Author Topic: [Help] KC60/GH60 some keys not working all of a sudden.  (Read 2521 times)

Offline dhoepp

[Help] KC60/GH60 some keys not working all of a sudden.
« on: Wed, 22 May 2019, 17:19:54 »
Not sure if I formatted the subject correctly, or if this is the right topic department.

I have had this KC60 I got on Massdrop several years ago, and just this week, the 6YHB keys stopped working. The LEDs are still lit, but I can't make the keys work at all.

I started having some issues with other keys recently, but I fixed that by reflashing. (which seems harder and harder as time goes on) Reflashing did not help this time however.

I'm going to make another post about a Unicomp keyboard.

IBM Model M (1989)         Unicomp Spacesaver M        WASD Code Green        KC60

Offline dhoepp

Re: [Help] KC60/GH60 some keys not working all of a sudden.
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 09:24:17 »
Is this something that anyone has seen before? Is there a board component I need to replace?

IBM Model M (1989)         Unicomp Spacesaver M        WASD Code Green        KC60

Offline Mechboards

• * Vendor
  • Mechboards UK
    • Mechboards
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 09:39:04 »
Take it out of the case - it may be shorting. If it works outside the case, insulate the middle standoff with some tape.

Offline dhoepp

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 21 November 2019, 09:34:52 »
that doesnt appear to be working

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 21 November 2019, 12:21:58 »
Probably a break in the switch matrix then, a jumper wire should fix it.  I'll have a look and probably say where it needs to go when I get home if someone hasn't already.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 22 November 2019, 04:24:53 »
Sorry, forgot about this last night but if you can wait six months I guess another day won't kill you :))

So these are all in a column as expected (they're all connected and one break in the matrix can stop them all working) but there is no key in the bottom row in the same column so no easy fix.  On looking at the EasyAVR firmware it lists three sets of column pins for the KC60 with no explanation, I'll assume the ones that aren't commented out are correct.  There may be different versions of the PCB so it's hard to be sure of anything so it will take a bit of experimenting but I'm sure we can get them working again.

Please can you post a picture of the back of the board, if you can catch the trace lines in the shine from a light that would be great.  Hopefully it's not white as they are terrible to get a decent picture of.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod