Author Topic: [SOLD] NIB – TG3 KBA-nBLTA "Cop Car" (MX Blacks), $24.99 shipped  (Read 10618 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
TG3 KBA-nBLTA USB Keyboard with Touchpad and Mouse Buttons New

These sellers obviously don't know what they have. This is a pretty remarkable deal for these NEW toughened (hard-duty) boards designed for police patrol cars. Cherry MX Black switches and integrated touchpad (see DT page here for more details).

$24.99 each + free U.S. shipping. As I post, more than 10 still available, with over 280 sold... Sheesh!
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 April 2018, 03:20:57 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: NIB – TG3 KBA-nBLTA "Cop Car" (MX Blacks), $24.99 shipped
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 20:23:18 »
Show Image

What you get
 - 82 PCB mounted mx blacks
 - Rubber dome spillguard. If you like really stiff switches, you can cut these in pieces and use on other boards.
 - SP doubleshot keycaps, all in top row height except for space bar
 - 1 plate mounted stab.  Space bar wire is in weird length
 - USB cable and some electronic parts you might use ie. trackpad click buttons, 5mm green LED.
 - Plate works pretty well as a lubing station
More
Show Image

some helpful info from one of the previous threads on these

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 20:57:57 »
That is helpful.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 19 March 2018, 14:49:39 »
I don't need this.  I don't need this.  I NEED THIS!  ****

Offline JP

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 10:47:32 »
I DON'T NEED THIS EITHER  :-\
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline Zuology

• Why does this rabbit-hole have so many side-quests
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 11:03:40 »
Me neither! That's why I bought two...
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)
Full+: Clueboard Double 1800 (Vint Clears) | IBM Model M | IBM Model F XT

Offline ScottPaladin

• Personal Website
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 23:04:03 »
Perfect. I need a new MX Black board to replace the god awful Rgb one I got at an estate sale recently.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 23:48:14 »
bought it. 

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 18:22:02 »
I DON'T NEED THIS EITHER  :-\

I don't need this.  I don't need this.  I NEED THIS!  ****

Maybe we should just hire someone to post these kinds of things, assuming they'd be speaking for all of us... Imagine how much time it'd save.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 16:11:57 »
Got mine today.  It's pretty nice.  Great clacky sounds in a hollow plastic (but sturdy) case.  It's my jam.  I really like the uniform profile DSC keys.  One weird thing about this keyboard is that it has a FN key to the right of the spacebar that doesn't output any codes, and no combination of FN and another key does anything different.  Just a random key that does nothing.  Ha.

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 16:37:48 »
Got mine today.  It's pretty nice.  Great clacky sounds in a hollow plastic (but sturdy) case.  It's my jam.  I really like the uniform profile DSC keys.  One weird thing about this keyboard is that it has a FN key to the right of the spacebar that doesn't output any codes, and no combination of FN and another key does anything different.  Just a random key that does nothing.  Ha.
Maybe it's programed for specific police software? Does the track pad work?
***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys

Offline JP

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 16:41:42 »
Gah! I broke down and bought one. I seriously will start thinking about selling some keyboards this spring / summer.

Offline BobCarltheThird

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 16:47:53 »
Gah! I broke down and bought one. I seriously will start thinking about selling some keyboards this spring / summer.
Hey if nothing else you can salvage the switches. 30 cents a switch plus an hour of work is pretty awesome of a deal IMO
***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 17:09:03 »
Just found out that I can't use it to play overwatch :(

Can't press E while pressing other movement keys

My Dell AT101w is the same way.  Still a fun keyboard.  I have a lot of DCS novelty keys that work well on the esc.  Have a red "Panic" on it at the moment.  Looks boss.

Offline mrhead

• Thread \ (•◡•) / Stopper
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 18:38:59 »
Fn key may be exclusive to toggling the backlight on/off - the keyboard may be the same as the backlit version otherwise.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 19:42:27 »
Maybe it's programed for specific police software? Does the track pad work?

Yep, trackpad works.   No scrolling on it, but tap works. 

Probably right about the FN being for backlight. 

Offline ScottPaladin

• Personal Website
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 21:46:56 »
Got mine too. The rubber spill guard between the keys and the switches freaked me out at first but it only took a minute to partially disassemble the board and remove that. Before it felt like a rubber dome, but now it's pleasantly smooth. The switches are genuine Cherry blacks and this is a solidly built little board. Thick plastic with a heavy metal back plate.

