Author Topic: [GB] DCD Hundred Acres | UPDATE  (Read 117954 times)

Offline Beesley

• B-Imaginative
[GB] DCD Hundred Acres | UPDATE
« on: Sun, 01 January 2023, 01:38:28 »
KBM DCD Hundred Acres

UPDATE

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all your patience, we are happy to finally announce that we will be working with Drop on completing Hundred Acres!

After the news broke about Otakeebs & KBM winding down their operations, they reached out to Cthalupa and I to discuss potential salvage options for this set.

What was ultimately decided is that Drop will manufacture the Hundred Acres set using their DCD profile, and offer the set (along with desk mats and artisans purchased) to customers of the original group buy.

This would come at minimal additional cost ($1 + shipping costs) to affected individuals.

Stay tuned for more information on the process to claim your set from the initial group buy. We are still working through the logistical challenges of accomplishing this in a smooth and intuitive manner, and will have more to share in the coming weeks.

A huge thanks goes out to Drop for graciously helping stepping in to ensure everyone can get what they paid for.

FAQ:

Will there be any extras available?
Yes, Drop has confirmed that there will be extras of Hundred Acres available

Do you have an ETA on fulfillment?
Currently no, there are lots of details to work out, along with manufacturing, but we will update with more information as soon as we have it

I did a charge back how does this affect me?
If you did a charge back, you will not be elegible for claiming your original GB order for $1 + Shipping

Does this cover the H75 keyboard, honey switch and mouse?
Unfortunately not, these were collaborations that are out of our control.

Cherry Profile

By
Beesley & Cthalupa

Public Domain

At the start of 2022, the first Winnie-the-Pooh book entered the public domain, including both the writing of author A.A. Milne and illustrator E.H. Shepard, allowing the artwork and story to be used without requirement to be licensed by Disney.

We have made a conscious decision to stick to the main artwork from the book for all of our novelty drawings, with minor adjustments to make them suitable for DyeSub.

Our goal is to recapture the whimsy and childhood delight embodied by Pooh Bear and his friends - please join us in our adventure to the Hundred Acre Woods!

Kitting

Colours

Deskmats
Deskmap designed by Cartographybird Maps

Collabs

Keybee Metal Artisans

Renders - By Beesley

Slab65 - By Timothy

Iron65 - Smith & Rune

Beesley Discord Server

Cthalupa Discord Server

Support this kit by using the signature below

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=118469][img]https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/62bc3ca4a736e83f2e63134b/f2d193b9-32cb-4213-849b-8a2753656daa/Banner.jpg?[/img][/url]

Special thanks to everyone who supported us through the design of of this set
OtaBen, Jack, SpikedSynapse & ImperfectLink
An even bigger thanks to my amazing Fiancée for putting up with me doing all of this!
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 February 2024, 12:41:05 by Beesley »

Offline Beesley

• B-Imaginative
Re: [GB] KBM Hundred Acres | Vendors live! | International Shipping!
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 01 January 2023, 09:44:34 »

UPDATE

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all your patience, we are happy to finally announce that we will be working with Drop on completing Hundred Acres!

After the news broke about Otakeebs & KBM winding down their operations, they reached out to Cthalupa and I to discuss potential salvage options for this set.

What was ultimately decided is that Drop will manufacture the Hundred Acres set using their DCD profile, and offer the set (along with desk mats and artisans purchased) to customers of the original group buy.

This would come at minimal additional cost ($1 + shipping costs) to affected individuals.

Stay tuned for more information on the process to claim your set from the initial group buy. We are still working through the logistical challenges of accomplishing this in a smooth and intuitive manner, and will have more to share in the coming weeks.

A huge thanks goes out to Drop for graciously helping stepping in to ensure everyone can get what they paid for.

FAQ:

Currently no, there are lots of details to work out, along with manufacturing, but we will update with more information as soon as we have it

If you did a charge back, you will not be elegible for claiming your original GB order for $1 + Shipping

« Last Edit: Fri, 09 February 2024, 12:30:35 by Beesley »

Offline ankit

• Formerly ankit-sachdeva
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 01 January 2023, 09:46:38 »
What is the purpose of 2 1.5u pipes?
collection:
More
  Daal, Emp Mini, HHKB x5, Horsey, Prophet, RS60, Seis Cero, Unikorn, Pixy Mini

Offline Beesley

• B-Imaginative
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 01 January 2023, 09:47:52 »
What is the purpose of 2 1.5u pipes?

