Author Topic: [GB] Noxary X60 R (Complete)  (Read 90422 times)

Offline dyrdevil

Re: [GB] Noxary X60 R (All Invoices Out - 48 Hours To Pay)
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 21 January 2018, 15:11:59 »
Paid! There goes my PayPal balance  :-X.

Super happy for this beautiful board to be my first custom after several years of salivating over high end boards.

In for a silver HHKB , brass plate.. gonna stick GMK 9009 on it.

Grats and good choice, that's what I wanted too ;P

Thanks! Glad to hear you think it’s a good combo.  Sounds like v2 is not too far off and maybe be even sexier, good luck!

Offline exanile_tabasco

• settling down
« Reply #101 on: Sun, 21 January 2018, 16:43:24 »
yeaaaa boiiiiiiiii here we go

thanks to everyone who showed their support to make this happen  :)  knowing xondat there will be plenty more projects down the pipeline for everyone to get in on

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: [GB] Noxary X60 R (Placing Order)
« Reply #102 on: Sun, 21 January 2018, 20:30:11 »
After 280/220, which is after 268... So June/July seems about right.

Wow, would you drop a hint of the 280 and 220?

Also, speaking of the surface of the case, the R1 X60 has a rather reflective and smooth surface which is cool. A more matte finish is also nice and reflects the light more uniformly. (https://imgur.com/a/gG0Yu X60 vs Viper) Since this is a new factory, do you have any specific preference?

Hard to say without seeing production 268s, I don't really mind too much as long as the quality is good.

Update on the remaining invoices:

All are now paid, so I'll work towards confirming all orders and then submit it :-*

Thanks all.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #103 on: Mon, 22 January 2018, 12:12:04 »
I'll be putting a spreadsheet up later of all the configurations of the slots so that everyone can confirm they're correct. Expect it within the next 4-6 hours :p

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #104 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 02:06:29 »

Also, speaking of the surface of the case, the R1 X60 has a rather reflective and smooth surface which is cool. A more matte finish is also nice and reflects the light more uniformly. (https://imgur.com/a/gG0Yu X60 vs Viper) Since this is a new factory, do you have any specific preference?

a more matte finish is often a mark of lower quality anodizing

basically, good anodizing should feel and act like a nicely polished stone countertop

so a matte finish might be something you want to achieve with cerakote rather than anodizing

but i'm not a metals engineer, so what do i know
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #105 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 04:37:12 »

basically, good anodizing should feel and act like a nicely polished stone countertop

so a matte finish might be something you want to achieve with cerakote rather than anodizing

Matte finish and most anodizing finishes just have to do with how the metal is treated before it's anodized. It dependent on if the surface is bead blasted (and what size glass beads if so) vs caustic soda vs flouride acid bath, etc.

The baths can also run into issues with overetching on machined parts, so if anything getting a clean matte finish is harder than a non matte one.

Offline WhateverZYX

« Reply #106 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 07:03:53 »

You should start differentiating materials between individual parameters that actually matter, and not between "good" or "bad".

Different anodized surfaces have different properties, which makes them useful for certain applications.
Those surfaces are a function of various reaction conditions. (If you want to learn more: https://materialsdata.nist.gov/bitstream/handle/11115/221/Anodizing.pdf?sequence=1)
The only property that somewhat matters for custom keyboards is surface hardness, but I would argue that cosmetics is a far more important factor.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #107 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 16:36:41 »

You should start differentiating materials between individual parameters that actually matter, and not between "good" or "bad".

Different anodized surfaces have different properties, which makes them useful for certain applications.
Those surfaces are a function of various reaction conditions. (If you want to learn more: https://materialsdata.nist.gov/bitstream/handle/11115/221/Anodizing.pdf?sequence=1)
The only property that somewhat matters for custom keyboards is surface hardness, but I would argue that cosmetics is a far more important factor.

i'll take a read of that, but i'm mostly just regurgitating what i heard from an aluminum engineer/distributor friend of mine

thanks
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline megaforce

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 17:49:00 »
love me some aluminum engineers

Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #109 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 04:06:01 »
love me some aluminum engineers

I once made a boat out of aluminum foil?

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #110 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 08:23:16 »
Two people haven't confirmed their order. Hurry up foolios so we can get this show on the road.
keyboards.

