Author Topic: Making my own keyboard 'Bearhand BLE'  (Read 2304 times)

Offline dahun.kim@

Making my own keyboard 'Bearhand BLE'
« on: Sat, 30 April 2022, 13:42:08 »
HI, I'm Dahun Kim from South Korea.

I'm in the middle of developing my own mechanical keyboard named 'Bearhand'.
I just want to know how appeal it is because I'm alone and sometimes it is hard to keep going.
If I find out that someone is interested in this keyboard, I think I will be more empowered.

285700-0

Features

* Bluetooth Low Energy
 * Splited
 * Tilted forward 7 degrees
 * Tilted 7 degrees outwards
 * Lithium polymer battery (3000mah each)
 * Thick plate (about 3.5mm)
 * Powered by BlueMicro (nrf52840)

I'm majored in Computer Science and I'm not expert about 3D modeling and PCB design. In fact, I am an amateur for most of the work required.
I would appreciate it if you could share your opinion through comments.

I'll leave a link to my blog if you want to get more info. But it's written in Korean only.
https://blog.naver.com/lkozz44/222673845859

Oh, and I can't write a lot of information comfortably because I'm not good at English. I hope you understand.
Thank you for reading.
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 April 2022, 15:03:50 by dahun.kim@ »

Offline dahun.kim@

Re: Making my own keyboard 'Bearhand BLE'
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 30 April 2022, 14:23:45 »
285702-0

This is my goal.

And I have several problems to solve. For example, simple disassembly and assembly method design, or PCB design, or firmware stability, and manufacturing method and affordable price.
The keyboard is in a working state now, but it was made using an Amoeba PCB, and it was very difficult to make.

I'd like to try to get this keyboard to sell if possible.

Offline dahun.kim@

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 30 April 2022, 14:44:28 »
I have one question, do you think it doesn't make sense to do an interest check at this level?

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 30 April 2022, 21:49:46 »
Seems good to me. I suppose the plate is integrated 3D printed plate. If you want to bring this to more people you should also look into multiple lay-outs and maybe if possible go with PCB mount stabilizers. Otherwise from the design I don't think there is much wrong with it.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 01 May 2022, 04:34:01 »
Wireless is fashionable at the moment and split is healthy so this board would make a lot of people happy, the only bad thing is that thick milled brass(?) plate is going to be expensive.

If you only have the model for the 3D printing and want to sell a milled version it is very hard to do a proper IC - the most common reply will be "I'm in if it's cheap enough" so you need to get a price first :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline dahun.kim@

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 02 May 2022, 02:26:19 »
Seems good to me. I suppose the plate is integrated 3D printed plate. If you want to bring this to more people you should also look into multiple lay-outs and maybe if possible go with PCB mount stabilizers. Otherwise from the design I don't think there is much wrong with it.

Come to think of it, I think you're right. It would be nice if the supported layouts could be varied to suit more people's preferences!

Offline dahun.kim@

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 02 May 2022, 02:28:34 »
Wireless is fashionable at the moment and split is healthy so this board would make a lot of people happy, the only bad thing is that thick milled brass(?) plate is going to be expensive.

If you only have the model for the 3D printing and want to sell a milled version it is very hard to do a proper IC - the most common reply will be "I'm in if it's cheap enough" so you need to get a price first :)

Oh That's True... I have never asked for a quote for CNC cutting machining yet. I'll have to think about it to alleviate the cost burden. thanks :)

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 02 May 2022, 10:10:19 »
this is a really cool design, i would totally join a GB for this. I'm not sure if this will matter since it looks to be an integrated plate design but will there be options for multiple plate materials?

Offline dahun.kim@

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 02 May 2022, 13:20:31 »
this is a really cool design, i would totally join a GB for this. I'm not sure if this will matter since it looks to be an integrated plate design but will there be options for multiple plate materials?

Yes ofcourse. I plan to try to support different layouts and plate materials after PCB artwork.
One thing to say, the keyboard in the photo attached at the beginning of the thread was made with 3D printing.
I don't know how long it will take to start GB of this keyboard, but thanks for the positive comments.

Offline Kevin-3992

• kindlestar team
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 08 May 2022, 10:48:02 »
If the shape is softer, I think it can succeed

Offline VoteForDavid

• Vote For David
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 13 May 2022, 20:50:21 »
This is a brilliant idea. If I were a person who buys keyboards instead of making them for myself, this is the kind I would like to purchase.  The angle is good and the freedom to move the sections is good. I hope that you will be able to make this successfully!  :thumb:
Jesus loves you.

Offline dahun.kim@

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 13 May 2022, 21:18:32 »
If the shape is softer, I think it can succeed

Thanks for sharing your opinion.
Does 'softer shape' mean a more rounded shape? Or is it an abstract meaning?
Actually, the current angular shape is what I wanted and intended. However, I didn't think about other demands when making it :)

Offline dahun.kim@

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 13 May 2022, 21:23:16 »
This is a brilliant idea. If I were a person who buys keyboards instead of making them for myself, this is the kind I would like to purchase.  The angle is good and the freedom to move the sections is good. I hope that you will be able to make this successfully!  :thumb:

So you are another keyboard developer! Wow, I'm so glad to see your comment. Thanks for the good rating!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 13 May 2022, 21:57:41 »
Oh That's True... I have never asked for a quote for CNC cutting machining yet. I'll have to think about it to alleviate the cost burden. thanks :)
The brass plate can be water jetted or laser cut which is FAR cheaper than milling.
A machined aluminum case, that will destroy your wireless and destroy the affordability.

Unfortunately the tilt makes this require a lot of (expensive) milling, this is why budget tilted cases are done with legs or feet and often use laser cut plates for each layer.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline dahun.kim@

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 13 May 2022, 22:08:34 »
The brass plate can be water jetted or laser cut which is FAR cheaper than milling.
A machined aluminum case, that will destroy your wireless and destroy the affordability.

Unfortunately the tilt makes this require a lot of (expensive) milling, this is why budget tilted cases are done with legs or feet and often use laser cut plates for each layer.

Yes, I've been making this myself, and I've recently realized that there are better ways than CNC cutting.
If I had known and made it from the beginning, I think there would have been a better result.
However, attaching the legs to the case certainly has many advantages, but I don't really like it from the looks of it.
When designing the next version from scratch, I'll try to design it by fully reflecting the points I learned this time.

Thanks for the nice info. :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 May 2022, 22:10:22 by dahun.kim@ »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 14 May 2022, 02:14:40 »
Yes, I've been making this myself, and I've recently realized that there are better ways than CNC cutting.
If I had known and made it from the beginning, I think there would have been a better result.
However, attaching the legs to the case certainly has many advantages, but I don't really like it from the looks of it.
When designing the next version from scratch, I'll try to design it by fully reflecting the points I learned this time.

Thanks for the nice info. :)
You're welcome.
I wasn't trying to be a downer or push you one way or other, just trying to let you know the realities of it.
If you could mill that in plastic or metal for cheap I'm sure you'd get quite a bit of interest in it.

There is an option though, didn't even think of it earlier... Resin Casting
Because it's split and small enough to fit in a small bucket you don't need a big expensive vacuum chamber. Look up vacuum pots or DIY Harbor freight vacuum chamber. 3D print your pattern, maybe smooth it out with some paint and bondo, cast a mold in silicone, then cast the bodies from that. Then you can water jet/laser cut the plate and bottom plate. You would need a couple hundred dollars in supplies and equipment and you'd need to spend some time perfecting your technique and sizing, but from there you could cast them relatively cheap. Not 3d printed cheap but a heck of a lot cheaper than milling.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion