Author Topic: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?  (Read 611721 times)

Offline dustigroove

Re: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?
« Reply #1350 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 19:11:48 »
Is there anything other than Arch?

Offline dante

« Reply #1351 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 19:33:38 »
So right now in July 2016 - what is the absolute best graphics card that is 100% supported by Linux?
if a customer needs a graphics card, or a card fro multiple monitors and such, I try to buy AMD for them.

Do you have a business that builds custom PC's?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1352 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 19:37:22 »
One month of Debian and only three crashes due to my actions (all GPU related - nothing to do with Debian). Swoon

Offline dustigroove

« Reply #1353 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 21:37:46 »
I use mostly use Manjaro because I'm too lazy to install Arch myself.
Architect Linux

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #1354 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 22:00:07 »

Uhhh..... Antergos? :shrug:

Offline dustigroove

« Reply #1355 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 22:07:57 »

Which is Arch-based... not Arch.

--
DG

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #1356 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 22:16:12 »

Which is Arch-based... not Arch.

--
DG

Way to be a buzzkill!

Offline dustigroove

« Reply #1357 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 22:37:37 »
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 July 2016, 10:49:28 by dustigroove »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1358 on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 01:31:12 »
So right now in July 2016 - what is the absolute best graphics card that is 100% supported by Linux?
if a customer needs a graphics card, or a card fro multiple monitors and such, I try to buy AMD for them.

I'm an independent tech supporting home to small and medium businesses, among other things.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1359 on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 05:40:10 »

I'm an independent tech supporting home to small and medium businesses, among other things.

And to the odd keyboard forum here and there ... ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline iri

« Reply #1360 on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 06:22:15 »
There is no Arch.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline dustigroove

« Reply #1361 on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 10:35:48 »
There is no Arch.

(diversion from doing work...)
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 July 2016, 10:40:19 by dustigroove »

Offline iri

« Reply #1362 on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 10:52:22 »
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1363 on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 10:55:26 »
I keep hearing about this Arch thing, what is Arch? Seriously

Offline iri

« Reply #1364 on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 10:56:07 »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arch_Linux

-Ray Bradbury

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1365 on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 10:57:53 »

Offline dustigroove

« Reply #1366 on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 11:06:35 »
Arch is a rolling release Linux distribution with a huge repository (both distribution and community maintained) of current and bleeding edge packages. They adhere to the mantra of simplicity (see: The Arch Way, KISS)

Best from the horses mouth...

https://www.archlinux.org/about/

« Last Edit: Sun, 17 July 2016, 10:49:48 by dustigroove »

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #1367 on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 12:15:00 »
I use mostly use Manjaro because I'm too lazy to install Arch myself.

Me too.  For the moment, at least.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #1368 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 00:48:20 »
Arch is a rolling release Linux distribution with a huge repository (both distribution and community maintained) of current and bleeding edge packages. They adhere to the mantra of simplicity (see: The Arch Way, KISS)

Noob version of Slackware. ;)
SSKs for everyone!

Offline dustigroove

« Reply #1369 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 08:45:21 »

Ha! Actually Gentoo/Funtoo would be more correct as Slackware isn't a rolling release distro.

But I feel what you're trying to imply... even if it's wrong. ;)

Offline iri

« Reply #1370 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 09:12:27 »
There's no 'X version of Slackware'. There's just Slackware and everything else.

патрег бох!

-Ray Bradbury

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1371 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 17:41:42 »
Got a new laptop for work. Running Linux Mint 18 instead of Debian because I need kernel 4.4 and some newer packages for hardware support and I didn't want to mess with sid on a work machine.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #1372 on: Fri, 29 July 2016, 23:50:29 »
Does anyone have any experience with puppy linux? Thinking of trying it out because I've got a really old pc that I'm trying to use in my 'office' it's more of a big mess with a desk that I try to work with keyboards at.
And when I say old pc I mean pci express 1.0 old.

Offline dustigroove

« Reply #1373 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 10:27:59 »
Not sure if this really deserves it's own thread, so, since it's relevant I'll post here...

What (distro +) window manager do you all use?

Mine:
Arch / i3

Offline dustigroove

« Reply #1374 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 10:34:07 »
Does anyone have any experience with puppy linux? Thinking of trying it out because I've got a really old pc that I'm trying to use in my 'office' it's more of a big mess with a desk that I try to work with keyboards at.
I used Puppy as a rescue tool for a couple years,  and have an old Dell Mini 9 kicking around with it on it somewhere... nice lightweight, little distro.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #1375 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 11:04:46 »
Not sure if this really deserves it's own thread, so, since it's relevant I'll post here...

