Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1265276 times)

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #5950 on: Fri, 01 April 2022, 12:36:06 »
Orange ALPS are heavily affected by switch condition. I've tried hand-restored Orange ALPS, lubed Orange ALPS, and Orange ALPS that were in about 65% condition. There is a distinct difference between all of them.

And you aren't getting the real experience with ~65% condition. The magic probably comes at 80% and higher.
Hey, I just waxmodded some orange alps! Can confirm, condition is a MAJOR factor. Before cleaning and modding they felt like complete, un-tactile, ass. Make sure you at least give them a clean.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5951 on: Fri, 01 April 2022, 13:40:54 »
Orange ALPS are heavily affected by switch condition. I've tried hand-restored Orange ALPS, lubed Orange ALPS, and Orange ALPS that were in about 65% condition. There is a distinct difference between all of them.

And you aren't getting the real experience with ~65% condition. The magic probably comes at 80% and higher.
Hey, I just waxmodded some orange alps! Can confirm, condition is a MAJOR factor. Before cleaning and modding they felt like complete, un-tactile, ass. Make sure you at least give them a clean.

I have always wanted an ultrasonic cleaner for firearms as well. On my list of things to buy if I ever own my own house.

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #5952 on: Sat, 02 April 2022, 16:45:58 »
i despise the PE foam mod, it ruins the uniqueness in switches and boards and makes every single board sound like marbles.
It can sound good but you ideally don't want 15 boards all sounding the same with hundreds of dollars of price difference

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5953 on: Sun, 03 April 2022, 21:08:57 »
i despise the PE foam mod, it ruins the uniqueness in switches and boards and makes every single board sound like marbles.
It can sound good but you ideally don't want 15 boards all sounding the same with hundreds of dollars of price difference

Wouldn't know, wouldn't care.  ;D

I imagine that counts as an unpopular opinion on its own.

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #5954 on: Sun, 03 April 2022, 21:43:01 »
I agree with a small caveat. There's certain boards it works for, but seeing people just cram it into everything is annoying. I love some thock, but not every board has to thock.
Hell I recently got an ASK and that board has some amazing thock without needing a single strip of foam.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.

Offline NoteMakoti

• for sale, baby shoes, never worn
« Reply #5955 on: Tue, 05 April 2022, 14:31:00 »
The problem with saying "It makes most boards sound the same!" is that the kind of person who not only buys multiple boards, but cares how they sound and wants them all to sound different is a minority of a minority, even in the keyboard hobby.

The sound "meta" sucks, tbh. It's morphed into financial cope; A way for people who haven't burnt themselves out on hype yet to go "THIS is why this board is worth [insert hundreds of dollars]!", but the truth is that you can make anything sound good with a bit of work. Much less work than even 3 years ago, back when MX switches were all made with crappy loose/scratchy molds and hollow traymounts were all the rage. The gap between those premium boards with lots of love and care put into them and budget boards with off-the-shelf unmodded switches and maybe a mod or two is more narrow than ever.

Offline jacobalbertus1

« Reply #5956 on: Tue, 19 April 2022, 13:27:14 »
topre is overpriced rubber domes with a spring capacitive PCB, cheap capacitive controller cheap to make I can make model f ones in low quantity for less than 20  and those use a pro micro and JLC PCB parts rubber domes CHEAPER than a thrift shop dell l100 case made of plastic CHEAP dye-sub PBT keycaps not that expensive
Model f 122 USB industrial paint (daily), model f xt inbox almost nos Ellipse approved, NOS model m ssk , Model F 77 for class (special needs I was told I had to use a mech or a key beeper by the school) model m 1391401 silver label ( this was a factory messup where they stuck a 139101 sticker on it and sent it with a ps/2) model m 1390131 model m unicomp industrial case modded  and a model f at

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #5957 on: Wed, 20 April 2022, 19:12:11 »

The feel of keycaps under my fingers:

"cherry" profile: floppy little plastic flakes like typing on a tray of "Kaboom!" breakfast cereal

Signature SA: the satisfyingly rock-solid quality feel of precious agates

« Reply #5958 on: Wed, 20 April 2022, 21:07:01 »
i think the 65%'s that have the same blocker for the arrow key cluster on the win key cluster look extremely bad and a 65% won't have symmetry anyways
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 April 2022, 16:40:41 by granola bar enthusiast »

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #5959 on: Thu, 21 April 2022, 09:44:17 »
topre is overpriced rubber domes with a spring capacitive PCB, cheap capacitive controller cheap to make I can make model f ones in low quantity for less than 20  and those use a pro micro and JLC PCB parts rubber domes CHEAPER than a thrift shop dell l100 case made of plastic CHEAP dye-sub PBT keycaps not that expensive

Topre EXPOSED!

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #5960 on: Sat, 23 April 2022, 12:33:42 »
Stepped caps lock is overrated

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5961 on: Sat, 23 April 2022, 13:12:14 »

I LOVE stepped key caps.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #5962 on: Sat, 23 April 2022, 13:46:01 »

I LOVE stepped key caps.

Dialing in the muscle memory to press the left side of the key has eluded me even after a few years of use :'(

Offline iri

« Reply #5963 on: Sat, 23 April 2022, 18:00:18 »
If I could parse this, I'd applaud you for destroying topre with facts and logic
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #5964 on: Sat, 23 April 2022, 18:11:21 »

I LOVE stepped key caps.
They look so good, but they're just get in the way. For caps lock I could definitely swing it because it'd prevent me from hitting caps during video games, but stuff like the enter would just fuuuuuck with me.

« Reply #5965 on: Sat, 23 April 2022, 18:34:21 »
i'm on the fence abt stepped caps, don't love it or hate but i will use it if it makes me accidentally press caps lock less, a few months back i ordered a  Mistel Keycap set from Amazon and it's stepped cap's was centered? weird

Offline Greywolf

« Reply #5966 on: Sat, 23 April 2022, 19:16:29 »
My opinions, worth what you pay for them:

- SA-P is the best key profile I have ever worked with.  SA non-profiled (all R3, for example) is a nightmare.
- The current backspace key needs to be two keys ( \| and ~`), The Backspace key needs to be (a 1.5u) just above the Return key,  Control directly left of 'A', and CAPS LOCK moved someplace where you won't hit it accidentally.
- Win keys make great remappable combo keys on non Windows boxes.
- All keyboards need Super, Hyper, Meta, AND Alt.
- Glowy is overrated unless and until you can get custom 2-shot backlit-compatible keys.  I wish I could find a set of Oblotzky ASCII caps (SA-P) in backlightable, but probably not in my lifetime.
- There should be two rows of F-keys [F1-12 and, above it, F13-24].  I'd say there should be a 2x5 bank of left-hand F-keys as well but I can do with having a separate keypad for that.
- Compact FF keyboards are HIGHLY overrated.  I have one and even mapped out it's a royal pain in the left patella to use.
- Artisan keycaps are HIGHLY overrated.
- The "Media Keys" on keyboards, with the exception of mute and the volume knob, really need to just be standard switch keys above the NP if one exists; or in a vertical row of 4 on the far right if not.
- Print Screen/Scroll Lock/Break need to be moved down one row.
- The 1800 layout is off-putting (but it might be worth a look).

Offline jacobalbertus1

« Reply #5967 on: Sat, 23 April 2022, 21:19:13 »
If I could parse this, I'd applaud you for destroying topre with facts and logic

it's so true tho I get parts made for IBM model f's and beam springs all the time so I know what all the sensing electronics cost to make on a SMALL scale, we already know its much cheaper on a mass scale, all i don't know almost exact cost is the topre domes sliders plates and springs but that can be all that much if unicomp can pump out a model m for 100 with good profit than why is a HHKB 200 or more
Model f 122 USB industrial paint (daily), model f xt inbox almost nos Ellipse approved, NOS model m ssk , Model F 77 for class (special needs I was told I had to use a mech or a key beeper by the school) model m 1391401 silver label ( this was a factory messup where they stuck a 139101 sticker on it and sent it with a ps/2) model m 1390131 model m unicomp industrial case modded  and a model f at

Offline hvontres

• Buckling Spring Enthusiast - Full Size Evangelist
« Reply #5968 on: Wed, 27 April 2022, 00:17:45 »
My opinions, worth what you pay for them:

- SA-P is the best key profile I have ever worked with.  SA non-profiled (all R3, for example) is a nightmare.
- The current backspace key needs to be two keys ( \| and ~`), The Backspace key needs to be (a 1.5u) just above the Return key,  Control directly left of 'A', and CAPS LOCK moved someplace where you won't hit it accidentally.
- Win keys make great remappable combo keys on non Windows boxes.
- All keyboards need Super, Hyper, Meta, AND Alt.
- Glowy is overrated unless and until you can get custom 2-shot backlit-compatible keys.  I wish I could find a set of Oblotzky ASCII caps (SA-P) in backlightable, but probably not in my lifetime.
- There should be two rows of F-keys [F1-12 and, above it, F13-24].  I'd say there should be a 2x5 bank of left-hand F-keys as well but I can do with having a separate keypad for that.
- Compact FF keyboards are HIGHLY overrated.  I have one and even mapped out it's a royal pain in the left patella to use.
- Artisan keycaps are HIGHLY overrated.
- The "Media Keys" on keyboards, with the exception of mute and the volume knob, really need to just be standard switch keys above the NP if one exists; or in a vertical row of 4 on the far right if not.
- Print Screen/Scroll Lock/Break need to be moved down one row.
- The 1800 layout is off-putting (but it might be worth a look).

Well, it is a psuedo 1800, but I LOVE the extra row of F keys on my Boston (link in signature)
Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #5969 on: Wed, 27 April 2022, 01:01:00 »

Well, it is a psuedo 1800, but I LOVE the extra row of F keys on my Boston (link in signature)

(....cries softly inside....)   :(

« Reply #5970 on: Wed, 27 April 2022, 08:40:18 »
i also think that you should never EVER use tactiles on a plateless board, all the bounce combined with the bump just feels too weird

Offline yui

« Reply #5971 on: Fri, 29 April 2022, 14:54:19 »
i also think that you should never EVER use tactiles on a plateless board, all the bounce combined with the bump just feels too weird
now you make me want to try to feel it, if only i had tactile switches around... and a pcb i was willing to "sacrifice"
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline mljs54

• Team Topre
« Reply #5972 on: Fri, 06 May 2022, 20:53:29 »
[wrong reply]
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 May 2022, 21:15:27 by mljs54 »
ReΛlforce 87UB EK

Offline Kevin-3992

• kindlestar team
« Reply #5973 on: Sun, 08 May 2022, 10:43:48 »
This post is so helpful

Offline VaporKeebs

« Reply #5974 on: Mon, 23 May 2022, 04:05:09 »
r/budgetkeyboards is the new "stop gatekeeping our gatekeeping" corner.

r/mechanicalkeyboards is the new spot for budgetkeebs and GMK hate .

r/customkeebs is the only place worth visiting anymore... aside from GH.

My reasoning... post a nice custom board on r/mk with GMK caps and people will ignore it because "must be nice to be rich". Post the same board on r/ck where they legit have only 10% as many viewers and it'll get upvoted like crazy because they actually like nice stuff there.

Forget about budget keebs... they banned me for telling someone Gateron makes better products than Akko and their milky yellows are cheaper than most anything Akko sells. Got banned for "sharing my opinion as a fact" LMFAO but the mods will claim up and down I was harassing someone... too bad I got receipts from when a mod let me back in because "I dont see anything youve done wrong". LOL

« Reply #5975 on: Mon, 23 May 2022, 10:05:16 »
i agree with this, r/mechanicalkeyboards has over the years, converted from a reddit of individuals who were interested in the subject and wanted to help each other out, and now to some of those and the majority being those who are just there because "it's the new "trend"
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 May 2022, 12:22:23 by granola bar enthusiast »

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #5976 on: Mon, 23 May 2022, 10:55:24 »

My reasoning... post a nice custom board on r/mk with GMK caps and people will ignore it because "must be nice to be rich". Post the same board on r/ck where they legit have only 10% as many viewers and it'll get upvoted like crazy because they actually like nice stuff there.

Forget about budget keebs... they banned me for telling someone Gateron makes better products than Akko and their milky yellows are cheaper than most anything Akko sells. Got banned for "sharing my opinion as a fact" LMFAO but the mods will claim up and down I was harassing someone... too bad I got receipts from when a mod let me back in because "I dont see anything youve done wrong". LOL
Imagine using reddit.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5977 on: Mon, 23 May 2022, 11:57:10 »

Imagine using reddit.

I can't.
I have looked at it a few times but I can't understand it.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5978 on: Mon, 23 May 2022, 14:56:03 »

Imagine using reddit.

I can't.
I have looked at it a few times but I can't understand it.

It works for Googling specific information, just to read through previous conversations on there. Even that is a chore with how the comment section works on that terrible website. Basically totally unusable otherwise if you ask me.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #5979 on: Mon, 23 May 2022, 14:58:14 »
Sometimes when I’m looking for a normal person opinion I’ll just search something like “xxxx recommendation Reddit”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #5980 on: Tue, 24 May 2022, 23:18:08 »
Sometimes when I’m looking for a normal person opinion I’ll just search something like “xxxx recommendation Reddit”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I assume you use the opposite of what comes up on reddit, because dear lord are there some ****stains on reddit, and oh boy do they love to spread their god awful opinions.

Offline fortissim2

« Reply #5981 on: Tue, 31 May 2022, 10:06:13 »
r/mk is just a comedically large echo chamber of GMK groupbuys and generic-ass 60%s and 65%s. Basically, there's really nothing spectacular in that subreddit.

Offline selsik

« Reply #5982 on: Tue, 31 May 2022, 16:34:38 »

r/mk is pleb central, r/ck is the only place worth visiting anymore

i have zero interest in seeing the millionth GMMK pro with xda keycaps... if i have to see xda matcha or xda bee honey one more time i'm gonna vomit on my realforce r2
« Last Edit: Tue, 31 May 2022, 16:37:09 by selsik »
Topre >>> MX

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #5983 on: Tue, 31 May 2022, 21:58:09 »
if i have to see xda matcha or xda bee honey one more time i'm gonna vomit on my realforce r2

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

« Reply #5984 on: Tue, 31 May 2022, 23:59:41 »
R2 realforce  :-X

R1 87u best layout

Offline selsik

« Reply #5985 on: Wed, 01 June 2022, 01:50:25 »
if i have to see xda matcha or xda bee honey one more time i'm gonna vomit on my realforce r2

Show Image

lol you actually spent money on that horrid keycap set

arguably the ugliest light green i've ever seen
i don't have to vomit, the puke's already mounted on your keyboard
Topre >>> MX

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #5986 on: Wed, 01 June 2022, 10:42:18 »
I also put it on a generic 65% for your viewing pleasure. Hope you noticed.

It's just for laughs, as I don't type on XDA profile.

I actually agree that there are way too many 65% keyboards posted on r/mk. I don't find it to be a space that caters to my preferences.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5987 on: Wed, 01 June 2022, 13:50:08 »
I also put it on a generic 65% for your viewing pleasure. Hope you noticed.

It's just for laughs, as I don't type on XDA profile.

