Author Topic: Mapping the 75Key Massdrop keyboard Config.h  (Read 3645 times)

Offline xaceofspaidsx

Mapping the 75Key Massdrop keyboard Config.h
« on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 15:50:09 »
Hello,

I was told to come here to get help working on getting the config.h mapped for the new xd75 clone from Massdrop. Massdrop along with the organizer Xik have not responded to any questions nor (from what i understand) support tickets on this board. The board looks like an XD75 from KBP, however when you flash the default XD75 firmware, no keys work. I have gotten the map below figured out using the default Atomic firmware, obviously the keys are not in the correct places, but this is at least giving some insight on what pins are being used. Laying this out this way was an idea of @rumlyne and it makes sense to me, but idk this might not actually be helpful.

The point of the post is to get some help on how to get this figured out, since it seems the maker/organizer isn't going to give us the default firmware or point us in the right direction, i think that we have the means to figure this out. I'm having a hard time finding guides on how to do this from scratch, and since the chip is soldered directly to the board i don't think there's away for me to figure out the pins just by looking at it. So here's what i have after flashing the Atomic Default firmware in qmk

/* Default Atomic QWERTY - MIT ENHANCED / GRID COMPATIBLE
   * .---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 2u ------------.
   * | `      | 1      | 2      | 3      | 4      | 5      | 6      | 7      | 8      | 9      | 0      | -      | =      | XXXXXX . BACKSP |
   * |--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+-----------------|
   * | TAB    | Q      | W      | E      | R      | T      | Y      | U      | I      | O      | P      | [      | ]      | \      | DEL    |
   * |--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+- 2u ------------+--------|
   * | ESC    | A      | S      | D      | F      | G      | H      | J      | K      | L      | ;      | '      | XXXXXX . ENTER  | PG UP  |
   * |--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+- 2u ---------------------+--------|
   * | LSHIFT | Z      | X      | C      | V      | B      | N      | M      | ,      | .      | /      | XXXXXX . RSHIFT | UP     | PG DN  |
   * |--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+- 2u ------------+--------+--------+--------+--------+-----------------+--------+--------|
   * | BRITE  | LCTRL  | LALT   | LGUI   | RAISE  | XXXXXX . SPACE  | LOWER  | RGUI   | RALT   | RCTRL  | FN     | LEFT   | DOWN   | RIGHT  |
   * '--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------'
Layout on the 75key
/*     F1       F0       B0       C7       F4       F5       F6       F7       D4       D6       B4       D7       D3       D2       D1
 * .--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
 D0|        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |
 * |--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+-----------------|
 D5|        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |
 * |--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+-----------------+--------|
 B5|        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |
 * |--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------------------------+--------|
 B6| F12    | F11    | ALT    |        |        |        |  SHIFT | UP     | PG DN  |        | ,      | .      |  SHIFT | /      |        |
 * |--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+-----------------+--------+--------+--------+--------+-----------------+--------+--------|
 C6| SPACE  | SPACE  |        |        |        |        |  LEFT  | DOWN   | RIGHT  | CTRL   | RGUI   | ALT    |        |        |        |
 * '--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------'
 */
   */

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this, any pointers on the process would be appreciated. I'm thinking the next steps are going to be changing the pins out in the row/col that aren't working at all.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
Re: Mapping the 75Key Massdrop keyboard Config.h
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 15:55:55 »
Hello,

I was told to come here to get help working on getting the config.h mapped for the new xd75 clone from Massdrop. Massdrop along with the organizer Xik have not responded to any questions nor (from what i understand) support tickets on this board. The board looks like an XD75 from KBP, however when you flash the default XD75 firmware, no keys work. I have gotten the map below figured out using the default Atomic firmware, obviously the keys are not in the correct places, but this is at least giving some insight on what pins are being used. Laying this out this way was an idea of @rumlyne and it makes sense to me, but idk this might not actually be helpful.

