Author Topic: [GB] R2 PURPLE ZEALIO SWITCHES (Complete)  (Read 3054636 times)

Offline Ephemeral

Re: [GB] R2 PURPLE ZEALIO SWITCHES (New spring weight & options added)
« Reply #300 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 23:04:59 »
Hey Zeal,
I've decided to add more switches of the same type to my order. Can I add them in a second order and not get charged shipping twice?
(Sorry if this is a dumb question. First time ordering something through your store)
Collection:
More
E6.5 (Lubed 50g MX Blacks) | Preonic (55g MX Clears) | CA66 (Zealios V2 65g) | budget96 (MX Red) | Infinity 60% (Zealios 78g) | Phantom TKL (Gateron Black) | MiniVan (Zealios 78g) | Helix (?)
[Incoming: Polaris (?) |  KBDFans 8X Mk II (v2 Tealios)]

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #301 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 23:47:02 »
Hey Zeal,
I've decided to add more switches of the same type to my order. Can I add them in a second order and not get charged shipping twice?
(Sorry if this is a dumb question. First time ordering something through your store)

PM me your order # / reply to your confirmation email and I'll cancel your current order so you can place a new updated one.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Ephemeral

« Reply #302 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 07:26:51 »
Hey Zeal,

PM me your order # / reply to your confirmation email and I'll cancel your current order so you can place a new updated one.

Thanks for the quick response. PMd.
Collection:
More
E6.5 (Lubed 50g MX Blacks) | Preonic (55g MX Clears) | CA66 (Zealios V2 65g) | budget96 (MX Red) | Infinity 60% (Zealios 78g) | Phantom TKL (Gateron Black) | MiniVan (Zealios 78g) | Helix (?)
[Incoming: Polaris (?) |  KBDFans 8X Mk II (v2 Tealios)]

Offline awhitedev

« Reply #303 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 11:43:20 »
So I've read alot of reviews of the various switches but I'm still not sure which I want to go in on for my next phantom.

I've tried just about every combination of Cherry switch. My favorite is lubed panda clears.. (black spring in clear housing) I love the tactile bump, however, I always felt that they were slightly too heavy. I feel like if I could have a lighter switch while still keeping the tactility of clears that would be perfect. Because I could never find something like this... I moved away from MX switches to Topre and absolutely love 55g. 45g is good but a little too light to be perfect.

I think one of the 62-67g Zealios may be just right for me... but im not sure which.

Any recommendations based on what I posted?
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 February 2016, 11:47:32 by awhitedev »

Offline geniekid

« Reply #304 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 12:29:11 »
So I've read alot of reviews of the various switches but I'm still not sure which I want to go in on for my next phantom.

I've tried just about every combination of Cherry switch. My favorite is lubed panda clears.. (black spring in clear housing) I love the tactile bump, however, I always felt that they were slightly too heavy. I feel like if I could have a lighter switch while still keeping the tactility of clears that would be perfect. Because I could never find something like this... I moved away from MX switches to Topre and absolutely love 55g. 45g is good but a little too light to be perfect.

I think one of the 62-67g Zealios may be just right for me... but im not sure which.

Any recommendations based on what I posted?

I've tried 62g, 65g, and 68g springs with Clear stems for over a week on each weight (for months on the 62 and 65 boards).  My personal opinion is that 65g is the best but if you feel that Panda clears are almost there you might like 67g more.  I also tend to prefer 45g domes on my Topre versus your preference for 55g so you may very well have a preference for more weight than I do.  Also if you're building a Phantom and you have a plate that supports switch top removal you can always mod the Zealios yourself!

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #305 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 14:19:33 »
Further to what geniekid said, Zeal himself has actually made some excellent comparisons between the switches in the past few pages. If you haven't already given them a read, I highly suggest doing so. I suspect 65G is what you are looking for, but you may be swayed to 67G.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline Liam

« Reply #306 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 19:13:44 »
I have some questions. Do I need to lube those switch before use n if I do need what oil you recommended to use with those? Thanks you anyway.
IBM Model M - Leopold 750r - Custom Numpad

Offline awhitedev

« Reply #307 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 19:23:33 »
I have some questions. Do I need to lube those switch before use n if I do need what oil you recommended to use with those? Thanks you anyway.

