Author Topic: Does the model of keyboard affect the way that you write?  (Read 1615 times)

Offline HungerMechanic

Does the model of keyboard affect the way that you write?
« on: Sun, 19 May 2019, 13:40:33 »
Obviously there is a great variety in switches and keyboard designs, not to mention the keycaps themselves. These are all factors in customization, and they appear to be meaningful, since we spend so much time and money on it all.

But are comfort, speed, and sound the only major things affected by keyboard design?

I guess what I'm asking is, do you write differently based upon the keyboard that you are using? Does it affect how you write?

I'm currently typing this on a desktop scissor-switch keyboard. It's pretty plain and unassuming, and laid back, and my own thought process as I type could be affected. Who knows?

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
Re: Does the model of keyboard affect the way that you write?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 19 May 2019, 18:50:11 »
I do not type differently based on the keyboard i'm using, however i'm bound to make more mistakes if i go too fast.
Ironically, i got started into typing because my handwriting is awful. There was a time where i couldn't even read it .

You would not be able to deter a 5 year old's handwriting from mine.
Here it is btw:
https://ibb.co/Xbpy0kp

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 07:37:57 »
Yeah, my handwriting was terrible too. Both print and cursive. (I was part of the last generation to be taught cursive). That's why I started typing at a young age.

Interestingly, my print writing improved as a result of typing, since I became much more familiar with standardized print characters.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 17:49:07 »
Absolutely..

Just 2 days ago,  Tp4's spacebar was malfunctioning, intermittent..

You could tell that day, Tp4's prose came out very cranky..

The space bar has been fixed, and Tp4 am back to normal operations.

Now, that's the impact of malfunction. Overall, while there probably is a major difference in writing on switching to a new keyboard, (getting used to new key-timings), don't think over time that difference would persist. Although if such a person switches YET AGAIN to something else, it may.

It'd be similar to when people enter new relationships, they attempt to do things differently, but overtime, invariably, the settle into old habits.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 21 May 2019, 06:02:29 »

Just 2 days ago,  Tp4's spacebar was malfunctioning, intermittent..

You could tell that day, Tp4's prose came out very cranky..

The space bar has been fixed, and Tp4 am back to normal operations.

-tp4tissue

I have some HP KU 0316 that i use for school, and some of the spacebars have to be pressed multiple times in order to work.

Offline xeronu

• https://0w.nz
    • xero.nu
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 21 May 2019, 14:03:16 »
form and function are both intertwined.

for me form is a big part of it. i use split keyboards, and being able to put my hands/wrists/arms/shoulders into more comfortable positions helps me feel better and type better/faster.

switches and keycaps are another big one. beyond the aesthetics of "this looks/sounds nice", the feelings you get from typing effect it quite a bit. when i first switched from membrane to mx browns i couldn't believe the difference. i really liked the bit of actuation tactility while still being easy to type on. eventually i tried out some kailh copper/thick gold switches and realized i was really bottoming out quite a lot. the switches actually taught me to type lighter which reduced strain and improved my over all speed. i've been thinking about upping the tactility and trying out some zealios or hako/halo true's and see how that goes.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 20:05:22 »
Interesting. I am also using Kailh Speed Copper on some modifiers, and the number row, and I find I have been bottoming out less, or at least typing faster. I combine with Speed Coppers with Pro Purples, and it works surprisingly well.

I'm going to try Zealios as soon as possible. I already tried Halo Trues, but they were unnecessarily heavy.