Author Topic: Elitekeyboards Replacement for the Filco Tenkeyless - The Leopold FC200R  (Read 179530 times)

Offline TexasFlood

Elitekeyboards Replacement for the Filco Tenkeyless - The Leopold FC200R
« Reply #350 on: Wed, 06 July 2011, 22:28:37 »
Spam-bumps.

New user posted 10 posts in as many minutes, all spam, splatting all over the forums like a dysenteric bird flying overhead.

Offline Waterdr1nker

« Reply #351 on: Wed, 06 July 2011, 22:37:58 »
Well, we might as well get back on topic (lol ya rite) since it's already been dug up.

Has anyone gotten their Leopolds from the June/July batch yet?
[Use] Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Blue . Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless Blue . KBT Race 75% Red
[Sold] Filco Majestouch NINJA Tenkeyless Brown . Leopold FC200R Tenkeyless Blue

Offline Astounding

« Reply #352 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 01:18:11 »
Quote from: Waterdr1nker;375074
Well, we might as well get back on topic (lol ya rite) since it's already been dug up.

Has anyone gotten their Leopolds from the June/July batch yet?

Aren't they out till the 18th?

Offline csm725

• I BLEED RED AND GOLD
    • http://csm725.com
« Reply #353 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 01:20:04 »
*14th

Offline Astounding

« Reply #354 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 01:28:24 »
Quote from: csm725;375206
*14th

Says 18 on the site, is it actually the 14th?  How do these compare to the Filco TKLs?

Offline csm725

• I BLEED RED AND GOLD
    • http://csm725.com
« Reply #355 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 01:42:55 »
Ah it is the 18th. Whoops it used to be the 14th
The Filcos are said to have higher build quality and sharper feel.

Offline Waterdr1nker

« Reply #356 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 05:18:29 »
I thought I had read that someone had theirs shipped before the June 14 date, so I was wondering if anyone got theirs yet.
[Use] Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Blue . Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless Blue . KBT Race 75% Red
[Sold] Filco Majestouch NINJA Tenkeyless Brown . Leopold FC200R Tenkeyless Blue

Offline Protechnics

« Reply #357 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 08:29:53 »
'DETACHABLE CORD GOOD THING OR BAD THING'
i all i just purchased a leopold tenkeyless and ordered blue pbt caps they took almost a month to get here from china but fit the leo great but used my leo for 3 hrs gaming all of a sudden the keyboard stopped working un plugged the detachable cor from keyboard and plugged back in gently and then the connector slid inn behind the housing this sucks because i have 30 days to return if not they will not fix i hope they do also they do not refund their product. i really like my leo it is great but if i can get it replaced is this going to happen again i think personally my opinion that detachable cords are not a good thing yeah if the cord goes bad but if it ruins the whole power connector itself you are **** out of luck like me well ill let u know how good of a company they are by if they will replace my only christmas present just warning u guys the connecters are weak check for yourself leo owners be careful thats all ijm saying do not detach cord alot or at all i been wanting this for a long time and turns out this does happen to anybody i look at problems that happens to people and iam like o well probably that guys fault or a suspect keyboard but no this board was perfect then it broke in 3 hours wtf.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #358 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 08:34:54 »
couple things - If you're going to be posting here I recommend learning proper usage of punctuation.  You might want to learn grammar and use a browser with spell-check (and make the corrections).

Also it's interesting that this time you left out the bit where the keyboard fell off your lap.  Treat your devices properly and they will last.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #359 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 09:08:30 »
Quote from: alaricljs;483752
couple things - If you're going to be posting here I recommend learning proper usage of punctuation.  You might want to learn grammar and use a browser with spell-check (and make the corrections).

Also it's interesting that this time you left out the bit where the keyboard fell off your lap.  Treat your devices properly and they will last.

Lol thanks for addidng that part.  Definitely makes a difference. That said I am also not a fan of detachable cables. Hopefully mine lasts.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #360 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 09:52:38 »
I liked having the detachable cable on my HHKB because I took it with my laptop fairly often.  On my Duckys I didn't find them very useful since they were parked on my desk, and I don't really swap keyboards very often.  I guess if I did I would have appreciated it more.