IMO one of the biggest selling points of these switches is that you don't need to lube them. They should be very smooth out of the box.

Offline Liam

« Reply #308 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 19:42:54 »

IMO one of the biggest selling points of these switches is that you don't need to lube them. They should be very smooth out of the box.
Tks u for that information ;D Really helpful for newbie like me :thumb:

Offline MoarCoffeePlzzz

• Formerly Deeptek
« Reply #309 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 00:38:14 »
Im thinking of building a B87. Do I need PCB mounted or Plate mounted?

Thanks!

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #310 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 05:35:42 »

Thanks!
You can easily mod pcb mounted switches to plate mounted switches easily!. The plate mounted option is for the milky bottom

here is the video :

Good luck on the build bro!

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #311 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 08:01:12 »

Thanks!

My personal opinion on building customs is to always use PCB mounted switches whenever possible, regsrdless if the build uses a plate or not. The B87 PCB supports PCB mounted switches.
Under the event that a PCB doesn't support PCB mounted switches, you can always easily mod them by cutting off the plastic legs.

Offline MoarCoffeePlzzz

• Formerly Deeptek
« Reply #312 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 13:54:30 »

My personal opinion on building customs is to always use PCB mounted switches whenever possible, regsrdless if the build uses a plate or not. The B87 PCB supports PCB mounted switches.
Under the event that a PCB doesn't support PCB mounted switches, you can always easily mod them by cutting off the plastic legs.

Thanks. This is going to be my first custom board. Ive never used your switches or even felt them before but it seems like they are really nice from the feedback people have given on them. What is your thoughts and experiences gaming with the 65g purples?

Thanks!
You can easily mod pcb mounted switches to plate mounted switches easily!. The plate mounted option is for the milky bottom

here is the video :

Good luck on the build bro!

Thanks sir!
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 February 2016, 13:59:52 by RyanEl »

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #313 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 15:54:24 »

Thanks. This is going to be my first custom board. Ive never used your switches or even felt them before but it seems like they are really nice from the feedback people have given on them. What is your thoughts and experiences gaming with the 65g purples?

I personally use 65g myself. When lubed, it really brings out a whole different world of smoothness. I use it for gaming and typing with no issues. :)

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #314 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 15:56:02 »

I personally use 65g myself. When lubed, it really brings out a whole different world of smoothness. I use it for gaming and typing with no issues. :)

Thick lube I assuming?
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #315 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 15:58:24 »

Thick lube I assuming?

Of course! GH V3 thick lube :)

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #316 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 15:59:59 »

Thick lube I assuming?

Any difference with the thick lube from techkeys?
I still have some leftover I think. haha
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #317 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 16:10:29 »

Thick lube I assuming?

Shhhhh he'll short you on switches with talk like that lol

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #318 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 16:11:51 »

Thick lube I assuming?

but I think it should be fine anyways. Just hoping it would be enough for a 60% build.

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #319 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 16:17:44 »

Thick lube I assuming?

but I think it should be fine anyways. Just hoping it would be enough for a 60% build.

It should be the same :p

About 1-1.5ml is enough for a 60%

Offline Liam

« Reply #320 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 10:50:20 »

Thick lube I assuming?

So back to my question above, do I need to lube my switch or not? Thank you.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #321 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 11:09:39 »

Thick lube I assuming?

You don't need to lube your switches by any means, however lubing them will make them smoother. It isn't too drastic but you'll be able to squeeze out another 10-15% of smoothness from the switch.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #322 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 13:12:38 »

Thick lube I assuming?

You don't need to lube your switches by any means, however lubing them will make them smoother. It isn't too drastic but you'll be able to squeeze out another 10-15% of smoothness from the switch.

I don't really get that people talk about 10-15%, the difference is night and day for me :)
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline Liam

« Reply #323 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 13:16:13 »

Thick lube I assuming?