I'm not a huge fan of the key caps. The are doubleshots, but pretty thin. The profile throws me, too. It makes a sort of 'saw tooth' effect that I don't dig. If I was planning on using this everyday I think I'd got for some DSA or XDA to replace these.  I think this is actually a perfect board to put in my server room to use with any servers that I need to hook a console up to.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 22:17:47 »
Got mine too. The rubber spill guard between the keys and the switches freaked me out at first but it only took a minute to partially disassemble the board and remove that. Before it felt like a rubber dome, but now it's pleasantly smooth. The switches are genuine Cherry blacks and this is a solidly built little board. Thick plastic with a heavy metal back plate.

I'm not a huge fan of the key caps. The are doubleshots, but pretty thin. The profile throws me, too. It makes a sort of 'saw tooth' effect that I don't dig. If I was planning on using this everyday I think I'd got for some DSA or XDA to replace these.  I think this is actually a perfect board to put in my server room to use with any servers that I need to hook a console up to.

I actually like the caps.  They are Signature Plastics DCS Row 1.  Thin but good texture.  You have to hover over the board more for the profile to feel right. 

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 23:21:57 »
If anyone doesn’t want them spill guards, I know an address you can send them to :)

Message if interested!

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 28 March 2018, 08:00:07 »
I have one of these that I bought back in the day.  I pull it out when working on a system that doesn't have ps2 ports for me to connect to my kvm.

It's got a really tactile feel, almost like a stiffer, inconsistent Topre with the membrane in.  I haven't modded mine, but I'm sure it would be a butter smooth black otherwise.  They keycaps seem a bit narrower and have some odd sizes so be careful if you plan to change the keycaps.  The lowered spacebar annoys me to no end, but I can put up with it for the basics that I use the board for.  Very sturdy, like IBM-level sturdy.  I feel like I could use it as a weapon if need be.  Overall, very nice board if you just need a kb/mouse combo real quick or a compact combo unit.  :thumb:

Offline Zuology

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 29 March 2018, 13:10:53 »
Unique 75% layout that is one-less column because of shortened keys. I had also read a while back that the rubber membrane sheets (spill guard) that went over the switches gave it a Topre/Dome-like feeling. The board itself is neat, and a great compact solution. I don't actually give a damn about the Cherry Blacks (not a Linear fan) that these come with, but with the dome sheet spill guard, they feel really interesting, and I'm wondering what the potential is for these to be made in 60%, TKL, 100% size (standard layouts) and be a cheap but low-key way to get Topre-like feeling for use over cheap linear switches.

I've taken one apart (bought two) to harvest the rubber dome sheet/gasket, and cut out the main alphanumeric block to lay over a 75% I have with cheap brown switches (Drevo Excalibur) that I haven't swapped out yet (lighter than the blacks on the Cop keyboard, with light built in bump) and it feels... awesome. It feels like a eureka moment, for such an easy and basic drop in solution that rivals the feel of my most recent project, which was swapping BKE Redux Heavy domes into a Plum 84 (I like 75%s and heavy tactile/clicky). The base tactility in the brown switches (they're branded "Drevo" but I suspect they're Outemu) is magnified 10x by the rubber dome that collapses between the keycap and the switchtop as it's actuating. Admittedly they feel a bit heavier than I would prefer for extended typing, but the results are just incredible. For $25 I dropped in rubber membrane pieces that have transformed a very basic board into something unique and unrivaled! And because I transplanted it to another 75% board, with some trimwork I was able to utilize all 82 domes with minimal effort, leaving only two keys on the Excalibur not covered with dome (suck it Prtscr and Pause)

***There is a caveat, however. Because of the space the dome membrane needs to sit between the keycap and the switchtop, low profile keycaps will not work (binding, pre-loaded so minimal travel/tactility, just a bad experience). The stock keycaps that come with this board are tall profile SP DCS R1, similar in height/clearance to OEM and SA. I didn't have any OEM profile keycaps out and handy, but I'm a sculpted SA fan (all Maxkey so far). and they work BEAUTIFULLY. When I get home after work, I'm going to try them with the stock OEM profile keycaps that I have buried in a drawer somewhere, and am anticipating similar results. The Cherry profile and DSA that I had handy did not perform well with this mod.

