Author Topic: How hard to remade Microsoft Sculp with mechanical keys?  (Read 12801 times)

Offline mamcx

How hard to remade Microsoft Sculp with mechanical keys?
« on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 10:54:07 »
I have used for years the MS ergonomic keyboards. I'm a developer, not experience in hardware at all.

My actual one (MS Keyboard 4000) is starting to fade away and wish to replace it. The Sculp (https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-us/products/keyboards/sculpt-ergonomic-desktop/l5v-00001) is the most recent one, but I dislike:

1- Is Wireless
2- If the palm rest is like the one I already have, eventually it will tore apart...

And plus, I wish to have a mechanical keyboard. But the current ones with rectangular shape not interest me, and the ergonomics are limited and several are full of crazy shapes (IMHO), ie: I like the way the MS Ero keyboards are.

I want something familiar and boring. Plus, most ergo-mech don't have the full keyset and requiere to hit FN to activate them.

Probably the only change I wish to made is have all the punctation keys used in programming (like ({['"~`%|\/ etc) be direct, and not need the Shift key

So, I wonder how hard could be to remade the Sculp or the original Elite, but with mechanical keys.

- What will be needed?
- Is possible to buy the MS keyb and "just" replace the keys with mechanical (probably, need to remade all the top)
- What kind of tools + components need to be buy?
- Or exist a kit that is closer to what I'm looking for?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout

Offline jacobolus

Re: How hard to remade Microsoft Sculp with mechanical keys?
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 15:45:10 »
Sounds like a fun project. Depending on how polished a result you want and what level of soldering/etc. experience you have, it could take anywhere from a few days to a few months.

If you decide the DIY route is too much work, the Matias ErgoPro is a nice commercial alternative, http://matias.ca/ergopro/pc/

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 16:18:32 »
The TS65 Project might be what you are after ...
... except that it lacks function keys, but you could put those on a separate keypad or something.
Still very early in the project, though so you could petition for function keys.
I would suggest putting the function keys as two columns on the left side to even the widths of the left and right halves.

Anyway, the MS Sculpt is very comfortable. The mouse is too heavy though.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 12 February 2016, 16:51:19 »
The TS65 Project might be what you are after ...
... except that it lacks function keys, but you could put those on a separate keypad or something.
Still very early in the project, though so you could petition for function keys.
I would suggest putting the function keys as two columns on the left side to even the widths of the left and right halves.

Anyway, the MS Sculpt is very comfortable. The mouse is too heavy though.

There's also the Matias Ergo Prog that's out now.  It doesn't follow the split MS does as the 6 is on the right-hand side but it's an option for many.  There's an IC for the VE.A going on right now which is a bit closer in that it includes both function keys and some extras on the left side.  Kinesis is also supposed to be working on a Freestyle with MX compatible switches.  Hopefully that makes it out this year as well.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 19:02:50 »
Jacobolus already mentioned the Ergo Pro above. ;)
The VE.A is going to be really expensive ...
I wanted to mention the Kinesis Freestyle with mechanical switches but I don't think that we can yet say with certainty that they will get out of the design stage and actually produce it.

One design aspect that I am a bit concerned about is forward tilt. The Microsoft Sculpt and Ergo 4000 have that, but the mech keyboards here (TS65 and VE.A) have PCB in front of the numeric row which would incur even higher keyboard above the desk if you tilt it forward.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 13 February 2016, 23:44:30 »
I wouldn’t worry about forward tilt; it’s only useful if you have a tall chair / low desk, a standing desk, or put your keyboard on your lap. In most cases where you’d want forward tilt, your setup will be adjustable enough that height above the desk isn’t the primary concern (e.g. if you have an adjustable-height desk and a tall saddle-type stool, just lower the desk to compensate for any forward tilt you add). In most other cases, you don’t actually want forward tilt.

The several academic studies I’ve seen supporting forward tilt as a design feature were well meaning but poorly set up to only test a very contrived setup, and in my opinion tested the wrong thing, and are not at all convincing about the advantages of forward tilt.

In my opinion, the most important thing is to keep the wrists in as straight and neutral a position as possible. This is entirely possible without any kind of arm/wrist/palm support, but what it does require is keeping the plane of the board parallel to the plane of the palms/forearms.

With most chairs and most desks & tables, this is best accomplished through a “positive” tilt. For instance, when I take my laptop to a coffeeshop and set it on a table, I typically want to prop a book under the far end of the laptop. If you look at the way old typewriters were used by secretaries, there is a steep positive tilt, matching height of the typewriter keyboard relative to their chairs, but they manage to keep their wrists in a straight neutral position and type (relatively) comfortably for hours every day. (By contrast when my laptop is on my lap, then leaving it flat works great.)

