Author Topic: Copper/Wood QFR project.  (Read 11454 times)

Offline themitch22

Copper/Wood QFR project.
« on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 13:29:18 »

I did a few layers of base coat Krylon white paint+primer after sanding it down as well as I could to get the logos and rubber coating off. Then I used Krylon Hammered Copper for the case.

The keys are sanded and going to get a base coat soon, I'm going to use another metalic color on them.

I'm looking into different types of wood veneer like mohagany to laminate on the top of the keycaps so I get a nice texture and feel to the keys for a classic look. I'm not going for steam punk, I'm going more for something comfortable and stands out.

I bought and testing a Handheld Scientific bluetooth adapter but that didn't work with the QFR unfortunately. Now, I plan on wiring a custom Teensy controller for bluetooth so I can use it with my tablet and laptop wirelessly.

This is my first keyboard mod and I'm excited how it will turn out.

Offline franklima260

Re: Copper/Wood QFR project.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 21:34:26 »
Great keyboard Mitch how is it coming :)
|                                      |                   
|Cooler Master QuickFire TK (CMTK) Blue | Adesso Compact Mechanical Keyboard (ACMK)

Offline HotKillerZzz

• Ammesia
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 22:06:21 »
Show Image

I did a few layers of base coat Krylon white paint+primer after sanding it down as well as I could to get the logos and rubber coating off. Then I used Krylon Hammered Copper for the case.

The keys are sanded and going to get a base coat soon, I'm going to use another metalic color on them.

I'm looking into different types of wood veneer like mohagany to laminate on the top of the keycaps so I get a nice texture and feel to the keys for a classic look. I'm not going for steam punk, I'm going more for something comfortable and stands out.

I bought and testing a Handheld Scientific bluetooth adapter but that didn't work with the QFR unfortunately. Now, I plan on wiring a custom Teensy controller for bluetooth so I can use it with my tablet and laptop wirelessly.

So you are going to sand your keycaps and paint them?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 02:47:53 »
Show Image

So you are going to sand your keycaps and paint them?

That's kinda what OP said :p

A month later - any progress?

I think this is going to turn out just a little bit steampunky ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline themitch22

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 16:34:41 »
Yes, progress and failure.

It turned out looking great, problem is the paint wore really quickly from my fingers and throwing it in a bag. I abandoned the whole painting the key thing, the clear coat started sticking to my fingers, I'm guessing I should have sanded more between every coating.

Here's the album of how it turned out:
http://imgur.com/a/KUMzl

I ordered some blank white PBT keycaps and just going to go with standard blank keycaps and a painted case.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 20:20:02 »
You're right - that does look more woody than steampunky - looks good :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline cbot

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 21:30:48 »
Very glittery. I love it!

Offline barkinos98

• Illinois
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 15:56:16 »
Love it man, I'm going to soon buy a QFR and make a nice champagne gold colored one off thing  :thumb:
Happy Hacking Professional 2  | Logitech G710+ | Quickfire Rapid MX Clears

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 17:03:11 »
Love it man, I'm going to soon buy a QFR and make a nice champagne gold colored one off thing  :thumb:

Until someone copies it ;)

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 17:08:17 »
I've used that hammered copper spraypaint on a NERF gun mod I did for a friend. Turned out awesome, too.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.