Author Topic: Budget Gateron Brown / double-shot PBT / o-ring build  (Read 2496 times)

Offline Cheveron

Budget Gateron Brown / double-shot PBT / o-ring build
« on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 07:59:45 »
I wanted to build a keyboard that won't annoy my colleagues as much for when I finally get to go back to the office.

Starting point was a Magicforce (US layout). Everyone keeps raving about Gateron browns so I thought I'd give them a go and they feel how I remember Cherry MX Browns. So happy about that. I don't really care for backlighting but since they had it next was a set of double-shot PBTs (because everyone raves about PBT). So I got the cheapest Chinese set I could find. I had to sand off excess material from the keys but other than that they're pretty good. Last was the o-rings. I found a place selling them dirt cheap. They about 0.4mm and they do the job. The keyboard is nice to type on and is now probably the quietest keyboard I own.

Offline piit79

Re: Budget Gateron Brown / double-shot PBT / o-ring build
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 06:17:41 »
Everyone keeps raving about Gateron browns

Don't think I ever heard anyone say much good about Browns, not to mention rave about them... The most enthusiastic statement I heard is "they're OK".

Which they are, I also started with Browns. But quickly ditched them as there's little point in them - they're hardly tactile at all, so either get properly tactile switches, or just use quality linears (I chose the latter).

But in the end, it's all very subjective. If you like them that's great!

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Budget Gateron Brown / double-shot PBT / o-ring build
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 16:24:53 »
Everyone keeps raving about Gateron browns
Don't think I ever heard anyone say much good about Browns, not to mention rave about them...
The usual complaint is browns are scratchy while Gaterons are knows as smooth - maybe it's a winning combination?

Board looks good and I'm sure your colleagues will appreciate the effort so well worth doing :thumb:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod