Author Topic: [IC] 651 Keyboard - A Minimalist 65% - Project Open Sourced  (Read 39584 times)

Offline TuCZnak

Re: [IC] 651 Keyboard - A Minimalist 65%
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 16 June 2019, 02:07:24 »
I'm working with someone on the Bluetooth. I'm pretty sure it won't be QMK, but it will be something like TMK instead. Eitherway it will be reprogrammable in someway. 

To be honest, I'd rather have QMK than Bluetooth, if these two were mutually exclusive. QMK supports BT though, so what's the issue?

Offline Marutks

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 16 June 2019, 07:52:00 »
I am not sure if bluetooth is a good idea

+ LEDs/backlighting will drain battery very quickly
+ how will bluetooth signal escape thick aluminium case?

Offline spooknik

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 16 June 2019, 10:27:28 »

If someone wants to run LEDs and backlighting  on battery that's their choice. You can actually fit a pretty big battery in the case, so you'd probably get a few hours of battery life. These things can be turned off of course. The board can also be plugged in if the lights want to be run for longer term.

The bluetooth module will be mounted on the bottom of the PCB by the space bar, so the plate will have an extra hole in it to let the signal out. This is what the CA66 is doing and I've heard it works pretty well. Of course we'll test it and if it doesn't work we'll figure something else out.

I'm working with someone on the Bluetooth. I'm pretty sure it won't be QMK, but it will be something like TMK instead. Eitherway it will be reprogrammable in someway. 

To be honest, I'd rather have QMK than Bluetooth, if these two were mutually exclusive. QMK supports BT though, so what's the issue?

Well, there will be a non-bluetooth version of the PCB that will 100% have QMK (I already have that made). A bluetooth PCB will be available as an upgrade.

QMK has only been tested on some hardware, most of it being pretty expensive. Whereas something like ydkb can use the cheap and common hc01 module. (KBDfans YD68 did this)

Offline hansikhouse

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 10:34:03 »
Would definitely be in for white. Prototype looks so cleaaaaaan.

Offline GigaFlop

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 27 June 2019, 19:29:47 »
I like the understated chunkiness of this. Looks hefty, but not too hefty.
Oh god why did my wallet get so thin

Offline cronohack

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 27 June 2019, 20:09:42 »
I think it looks great even with the thick bezels. Personally though if it's going to be bulky, why not add more uniqueness to it? Something like what CA66 did with the layout. Anyway that's just me.

Offline spooknik

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 05:51:42 »
I think it looks great even with the thick bezels. Personally though if it's going to be bulky, why not add more uniqueness to it? Something like what CA66 did with the layout. Anyway that's just me.

I wanted to do a 'classic' layout first.

I like what the CA66 does for layout though and designing a version with that layout wouldn't be that difficult. Might happen in the future, who knows.  ;D

Call me crazy, but without a brass weight and plate, it's actually not unreasonably heavy. It won't move while you type, but picking it up isn't a strain.

This is pretty subjective though, lots of people have told me it looks way too heavy.

Offline ZG2047

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 15:20:24 »
I would buy the PCB if it's compatible

Offline GigaFlop

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 22:12:20 »

Call me crazy, but without a brass weight and plate, it's actually not unreasonably heavy. It won't move while you type, but picking it up isn't a strain.

This is pretty subjective though, lots of people have told me it looks way too heavy.

It *looks* solid and hefty. I currently use a hipro alu case on a Tada68, and I'm a fan of the heft.

Offline derPuntigamer

• NorDe is nonnegotiable
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 03 July 2019, 02:31:33 »

If someone wants to run LEDs and backlighting  on battery that's their choice. You can actually fit a pretty big battery in the case, so you'd probably get a few hours of battery life. These things can be turned off of course. The board can also be plugged in if the lights want to be run for longer term.

The bluetooth module will be mounted on the bottom of the PCB by the space bar, so the plate will have an extra hole in it to let the signal out. This is what the CA66 is doing and I've heard it works pretty well. Of course we'll test it and if it doesn't work we'll figure something else out.

Well, there will be a non-bluetooth version of the PCB that will 100% have QMK (I already have that made). A bluetooth PCB will be available as an upgrade.

QMK has only been tested on some hardware, most of it being pretty expensive. Whereas something like ydkb can use the cheap and common hc01 module. (KBDfans YD68 did this)

Does this mean that you would be able to start the groupbuy if bluetooth would not be an option? I have got it from some other ICs as well, that adding bluetooth is serious effort (QMK compatibility, battery, antenne / interference with an alu case) and I don't know what percentage of people are interested in Bluetooth (have never seen IC results on the topic).

Offline tobiasvl

• ISO 9995
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 03 July 2019, 02:50:47 »
What is it about Bluetooth that makes QMK infeasible, but TMK feasible? QMK is a fork of TMK, has it diverged that much? Perhaps the community could port it to QMK, I think that's been done for several TMK boards in the past?

I kinda agree with the people who say that this keyboard doesn't do too much new stuff (not that that's a problem), but if it had Bluetooth and QMK it would be something special.

Offline spooknik

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 03 July 2019, 04:17:59 »
What is it about Bluetooth that makes QMK infeasible, but TMK feasible? QMK is a fork of TMK, has it diverged that much? Perhaps the community could port it to QMK, I think that's been done for several TMK boards in the past?

I kinda agree with the people who say that this keyboard doesn't do too much new stuff (not that that's a problem), but if it had Bluetooth and QMK it would be something special.

From what i understand Bluetooth hardware support for QMK is limited. So you have to use exact hardware for it to work. I'm working with PlayKeyboard who used a designer that seemed to figure it out for the G60BLE.

Yea, I'm really pushing for Bluetooth here, I think a lot of people would jump on board for that.

Does this mean that you would be able to start the groupbuy if bluetooth would not be an option? I have got it from some other ICs as well, that adding bluetooth is serious effort (QMK compatibility, battery, antenne / interference with an alu case) and I don't know what percentage of people are interested in Bluetooth (have never seen IC results on the topic).

I would like to have the BT PCB ready for the GB. I'm working with PlayKeyboard on it, they know a designer who made the G60BLE PCB. The battery will fit in the spot for the internal weight. Signal for BT will go through a cutout in the plate. I'm told this works well.

Roughly half of the people who filled out the IC said they wanted Bluetooth, so it's important to have.

Worst case if it takes a few months to get the BT PCB ready, then we'll got ahead with the GB and sell the BT PCBs at a later time. Not ideal, but it's a possibility.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 July 2019, 04:26:01 by spooknik »

Offline derPuntigamer

• NorDe is nonnegotiable
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 09 July 2019, 15:42:56 »
Since you have a working prototype, do you have a rough price estimate (range) for the non-bluetooth version?

Offline GigaFlop

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 18 July 2019, 22:30:23 »
Looking over it again, and liking it more. I'm a recent split-backspace convert, and split-shift feels like a necessity.

Offline xantiema

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 08:57:50 »
Any timetable available yet? I highly prefer this to some of other 65% ICs ongoing r.n.  :p

Offline nyry43

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 09:12:00 »
I've never typed on a keyboard with a bezel like that, so I can't speak to its practicality. I can, however, say that I think it is quite aesthetically pleasing!

Offline vidoardes

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 09:31:20 »
Very nice, I am definitely interested. I quite liked the side aligned USB, but I understand  if the consensus is for middle, and I am very happy about ISO support.

I would be gunning for dark grey, very interested to see how this turns out!

Offline ecbob

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 11:41:49 »
Is there a price estimate?

Offline Protein

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 12:02:40 »
This is my cup of tea, clean and simple. I'd be in for a noblocker and no bluetooth kit if the price is right.

Offline sheldon

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 13:13:08 »

Also a picture with Alps swtiches and AEK/M0116 Caps.

Show Image

Show Image

Is this bottom row (1.5/1.25/1.5) actually possible? In any case, I'm +1 for having a Tsangan bottom row (1.5/1/1.5)
Another niche request, but can the ALPs layouts have split backspace and split right-shift as well?  ;D

Offline snaranda0305

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 26 August 2019, 04:58:32 »
Ne update?

Offline spooknik

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 11:35:16 »
Just a heads up, I made all the project files available here. Anyone can do whatever they wish with them  :thumb:

Offline ACF101015

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 14:43:04 »
Just a heads up, I made all the project files available here. Anyone can do whatever they wish with them  :thumb:

Will you still be pushing this to GB?