Good point you are the 1st to notice this I'll get it fixed

Online dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 02 January 2023, 19:34:10 »

Edit: revised scale
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 February 2023, 16:18:21 by dvorcol »

Online dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 08 January 2023, 18:30:42 »

Edit: revised scale
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 February 2023, 16:18:59 by dvorcol »

Offline BlueTongue

[GB] KBM Hundred Acres | Vendors live! | International Shipping!
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 09 January 2023, 03:39:23 »
I ordered one for my wife.
She very like piglet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 January 2023, 03:58:46 by BlueTongue »

Offline Beesley

• B-Imaginative
Re: [GB] KBM Hundred Acres | MOQ for all Kits Met! | International Shipping!
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 15 January 2023, 05:38:33 »
MOQ  Met!
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 January 2023, 09:28:41 by Beesley »

Offline Beesley

• B-Imaginative
Re: [GB] KBM Hundred Acres | MOQ Met! | International Shipping!
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 21 January 2023, 11:35:40 »
10 Days Left!

More Sample Photos! From CaptainSterling!

Offline Beesley

• B-Imaginative
Re: [GB] KBM Hundred Acres | International Shipping! | More Sample Photos!
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 25 January 2023, 23:57:27 »
2 week GB in ZFrontier by popular demand!

Offline Beesley

• B-Imaginative
Re: [GB] KBM Hundred Acres | GB Extended by Popular Demand!
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 02 February 2023, 00:20:26 »
GB extended to the 11th Feb by popular demand!

Offline c0d3r

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 03 February 2023, 15:52:51 »
Totally confused about the keycap colors, are these just pure white (from sample photo) or milk white (from Renders)?

Offline Beesley

• B-Imaginative
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 03 February 2023, 16:38:02 »
Totally confused about the keycap colors, are these just pure white (from sample photo) or milk white (from Renders)?

They are close to the Render colours, they weren't the greatest sample photos you can see much better ones here: https://sterlingcophotography.pixieset.com/hundredacrewoods/

EDIT: Lighting has a large impact on light coloured plastics, and the first sample photos where taken under a white light leading to them looking almost white.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 February 2023, 16:40:40 by Beesley »

Offline cthalupa

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 04 February 2023, 13:01:53 »
They are close to the Render colours, they weren't the greatest sample photos you can see much better ones here: https://sterlingcophotography.pixieset.com/hundredacrewoods/

Harsh!  ;D

EDIT: Lighting has a large impact on light coloured plastics, and the first sample photos where taken under a white light leading to them looking almost white.

Yep! We talk a lot about color matching in the IC, but I'll take a second to chat about it here, too.

What you see on a screen is always going to be an imperfect representation of the physical product - even with fully calibrated monitors, a lot of time spent tweaking colors, comparing with high CRI bulbs, etc., it's simply impossible to get a perfect match, and that's even staying within our fully calibrated setup. Throw in what everyone else sees, with monitors that might be uncalibrated, calibrated to a different gamma point, or even calibrated but with different coverage of sRGB, and things start to look even more different. Now if you throw in photos of real life things, and lighting has a huge impact on how colors appear, as does the camera itself. The sample photos were taken with a camera that has it's own color correction profiles calibrated to the lighting, and the shots were lit with high CRI lights, but it is quite bright.

All of that might sound like a lot of handwaving and making excuses as to why renders and reality never fully meet, but it is really just to explain why we rely on physical standards in the end, as well as hard data. We have RAL colors picked for everything. The renders were matched to it as best as possible, and the target for the samples was also for these colors. Once the samples arrived, they were examined with a spectrophotometer - basically a device that tells us the color composition of a material under controlled lighting situations - and compared against out physical RAL samples. We can use the details on the differences in color to help the factory tweak the color for future samples. The white, for example, is quite close - it's on the edge of what most humans can perceive -  but we still are asking the factory to revise and get it closer. In this case, the caps are actually a shade darker than the white we're targeting, despite my sample photos making them look brighter than the renders show.

