Author Topic: Lubing "Clicky" switches  (Read 7442 times)

Offline PuffBus

Lubing "Clicky" switches
« on: Sun, 14 June 2020, 17:40:23 »
I bought a 90 count bag of Gateron Blue switches for my 60% build and lubed a few for comparison and wasn't happy with the results. I only used Super Lube dialectic grease being that this is my first build but seemed to have lost most of the "click". Any tips for lubing "clicky" switches or is that just a no-no in that avenue?

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
Re: Lubing "Clicky" switches
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 14 June 2020, 18:12:15 »
Lubing click jacket style MX switches is a no go as you've found out. The lube interferes with how the click jacket is supposed to snap down quickly after passing the tactile bump on the leaf to create the audible click. So no matter the type of lube used it'll end up with the same results, the switches losing their click for the most part & inconsistently clicking occasionally. 

Offline PuffBus

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 14 June 2020, 18:18:01 »
Thanks, I'm pretty new to the hobby and just was trying out what different things. Appreciate the insight. :thumb:

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 14 June 2020, 18:59:05 »
I lube the spring as this improves the sound. If I do lube the click jacket, I only do so by lightly touching the two prongs that rub against the slider and the side bits that slide up and down the housing with residual lube that is on the tips of my fingers. I'm careful not to apply enough to interfere with the click. This is in attempt to get a little more smoothness out of the switch, however, the benefits are negligible.

Offline PuffBus

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 14 June 2020, 19:04:58 »
I lube the spring as this improves the sound. If I do lube the click jacket, I only do so by lightly touching the two prongs that rub against the slider and the side bits that slide up and down the housing with residual lube that is on the tips of my fingers. I'm careful not to apply enough to interfere with the click. This is in attempt to get a little more smoothness out of the switch, however, the benefits are negligible.
I have a bunch of left over switches I was going to experiment with. Maybe I'll try only lubing the spring. Appreciate the help  ;D

Offline envyy24

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 17:57:04 »
I would recommend you to do more research before lubing. Obviously experimenting by yourself is a good way to learn as well, but couple that with some research into the topic would help you obtain the overall picture of it quicker.
Lubing is not a magic component that you add to whatever switches and they magically becomes better. The idea is to make the contact between parts smoother and not scratchy. So when you want the stem to move in between the housing rails smoother, you lube. You want the spring to not ping you lube. You have a tactile switch then you dont lube the legs because if they go through the copper contact leaf too smoothly then there is no bump and no tactility. Just some examples of knowing what it is for and when to apply it.

Offline hpetrovski

• Osum
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 19:23:20 »
I'd also recommend you to only lube springs on clickies. You're probably better off staying away from lubing the click jacket on Blues.