Author Topic: WTB Matias Tactile Pro keyboard controller or discarded Matias Tactile Pro  (Read 1102 times)

Offline buckyballs

• Trade Count: (0)
Hi, this is a long shot attempt at doing my own keyboard repair.

My friend cleaned his Matias Tactile Pro with soap solution, and it can't work anymore. Passed me his kb. I tried soaking the PCB and keyboard controller in alcohol, then scrubbing with toothbrush. When connecting to computer, it can kinda detect, and occasionally can type a few letters, then the connection is broken again. So there is a 'detecting, then disconnected sound' cycle going on when I connect to Windows.

I think it might just be the kb controller being messed up by soap, since the PCB basically looks all ok. Whole kb is very nice and clean. According to friend, not a single key was dead prior to the kb dying.

So I would like to buy a kb controller off anyone who doesn't want his Matias board anymore because of their crappy repeating key problem. Maybe I can revive the board!

Offline snot

A guy on Deskthority is selling some Quiet Pros for quite cheap as they have defective switches. If your fixing a Mac Matias keyboard you could probably harvest a board from one of those.

https://deskthority.net/for-sale-f55/up-to-four-matias-quiet-pro-mac-with-defective-switches-t18802.html
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 April 2018, 00:21:24 by snot »

Offline p_blaze

I'd try reflowing it first if you can; the cleaning might have loosened up solder joints.

Offline buckyballs

Thanks a lot for suggesting. But I don't have the technical ability or the tools to do reflow solder. Do you think if I took out the controller and messed with every single solder joint, it might work? It would probably take a very long time to do each solder joint again.

Offline p_blaze

Thanks a lot for suggesting. But I don't have the technical ability or the tools to do reflow solder. Do you think if I took out the controller and messed with every single solder joint, it might work? It would probably take a very long time to do each solder joint again.

Maybe, but in that case I'd use a magnifying glass or something to check the solder joint before trying anything.