As the process continues we'll keep providing updates on the color matching, provide photos, and I'll provide the delta E (Objective measure of color difference between two colors.) for the final approved colors.

Offline for1nner

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 16 February 2023, 10:15:27 »
Any updates?

Curious where the numbers are vs. MOQ, and (if any) updates on color/samples/pics.

Gonna be hard waiting for this production run - things look great!

Offline Beesley

• B-Imaginative
Re: [GB] KBM Hundred Acres | GB Closed!
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 16 February 2023, 10:19:47 »
We have just finalised numbers incl. extras! 1000 Basekits incl. extras - Dvorcol Graph will follow soon

We will update as frequently as we get information on more samples, production and fulfilment time

Thank you everyone for the support it has been truly outstanding!

Online dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 16 February 2023, 16:20:08 »

More
<-- without extras

Offline Beesley

• B-Imaginative
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 08 March 2023, 12:01:20 »
Update:

Desk mat samples are in progress
R2 colour samples are in progress
Packaging design in progress

Offline for1nner

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 05 April 2023, 23:05:40 »
👀👀👀

Y'all got any o' them UPDATES?

Offline Beesley

• B-Imaginative
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 06 April 2023, 00:34:06 »
👀👀👀

Y'all got any o' them UPDATES?

We received deskmat samples, few tweaks need to be made to get them perfect. These should arrive soon.

Next batch of keycap samples will be produced soon once Love Detective is finished manufacturing

Offline for1nner

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 10 April 2023, 10:31:27 »
Thank you kindly, looking forward to this!

Guess I should use this as an excuse to get a new board, too... :)

Offline cthalupa

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 18 June 2023, 03:31:33 »
Discord is a bit more active on updates, but just to make sure this is updated:

We approved the cream color for the injected molded colors, and we're waiting on the production queue to have a gap to get round 2 samples on the dyesub (grey and red) colors. We were able to get the cream matched to a roughly 1 deltaE which is effectively imperceptible to most humans - and that's physical sample (ral book) to physical sample (physical keycap). Since the base color is approved, injection molding production can run in parallel while waiting for us to finalize dyesub colors.

Latest round of deskmat samples should be shipping shortly
Packaging design is completed

I'll make sure to get the GH post updated sooner once we have additional updates on color samples.

Offline Boyten8

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 14 August 2023, 13:46:27 »
Updates? Heard it will be in production/shipped Sept-Oct. Is that right?

Offline cthalupa

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 14 August 2023, 17:15:19 »
Updates? Heard it will be in production/shipped Sept-Oct. Is that right?
We still need to get samples of and approve the two dyesub colors and are waiting for the production queue to have a gap to allow for that.

My understanding is some of the sets ahead of us in the queue have started shipping to vendors so hopefully we can provide more definitive details soon.

Offline Beesley

• B-Imaginative
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 29 August 2023, 09:35:09 »
Deskmat samples are received and signed off!

Offline cthalupa

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 30 November 2023, 11:11:21 »
We're getting closer. We've been informed that we should soon have production samples - this is where we'll give our final sign off on the dyesub colors, legend/novelty alignment, etc. Once this is done we'll be moving into full production.

There's also been some news around OtaKeebs, Ben leaving them, DMK Jade, etc. We've confirmed that this will not have an impact on Hundred Acres and getting the sets into everyone's hands.

Offline Gxos

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 17 January 2024, 02:32:41 »
Hi, any updates on the set?

Offline TuanEe87

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 24 January 2024, 23:05:57 »
Looks like Otakeebs is no more in operations and the KBM Hundred Acres progress looks uncertain

Offline for1nner

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 24 January 2024, 23:24:32 »
The irony of "To keep full transparency" in one sentence, and then paragraphs later,

> but I want to reiterate our regret that we cannot fulfill these in the manner originally promised during the initial group buy periods.

What the **** does that even mean? Can we get a little transparency here?

