Author Topic: [IC] VN66 | Manufactured by EVE + Carpagon | Artkey  (Read 20181 times)

Offline OnceS

[IC] VN66 | Manufactured by EVE + Carpagon | Artkey
« on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 13:35:54 »
Hello everyone, I’m Nguyen Hieu Truong, the admin of VNMK - the largest mechanical keyboard community in VN with more than 30k active members. Today I would like to introduce you to Project VN66, a custom keyboard that strive to represent our small community.

UPDATE IC FORM: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1xxZ_eujOnJVODijy-GaFk-BKF4S1FWOCfSq4cd5zH4Q/

DESIGN: This keyboard is heavily inspired by Apple M0110 keyboard as it was manufactured during the late 80s which coincide with when most of our community members were born. We strived to create a modern rendition of a classic design, with liberal use of angle and curve to create a clean and sleek look for a keyboard with large bezel. Furthermore, we applied Fibonacci sequence to the aspect ratio, resulting in a design that will age very well.

RENDER
More

KEYBOARD INFORMATION:

LAYOUT: Modified 660m layout for greater keyset compatibility. You can think of it as an Excluisive E7-V1 without the F-row , 7 angle.

• MANUFACTURE: EVE
  • COLOR: Black, Grey, E-White, Red, Dark Blue (Choose 3 colors)
  • PLATE: Top Mount, 1.5mm, aluminum, brass or Polycarbonate
  • PCB: RBG Underglow with QMK, USB module (you can use Type C, Micro, Mini) and option to choose between Rotary Encoder or 2 x 1u

• WEIGHT:  3.8kg out of the box, 4.5kg assembled. Brass weights on the inside and outside of the bottom case
  • FEET:  Use M60-A Feet by Ramaworks
  • No.: 01 to 017
  • The VNMK logo on the right side will have 2 options:  Made as a badge; cnc on the board

ESTIMATE PRICE: 400$ .
AVAILABILITY: Only 17 units :
+ 12 sold as a raffle exclusive to the Vietnamese Mechanical Keyboard Community (VNMK)
+ 5 sold as a raffle on Geekhack
Raffle and group buys will open at the end of July

WRIST REST:
More
Special Wrist Rest by Romeo will be available for purchase as well.

CARPAGON - ARTISAN COLLABORATION:

More
Artkey is designing a one-off design exclusively for those who join the group buy. It will be based on the story of "Carp
turning into Dragon".

Here are the final products, representing the process of the carp on top transforming into a dragon. On top of its head is
a water hyacinth leaf, one of the symbols of the Vietnamese waters. The name Carpagon is a combination of "carp" which
means carp, and "agon" for "dragon".

DETAILS:
- Only 7 units will be available;
- Colors: The are currently 3 colors, but only one most appropriate color will be selected.

Please let me know your feedbacks, I’m especially looking for ideas regarding weight design and the Plus area. Cheers!

July 12th Update: Based on the suggestions, the Geekhack group buy for the 5 boards is changed to Raffle instead of FCFS. Best of luck for those that are going to join the raffle :)

July 22th Update: The raffles for the VN66 is expected to open within this week with the following changes:
1. The side curves will be slightly adjusted for the board to be more symmetric
2. The cutouts for the feet will be modified.
The raffle on Geekhack will start right after the raffle for VNMK finishes.

July 22nd Mini-update: The Geekhack raffle will launch on Saturday, July 27th, 2:00 P.M GMT. Please check the time and be ready.

July 27th Update: The raffle starting time will be delayed for some info confirmation with the moderators. Sorry for this incovenience. I will update the time asap so that you guys won't be missing out.
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 July 2019, 07:26:55 by OnceS »
E6 | Kira60 | R60 | HHKB Carbon
-------------------------------------
IG: https://www.instagram.com/onces1314/

Offline PheonixStarr

Re: [IC] VN66 | Manufactured by EVE + Carpagon | Artkey
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 14:39:12 »
༼ つ ◕\_◕ ༽つ MY PEOPLE HAVE RISEN ༼ つ ◕\_◕ ༽つ

Offline eyedrop

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 15:13:58 »
Good looking board.  Having people fight for 5 units on GH will make getting a Jane a walk in the park.   :p

Offline fer.real

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 15:23:51 »
Beautiful!  Why so few?