The point of the post is to get some help on how to get this figured out, since it seems the maker/organizer isn't going to give us the default firmware or point us in the right direction, i think that we have the means to figure this out. I'm having a hard time finding guides on how to do this from scratch, and since the chip is soldered directly to the board i don't think there's away for me to figure out the pins just by looking at it. So here's what i have after flashing the Atomic Default firmware in qmk

* .---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 2u ------------.
   * | `      | 1      | 2      | 3      | 4      | 5      | 6      | 7      | 8      | 9      | 0      | -      | =      | XXXXXX . BACKSP |
   * | TAB    | Q      | W      | E      | R      | T      | Y      | U      | I      | O      | P      | [      | ]      | \      | DEL    |
   * |--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+- 2u ------------+--------|
   * | ESC    | A      | S      | D      | F      | G      | H      | J      | K      | L      | ;      | '      | XXXXXX . ENTER  | PG UP  |
   * |--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+- 2u ---------------------+--------|
   * | LSHIFT | Z      | X      | C      | V      | B      | N      | M      | ,      | .      | /      | XXXXXX . RSHIFT | UP     | PG DN  |
   * |--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+- 2u ------------+--------+--------+--------+--------+-----------------+--------+--------|
   * | BRITE  | LCTRL  | LALT   | LGUI   | RAISE  | XXXXXX . SPACE  | LOWER  | RGUI   | RALT   | RCTRL  | FN     | LEFT   | DOWN   | RIGHT  |
Layout on the 75key
/*     F1       F0       B0       C7       F4       F5       F6       F7       D4       D6       B4       D7       D3       D2       D1
 * .--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
 D0|        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |
 D5|        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |
 * |--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+-----------------+--------|
 B5|        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |
 * |--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------------------------+--------|
 B6| F12    | F11    | ALT    |        |        |        |  SHIFT | UP     | PG DN  |        | ,      | .      |  SHIFT | /      |        |
 * |--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+-----------------+--------+--------+--------+--------+-----------------+--------+--------|
 C6| SPACE  | SPACE  |        |        |        |        |  LEFT  | DOWN   | RIGHT  | CTRL   | RGUI   | ALT    |        |        |        |
 */
   */

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this, any pointers on the process would be appreciated. I'm thinking the next steps are going to be changing the pins out in the row/col that aren't working at all.

I would recommend using KLE to create a JSON file of what your board looks like physically, then take that JSON file and upload it onto kbfirmware.com After that, click on the "wiring" tab and use your multimeter and figure out how the wires are connected and to what pins.

Offline xaceofspaidsx

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 17:04:46 »
I would recommend using KLE to create a JSON file of what your board looks like physically, then take that JSON file and upload it onto kbfirmware.com After that, click on the "wiring" tab and use your multimeter and figure out how the wires are connected and to what pins.

So since this is a 5x15 ortholinear board, i would just make that grid, but blank? or should create the json using my desired keymap? This feels like a dumb question haha, I'm new to all of this stuff, I soldered a contra but that had straightforward instructions, so doing the more manual stuff like this much more new to me. I guess what i'm asking is, do i just need the blank grid, then map which pin goes to which row? With the multimeter would i hold one side on the first switch connector and then go through the pins on the little chip? I feel like i'm gonna have a hard time only hitting one of those at a time, haha.

Thanks for the quick response!

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 17:10:00 »
Just make a 5x15 layout, doesn't matter what is in it. kbfirmware will generate them blank no matter whats in it. You're not making a keymap, you're making the layout and switch matrix at this point.

Offline xaceofspaidsx

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 18:15:17 »
Just make a 5x15 layout, doesn't matter what is in it. kbfirmware will generate them blank no matter whats in it. You're not making a keymap, you're making the layout and switch matrix at this point.

Ok that makes sense, couple things i'm not sure on though. The bottom of the PCB does not have pins to touch with the multimeter, all that's there is the chip and all the tracks going out from it. I could possibly touch the pins on the chip (I say possibly because they are tiny and very close together) but i'm not sure which one would be which on the chip itself, since i don't have the promicro style pins... Here's a pic of the bottom of the board for reference. https://imgur.com/zy2AnRt

I can tell the matrix is pretty straight forward by the tracks on the pcb, i just don't know which pins are which and how to reference them in kbfirmware.com

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 18:17:22 »
did you get to clicking on the "wiring" tab. That should give you a diagram of what your keyboard looks like physically.