Offline HubertThemad

• * St. Jude Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 24 January 2024, 23:32:20 »
Yeah, apparently, Otakeebs is winding down operations, so I don't know what will happen with the past and current GBs that are running through them. I know some goats like Hoff, Cannonkeys, Jae, and Novelkeys as well as others have stepped up and taken care of GBs from other vendors that have had similar situations, so maybe something similar may happen to the sets and projects that Otakeebs was running.

Offline cthalupa

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 24 January 2024, 23:50:58 »
KBM/OtaKeebs reached out to us at basically the same time as the public announcement after having been radio silent after assuring us samples were on the way, so we're unfortunately in a situation on the designer end where we have basically the same information as the rest of the public at this point.

The time zone difference means Beesley was asleep when this all broke, so he and I haven't yet had a chance to talk between ourselves or KBM/OtaKeebs as to where things really stand and what our options are. I will say that Beesley and I are open to whatever options we have to make the set a reality and are going to do what is within our power to make that happen. As soon as we have anything we can share we'll be updating here/the Bees Keys discord/etc.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 25 January 2024, 00:25:42 »
it happened AGAIN

Offline vhaarr

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 25 January 2024, 01:06:04 »
I will say that Beesley and I are open to whatever options we have to make the set a reality and are going to do what is within our power to make that happen. As soon as we have anything we can share we'll be updating here/the Bees Keys discord/etc.

Excellent, you have my trust.

I hope all your great work on color matching wasn't wasted, and that if it comes to it you'll expend the same effort again. I have no doubt that you will - I'm just saying please take your time to get it right again, even though it will be painful for everyone.

EDIT: And for the love of Beeslejeesus, don't neglect my nordeuk set LOL :-D I know it's tough finding a partner that can make it.

Please provide timely updates here as well, like you said.
Let the Holy Handgrenades rain.
Hammering on an old Happy Hacking Pro 2. Still going strong!

Offline jdenyc

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 25 January 2024, 05:20:05 »
KBM/OtaKeebs reached out to us at basically the same time as the public announcement after having been radio silent after assuring us samples were on the way, so we're unfortunately in a situation on the designer end where we have basically the same information as the rest of the public at this point.

The time zone difference means Beesley was asleep when this all broke, so he and I haven't yet had a chance to talk between ourselves or KBM/OtaKeebs as to where things really stand and what our options are. I will say that Beesley and I are open to whatever options we have to make the set a reality and are going to do what is within our power to make that happen. As soon as we have anything we can share we'll be updating here/the Bees Keys discord/etc.

If updating the discord servers means deleting everything on the kbm server - this does not bode well .. could we at least get the last announcement message on the kbmhive server posted here so we know where this project sits and if it's time to start filing chargebacks?  (I can't seem to see this message anymore .. and leaving and rejoining gives me nothing.)

Offline Beesley

• B-Imaginative
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 25 January 2024, 05:23:19 »
The server post can be seen on reddit here: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/19f1oaj/otakeebs_the_vendor_is_shutting_down_with/?sort=confidence

For future updates regarding Hundred Acres i advise joining our server:  https://discord.gg/yqSMeg5rKK

We will also update here with what we can we have more information and a plan moving forward.

Offline cthalupa

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 25 January 2024, 17:58:53 »
I will say that Beesley and I are open to whatever options we have to make the set a reality and are going to do what is within our power to make that happen. As soon as we have anything we can share we'll be updating here/the Bees Keys discord/etc.

Excellent, you have my trust.

I hope all your great work on color matching wasn't wasted, and that if it comes to it you'll expend the same effort again. I have no doubt that you will - I'm just saying please take your time to get it right again, even though it will be painful for everyone.

EDIT: And for the love of Beeslejeesus, don't neglect my nordeuk set LOL :-D I know it's tough finding a partner that can make it.

Please provide timely updates here as well, like you said.

We're certainly committed to making sure that the product is quality - I'm going to go hard on color matching no matter who we end up with as the manufacturer!

Speaking of, we've had a huge amount of outreach from vendors, manufacturers, etc. It's going to take us a little bit to talk with them all and see what options are available - our goal is to do whatever is in the best interest of the customers who purchased Hundred Acres, so we're going to be carefully looking at our options with that in mind.