I don't really get that people talk about 10-15%, the difference is night and day for me :)
k I'll lube then ;D

Offline br4n_d0n

« Reply #324 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 19:44:57 »
Is there any way to try out these switches without having to buy the minimum of 20?

Offline Happylomo

« Reply #325 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 22:27:44 »
Hey Zeal, I might move out from my current apartment in several weeks, is it fine if I just put my current address at the moment, and update you with the new address, once u're ready to ship?

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #326 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 22:46:44 »
Is there any way to try out these switches without having to buy the minimum of 20?

Not at this time as the switches do not exist yet. "Tester" packs will be listed once the switches have been fully shipped.

Hey Zeal, I might move out from my current apartment in several weeks, is it fine if I just put my current address at the moment, and update you with the new address, once u're ready to ship?

I expect the switches to come in sometime in the middle of March. So you can base your address off that. Packing & re-shipping should take about 2 weeks. If anything, you can always PM me your new (or old) address.

Offline Happylomo

« Reply #327 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 23:36:51 »
I expect the switches to come in sometime in the middle of March. So you can base your address off that. Packing & re-shipping should take about 2 weeks. If anything, you can always PM me your new (or old) address.

Awesome! thanks Zeal! i'll put my order ASAP.
After I scratched my head in deciding between 65g or 67g version, though.  :thumb:

Offline awhitedev

« Reply #328 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 06:21:12 »

Awesome! thanks Zeal! i'll put my order ASAP.
After I scratched my head in deciding between 65g or 67g version, though.  :thumb:

I scratched my head about that too... In short, the comparisons I kept reading between the two were: 65g has a smooth ergo-clear feeling with a longer drawn out bump in the middle. 67g has a crisper bump, closer to the top of the switch and smooth the rest of the way down. I've not felt the two to compare but I doubt 2g makes the switches that much heavier / lighter. The feeling all comes from the anatomy of the spring that's used most likely.

Offline Happylomo

« Reply #329 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 06:39:54 »
I scratched my head about that too... In short, the comparisons I kept reading between the two were: 65g has a smooth ergo-clear feeling with a longer drawn out bump in the middle. 67g has a crisper bump, closer to the top of the switch and smooth the rest of the way down. I've not felt the two to compare but I doubt 2g makes the switches that much heavier / lighter. The feeling all comes from the anatomy of the spring that's used most likely.

Ohh, thanks alot awhitedev! So at the end, which one did u order?

Basically im trying to find the closest one to topre. If the 67g has a crispier bump closer to the top, and smooth all the way down, then i think it's quite close to topre in terms of tactility? But again, I understand that we can't compare both of them, as they're different breeds. Oh well, maybe i'll just get 67g, and then swap the springs to 62g or 65g if find them to be too heavy  ;D

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #330 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 09:07:39 »
Is there enough stock for after the GB?

Offline awhitedev

« Reply #331 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 10:20:31 »

Basically im trying to find the closest one to topre. If the 67g has a crispier bump closer to the top, and smooth all the way down, then i think it's quite close to topre in terms of tactility? But again, I understand that we can't compare both of them, as they're different breeds. Oh well, maybe i'll just get 67g, and then swap the springs to 62g or 65g if find them to be too heavy  ;D

I bought some of 67g. The crisper bump at the top sounds similar to Topre... but the rest of the switch will be heavier than Topre because all MX switches get heavier as the switch is pushed down and Topre gets lighter after the bump. 67g is by no means heavy though...

Folks who have personal experience with the 67g switches can chime in and correct me... but this seems to be what I've gathered from all my reading.

Offline Phenix

« Reply #332 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 10:35:43 »
anyone in Germany who wants to split shipping costs?? Need some.

By the way when will it end/when will they be shipping?
Winter is coming.

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #333 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 12:54:44 »

I bought some of 67g. The crisper bump at the top sounds similar to Topre... but the rest of the switch will be heavier than Topre because all MX switches get heavier as the switch is pushed down and Topre gets lighter after the bump. 67g is by no means heavy though...