Mine:
Arch / i3

This topic pops up occasionally is this thread.  I have been using Manjaro bspwm on one of laptops.  I like it.  I tried to build bspwm without the pre-built version, but I failed miserably.  I don't know how much I care to try again, because Manjaro bspwm is fine with me.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1376 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 12:29:53 »

I haven't used it myself, but I know people who have. It's supposed to be fairly snappy, but don't expect miracles out of your hardware.

Mine:
Arch / i3

Debian / Openbox
Mint / Muffin
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline iri

« Reply #1377 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 15:42:28 »
I've used it on a laptop I bought in... 2006 I guess. No complaints at all, very nice distro.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #1378 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 15:51:57 »
Saw this thread, reminded me i havent -Syu in 5 weeks, due to vacation(Holding thumbs)

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #1379 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 01:37:33 »
Saw this thread, reminded me i havent -Syu in 5 weeks, due to vacation(Holding thumbs)
OI BRACE FOR IMPACT.

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #1380 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 15:00:13 »

Ha! Actually Gentoo/Funtoo would be more correct as Slackware isn't a rolling release distro.

But I feel what you're trying to imply... even if it's wrong. ;)

Slackware was the "go to" for those "in the know".  Now it's Arch.

Someone obviously needs to find more time for Bob Dobbs in his life...
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 August 2016, 15:02:22 by smknjoe »
SSKs for everyone!

Offline Ciemnika

« Reply #1381 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 12:51:14 »
Debian, of course.

Offline Altis

« Reply #1382 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 20:49:10 »
I never said never. :)

I'll bet that 95% of the people who dual boot could do just fine with VMs though. Again, if you are just using Win once a week...why have a native install? I juggled dual, triple, and even quad booting (with a Macbook) for years and it was a ***** to manage backups and share files. With VMs you backup and restore entire "machines" with ease. And if you go with VMware the guest tools make it almost impossible to tell any difference between a native machine and virtual in terms of performance...including graphics.

I think the best setup for these kinds of situations is having two drives, one for Windows and one for Linux.

Install VMWare Workstation on Windows and set up the Linux partition as a VM. This will allow you to boot directly to Windows or Linux, as well as run your Linux partition live while running Windows through VMWare Workstation.

I prefer to boot into just the OS that I will be using but there are certainly times where I need to access resources/software from both in the same time frame and this saves from having to shut down one to boot the other.

I first learned you could do this when I booted my Windows bootcamp partition on my Mac as a VM in OS X, allowing me to use both at the same time or boot directly to either. Very handy indeed.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #1383 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 06:31:45 »
Getting a new pc tomorrow that's going to control one of my screens.
Already bought Synergy and am just waiting on parts.
It'll be running Linux Mint. - Can't wait to fiddle around with it.  :cool:

Offline joey

« Reply #1384 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 06:36:40 »
Considering running Voidlinux on a Macbook..

Offline dustigroove

« Reply #1385 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 06:52:47 »

Absolutely love Synergy. Have been using it for a number of years now... I'd include it as one of my few essential tools.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 August 2016, 15:54:01 by dustigroove »

Offline iri

« Reply #1386 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 07:29:25 »
Just do it.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline joey

« Reply #1387 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 07:32:24 »
Just do it.
That's the motivation I need.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #1388 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 08:14:48 »

Absolutely love Synergy. Have been using it for a number of year now... I'd include it as one of my few essential tools.
That's what I've heard. I can't wait to try it out and play around with everything.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1389 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 17:25:56 »

Absolutely love Synergy. Have been using it for a number of year now... I'd include it as one of my few essential tools.
That's what I've heard. I can't wait to try it out and play around with everything.

Oh man this.. I was just thinking about a KVM switch and I read this--definitely bookmarking :)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1390 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 17:58:25 »
I just looked into this... Why had I not heard of this before.
Seriously I could have used this years ago and skipped buying a KVM (actually I'm on my second KVM).
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Altis

« Reply #1391 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 20:55:22 »
Does anyone know if I can do the following:

On a MacBook Pro with OS X and Windows 7, I want to have a virtual machine of Lubuntu that I can run from either Windows or OS X. I'm wondering, if I install it under Windows, can I also boot the VM from OS X? Or am I best setting up a shared drive, locating the VM folder there... then perhaps I can access it from each Windows and OS X?

