Author Topic: Any other keyboards like the V4N4GON?  (Read 3526 times)

Offline flow3rz

Any other keyboards like the V4N4GON?
« on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 14:53:33 »
Stumbled upon the V4N4GON recently and love the layout. I've always loved 40% keyboards but I mostly game so I have never bit the bullet to make one. The V4N4GON's layout however would be great for my situation. Just wondering if there are any more keyboards with a similar layout since purchasing one is most likely not possible as of now. Any help would be appreciated. I've included a pic of the layout for reference.

Offline Maledicted

Re: Any other keyboards like the V4N4GON?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 16:08:03 »
I don't look into the fancy GB stuff much, so I wouldn't know myself. You're looking at a footprint only slightly smaller than a 60% with dedicated arrow keys, like a DZ60, just with a lot less keys. Is the difference in size that important?

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 18:41:27 »
The truncated numrow looks cool, but it cripples actual gaming usability while not saving any meaningful amount of space.

If I can't type "lit 99 mid" or "~harder daddy" (or open the console with tilde) without switching layers how can I be an elite gamer?

That said, despite its impracticallity, it does look cool. The loss of half the numbers is taken care of with layers, but again, you're including only half the numbers despite being the same size as a board with a full number row, so you're just suffering to look cool.

Offline IronCheeks

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 19:05:02 »
Production wise, I do not think there are many 40% keyboards out there, let alone have the unique setup like the V4N4GON. The guy behind the V4N4GON does have an upcoming 40/60% hybrid that he looks to do a small GB in September
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/gkb4nt/the_garbage_truck/

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 19:51:49 »
Production wise, I do not think there are many 40% keyboards out there, let alone have the unique setup like the V4N4GON. The guy behind the V4N4GON does have an upcoming 40/60% hybrid that he looks to do a small GB in September
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/gkb4nt/the_garbage_truck/

Nice. That one almost tempts even me. I'm a sucker for rotary encoders.

Offline IronCheeks

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 22:03:21 »

It's an aesthetically pleasing form factor and literally takes all the things I want in a keyboard. TheTrashMan makes some pretty interesting 40% keebs. I hope I can score one once the GB is announced.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 22 May 2020, 15:28:08 »

It's an aesthetically pleasing form factor and literally takes all the things I want in a keyboard. TheTrashMan makes some pretty interesting 40% keebs. I hope I can score one once the GB is announced.

My only major problem with it is that I don't use a number pad, at all. I'm one of the few weirdos who prefer using the alphanumeric block entirely for numbers.

Offline IronCheeks

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 23 May 2020, 13:02:56 »
My only major problem with it is that I don't use a number pad, at all. I'm one of the few weirdos who prefer using the alphanumeric block entirely for numbers.

Macropads sure are pretty cool to work with. One day I will get one.