Folks who have personal experience with the 67g switches can chime in and correct me... but this seems to be what I've gathered from all my reading.

I've had boards with all the weights.  First of all I thought 65g was my weight, but I found it a little light, but it was just right on days of heavy use.  I wanted to try heavier substances so I switched to 67g and at first it was awesome.  The feeling of accomplishment pushing it is awesome.  The downside is that the last part of pressing the switch you really feel the heaviness.  And at prolonged sessions and at days when you are not feeling really well these will be tough.  So I'm switching back to 65g.  All this is on my work board.

The opposite was true on my Starcraft board, where I spam keys a lot.  I went first with 65g but it was just too tiring.  I reduced the quantity of playing simply because it was too straining.  So I switched to 62g and it is just right for a gaming board which requires spamming.  But the 62g not as satisfactory in regular normal daily use. 

This is all coming from a guy who has small hands and henceforth probably wimpy hands, and I like lighter switches in general, so YMMV of course.

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #334 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 13:22:47 »
Is there enough stock for after the GB?

Yes, there will be stock remaining after the GB. Price will go up to $1/switch though.

anyone in Germany who wants to split shipping costs?? Need some.

By the way when will it end/when will they be shipping?

GB ends around the end of Feb. Shipping to me around middle of March.

Offline gbrldz

• http://gbrldz.co
« Reply #335 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 22:24:27 »
Which ones feel more like MX Clears?

67g or 78g?

Noob here.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #336 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 22:25:50 »
Which ones feel more like MX Clears?

67g or 78g?

Noob here.

78g would be a softer clear.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline lootbag

« Reply #337 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 01:15:27 »
I've had boards with all the weights.  First of all I thought 65g was my weight, but I found it a little light, but it was just right on days of heavy use.  I wanted to try heavier substances so I switched to 67g and at first it was awesome.  The feeling of accomplishment pushing it is awesome.  The downside is that the last part of pressing the switch you really feel the heaviness.  And at prolonged sessions and at days when you are not feeling really well these will be tough.  So I'm switching back to 65g.  All this is on my work board.

The opposite was true on my Starcraft board, where I spam keys a lot.  I went first with 65g but it was just too tiring.  I reduced the quantity of playing simply because it was too straining.  So I switched to 62g and it is just right for a gaming board which requires spamming.  But the 62g not as satisfactory in regular normal daily use. 

This is all coming from a guy who has small hands and henceforth probably wimpy hands, and I like lighter switches in general, so YMMV of course.

This is how I feel with regards to my 68g vintage blacks.
Feels awesome but after prolonged sessions, the last section of key depress feels overly heavy, I almost always never bottom out on them.

I am still trying to decide whether to go with 65g or 67g.
Pretty sure my hands are not man enough for 78g.
Leaning towards 65g because I am worried the 67g Zealio (tactile) bottom out will be too similar to my 68g vintage blacks.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #338 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 15:49:33 »

Feels awesome but after prolonged sessions, the last section of key depress feels overly heavy, I almost always never bottom out on them.

Leaning towards 65g because I am worried the 67g Zealio (tactile) bottom out will be too similar to my 68g vintage blacks.

Either my fingers are super strong or I am not putting in enough time to qualify as a "prolonged session" because I use Greens at work and Clears at home and never have any fatigue.  I would imagine at home I probably don't use them enough for long periods of time but at work, especially right now during our peak time, I am sometimes putting in over 12 hours with appointments in and out and constant data entry going on and my fingers don't seem to have any problems.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #339 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 15:57:12 »

Either my fingers are super strong or I am not putting in enough time to qualify as a "prolonged session" because I use Greens at work and Clears at home and never have any fatigue.  I would imagine at home I probably don't use them enough for long periods of time but at work, especially right now during our peak time, I am sometimes putting in over 12 hours with appointments in and out and constant data entry going on and my fingers don't seem to have any problems.

