you're looking for something hotswappable to try switches on or even for breaking in switches before lubing.

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 26 June 2021, 13:22:51 »

The "gasket" is pretty much used as a marketing term, though. The hard silicone that sits in-between the PCB and plate is sandwiched between the top and bottom case. You won't get any flex with this thing during regular use even if you're a pretty heavy typist but is still feels way better than a tray mount which is fantastic at this price point. Bezels aren't too thin and it sounds pretty alright IMO. Comes with a carrying case as well.

It's a great first or seconds board or if you're looking for something hotswappable to try switches on or even for breaking in switches before lubing.
Typing feel isn't softer than tray mount/top mount? 
I also wonder how far can you mod this KB, could you remove/cut the sillicon and use actual gaskets?

Offline Fraaaan

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 26 June 2021, 18:13:58 »

Typing feel isn't softer than tray mount/top mount? 
I also wonder how far can you mod this KB, could you remove/cut the sillicon and use actual gaskets?

I haven't typed on a top mount board but I can't imagine it being much different from this. It's still much better than tray mount as I mentioned already.

You can't remove the silicone because it's a part of the mounting system of the board.

Offline phinix

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 26 June 2021, 18:43:44 »
DHL or Fedex, thats what says my order, so should be 4-5 days in UK.
However, its not shipped yet, I hope to get an email soon.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 04 July 2021, 07:47:35 »
I had an R1 and it was great. Truly everything it was hyped up to be.

Smoky transparent case was the perfect colour, versatile with many sets. Typing felt tight and clacky. Hotswap sockets had the right amount of clearance.

What was most amazing about it, to me, was the sound. It was thockier than other boards, and made linears and tactiles sound good. Light tactiles like TTC Watermelon Milkshake, Taro Ball, SP Star Meteor Orange, and other recent tactiles could be made to sound good in it.

The lighting was also excellent and tasteful in the transparent case, and Dragonfruit switches would look great on it if the switches themselves were good to use. The spacebar was actually pretty thocky too [using C3 V3 stabilizers] and everything was straight and consistent.

I sold mine because I don't particularly need a thocky keyboard, and the 65% layout just wasn't working for me.

I instead pre-ordered an IKKI68 Aurora. I think the 70% layout will work out better for me, and it's easier to mute the board. But in a sound test between KBD67 Lite, IKKI68 Aurora, and Portico that I saw recently, the KBD67 Lite was definitely the thockiest and best-sounding, and I think it would really be a crowd-pleaser.

Offline phinix

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 04 July 2021, 08:05:03 »
Mine came in few days ago, built it with stock stabs and Zealios 78g I just lubed recently.

This is how I would like all my keyboards sound and feel.
Thocky like I never heard before, typing on lubed Zealios 78g is amaizng, with GMK caps it sounds pretty deep. Even stock stabs are good enough.

I really wish it was TKL.

I'll keep this one for couple of months at least, till I finally hit and buy Frog TKL. I know it wont be the same, but at least it will be a bit closer - and TKL.
Looks like I need TKL, it is my perfect size, navigation clusters on proper positions etc

I wish we had pc smoky transparent TKL like this 67 lite.

271749-0

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 04 July 2021, 08:07:56 »
Yeah, pretty much.

I wish the KBD67 Lite was a TKL, essentially.

Offline HaoyMA

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 05 July 2021, 02:09:13 »
Didn't order it, but wanna buy the spot. Amazing keyboard ;)

Offline Samael82

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 05 July 2021, 05:43:30 »
Mine came in few days ago, built it with stock stabs and Zealios 78g I just lubed recently.

Thocky like I never heard before, typing on lubed Zealios 78g is amaizng, with GMK caps it sounds pretty deep. Even stock stabs are good enough.

I'll keep this one for couple of months at least, till I finally hit and buy Frog TKL. I know it wont be the same, but at least it will be a bit closer - and TKL.
Looks like I need TKL, it is my perfect size, navigation clusters on proper positions etc

(Attachment Link)

Glad to see the 1st arrival!
Did you mod/lube the stock stabs or you used it 100% stock?!

