Author Topic: Looking for typing practice that includes chorded modifiers  (Read 3460 times)

Offline Dogbert

Looking for typing practice that includes chorded modifiers
« on: Sat, 29 July 2017, 14:34:32 »
I been searching for a typing tutorial/practice software/website that has the ability to practice chorded key combinations (Ctrl+Shift+F10, Ctrl+Alt+S, etc.). Ideally, I'd like chorded combos thrown into the middle of the standard text practice drills.

I know about typing.io which is geared towards coding. But it does not have (as far as I can tell) the ability to practice chorded combinations. And I need to practice those on my new layout.

Does anyone know of such a tutorial?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
Re: Looking for typing practice that includes chorded modifiers
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 29 July 2017, 14:55:50 »
Bookmarking typing.io for future investigation :) ty

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 29 July 2017, 18:08:47 »
Tough call. It needs to intercept all sorts of keystrokes before they're interpreted by the system/environment.

For text-editing shortcuts, there's stuff like shortcutfoo.com, but thats won't help you with stuff like function keys, that's likely to be intercepted by the window manager or other environment component earlier.

I think I've seen an option to configure GNU Typist that way, but I'm not really sure. That's a text-mode application in the first place; in GUI, it'd have to use SDL or other [game] library/engine/whatever—with a low-level input support.

Of course, if you have fully configurable firmware, then you can create a practice profile with dummy symbols/layers for practice. Perhaps that would be possible even with low-level remapping software.
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 July 2017, 18:10:31 by davkol »

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 29 July 2017, 23:08:39 »
Bookmarking typing.io for future investigation :) ty
Aye I am definitely checking this out as well. Thank you.