If anyone else here is discarding the dome sheet, hit me up - I'll gladly take them off your hands, for keyboard science! I've already placed an inquiry with TG3 directly to see if they can sell me some of the gaskets in small quantity if others are interested in trying this mod out themselves and not wanting to shell out $25+ (seller has increased to $30 recently). I'm ordering an inexpensive Drevo Gramr (same layout as excalibur) with red switches to see if this mod feels as good on light linears (lighter than the browns, no tactile bump to add to the dome collapsing).

Lastly, if anyone is using these stock, do yourselves a favor and take off the spacebar and trim/remove the gaskets around the stabs and it sounds and feels so much better (basically circumcising the stabs haha).

For the $25, it's an awesome donor board for switches, membrane sheet, keycaps (aside from the non-standard shortened mods/1-key), and someone else mentioned that the plate works well as a switch holder for modding. Quality find, thanks to OP for sharing this!
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 March 2018, 13:19:10 by Zuology »
More
75%: Scarlet Bandana (TBD) | Singa75 Polycarb (TBD) | SKB75 (TBD) | YMD75 (Box Navy) | XD84 (Outemu Ice) | Plum84 (BKE Redux Heavy)
TKL: ALF X1.1 SE (TBD) | LZ Iron White (TBD) | Fox Labs Orange (TBD) | Alu WASDv2 (Cherry Green) | MechkeyAlpha MA87 (Kailh Box Burnt Orange) | Archon RE:AL Superior EX (Nopre 65g)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Re: [SOLD] NIB – TG3 KBA-nBLTA "Cop Car" (MX Blacks), $24.99 shipped
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 01 April 2018, 03:26:41 »
Got mine today.  It's pretty nice.  Great clacky sounds in a hollow plastic (but sturdy) case.  It's my jam.  I really like the uniform profile DSC keys...

Gah! I broke down and bought one...

Got mine too. The rubber spill guard between the keys and the switches freaked me out at first but it only took a minute to partially disassemble the board and remove that. Before it felt like a rubber dome, but now it's pleasantly smooth. The switches are genuine Cherry blacks and this is a solidly built little board. Thick plastic with a heavy metal back plate...

Quality find, thanks to OP for sharing this!

Glad to help. Thanks for your interesting, in-depth comments!

It's probably obvious, but a spill guard would be essential in a patrol car, considering all the coffee and donuts in the board's vicinity.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 10:51:46 »
It's probably obvious, but a spill guard would be essential in a patrol car, considering all the coffee and donuts in the board's vicinity.
Hahaha.  It just hit me why this really should NOT have been a design criteria for patrol cars--I don't eat in my car, and why are the police?

Offline JP

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 11:26:09 »
Ah so the spill guard explains why the spacebar requires a ton of force? Also I'm surprised that these went so quick. Of course the price was right.

Offline Zuology

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 13:15:58 »
These gained a lot of traction over on reddit, and I bought up a dozen of them because the spill guard dome mod is really neat IMO, and worth the cost of buying the boards just to harvest and sell out the community. The boards themselves are worth their weight in switches for what I ended up paying.
More

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 13:20:05 »
I have used red backlit version and it is okay. Some of the LEDs are dead that I should probably replace but I don't really care much about the board. I might just take the switches and scrap the rest of it, but not sure what I'll do yet. FYI, TG3 built a large portion of their boards with MX Blacks for anyone interested in finding cheap mechanical boards.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 11 April 2018, 00:53:07 »

Hahaha.  It just hit me why this really should NOT have been a design criteria for patrol cars--I don't eat in my car, and why are the police?

You're right! Tell you what—go straighten out all those guys in the police cars. We'll wait here in case you have to be bailed out.

These gained a lot of traction over on reddit, and I bought up a dozen of them because the spill guard dome mod is really neat IMO...

[looking impressed]

Offline PCliquidations

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 15 October 2018, 11:09:01 »
Good Afternoon,

I do not mean to necropost, but I wanted to mention that these keyboards are back in stock.  I actually dont care much for MX Black myself (im a brown kind of guy).  That being said, these are at a good price point and would recommend for a collection or just to have a decent backup.  These are also great for kids who spill on everything. My 4-year-old has had his going on 6 months, and it's still kicking, despite all the torture it has received.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 19:49:24 »
Good Afternoon,

I do not mean to necropost, but I wanted to mention that these keyboards are back in stock.  I actually dont care much for MX Black myself (im a brown kind of guy).  That being said, these are at a good price point and would recommend for a collection or just to have a decent backup.  These are also great for kids who spill on everything. My 4-year-old has had his going on 6 months, and it's still kicking, despite all the torture it has received.