I actually agree that there are way too many 65% keyboards posted on r/mk. I don't find it to be a space that caters to my preferences.

I liked both, although I don't think those caps go well with that case.

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #5988 on: Thu, 02 June 2022, 19:51:48 »

Show Image

Looks very nice!

« Reply #5989 on: Fri, 03 June 2022, 10:36:49 »
Vintage keyboards are absoulout ****. Yall really need to start using newer keyboards. Get yo old ass head out of the ****in ground and start using the newer stuff.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5990 on: Fri, 03 June 2022, 10:48:09 »

Get yo old ass head out of the ****in ground and start using the newer stuff.

Hey, I never thought about that. Good idea !

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5991 on: Fri, 03 June 2022, 15:09:38 »
Vintage keyboards are absoulout ****. Yall really need to start using newer keyboards. Get yo old ass head out of the ****in ground and start using the newer stuff.

Think of this in the reverse, which is what is actually the case. People typically try modern switches, feel there's something missing and/or have an insatiable appetite for something new/different, try vintage mechanisms ... discover they're vastly superior and then begin finding every opportunity to use vintage mechanisms instead because nothing else can compare anymore. I try other modern switches just to try to find something cheaper than buying Models F and playing the SKCM lottery that's at least acceptably enjoyable to type with.

Have you tried any good vintage switches? Would it be an accurate stereotype for me to assume that all you've ever tried is MX derivatives, and maybe some heavily abused Model M, and you've already determined that everything but your preference sucks?

If so, I was once like you. As many of us were.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 June 2022, 15:38:42 by Maledicted »

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #5992 on: Sat, 04 June 2022, 10:57:06 »
Hey you're that guy from like, two days ago, who made a whiny piss baby post about vintage computers or something. Bit of advice, come up with a less obvious alt.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #5993 on: Sat, 04 June 2022, 16:15:49 »

Show Image

Looks very nice!

Thanks. I think the gray / smoky transparent cases go well with green sets [Matcha, Botanical], but it can be divisive.

Other people frequently use Dolch-like sets, including Modern Dolch. I've put MT3 3277 on a charcoal MK870, which looks good. But sometimes, the Dolch sets are too drab on charcoal, IMHO.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5994 on: Sat, 04 June 2022, 21:36:51 »

Show Image

Looks very nice!

Thanks. I think the gray / smoky transparent cases go well with green sets [Matcha, Botanical], but it can be divisive.

Other people frequently use Dolch-like sets, including Modern Dolch. I've put MT3 3277 on a charcoal MK870, which looks good. But sometimes, the Dolch sets are too drab on charcoal, IMHO.

Dolch is great, but it can be over-done. Not that I'm some kind of keyboard fashionista anyway.

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #5995 on: Sat, 04 June 2022, 21:57:06 »
Beige vintage caps are better than granite/charcoal/gray caps

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

« Reply #5996 on: Sun, 05 June 2022, 00:19:38 »
I feel like this is the popular opinion here, given the number of beige sets we've seen along with all the beige add-on kits.

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #5997 on: Sun, 05 June 2022, 08:45:18 »
I feel like this is the popular opinion here, given the number of beige sets we've seen along with all the beige add-on kits.
Probably. The more I read this thread the more I realize I have popular opinions.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #5998 on: Sun, 05 June 2022, 09:25:12 »

IIRC, KBDFans advertised the charcoal KBD67 Lite by using beige vintage-style caps. Actually, they were GMK Muted colour in tint, looked a lot like Artifact Bloom "Vintage."

This was back in R1.

I think it's fine, even great. But I tend to use such keycaps on black/white and especially white polycarb boards (e.g. 9009).

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #5999 on: Fri, 10 June 2022, 21:38:34 »

Unpopular opinion #4209235:

I've been hanging out here for a couple years and I just realized that I'm extremely "meh" about 99% of the keyboards people talk about.