Author Topic: Need help repairing key/spring on Unicomp Spacesaver M Black Buckling Spring USB  (Read 1390 times)

Offline t888

• CONNECT 14400 ... Welcome to Skynet
Hello everyone,

My Unicomp Spacesaver M Black Buckling Spring USB keyboard is in need of some slight repair.  The spring on the left arrow key got lost and now the key is unusable like a flat pancake.

1) Does anyone know where I can get some spare springs?

2) Most importantly... how can I re-install the spring?  I tried before (when I had the spring) and it was very difficult.  I'm sure there is a trick to it, or perhaps I need a tool of some sort?

Thanks in advanced!!   :D
Unicomp ♡ HHKB Pro 2 ♡ Realforce 87u 55g

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Search for the "Chopstick of Death" technique of replacing springs. Then scavenge one from a key you never use.

Send me a personal message and I will send one to you for postage.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline t888

Thanks fohat.digs

I'll give it a go.  Fingers crossed!   :thumb:

Offline harlw

Ergodox (x2), V.EA Clone, Tada68, Atreus XL, Planck, Model M 70% Mod

Offline Janeiac

I don't know what "chopstick of death" is -- couldn't find it in a brief search-- but maybe it's the similar  to what I did when a spring popped out as I pulled a key. I got an ordinary wood/graphite pencil with the sharpened point partly dulled to just the right diameter, and screwed the spring onto the tip, straight onto the point, so I could position it accurately. Look into the place where it goes and you will see a little round plastic nubbin sticking up. Press and screw the spring onto that by twisting the pencil, then hold it in position with two fingers while gently wiggling and easing off the pencil point. Worked for me twice.

Offline t888