Thanks for mentioning it... Did you mean to include a link to the listing page?

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 19:56:16 »
Meanwhile, as I post, this eBay vendor's offering two new TG3's:

NIB ($24.99)

New, no box ($20.99)

Both include free US shipping... I don't think you'll find much better deals than those!

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 16:58:56 »

You're right! Tell you what—go straighten out all those guys in the police cars. We'll wait here in case you have to be bailed out.
;D  I'm speeding too fast to stop and tell them, haha.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 17:00:52 »
Meanwhile, as I post, this eBay vendor's offering two new TG3's:

NIB ($24.99)

New, no box ($20.99)

Both include free US shipping... I don't think you'll find much better deals than those!

And these are a great deal too for those of us that need a quick keyboard and mouse to work on a computer without one.  They sometimes take a while to be completely recognized (so you might miss the bios splash screen), but otherwise they're great.  And if you leave the protective membrane on they have a very tactile feel to them which is neat within itself, but feels like 80g so it's heavy and would kill you if you have to type on them for too long.

Offline Zuology

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 17:16:53 »
And these are a great deal too for those of us that need a quick keyboard and mouse to work on a computer without one.  They sometimes take a while to be completely recognized (so you might miss the bios splash screen), but otherwise they're great.  And if you leave the protective membrane on they have a very tactile feel to them which is neat within itself, but feels like 80g so it's heavy and would kill you if you have to type on them for too long.

The tactility the splashguard dome sheet offers is something that I've been refining as a side project to give Topre-like tactility to MX switches. V1 of the writeup is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/886rwr/modification_raincoat_mod_feat_cop_car_keyboard/

I plan on using 25g springs in lubed vint black housings in conjunction with the domes (which I estimate to add ~30-35g of weight on their own - enough to return the slider in a springless switch) once I have time to put it all together, with the hope that it will yield an experience somewhere in between the 65g lubed Nopre and BKE Redux Heavy boards I have built. Only real caveat with this "mod" is that it requires high profile keycaps in order for the dome to sit right and collapse/rebound properly (for reference the stock cop car keyboard uses all R1 DCS which is high profile, and I've tested with SA - MT3 should work as well, but I don't *yet* ...ahem susuwatari... have my own to test with)
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 October 2018, 17:19:14 by Zuology »
More

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 18:12:58 »
Fascinating!  Very cool! 

I was afraid of removing the membrane thinking it might have been attached to the frame somehow, but after seeing your images I'm not afraid to remove it and see how I like the blacks just by themselves. :)

Offline Zuology

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 18:16:38 »
Fascinating!  Very cool! 

I was afraid of removing the membrane thinking it might have been attached to the frame somehow, but after seeing your images I'm not afraid to remove it and see how I like the blacks just by themselves. :)

The switches in the lot that I bought up when I was first hooked into this idea are all pre-retool Cherry MX Blacks, meaning that they are going to be relatively scratchy compared to the retools. Due to the further-compacted layout of the board (it's narrower than normal 75% by a full column) you're limited to using the stock keycaps or putting some money into vomit grab bags or blank uniform keycaps like DSA/XDA/3SA.

The only thing that makes the stock board experience unusable for me is that the spacebar is the only keycap that TG3 did not pay to have molded in R1 profile, so it sits super sunken in and is awkward to hit over the edge of the lip of the case (which is surprisingly high profile), and looks out of place against all the R1 profile alphas/mods around it.
More

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 18:48:49 »
Hmm...never thought about them being pre-retooled blacks.  I'll leave it alone then. :)

Offline fer.real

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 25 October 2018, 10:22:35 »
They're getting cheaper.  $19.99 for a new, open-box keyboard. https://www.ebay.com/itm/113283292957

20% off the second if you buy two.  I made an offer and got a couple even cheaper.

I'm really looking forward to trying out the spillproof mod!

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 25 October 2018, 11:34:00 »
And there's a 10% off ebay coupon today too:
Pay for your item by 8:00 AM Eastern Time on October 26, 2018
Enter the Coupon code in the redemption code field: PICKUPTEN