Author Topic: Unicomp Spacesaver M having some issues.  (Read 1367 times)

Offline dhoepp

Unicomp Spacesaver M having some issues.
« on: Wed, 22 May 2019, 17:24:33 »
Sometimes I can use this keyboard for days at a time. Then suddenly, the spacebar will stop working, but so will several other keys. Seems to be a few in the top row. I will quote an ongoing ticket with Pckeyboard:

I_want_to_open_this_back_up._The_issue_doesnt_appear_to_be_my_space_bar._It_is_nowhere_near_consistent,_and_I_can_hear_the_space_bar_actuating._However,_sometimes,_when_the_space_bar_goes_out,_so_do_several_other_keys._Here_is_the_top_row.
1234690-=
That_includes_the_tilde_key.

They suggest I pay $35 to have it repaired, which I'm not unwilling to do. I just thought I would see if someone had experience with these and knew what the issue was.

IBM Model M (1989)         Unicomp Spacesaver M        WASD Code Green        KC60

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Re: Unicomp Spacesaver M having some issues.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 May 2019, 17:50:26 »
how new is this Unicomp?

a bolt mod might fix the issue if you take it apart and discover broken rivets, but due to the intermittent factor it sounds more like a controller issue
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Altis

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 May 2019, 18:18:15 »
Can't say anything to your issue, but I will say that it's kind of sad that a group of people so dedicated to the Model M that they formed their own company and bought up the manufacturing equipment seem to have let it fall apart. I remember when they were talking about releasing a 60% model, etc, but now it's like they've become uninspired or lost interest.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline ro0llo

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 23 May 2019, 05:41:13 »
Have you tried re-seating the controller? This is very easy to do yourself and doesnt requiere you to do a bold mod afterwards. Maybe humidity has something to do with it as you say some days it does work correctly and sometimes now?

Offline dhoepp

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 23 May 2019, 09:23:59 »
I've never been able to get it apart. I think it requires a special tool. 5.5mm? Also slim wall socket.

IBM Model M (1989)         Unicomp Spacesaver M        WASD Code Green        KC60

Offline equalunique

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 23 May 2019, 12:40:11 »
The same thing happened with a  Unicomp EnduraPro I sold to some one on r/mechmarket. It was fine before I put it into the mail. When it arrived, several keys were not working, including the spacebar. I suspect the membrane in these keyboards is sensitive to contaminants, which in my case, I suppose could have gotten in after the delivery service knocked around the box a bit.