Offline Ranker2

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 26 January 2024, 02:00:21 »
Will Otakeebs/KBM be transferring those funds they collected to the new manufacturer?

Offline Beesley

• B-Imaginative
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 26 January 2024, 11:37:32 »
To our knowledge there are little to no funds.

We are in discussions with other manufacturers to try and reach a solution.
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 January 2024, 12:06:58 by Beesley »

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 26 January 2024, 16:45:24 »

A question is whether that guy's lawyer is going to get some kind of court order to make them freeze operations so they can't fulfill orders, which the lawyer will argue is value going out the door. 

Offline Beesley

• B-Imaginative
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 29 January 2024, 02:30:07 »
We have put together an FAQ for those who have questions about what is happening with Hundred Acres with the news of Otakeebs/KBM

FAQ:

Q: Has Hundred Acres been manufactured?
A: No, the invoices for Hundred Acres manufacturing were not fully paid, and dye-sub production never began.

Q: Will there still be deskmats?
A: We are working on getting Deskmats, Basekit, NorDe Kit, Novelties & Metal Artisans completed.

Q: Will there be extras?
A: Potentially, we have discussed fully handing over the design to whoever we decide to work with, so that they may recover any funds they lose helping us.

Q: Who will you be working with for completing the set?
A: We can't disclose that information yet, as even we are uncertain, a few companies have reached out to us and we are discussing options to get the best results for you.

Q: When will we have an update on whether or not i will get my set?
A: Right now, we don't know, we are asking for companies to front a large sum of money and that's not easy to be done at the drop of the hat, as soon as we know, you'll know.

Q: Should I chargeback?
A: You need to do what's best for you, we do not know what the deal may look like for completing this set. We won't blame you for issuing a chargeback, it's a hard position to be in.

Q: What is your involvement with the switches, keyboard and mouse?
A:  The switches are nothing to do with us, they matches thematically and Otakeebs wanted to sell them along side. The keyboard was a collaboration color way but not designed by us. The mouse is also out of our control, the invoice once again was not paid.

Q: What about other sets that KBM/Otakeebs ran?
A: We don't know, they have nothing to do with us, I know a lot of people joined here after they closed there server down looking for answers for Fairy and Golden Locket, we just don't have them you would need to contact their designers for more information.

Q: Have Otakeebs/KBM supplied any fund for aiding in the completion of this project?
A: The short answer is no, there are no funds from them to help towards Hundred Acres.

Offline Beesley

• B-Imaginative
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 09 February 2024, 11:10:19 »
UPDATE

Hey everyone,

FAQ:

Offline keepoto

Re: [GB] KBM Hundred Acres | UPDATE
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 09 February 2024, 11:31:29 »
chad mr. drop

Offline HubertThemad

• * St. Jude Supporter
Re: [GB] DCD Hundred Acres | UPDATE
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 09 February 2024, 12:01:32 »
Regardless of what people may think about Drop, respect for helping out with this project instead of just letting it die when the whole Otakeebs situation occurred.

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 10 February 2024, 18:18:00 »
  "...and there was much rejoicing..."   :cool:

Offline cthalupa

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 05 March 2024, 12:51:33 »
Just wanted to update and say everything is still on track here - we have communication between all the necessary parties for the handover to go smoothly, things like metal artisans and deskmats are being sorted, etc. We've had some very preliminary sample work done for DCD and things are looking good!

Steps for customers to take to receive their set are still being planned out, we'll have more details there as things progress.

Offline vhaarr

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 06 March 2024, 01:52:30 »
We've had some very preliminary sample work done for DCD and things are looking good!

Excellent, that's quite quick turnaround!
Let the Holy Handgrenades rain.
Hammering on an old Happy Hacking Pro 2. Still going strong!

Offline cthalupa

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 09 April 2024, 21:18:27 »

Initial novelty samples from Drop. We've approved the cream color and the watercolor effect on the novelties. Please note these are shot from quite close with a macro lens with a very bright color matching light, so some of the texture is catching the light with the caps and making it somewhat appear like there are small spots lacking dyesub ink where there should be - this is not the case.

We're still not ready to send out emails to customers to prepare for ordering from Drop, but we'll update here and in the BeesKeys discord as soon as we are.