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 16:01:33 »
I'm very unlikely to join this but I'd say it  would be more fair to make the 5 spots for GH raffle as well. FCFS will only makes everybody that wants to join sit behind their pc like a mad man or get bots or whatever just to have a chance. With a raffle you could keep it open for a day/couple of hours without everybody stressing out.

Offline escher

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 16:10:05 »
Ah quite literally manufactured scarcity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 16:59:31 »
Too bad there aren't more available.  I think this might be the best executed tribute to the M0110 I've seen.  Really cool board

Offline Tree_

« Last Edit: Thu, 11 July 2019, 18:05:47 by Tree_ »

Offline dk4one

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 19:20:39 »
The design has nothing to intrigue me. Will pass. Good luck anyways.

Offline OnceS

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 19:32:28 »
Good looking board.  Having people fight for 5 units on GH will make getting a Jane a walk in the park.   :p
Thank you. I hope everyone will like it.
The design has nothing to intrigue me. Will pass. Good luck anyways.

Thank you

Too bad there aren't more available.  I think this might be the best executed tribute to the M0110 I've seen.  Really cool board

Thank you. I  hope you will join this FCFS.

I'm very unlikely to join this but I'd say it  would be more fair to make the 5 spots for GH raffle as well. FCFS will only makes everybody that wants to join sit behind their pc like a mad man or get bots or whatever just to have a chance. With a raffle you could keep it open for a day/couple of hours without everybody stressing out.
Thank you. But this GB just have 5 unit, i think FCFS will play fair

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 19:35:08 »
Just 5 for sale? May the best bot win.

Offline OnceS

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 19:38:41 »
Beautiful!  Why so few?

Because profit is not what I'm aiming at with this project. I just want to make a celebration keyboard for the 6th Birthday of VNMK.
Thank you and hope you will join this FCFS.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 July 2019, 22:36:38 by OnceS »

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 20:02:04 »
I mean of all the reasons to keep it at such a low amount of available units, "not needing money" is quite possibly the worst one you could've picked to illustrate your point. Kinda makes it sound like everyone that's running larger buys is only doing it as means of income and not just because they love their design(s) do or whatever other selfless/caring reason people may have to run a group buy.

Offline Nevermore012

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 20:19:17 »
is this GB opening same time with VNMK or different, cuz i am one of member in that group. just in case i am not lucky, i could have another chance to pick up one at this GB.  this keyboard looks so delicious :p

Offline regionfree

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 21:16:14 »
Since this is going to be manufactured by EVE, will they have some kind of mark or text or engraving somewhere in the board? EVE has that habit of leaving their mark on the board they manufacture that really ruins the designs.

Offline yap68

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 22:46:21 »
I mean of all the reasons to keep it at such a low amount of available units, "not needing money" is quite possibly the worst one you could've picked to illustrate your point. Kinda makes it sound like everyone that's running larger buys is only doing it as means of income and not just because they love their design(s) do or whatever other selfless/caring reason people may have to run a group buy.

+1, funny reason. And I think Raffle plays fairer than FCFS.

Offline OnceS

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 22:48:48 »
Update: IC link has been updated.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 July 2019, 22:50:21 by OnceS »

Offline flying1911

• Mechlovin' Studio
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 23:19:39 »
I was lucky enough to get my hands on the prototypes of the board (e-white and dark blue). Overall, it boasts a great balance between design and heft, with quality finish you can expect from EVE. I didn't notice any other engravings other than ones representing the board (the VNMK engraving/badge up top and serial number down at the bottom).

To clear the air a bit, I think the main reason for Truong (VNMK Admin) to keep the number of boards available low is to play it safe and make it right. This is his first time running a custom board GB, and he has been very cautious and thorough every step of the way, and he only decided to post an IC on GH after having received and inspected the prototypes. The part where he will not be making any profit is true, and though the wording may throw some of you off, I truly believe there's all good intent behind this project.

I do, though, think that raffle sale is a better fit for such low number of available units. If GH users' demand for this board is greater than what's currently available, it will be shown in the IC data, and hopefully play a part in the runner's final decision.
Jane V2 | Jane CE | Jane V2 CE | Police | Kaze | KMAC 2 | BRG Haus | Sessantacinque | Ori CLS-2 FE | Dalco 959 Mini | Mechlovin' Unikorn | G81-3100 SAV | Model M SSK

Offline OnceS

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 11 July 2019, 23:43:22 »

Apologies for not being on point at the start. My English is limited which has caused you confusion. This board is made mainly as an anniversary for the Vietnamese keyboard community that I'm a part of, and the 5 boards that will be sold internationally are like symbols representing our community. Like you said, those that run group buys here do it because they want to share their beautiful designs to everyone, whether it is mass production, or in a limited amount, and we are not an exception.
Again, sorry for the statement that led you to this misunderstanding.

Offline r4bbl3d4bbl3

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 12 July 2019, 00:56:53 »
Daaaaaang, I was really excited for this when you posted it on reddit, now I am bummed because I don't think there's any chance I will get to buy this with it being so limited. The artisans are awesome too!

Offline equalunique

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 12 July 2019, 01:04:09 »
Suddenly I don't feel so bad about missing out on the CA66

EDIT: Wait, nvm, there's only gonna be 5 lol
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 July 2019, 01:06:29 by equalunique »

Offline mrkantz

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 12 July 2019, 09:40:36 »
Beautiful board, I'll definitely try my luck

Offline Abec13

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 12 July 2019, 10:33:41 »

Stress is the fin part. Especially when you have a chat of people all after it. #Volcano660
45-ATS | Adelie | Gentoo | Volcano 660 | Think 6.5 v2 | SKOG | 7V | Hello M0110
[/url]

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 12 July 2019, 17:14:09 »

Stress is the fin part. Especially when you have a chat of people all after it. #Volcano660
Especially when the launch is at a time where half of the world can’t join cause it’s in the middle of the night... (mostly happens with EU in my experience) and you either completely wreck your sleep and work day after or you’re simply not able to join.

Personally I don’t care for this keyboard in particular, it’s not my style. But I do care that as many people have a chance. Not just those with the fastest internet connection that also happen to have time for those 2 seconds at a specific time.

I’d say that excitement and anticipation for a gb launch is the fun part, not the stress ;)

Offline booleanjulien

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 21:13:42 »
Looks like the 5 were switch to raffle.

Offline 0Name

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 14 July 2019, 05:29:50 »
Looks like the 5 were switch to raffle.
Yes they were. It has been confirmed.

Offline TieuNgu

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 14 July 2019, 06:51:20 »
I'm Vietnamese but never knew this community existed... Are you guys on Facebook?

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 14 July 2019, 08:38:02 »
I'm Vietnamese but never knew this community existed... Are you guys on Facebook?
Yes it's a Facebook community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/VietNamMechKey
In fact, there was a meetup today where this prototype was the centerpiece.
Also see below: the Dark Blue version.

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 14 July 2019, 08:44:10 »

Especially when the launch is at a time where half of the world can’t join cause it’s in the middle of the night... (mostly happens with EU in my experience) and you either completely wreck your sleep and work day after or you’re simply not able to join.

Personally I don’t care for this keyboard in particular, it’s not my style. But I do care that as many people have a chance. Not just those with the fastest internet connection that also happen to have time for those 2 seconds at a specific time.

I’d say that excitement and anticipation for a gb launch is the fun part, not the stress ;)

Think of it this way: This could have easily been a Vietnam-only GB, just like all those China and Korea-only ones. Instead, OP decided to leave 5 pieces for the GH community. In fact, there are some Vietnamese folks who are annoyed about not having all 17 pcs to themselves.

I believe this is OP's first GB, so they are understandably being conservative about QC and their own limit. As they are the moderators of the VNMK community, and with that kind of name (VN66), trust me, if this turns out to be a dud, the community backlash will be HUGE.