Getting the two halves of the keyboard split apart, turned inward a bit, and “tented” (with the middle higher than the outsides) is more useful in my opinion than forward tilt per se.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 February 2016, 23:46:26 by jacobolus »

Offline mamcx

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 11:48:20 »
Depending on how polished a result you want and what level of soldering/etc. experience you have, it could take anywhere from a few days to a few months.

Zero experience ;). Anyway I'm holding in buy a mech keyb for more than a year now, thinking that somebody will made something closer.

I take a look at  the TS65 Project and it look cool, but is far away the MS keyb. I'm unsure about go with a crazy design like this or the ErgoDock or KeyboardIO, because I'm in Colombia and don't have a way to test in person or easy way to return it. Mainly about minimizing unfamiliarity anyway... (However I tempted by the idea of http://keymouse.com and suspect a split keyboard could be re-configured as mouse too)...

Specially, I don't like the current trend of mini-keybs/60% or similar that is so hot! right know. Even lose the numpad feel bad to me (I have use the Apple keybs and hate that. But the Sculp have it separate so is ok).

I have found http://atreus.technomancy.us/ and its look closer (equally with the Truly Ergo Key) instead is flat and not curved (and it need FN to acces vital keys for programing, that is deal breaker for me).

------
Buy a commercial one is also a option. I have thinking in the keymouse (if go crazy, go full - But the project have run forever with not clear date to ship-), the Truly Ergo have bad reviews, the KeyboardIO look good but also need FN for vital characters, the Matias could be fine, but I'm unsure is great enough. Damm, I'm truly spoiled by my familiarity with the MS keyb!
------

Ok, returning to the idea. Convert to mech a MS keyboard look harder than I have tough. As I understand, I need to create one:

1- a PBC
2- MX switches
3- Keycaps
4- Controller
5- Soldering (probably ask a friend for this)
6- The body
7- Luck!

I think the only "unconventional" aspect of this project related to the ones I see here on in massdrop is that this keyb is curved at the top (and have full size).

I could find the way to recreated the curved top with a local that have the way for it, but wonder if is possible to get pre-made the bottom (PBC, Controller, switches connectors), add the keycaps and assemble.

Offline obfuscated

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 14 February 2016, 16:21:53 »
I could find the way to recreated the curved top with a local that have the way for it, but wonder if is possible to get pre-made the bottom (PBC, Controller, switches connectors), add the keycaps and assemble.

The plate will be the hardest part.
You don't need a PCB for a single keyboard you can just solder wires to every switch. Also as far as I know curved PCBs are quite expensive.
For keycaps you can use standard caps from a donor board or some standard layout set.

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 18 February 2016, 13:58:44 »
I have used for years the MS ergonomic keyboards. I'm a developer, not experience in hardware at all.

My actual one (MS Keyboard 4000) is starting to fade away and wish to replace it. The Sculp (https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-us/products/keyboards/sculpt-ergonomic-desktop/l5v-00001) is the most recent one, but I dislike:

1- Is Wireless
2- If the palm rest is like the one I already have, eventually it will tore apart...

And plus, I wish to have a mechanical keyboard. But the current ones with rectangular shape not interest me, and the ergonomics are limited and several are full of crazy shapes (IMHO), ie: I like the way the MS Ero keyboards are.

I want something familiar and boring. Plus, most ergo-mech don't have the full keyset and requiere to hit FN to activate them.

Probably the only change I wish to made is have all the punctation keys used in programming (like ({['"~`%|\/ etc) be direct, and not need the Shift key

So, I wonder how hard could be to remade the Sculp or the original Elite, but with mechanical keys.

- What will be needed?
- Is possible to buy the MS keyb and "just" replace the keys with mechanical (probably, need to remade all the top)
- What kind of tools + components need to be buy?
- Or exist a kit that is closer to what I'm looking for?

I created a prototype board called the katana, which was *based on* the shape of the microsoft natural ergonomic keyboard 4000  with modifications (including mechanical switches):
http://imgur.com/a/Wpy9j

I want to release the plate files soon, if you have a 3D printer and are happy to solder your own keyboard, you could print your own version...

Offline mamcx

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 10:08:51 »
I want to release the plate files soon, if you have a 3D printer and are happy to solder your own keyboard, you could print your own version...

Which kind of 3D printer will work? I don't have one and buy one will skyrocket the cost for me, but I culd see if somebody else have it.

I'm planning in use sculp clay to prototype it, but seeing yours show this will be easier if all is flat (however, the soft curve feel nice in the MS keyb).

Do you have a components list? Estimated cost?