The wait is killing me....come on CandyKeys!!

Offline phinix

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 05 July 2021, 06:39:51 »

(Attachment Link)

Glad to see the 1st arrival!
Did you mod/lube the stock stabs or you used it 100% stock?!

The wait is killing me....come on CandyKeys!!

Of course I modded it, lubed them, used stabs stickers under.

Candykeys will be shipping them around 20/07.

Offline Samael82

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 04:47:24 »
Candykeys confirmed to me yestarday in their Instagram post that the boards are landing this weekend  :thumb:

Offline phinix

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 05:04:29 »
Candykeys confirmed to me yestarday in their Instagram post that the boards are landing this weekend  :thumb:

Yeah, I saw your post:)
They emailed me few days ago that it will be few weeks, so we should be getting them starting next week. :thumb:

Offline Samael82

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 14 July 2021, 06:11:10 »
There has been a delay aparently and they expect to get them tomorrow 15 July, according to their Insta post at least.
Lets hope they ship then asap  :-X

Edit: 20-07-21 update, they started shipping them! Mine should arrive in 4-5 days.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 July 2021, 14:08:54 by Samael82 »

Offline Samael82

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 30 July 2021, 04:55:51 »
Got it a couple of days ago, lovely little thing and it does sound great as expeceted.
Problem is though that it is warped...bottom case is bowing out by about 2-3 degrees, anything we can do about it?

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 01 August 2021, 14:24:28 »
Got it a couple of days ago, lovely little thing and it does sound great as expeceted.
Problem is though that it is warped...bottom case is bowing out by about 2-3 degrees, anything we can do about it?
Well you could always take the risk and heat it to bend it into place, if it's an issue you can try contacting KBDFans and see if they might be willing to send replacement, they gonna have a astock of cases anyway soon. 
Could you post a picture of the warpage?

Offline Samael82

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 11 August 2021, 05:51:41 »

Offline phinix

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 11 August 2021, 07:36:28 »
Pictures, the middle sits around 1mm lower and its somewhat noticable even when standing on the table regularly.
https://www.mediafire.com/view/ymfgktifvyvut0j/DSC_0172_1.JPG/file
https://www.mediafire.com/view/ezbt19uyij34z1u/DSC_0173_1.JPG/file
https://www.mediafire.com/view/6daa5tfmkvz4r7h/DSC_0175.JPG/file

Mine is other way around - maybe its just a matter of tightening up the screws?

Offline Katlicious

• Cable Artisan & Keyboard Enthusiast
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 11 August 2021, 10:50:34 »
I feel you, this board sounds so good.

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 11 August 2021, 12:46:03 »
Pictures, the middle sits around 1mm lower and its somewhat noticable even when standing on the table regularly.
https://www.mediafire.com/view/ymfgktifvyvut0j/DSC_0172_1.JPG/file
https://www.mediafire.com/view/ezbt19uyij34z1u/DSC_0173_1.JPG/file
https://www.mediafire.com/view/6daa5tfmkvz4r7h/DSC_0175.JPG/file
Oh is that someting major? my board is also slightly warped, but no to the point it's affeting it or bothering me, my NK65EE on the other hand, wasn't able to properly close it without heavily flexing and putting quite a bit of stress on the plastic standoffs.. and on top of it, it made the board sound weird.

Offline Samael82

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 05:23:49 »
Well for the price, i am not very bothered, could be better could be worst, but its acceptable.
Untightening the middle screws fixes it a bit, but i hate loose screws :p

The PCB-PC plate combo is also slightly warped btw, noticed ti the other day when i opened it again, maybe thats what causes the case to bow a bit, not sure.

Sound wise though, its really good, thocky and deep as expected, bit annoyed by the super deep sound of the top row, but i dont input lots of numbers when typing so its OK.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 12 August 2021, 15:32:45 »
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Zylkan

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 14 August 2021, 12:48:40 »
Could anyone confirm the exact width and front height?
I'm about to make a wooden wrist rest for my alu version but the intention is to buy the lite version when it comes out with ISO support and wanted to make sure it's the exact same size.
Much appreciated!