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #111 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 10:33:43 »
Two people haven't confirmed their order. Hurry up foolios so we can get this show on the road.

I confirmed the same day, but I think he may be busy?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #112 on: Thu, 25 January 2018, 10:47:19 »
Only hold up is that I can't access the CAD files on my laptop; I'm back Saturday and will sort everything then :-*

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: [GB] Noxary X60 R
« Reply #113 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 00:04:16 »

That's the plate :-\

Will be compiling & then submitting the order before I sleep.

Edit: Order sent off, now we wait!
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 January 2018, 00:37:49 by xondat »

Offline lunr

« Reply #114 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 00:48:03 »
The wait begins :(

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #115 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 09:20:39 »
Same factory as 268? So maybe they'll get underway soon since those have to be nearing cnc completion and moving to ano.
keyboards.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #116 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 12:19:13 »
The wait begins :(

Yes :-\

On the up side, should be a bit shorter due to lower quantity. Downside being CNY starting half way through.

Same factory as 268? So maybe they'll get underway soon since those have to be nearing cnc completion and moving to ano.

Same factory as 268!

Once I get confirmation that the order has been placed, I should have a time frame within a few days.

Offline poolside

« Reply #117 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 19:23:55 »
Will extra PCBs be available when the boards ship? I went no-PCB but I now think I could use one.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #118 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 19:24:42 »
Will extra PCBs be available when the boards ship? I went no-PCB but I now think I could use one.

is this not standard left USB?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #119 on: Sun, 28 January 2018, 20:24:04 »
Should fit any 60% PCB using standard placement including Zeal/NerD. I'll have extra PCBs though.

Offline poolside

« Reply #120 on: Mon, 29 January 2018, 17:26:29 »
Should fit any 60% PCB using standard placement including Zeal/NerD. I'll have extra PCBs though.

Thanks. I might then bug you once the boards ship to purchase an extra PCB  ;D

Offline exanile_tabasco

• settling down
« Reply #121 on: Tue, 30 January 2018, 00:25:50 »
Was the plan in the end to have USB-C PCBs? Or are we still being offered the ol' B.face (nothing against the old n' gold but I want to make the transition to USB-C eventually).

I see that Doyu has come out with a USB-C board but as it's still in its early revisions I thought I'd hold off on it.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #122 on: Tue, 30 January 2018, 08:23:06 »
Was the plan in the end to have USB-C PCBs? Or are we still being offered the ol' B.face (nothing against the old n' gold but I want to make the transition to USB-C eventually).

I see that Doyu has come out with a USB-C board but as it's still in its early revisions I thought I'd hold off on it.

I want to personally transition to USB C, so all my future boards including this will have it. It's just a better connector, and I see no point waiting for everyone to get cables (either the consumer or maker has to push it, and the maker can make the switch happen a lot easier).

B.face is kind of useless with this. It's a $60 PCB with a more restricting firmware. I know that's the price because of the LEDs, but they aren't useful with a build like this so it's basically $60/bad firmware vs $30/great firmware. Obvious choice to me.

I plan to use this same PCB with X60 V2 so I'd like it to be perfect, even if it means delaying this shipment or sending them separately (which I doubt either will be the case, as PCB prototyping and making changes is very quick). It won't be too complex or over the top, so should be easy.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #123 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 23:13:02 »
Nothing to report as things slow down because of CNY. I imagine things will start shortly after they're back, and I'll report with a estimated completion date when I get it :p

Also I finally compared V1, R, and V2 (took me way too long). See the album here: https://imgur.com/a/pGkB9

R is a combination of V1 aesthetics, and V2 construction. :D

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #124 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 00:36:53 »
Nothing to report as things slow down because of CNY. I imagine things will start shortly after they're back, and I'll report with a estimated completion date when I get it :p

Also I finally compared V1, R, and V2 (took me way too long). See the album here: https://imgur.com/a/pGkB9

Thanks for this! Stoked :)

Offline MMKB

« Reply #125 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 13:02:47 »

Oh, I see that in V2 you moved the screws closer to the edges to make bezels even tighter.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #126 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 14:18:13 »

Oh, I see that in V2 you moved the screws closer to the edges to make bezels even tighter.

Well it's identical to R, just 2mm less on each side and a larger edge finish. :))

But yes, main change with the internals was switching from M3 to M2, and having a platform that I'm able to do super thin or larger bezels.

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #127 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 15:04:05 »
Will this be "true high profile" and not have any gaps or switches showing with key caps mounted?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #128 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 15:32:15 »
Will this be "true high profile" and not have any gaps or switches showing with key caps mounted?

High profile of course. Same bezel height as X60 and 268:

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #129 on: Fri, 09 February 2018, 01:11:06 »

High profile of course. Same bezel height as X60 and 268:

Show Image

awwwyisss :p

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #130 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 23:16:00 »
Still CNY, so nothing new on production side.

Works well because I need to make a few design alterations due to small issues found with 268. As described in the 280/220 thread, if 268 was V2, X60 R/280/220 will be V2.1. This won't change production estimates or anything, just that I'm submitting a different file.

Going to be wrapping up the USB-C only decision by Sunday too, so will be following up PMs when I wake up :p

Offline lunr

« Reply #131 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 08:33:54 »
What was the decision on the USB-C thing?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #132 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 08:36:22 »
What was the decision on the USB-C thing?

Not reached one yet, still discussing this with the person I'm doing this for :thumb:

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #133 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 09:47:27 »
Locking this as it's no longer used. :p

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #134 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 13:40:14 »
Unlocking as this is an active group buy

Offline JJ

« Reply #135 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 03:18:24 »
Would be interested in taking any hhkb x60r spots

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #136 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 10:18:49 »
Hi,

For a few months, after all users agreed, all updates on this buy have been on my Discord server. I've now closed the group buy channel for this buy, and all discussion will be here.

The reasoning: This thread was posted -- the intent seems to be to make group buy issues public. I addressed the images here.

None of these issues will be present with this buy, as all have been resolved with the factory.

I want to apologize for how careless this may look. I will continue to do my best, and from now on, be completely transparent with the kits.

Thanks, Anthony.

P.S. I will have a public update on what has been going on with this buy.

Offline nastrovje

« Reply #137 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 21:34:24 »
Following up on where I left off on discord.

Is it possible to holtite the pcb?

Are the plates already cut or could I change the layout one last time?

Offline kekstee

« Reply #138 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 04:02:32 »
Weren't the plates universal only?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #139 on: Sat, 14 July 2018, 10:17:14 »

I don't think there is enough space under the PCB for them.

It's only ever been a universal layout :)

Offline regionfree

« Reply #140 on: Sat, 14 July 2018, 11:37:57 »

wow. the insides are going to be really tight!

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #141 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 04:47:03 »

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Sorry. I could not resist.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #142 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 12:44:02 »
Order has been placed, don't think it'll be longer than 3/4 weeks, but I'll note down a date when I'm told one. Thanks for the patience.

Offline regionfree

« Reply #143 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 23:51:18 »

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Sorry. I could not resist.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

ok ok.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #144 on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 13:13:58 »
Order has been placed, don't think it'll be longer than 3/4 weeks, but I'll note down a date when I'm told one. Thanks for the patience.

Should ship to me around August 26th.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: [GB] Noxary X60 R (In Production)
« Reply #145 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 17:04:40 »
Update I received today from the factory:

We have finished part of the new order, the plates are finished cutting, waiting for the cases for next finishing, anodizing or sandblasting, I will take some pictures for you when we finished some.

Seems to be on track :)

Offline megaforce

« Reply #146 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 17:24:57 »
i love binne. aka, binne daisuki
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 July 2018, 17:34:42 by megaforce93 »
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #147 on: Mon, 30 July 2018, 17:56:24 »
i love binne. aka, binne daisuki

Thanks mate

Offline MMKB

« Reply #148 on: Tue, 31 July 2018, 20:11:52 »
Compatible with any Standard 60% PCB

I can’t remember so want to confirm if this still holds true. There was a discussion around the port on Discord.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #149 on: Tue, 31 July 2018, 20:23:41 »
Compatible with any Standard 60% PCB

I can’t remember so want to confirm if this still holds true. There was a discussion around the port on Discord.

Switched over to a custom PCB. I will have about double the ordered amount, so will always be enough spare.

I'll update that now.