Just figure out what columns and what rows the switches are on, use the kbfirmware wiring tool.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 18:46:42 »
If you can post a high res photo of the PCB, I can probably get some QMK Firmware working for it.

Offline xaceofspaidsx

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 19:28:35 »
ok i see what you mean now, i was looking at the bottom of the pcb which i could only make out the column tracks, i have pulled the plate and switches off the top of the pcb and now see the row tracks, so i am going to do the wiring diagram in kbfirmware now.

I will try to take some good photos of the pcb, however the one i have is coated white so it's a bit harder to see the tracks, i'm not sure i can get the camera to pick it up.

I'll post both once i have the wiring figured out.

Thanks for all your help!

Offline xaceofspaidsx

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 19:52:29 »
did you get to clicking on the "wiring" tab. That should give you a diagram of what your keyboard looks like physically.

Just figure out what columns and what rows the switches are on, use the kbfirmware wiring tool.

So since its a straight up grid, i'm pretty sure the wiring is just straight across for the rows and straight up and down for the columns, i think that was confusing me since i thought it would be harder to figure out. I did a screen shot of that and put that in an album with the photos of the pcb, you'll have to zoom to see the track but i'm pretty sure it is visible.
https://imgur.com/a/INTixqV

If you could figure out the pins in qmk that would be awesome.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 21:16:53 »
You have the board in front of you and a multimeter right? Can you figure out which columns and pins there are?

Offline xaceofspaidsx

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 06 November 2018, 21:39:24 »
I can probably work on it tomorrow, i don't have a multi meter, but i can get one tomorrow and see if i can figure it out.

Thanks for all your help.

Offline rumlyne

• ortho, ergo, ertho?!
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 07 November 2018, 02:53:59 »
More
Hello,

Layout on the 75key
 */
   */

Hi Ace!

From what you posted I (think I) was able to narrow it down a bit although F11, F12 & Alt in the bottom left corner confuse me very much. Looks like you toggled the raise layer somewhere

Code: [Select]
 *         F1       F0       B0       C7       F4       F5       F6       F7       D4       D6       B4       D7       D3       D2       D1
 *     .---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 2u ------------.
 * D0  | `      | 1      | 2      | 3      | 4      | 5      | 6      | 7      | 8      | 9      | 0      | -      | =      | XXXXXX . BACKSP |
 *     |--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+-----------------|
 * D5  | TAB    | Q      | W      | E      | R      | T      | Y      | U      | I      | O      | P      | [      | ]      | \      | DEL    |
 *     |--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+- 2u ------------+--------|
 * B5  | ESC    | A      | S      | D      | F      | G      | H      | J      | K      | L      | ;      | '      | XXXXXX . ENTER  | PG UP  |
 *     |--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+- 2u ---------------------+--------|
 * B6  | LSHIFT | Z      | X      | C      | V      | B      | N      | M      | ,      | .      | /      | XXXXXX . RSHIFT | UP     | PG DN  |
 *     |--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+- 2u ------------+--------+--------+--------+--------+-----------------+--------+--------|
 * C6  | BRITE  | LCTRL  | LALT   | LGUI   | RAISE  | XXXXXX . SPACE  | LOWER  | RGUI   | RALT   | RCTRL  | FN     | LEFT   | DOWN   | RIGHT  |
 *    '--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------'

/* MATRRIX on the 75key
 *          F5      F6      ??       ??       ??       ??       D3       D2       D1       ??       D4       D6       F1       B4       ??
 *     .--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
 * ??  |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |
 *     |--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+-----------------|
 * ??  |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |        |
 *     |--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+-----------------+--------|
 *     |--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------------------------+--------|
 * B6  | F12    | F11    | ALT    |        |        |        |  SHIFT | UP     | PG DN  |        | ,      | .      |  SHIFT | /      |        |
 *     |--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+-----------------+--------+--------+--------+--------+-----------------+--------+--------|
 * C6  | SPACE  | SPACE  |        |        |        |        |  LEFT  | DOWN   | RIGHT  | CTRL   | RGUI   | ALT    |        |        |        |
 *     '--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------'
 */

@merlin64 How do you know what pins on the Atmega are which pin in QMK?
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 November 2018, 03:29:04 by rumlyne »

Insert Signature without plastics

Offline xaceofspaidsx

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 07 November 2018, 08:48:49 »

Hi Ace!

