Author Topic: Looking for a new mouse  (Read 4921 times)

Offline mr_smith

Looking for a new mouse
« on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 13:08:12 »
Hey,

some time ago this site helped me a lot to find my beloved Filco and now I'm searching for a new mouse. Beside office work I use it for playing Dota 2 (no FPS).

Currently I own a good old MX518 (got it for over 8 years now) and a CM Storm Spawn. I never really get used to the Spawn. I guess my biggest problem is that the mouse buttons are too soft and I often activate them accidentally - mostly the RMB - but I really don't know.

To the grip I'm using: I guess it's mostly fingertip grip with the heel of my hand resting on the mouse pad (currently a 6 year old QcK  :D). On the MX518 my palm doesn't touch the mouse (sometimes the upper palm near the ring finger is the exception - hope you know what I mean). I attached some pictures to illustrate my grip und to clarify if this is really a fingertip grip (I always thought I use palm grip  :rolleyes:).

First I wanted to buy a EC1-A because of the form that - on the pictures - seems similar to the MX518. But then I read that this mouse is mostly recommended for FPS and in addition is not so good for fingertip but for palm.

So the research went on and now this is my list:
  • Roccat KPM (I dislike the colors and the whole military thing but the fact sheets looks good)
  • ZOWIE FK1 (bit confused about their numbering and how the size differences stated on the sheet appear in reality)
  • Mionix Avior 7000
  • Logitech G302 (are the buttons very loud?)

As you can see these are all ambidextrous models with that I've no experience but from what I've read about fingertip this is the most suitable form for it.

\edit: Additional information: My hand measures 19cm (7.5 inches) from the top of the middle finger to the wrist.

What do you say or suggest?

TIA

Thomas

P.S.: Unfortunately the local dealer has only a very small selection of only cheap mice.
P.P.S.: I know the MX518 is dirty but I don't get it clean anymore.

« Last Edit: Mon, 26 January 2015, 13:52:34 by mr_smith »

Offline munch

• !
Re: Looking for a new mouse
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 17:51:25 »
Roccat KPM is IMO a lot like MX518 but flatter. I quite liked the shape for a kind of similar grip to yours.

you don't need to use the LEDs on it and it actually looks a lot better in the Naval Storm colour (grey) than the other two, IMO. and a lot better than MX518 ;)

I'll go ahead and just recommend that one, since it is a little inbetween your current mice, but a lot better quality and technical aspects of it. :)

Offline 7Teku

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 19:28:07 »
Since you aren't playing FPS, it doesn't really matter what mouse you choose. Pick the one you think is the best shape. If you like the shape of the MX518, just get a G400s.

Offline mr_smith

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 10:16:28 »
Roccat KPM is IMO a lot like MX518 but flatter. I quite liked the shape for a kind of similar grip to yours.

you don't need to use the LEDs on it and it actually looks a lot better in the Naval Storm colour (grey) than the other two, IMO. and a lot better than MX518 ;)

I'll go ahead and just recommend that one, since it is a little inbetween your current mice, but a lot better quality and technical aspects of it. :)

Thank you. My KPM just arrived and I really like it.  Size is perfect and the clicks feel good (not worried about accidentally clicking the buttons). Mouse wheel is a bit stiff but I guess I just have to get used to it. What's new for me is the fact that the sides are not rubbered, so on the thumb and the pinky it feels a bit slippery.

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 19:04:04 »
ohh well I hope that won't be too much of a problem. I really don't mind non-rubberized mice so I didn't think about that. the grip was really good for me.

Offline dotnetmonkey

• .NET dev, student, IT journalist and HHKB fan
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 06:40:13 »
I would suggest Razer Naga Hex - http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-naga-hex
Great mouse for MOBA ... I'm using "regular" Naga and it is perfect...

HHKB Pro 2 Type S

Offline Bucake

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 10:23:47 »
why are you getting a new mouse?
something you dislike about the mx518?
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 10:33:07 »
As much as ppl put down razer. I love their mouses. The deathadder is cheap and perfect. plus the new chroma one is pretty cool.

Offline mr_smith

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 02:23:39 »

I love the mx518 and wouldn't have changed it if it still worked properly. But from time to time clicks aren't recognized correctly anymore :(

With the KPM I feel like I've found a great successor.

Offline animated

• uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 15:45:50 »
Since you aren't playing FPS, it doesn't really matter what mouse you choose. Pick the one you think is the best shape. If you like the shape of the MX518, just get a G400s.

Since you're talking about best shape, is there a BEST shape? or should the person just choose whatever feels the best in their hand.  Ambi shaped mice always felt the best for me but i feel like a mouse, for example the Naos 7000, has a more ergonomic shape.  Do you know if one should just use a more ergonomic shaped mouse?
Das Browns, Filco Reds, Filco Blues, Leopold FC750R Reds, B.87 and B.Pad Gateron Blacks 65G Korean Springs, Varmillo VA87MR Gateron Blacks w/ Aluminum Case

Offline Bucake

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 15:49:42 »

I love the mx518 and wouldn't have changed it if it still worked properly. But from time to time clicks aren't recognized correctly anymore :(

With the KPM I feel like I've found a great successor.

oh, didn't read you already had a replacement :) well, from what i've read, the KPM is a very good mouse.
glad you found something you like :D
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline 7Teku

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 17:31:36 »

Since you're talking about best shape, is there a BEST shape? or should the person just choose whatever feels the best in their hand.  Ambi shaped mice always felt the best for me but i feel like a mouse, for example the Naos 7000, has a more ergonomic shape.  Do you know if one should just use a more ergonomic shaped mouse?

It's preference. Some people like ambi mice. Some like ergo mice. It really doesn't matter.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 February 2015, 17:33:10 by 7Teku »

Offline Rit

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 11:32:10 »
I'm in the same boat as you as I went from the MX518 to the G5... and now I'm looking at the Logietch G502, Mionix Naos 3200, Zowie FK1...

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 12:54:21 »
The 502 is a phenomenal mouse. The look is a little over the top, but it's performance is unchallenged. It is the only mouse except the IE 3.0 that I've ever used that I've never been able to get to skip or stutter.

Offline jabbon

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 13:44:03 »
G400S all the way. If you can get a G400 without angle prediction even better, but I used both and I like them equal. FYI, I have been using MX500/510/518/G400 for almost 10 years and I will never adapt to a different mice shape.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 14:39:18 »
i love the suggestions in here :D

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 18:08:10 »
I tried many customizable mouse including razer oros, rat 9, or the infamous SS
But my heart lies with Logitech, currently using a G602 (though I tried G700)

I'll be using nothing but Logitech from now on
Give them a try
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo