Author Topic: Model M (122 keys USB): Some keys don't work with a modifier.  (Read 892 times)

Offline Professor Fate

Model M (122 keys USB): Some keys don't work with a modifier.
« on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 13:47:43 »
I've recently encountered some trouble with my newly screw-modded Model M: Some keystrokes don't arrive on my PC when triggered together with a modifier key. In detail, these are:

* Right Shift key + 2 (which should emit a double-quote mark). Together with the left Shift key, though, everything works fine.
* Right Alt key + S.
* Right Ctrl key + X (cut). Together with the left Ctrl key, however, everything works fine.
* Both Ctrl keys + PF16.

To get all scancodes black on white, I used the xev utility on my SuSE Linux machine, which records all key press and release events. xev does register the respective modifier keystrokes, but when the modifier key is pressed, it no longer recognizes the keystroke of the other key. Without the modifier, however, the keys mentioned work absolutely normally.

What do you think: Is this rather a flaw of the keyboard resp. its controller, or of the PC resp. the xkb subsystem handling the scancodes it receives? Thank you.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Model M (122 keys USB): Some keys don't work with a modifier.
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 17:14:29 »
This way out of my league, but I do know that if you are using Soarer's firmware there are differences between right and left (as well as, for example, "keyboard 3" and "numpad 3").

For example, Soarer lists scan codes for Left Control and Left Shift as 0xE0 and 0xE2 with scan codes for Right Control and Right Shift being 0xE4 and 0xE5.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Professor Fate

Re: Model M (122 keys USB): Some keys don't work with a modifier.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 07:14:03 »
As xev does recognize Control_L vs. Control_R, I suppose these two keys emit different scancodes.