From what you posted I (think I) was able to narrow it down a bit although F11, F12 & Alt in the bottom left corner confuse me very much. Looks like you toggled the raise layer somewhere

@merlin64 How do you know what pins on the Atmega are which pin in QMK?

What's weird is those are the first keys i typed on, so it would have flashed with that layer set. i was thinking about clearing all the other layers on the keymap and flashing again so i just have the base layer but then merlin and i went more towards physically figuring out the pins instead of programmatically, so i didn't try that. The weird thing was i changed the order of the columns since the center of the map seems to be the right side of the board, but then everything changed, and the right side of the board still didn't work. so something else is up with that.

Offline rumlyne

• ortho, ergo, ertho?!
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 07 November 2018, 23:17:30 »
A helpful guy over on keebtalk knew where to find the drawing we're looking for. On it the pinnames are the same as in QMK except thatthere's a P in front of them so PD1 = D1 and so forth. Now it's up to you and your multimeter ;) Don't forget the backlight and underglow pins!

Offline rumlyne

• ortho, ergo, ertho?!

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 09 November 2018, 14:04:34 »
I'm adding this into QMK master right now, thank you very much for posting this!

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 09 November 2018, 18:05:54 »

Offline xaceofspaidsx

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 10 November 2018, 20:37:55 »
QMK Configurator is up!

https://config.qmk.fm/#/idobo/LAYOUT_ortho_5x15
Thanks so much for getting this added to master in github too, I'll be editing my layout and getting the xd75 based one put up there. since its pretty much a copy of the default layout from the xd75 folder, how should i do  the comments? just say exactly that? lol

Offline AwSmCreator

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 09:36:20 »
Hello there,

I was a victim purchaser of this board as well and firstly wanted to say thank you for all the help here already in getting this working. However, I am still having some problems and I'm 90% sure it's just my fault. (I hope this is the best place to post this too. I'm terribly sorry if it's not)

So I went to http://qmkeyboard.cn/ and used the Ibodo preset and then I tried to map the keys to my liking. Only thing I really did was give every key a use and then make a single function layer for arrows and F1-F12.

I compiled and downloaded the .hex

Opened up QMK Toolbox

Selected the file
Selected 32u4
Connected board and hit the little button on the bottom
Flash

Then QMK Toolbox tells me that the file is too large.

I tried deleting the entire function layer but that only knocked off a few kb. The file is 70kb.
Did I mess something up?

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 16:43:51 »
Hello there,

I was a victim purchaser of this board as well and firstly wanted to say thank you for all the help here already in getting this working. However, I am still having some problems and I'm 90% sure it's just my fault. (I hope this is the best place to post this too. I'm terribly sorry if it's not)

So I went to http://qmkeyboard.cn/ and used the Ibodo preset and then I tried to map the keys to my liking. Only thing I really did was give every key a use and then make a single function layer for arrows and F1-F12.

Opened up QMK Toolbox

Selected the file
Selected 32u4
Flash

I tried deleting the entire function layer but that only knocked off a few kb. The file is 70kb.
Did I mess something up?

qmkeyboard might be using the latest avr-gcc compiler...which is currently broken. I would suggest using QMK Configurator over that.

Offline AwSmCreator

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 15 November 2018, 06:45:09 »
Hello there,

Opened up QMK Toolbox

Selected the file
Selected 32u4
Flash

Did I mess something up?

qmkeyboard might be using the latest avr-gcc compiler...which is currently broken. I would suggest using QMK Configurator over that.

You're a legend. Thank you so much for the help. Turns out I was just stupid. When I got QMK Configurator up and running I did all the things and it didn't work. (same error). Then I found a post you made on Reddit with a guide and it turns out I needed to install some dependencies to make Toolbox work on Mac. After I did that everything works like a charm. So again, thank you so so so much. I hope you have a great day!