Sidenote: My MBP is from 2010 and only a dual-core i5 with 8GB of RAM. Oddly enough, I can upgrade to 16 GB of RAM but only Windows will recognize it. I've tried running my Windows bootcamp partition as a VM in OS X and while it works, the performance is too poor to be useful.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1392 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 22:01:35 »
Does anyone know if I can do the following:

On a MacBook Pro with OS X and Windows 7, I want to have a virtual machine of Lubuntu that I can run from either Windows or OS X. I'm wondering, if I install it under Windows, can I also boot the VM from OS X? Or am I best setting up a shared drive, locating the VM folder there... then perhaps I can access it from each Windows and OS X?

Sidenote: My MBP is from 2010 and only a dual-core i5 with 8GB of RAM. Oddly enough, I can upgrade to 16 GB of RAM but only Windows will recognize it. I've tried running my Windows bootcamp partition as a VM in OS X and while it works, the performance is too poor to be useful.

The way I'd approach it would be to use virtualization software that runs on both OS X and Windows, or at least software that can read the same formats, and to put the virtual hard disk on a shared partition. It may not be the best way, but it seems to me that would be the easiest way to get things up and running.

Offline Darkshado

« Reply #1393 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 22:53:35 »
If you're not going to boot the Windows partition in a VM while in Mac OS, and Mac OS can mount that NTFS read+write, it'd be easier to just leave the Lubuntu VM's image on that partition.

Unless you insist on Lubuntu being able to run both in a VM and physically, then, partition for it as well.

Offline Altis

« Reply #1394 on: Thu, 11 August 2016, 07:37:06 »
Thanks to both of you.

Looks like VirtualBox runs on both Windows and Mac. I think I'll try that and see if I can use both while the VM files are on the Windows partition so that both can access it; else I'll create a shared partition and try it there.

Offline pmck

• Software Engineer
« Reply #1395 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 05:40:42 »
Got a new laptop for work. Running Linux Mint 18 instead of Debian because I need kernel 4.4 and some newer packages for hardware support and I didn't want to mess with sid on a work machine.

Love Mint, wish I could use it at work. We have a RHL and an Ubuntu image but both are... bleugh bloated and ruined by corporate security software

|        IBM M         |      Wasd V1      |   GH60    | KBC Poker | GHPAD |

WANTED:Nada have all I want for now!

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1396 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 06:30:49 »
Two months of Debian. I'm finally past my duck and cover phase of testing out a new distro. Ubuntu was WAY too user-friendly for me--I broke mine during the first month :))

Looks like I'll be on board for Stretch

Offline CSCoder4ever

• If it clicks I dig it
    • my github
« Reply #1397 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 17:55:54 »
So I got a thinkpad x220 about a week ago and for one reason only, FreeBSD! One of the known laptops to work flawlessly with it, since I can't always be using my FreeBSD desktop!

it's called FreeBSD  ;D
Rosewill RK-9100; Poker II; Magicforce 68; Planck; WASDv2 TKL; Corsair k65; minivan; tada68;

*buntu - Debian - OpenBSD

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #1398 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 07:04:26 »
Really enjoying Linux mint so far, been using it for about a week or so and for a plug and play os it does the job quite well.
I'm freeing myself from Windows one step at a time. :D
Also: Synergy is ****in' amazing.
There are a few glitches here and there, my biggest gripe right now being that I can't copy/paste from one screen to the other without stopping and starting the service every once in a while.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1399 on: Tue, 23 August 2016, 07:37:39 »

Really enjoying Linux mint so far, been using it for about a week or so and for a plug and play os it does the job quite well.
I'm freeing myself from Windows one step at a time.

I dabbled with Ubuntu for 5-6 years but it went off in a direction that wasn't for me.
Tried OpenSUSE but had a number of hardware issues, and the "community/forums" were monumentally arrogant and unhelpful.

I have been using Mint/Cinnamon for the better part of a year and am extremely pleased, although I think that the the forum is very poorly organized and extremely difficult to search. Fortunately, the OS seems to work so well that I have not needed much help.

My first step breaking free from the Windows universe was to drop Photoshop Elements in favor of GIMP, a few years ago, and although the learning curve was painful it has worked out well. Then I started using LibreOffice in place of Office 2010, and today I am about 90/10, although I am an "easy" user and rarely do anything besides word processing and spreadsheets.

The best thing that I did though, 6-7 years ago, was to drop Outlook. That thing is a heartless bastard.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"