TL;DR:

« Last Edit: Sun, 14 July 2019, 08:48:00 by nguyenhimself »

Offline child

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 14 July 2019, 12:42:01 »
I am very happy because of GH raffle (which I'm going to join) instead of FCFS (which I would not join, as I'm into this hobby for fun and not furious clicking in the middle of the night).

When it comes to the keyboard itself, I love the separate arrow cluster and overall layout similarity to CA66. Also the large bezels are very nice. If it had split space it would be perfect, but I realize it's way to late to make any adjustments, so I won't even suggest them.

Offline kipawazi

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 14 July 2019, 13:52:37 »
It's just a beautiful keyboard, I'll try my luck too.

Offline Jedi

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 14 July 2019, 21:12:50 »
As mentioned by numerous others, the board is incredibly gorgeous. For me, I immediately thought of Signature Plastics SA 88 Commando Combat Soldier or the black model with Ghost Commander and the VN novelties. Great job on the prototype  :thumb:

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 15 July 2019, 08:24:32 »
Ohhhh nice.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 15 July 2019, 08:28:25 »
I'm in for trying to be 1/5 xD

Offline 0Name

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 15 July 2019, 12:55:58 »
I'm in for trying to be 1/5 xD
Great to know. Best of luck to you :)

Offline 0Name

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 15 July 2019, 12:57:40 »
It's just a beautiful keyboard, I'll try my luck too.

Thanks for the support. Best of luck to you :)

Offline kralix

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 15 July 2019, 22:39:40 »
Has the raffle for purchase for this board been put up yet?

Offline 0Name

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 03:29:00 »
Has the raffle for purchase for this board been put up yet?

The raffle is expected to open at the end of July.

Offline cucgach

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 20 July 2019, 12:01:32 »
Live photos of the blue-ish prototype..
More at: https://imgur.com/a/lwYsiiP

Current: Filco TKL Majestouch | TX60 antique brass | NIU40 silver | H360 burgundy | tr.mk wooden 60 | Imperial Hue 60 | Tofu 65 silver | Tofu WKL navy | Gergo Kit: black PCB | Space65 gray/silver | VN66 Black
Future: none
Past: TinaC HHKB gray | TX84Se titan gray | Leopold 660M white | GSX96 R2 purple | Rama M60-A lake | 0.01 Z70 silver | E7-V1 MAO | Rama M6-A | TMO50 green/poly | HB85 black/gray | TX108se titan gray | Typewriter68 ceramic white | Think6.5 frost poly

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 20 July 2019, 12:40:02 »
That colour :)
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline mudcakehoney

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 03:54:27 »
That colour was made for Solarized Dark!

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 04:44:27 »
It would suit the up coming Nautilus Nightmares well.

Systems -
More

Keyboards -
More

Offline OnceS

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 08:05:08 »
Update: More information about the VN66 raffles' schedule has been added.
In addition, here are the results of the poll about the details for the VN66, which includes color, plate material, logo design and weight:
222905-0
222907-1

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 08:34:40 »
How long is the GH raffle going to stay open?

Offline OnceS

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 10:01:52 »
How long is the GH raffle going to stay open?
The Raffle will stay open for 6 hours.

Offline r4bbl3d4bbl3

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 10:11:29 »
Will you update with a more specific time than sometime this week? Really looking forward to this!

Offline OnceS

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 11:12:27 »
Will you update with a more specific time than sometime this week? Really looking forward to this!

The time has been decided: 2 p.m GMT on Saturday, July 27th.
Hope you'll be ready, and good luck :)

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 11:34:28 »

The time has been decided: 2 p.m GMT on Saturday, July 27th.
Hope you'll be ready, and good luck :)

Woohoo! I get to take an L on this raffle, then turn around and take an L on the Keycult raffle the same day!  ;D

Offline OnceS

« Reply #48 on: Fri, 26 July 2019, 23:01:36 »
Update: The link to the VN66 Raffle has been added to the top of the post and will open at the time said before.
You can also enter the link right here in this comment:
https://forms.gle/RGzxN12qwL4LQkrdA
Hope you guys will be ready, and again. good luck :)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 27 July 2019, 00:11:26 »
Thanks for the reminder.  I'll try my best to get in an entry.  For the badge, is it only VNKB or is there an option for custom design?