Decided to go with 78g springs. I thought they'd be a bit heavy, but the only switch that gives me fatigue is buckling springs, and that's after typing up reports and essays for hours.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #340 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 16:00:21 »

Decided to go with 78g springs. I thought they'd be a bit heavy, but the only switch that gives me fatigue is buckling springs, and that's after typing up reports and essays for hours.

I can't wait for my 78g switches, now to just figure out what they are going on...
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline deduction

• unix layout zealot
« Reply #341 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 16:41:37 »

I can't wait for my 78g switches, now to just figure out what they are going on...

Absolutely, can't wait to get those 78gs.  I plan on lubing the springs in at least one build - I think that should reduce the force just enough to mitigate any potential fatigue issues.

Offline lootbag

« Reply #342 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 17:39:33 »

I think it has to do with me using an HHKB for the past 5 years haha.

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #343 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 04:25:58 »

Absolutely, can't wait to get those 78gs.  I plan on lubing the springs in at least one build - I think that should reduce the force just enough to mitigate any potential fatigue issues.

Lubing springs reduces force needed?

Offline anowt

• "I want you to buckle my spring" ♪♪~
« Reply #344 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 23:21:46 »
ordered. glad I caught this before it expired like what usually happens
Front Line: IBM Model M SSK
Tactical Team: QFR TKL (MX Blue)
Recon: KUL ES-87 (MX Red)
Special Operations: RF 87U 55g

Offline deduction

• unix layout zealot
« Reply #345 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 19:51:48 »

Lubing springs reduces force needed?

In my experience, yes, with the effect being more pronounced at lower stiffness.

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #346 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 04:23:06 »
Is there any possibilities that someday Zealios won't do any GB anymore and straight to stock up $1 each on the web all the time?

Offline Drift Monkey

« Reply #347 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 07:11:22 »
So I just saw the below weights for gateron, not sure what these mean but they can't be the bottoming out weights can they? Black Gaterons are kind of like MX blacks, just smoother. Does anyone know the bottom out weight for these to compare to zealios?

Blacks - 50g Linear
Blues - 55g Clicky
Browns - 45g Tactile
Clears - 35g Linear (are these really this light?)
Greens - 80g Clicky
Reds - 45g Linear
Yellows - 50g Linear (what do these compare to? Are these the same as the blacks?)

Thanks

Edit: The Yellow and the Clears are the only ones really not comparable to MX.

So I just saw the below weights for gateron, not sure what these mean but they can't be the bottoming out weights can they? Black Gaterons are kind of like MX blacks, just smoother. Does anyone know the bottom out weight for these to compare to zealios?

Blacks - 50g Linear
Blues - 55g Clicky
Browns - 45g Tactile
Clears - 35g Linear (are these really this light?)
Greens - 80g Clicky
Reds - 45g Linear
Yellows - 50g Linear (what do these compare to? Are these the same as the blacks?)

Thanks

Edit: The Yellow and the Clears are the only ones really not comparable to MX.

I take it you saw this on the Massdrop listing? I think they use actuation force. Yellows are similar to Blacks, yet to me they feel slightly different. I prefer Yellow.

Correct, those are the actuation forces, not bottom out resistance.. and yes, the Gateron Clears really are that light.

Gateron Yellow has the same actuation as Gateron Black, but a lighter bottom out resistance.

anyone got a link to the bottom out force for Gaterons, is there a link?

From what I gathered via rip's tests on reddit: the Gateron bottom out force is a bit softer than the Cherry's.

Blacks - 70g Linear
Yellows - 65g Linear

The trend seemingly follows across the board....smoother and a touch lighter.
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 February 2016, 19:51:23 by Drift Monkey »

Offline xxxkaliboyxxx

« Reply #348 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 07:51:55 »
Hey Zeal,

I sent a PM and a contact message through your site about my address change for the group buy. Thanks in advance.

Offline Chachal

• Keyboard Wear
« Reply #349 on: Tue, 23 February 2016, 16:01:02 »
I finally decided to order 65g. Really exiced about my 1st GB :)

Pok3r (MX Clear)