Offline spooknik

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 14:55:36 »

Probably not. Just don't have time or money right now. But never say never ;D

Offline Kinesiologist

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 17:35:52 »
Is this considered a high profile case? Either way it looks nice though. Looking forward to hearing more.

Offline rondg

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 17:41:29 »

Whatever we wish? Let's say I want to make a 75% version of your case design... Will this be okay?  ;D

Offline xantiema

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 18:23:00 »

Whatever we wish? Let's say I want to make a 75% version of your case design... Will this be okay?  ;D

Hit us up, if you go through with it   :cool:

Offline spooknik

« Reply #77 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 23:25:39 »
Is this considered a high profile case? Either way it looks nice though. Looking forward to hearing more.

Yes it is  :thumb:

Yes absolutely. Go for it, that would be cool to see.

Offline Kinesiologist

Re: [IC] 651 Keyboard - A Minimalist 65% - Project Open Sourced
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 14:53:51 »
Thank you very much, the board is looking real good, can't wait for the GB. Cheers.

Offline Beerbezerker

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 17:33:15 »
It has a commanding presence, I like it! (you put it over the top for me with split space + backspace)

Offline Kinesiologist

« Reply #80 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 11:38:04 »
The interest check form website is not working, its showing an Error 404.

Offline rondg

« Reply #81 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 12:09:03 »
The interest check form website is not working, its showing an Error 404.

Probably not. Just don't have time or money right now. But never say never ;D

Offline GigaFlop

« Reply #82 on: Sat, 08 February 2020, 18:59:53 »

Thanks for the files. I was looking to get an PCB fabricated with the SMD components, but have generally no idea what I'm doing with this. So far, I've found everything but a CPL file in the archive. Do you happen to have one somewhere?

If anyone out there has done this before, I'm also looking for recommendations on where to get this fabricated. Currently looking at JLPCB, since they were one of the google ads listed.

Offline Fezznat

« Reply #83 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 03:45:38 »
If anyone out there has done this before, I'm also looking for recommendations on where to get this fabricated. Currently looking at JLPCB, since they were one of the google ads listed.
I used JLPCB a while ago to build PCBs from the UT47 github, and they turned out great (I use one of them regularly). Not sure how complicated these ones would be comparatively, but I've seen other places (like 40percent.club) recommend them as well

Offline GigaFlop

« Reply #84 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 11:43:04 »
I used JLPCB a while ago to build PCBs from the UT47 github, and they turned out great (I use one of them regularly). Not sure how complicated these ones would be comparatively, but I've seen other places (like 40percent.club) recommend them as well

ah, I was also looking at that for another project. Did you do the SMD yourself?

Offline NumnerMan

« Reply #85 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 14:27:21 »
I love chunky bezels (especially a thicc forehead) and I think this is a really well designed chunk. There’s something about the edges that I find almost comforting. Anyways I was looking at the renders and think that the white would look better if it was more of a cream color.

P.s. the IC link wasn’t working for me

Offline GigaFlop

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 17:34:58 »

Thanks for the files. I was looking to get an PCB fabricated with the SMD components, but have generally no idea what I'm doing with this. So far, I've found everything but a CPL file in the archive. Do you happen to have one somewhere?

Found out how to generate the file from KiCad. Now to see about the other work I need to do..

Offline migbrgd

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 11:52:06 »
Looks really good! I have a few questions for you! If ever you have time, send an email my way at mig360@live.ca Cheers!!

Offline migbrgd

« Reply #88 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 12:05:20 »
It looks amazing! I have a few question about the keyboard! If you could shoot me an email at mig360@live.ca That'd be awesome :)

Offline GigaFlop

« Reply #89 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 19:27:12 »

Found out how to generate the file from KiCad. Now to see about the other work I need to do..

Turns out JLPCB's SMT line is closed for coronavirus. Looks like I'm putting this off for a while.

Offline GigaFlop

« Reply #90 on: Sun, 01 March 2020, 19:13:54 »
The SMT line is open again, and it looks like every part except the 32u4 is available. Time to wait some more, it looks like.

Edit: Does this LED placement look off?

Also, gotta figure out the positioning for the USB connector. It seems to have escaped the generated POS file.
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 March 2020, 19:18:31 by GigaFlop »

Offline neru

« Reply #91 on: Wed, 15 December 2021, 22:17:21 »
May I ask how much did it cost you to do one prototype case ?