Offline Surly73

« Reply #361 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 14:34:06 »
The main benefit I see of the detachable cable is the ability to order specific lengths for your environment, rather than using a fancy-pants Filco velcro strip to tie up the wad of extra cable.  If I had boards with connectors I'd get a 1' cable for home and a 10' for the office and I'd be smiling.  Well, until the connector breaks apparently.  The whole plan depends on Leopold having a quality connector arrangement in the keyboard.  It shouldn't be any more fragile than any of the other connectors in consumer computing.  I don't see many people complaining that their iPod should have permanent cables attached because the connectors break so often....

Offline RiGS

« Reply #362 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 14:37:18 »
Adjusting the cable length is not a big deal, though it would void your warranty.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #363 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 14:41:43 »
Quote from: Surly73;483982
The main benefit I see of the detachable cable is the ability to order specific lengths for your environment, rather than using a fancy-pants Filco velcro strip to tie up the wad of extra cable.  If I had boards with connectors I'd get a 1' cable for home and a 10' for the office and I'd be smiling.  Well, until the connector breaks apparently.  The whole plan depends on Leopold having a quality connector arrangement in the keyboard.  It shouldn't be any more fragile than any of the other connectors in consumer computing.  I don't see many people complaining that their iPod should have permanent cables attached because the connectors break so often....

Not a very good comparison. For me my keyboard is not a portable device. For some it may be. Ipod always is.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Offline sordna

« Reply #364 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 14:44:53 »
Well, the point is: if MP3 players and phones (I have a phone with mini-usb connector that's seen heavy use and abuse for years) can have sturdy connectors, how hard is it for a keyboard to have one be as sturdy? It's not much to ask!
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Hazborgufen

« Reply #365 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 15:26:46 »
Quote from: sordna;483989
Well, the point is: if MP3 players and phones (I have a phone with mini-usb connector that's seen heavy use and abuse for years) can have sturdy connectors, how hard is it for a keyboard to have one be as sturdy? It's not much to ask!

Hear, hear! I thought that detachable cables were a nice feature until my Rosewill's port broke five days into ownership. Rosewill has a decent reputation too so it was a surprise. For the time being I think I will be sticking with permanent cables. My WASD should be here Monday!

Ripster linked some photos of bad implementation of USB ports which, from my untrained eye, look like the port isn't well anchored.

http://geekhack.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=36320&d=1325315110

But my Rosewill looked like the good implementation example.

http://geekhack.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=36319&d=1316188106

So clearly you can't rely on this. In the event that I get another keyboard with detachable cables, what is a good way to make sure the port won't fall into the housing? Push hard on the port and see if it moves?

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #366 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 15:30:36 »
The issue you're going to run into with the removable cable keyboards is that the KB case was not designed explicitly for the connector.  All those portable devices were engineered around detachable cables.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Surly73

« Reply #367 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 17:13:29 »
Quote from: lightsout714;483987
Not a very good comparison. For me my keyboard is not a portable device. For some it may be. Ipod always is.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

My point is that if a portable device which is routinely connected and disconnected thousands of times in its lifetime can be made with reliable connectors, why can't a full size keyboard which (for 99.99% of people isn't a portable device) not suffer problems?

My point is that *IF* Leopold uses a quality connector system it is a benefit even for people who don't drag keyboards around with them as portable devices.  I virtually never move my 'boards but I would take full advantage of a connectored USB hookup.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #368 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 17:16:52 »
Quote from: sordna;483989

Well sure I agree with that.  And I am not defending leopold.  But every smart phone I have had with a similar connector. Always loosens up over time. Of course that gets plugged in much more but I would personally prefer the thing to not come out.

Offline Hazborgufen

« Reply #369 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 17:40:16 »
Quote from: alaricljs;484015
The issue you're going to run into with the removable cable keyboards is that the KB case was not designed explicitly for the connector.  All those portable devices were engineered around detachable cables.

Which is why it seems like a permanent cable is the way to go.

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #370 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 18:23:41 »
And maybe that's why Filco hasn't come out with detachable cable yet?
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #371 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 18:33:54 »
Quote from: reaper;484133
And maybe that's why Filco hasn't come out with detachable cable yet?

Cause Filco knows best?

Offline sordna

« Reply #372 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 18:47:20 »
Meh. They could easily design the case/connector to be sturdy.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #373 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 19:35:13 »
leopold are designed well the case takes the tugs on the cable and the plug is recessed the only problem is that only certain cables fit because you need a extra small plug for it ton fit. on keyboards like the Poker, HHKB, and Rosewill I use right or left angle cable to reduce the leverage on the port.