Author Topic: [IC] GMK White-on-Black Katakana | Supporting BLM | January 14th, 2021  (Read 48743 times)

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
Re: [IC] GMK White-on-Black Katakana | Supporting the BLM Initiative | Drop 2021
« Reply #100 on: Sat, 12 December 2020, 01:55:24 »
Base Kit updated for the first time! A bunch of things were changed, take a look! The IC form has also been reset for new comments, so please leave one if you want to say or suggest something: https://forms.gle/ZMM2PhAaEbFcDkH28

Removing the squared Esc icon in favor of a white accent is a welcome change.

Nevertheless, please consider some of the follow suggestions:

• Re-add the second R4 1u — These are needed to populate a true HHKB/Tsangan bottom row.
  • Re-center the R3 — IMHO this looks very odd raised.
  • Re-add the R4 1u and remove the is usually used as an icon for Fn/Menu, this would make it coherent with the other 1.25 you used.
  • Consider using R4 1.5u ♢⌘ instead of — IMHO this makes the 1.5u keys look less "empty"; molds for these were made for GMK Burgundy.
Thanks for the suggestions! The R3 ^ is actually supposed to be centered, I'll fix that. I'll take the other suggestions into account as well, but I won't be doing the last one because it doesn't fit well in the set.

The updated base kit looks really good, so GJ Pachriksu for listening to feedback.

I agree with suggestions #1–3 from the quoted post (and highly disagree with #4). However, as far as #3 goes, I would keep both and in the kit since having a generic R4 1u key is useful for a variety layouts (60%, 65%, 40% ortho — which, by the way, is currently supported). If there is one key that I would consider removing, it's the 1u , since it's only really useful for 60% w/ arrows (GK64) and 40% ortho. But it's okay if that stays as well, although I wouldn't prioritize it (e.g. the second is a lot more important than 1u ).

As far as the goes, one thing I would consider doing is replacing it with a >_ icon (examples: 1 2 3). I think this icon would fit in better with the remaining icons, seeing as all of them are outlined and is the only one that's filled.

If you want, you can use ÷, × instead of /, * on the numpad; some people prefer those legends for aesthetics. I think that they would work well with this numpad because they're a bit more visually balanced than /, *.

One final thing to consider is including the following keys for minimal staggered 40% support:
  • R2 1.75u
  • R3 1.25u
  • R3 1.5u
This would allow the base kit to cover the majority of popular 40s boards out there (standard 12u, standard 13u, Van derivatives etc.), which is why the 40% community has recently started recommending including these 3 keys in base as a good alternative for sets that don't want to run a dedicated 40% kit.
Together with the already existing ortho support, adding these keys would indeed mean that the set would have physical support for all of the most popular 40% boards overall.

Edit: correction
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 December 2020, 02:12:41 by konstantin »

Offline Pach

Re: [IC] GMK White-on-Black Katakana | Supporting the BLM Initiative | Drop 2021
« Reply #101 on: Sat, 12 December 2020, 09:28:21 »
I only want to say that this set being wob could have correct Japanese Katakana locations and the 20 other legends it would take to make a correct JIS set. Easily.

I’ve been a bit busy recently so I haven’t been following this properly, and I still haven’t had a chance to sit down and analyse this set fully, so apologies if I’m missing something obvious. But as far as I can tell, this set contains the R1 ー、R3 ム、and R4 ロ required for correct Japanese Katakana locations. Are there any I’ve missed?

Apart from katakana key placement, what are the 20 other legends needed to make a correct JIS set? Obviously the JIS-only “modifier” keys like 半角/全角、無変換、変換、ひらがな/カタカナ、 and the Mac-specific 英数/かな keys would all be nice, as well as a 4.5U space bar. Are these the keys you meant? That’s only 6 legends, and I happen to know of a certain other set that will be supplying these in a white-on-black colourway (not that I wouldn’t be thrilled to see them included here as well, of course!)

I feel like I must be missing something, because I can’t see anything wrong with this set from a JIS point of view, other than the missing mods. It is late and I’m sleepy, though, so maybe I’ve overlooked something obvious.

No, your right. It seems to have the extra keys needed to make JIS. It's too bad that this doesn't have the alphas as well considering it's going on Drop.

Do you mean sublegend alphas? That is very much a consideration in the future runs as a child kit on Drop, but for now monolegends are a good place to start.

Base Kit updated for the first time! A bunch of things were changed, take a look! The IC form has also been reset for new comments, so please leave one if you want to say or suggest something: https://forms.gle/ZMM2PhAaEbFcDkH28

Removing the squared Esc icon in favor of a white accent is a welcome change.

Nevertheless, please consider some of the follow suggestions:

• Re-add the second R4 1u — These are needed to populate a true HHKB/Tsangan bottom row.
  • Re-center the R3 — IMHO this looks very odd raised.
  • Re-add the R4 1u and remove the is usually used as an icon for Fn/Menu, this would make it coherent with the other 1.25 you used.
  • Consider using R4 1.5u ♢⌘ instead of — IMHO this makes the 1.5u keys look less "empty"; molds for these were made for GMK Burgundy.
Thanks for the suggestions! The R3 ^ is actually supposed to be centered, I'll fix that. I'll take the other suggestions into account as well, but I won't be doing the last one because it doesn't fit well in the set.

The updated base kit looks really good, so GJ Pachriksu for listening to feedback.

I agree with suggestions #1–3 from the quoted post (and highly disagree with #4). However, as far as #3 goes, I would keep both and in the kit since having a generic R4 1u key is useful for a variety layouts (60%, 65%, 40% ortho — which, by the way, is currently supported). If there is one key that I would consider removing, it's the 1u , since it's only really useful for 60% w/ arrows (GK64) and 40% ortho. But it's okay if that stays as well, although I wouldn't prioritize it (e.g. the second is a lot more important than 1u ).

As far as the goes, one thing I would consider doing is replacing it with a >_ icon (examples: 1 2 3). I think this icon would fit in better with the remaining icons, seeing as all of them are outlined and is the only one that's filled.

If you want, you can use ÷, × instead of /, * on the numpad; some people prefer those legends for aesthetics. I think that they would work well with this numpad because they're a bit more visually balanced than /, *.

One final thing to consider is including the following keys for minimal staggered 40% support:
  • R2 1.75u
  • R3 1.25u
  • R3 1.5u
This would allow the base kit to cover the majority of popular 40s boards out there (standard 12u, standard 13u, Van derivatives etc.), which is why the 40% community has recently started recommending including these 3 keys in base as a good alternative for sets that don't want to run a dedicated 40% kit.
Together with the already existing ortho support, adding these keys would indeed mean that the set would have physical support for all of the most popular 40% boards overall.

Edit: correction

Thank you! I'm taking all of these new suggestions into account. :D

Offline afrodykey

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
Jesus the level of drama on this forum lately is just ridiculous.

The man decides to do something nice and put profits to charity for a month, and he gets crucified for the set not having to do anything with the cause? and it not being enough..?

It's money being given to charity out of something that came from his work/effort. No one is required to do that, but he decided to. It's quite admirable, I know very few people that would do that, and it's just plain sad to see someone get **** for it.

You guys seriously need to chill.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Outside of that, I love that this is being made. Simple, clean, and hella elegant. It kind of helps fill the gap in which GMK Masterpiece and Modern/Simple JA reside. Will certainly cop a set when it drops!
A small minority of people on Geekhack feed off of starting and fueling drama. It's a sad state of this forum these days.

Offline Pach

Re: [IC] GMK White-on-Black Katakana | Supporting the BLM Initiative | Kit Updates
« Reply #104 on: Mon, 21 December 2020, 10:05:49 »
New base kit revision up!

Unfortunately, I decided to remove a few keys used for aesthetic alternatives in order to provide a bit more compatibility and lower costs. Currently, the base kit is at 157 keys, 17 more keys than GMK WoB for comparison. It was a bit hard to see some keys go, but I believe this will benefit more. Makes some room for the added minimum 40s support :)

I swapped out the numpad icons for icons that fit better. Personally, I did not like the purse icon, so I tried out a different style. It seems to fit pretty well.

I decided to experiment with the OG non-flipped alt icons; tell me if you like 'em or hate 'em in the new IC form. I think it's nice to break normality a little in a GMK set, they already have the mold, and it also looks pretty good, so why not try it? :D

Offline noorejji

Why not a spacebar kit? Could move the minibars there + some of the other usual suspects and a 6u; oh and a couple of 3u's which seem to be on the rise. Maybe a bit late for that now, but I think it could be neat for anyone looking for black spacebars.
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 January 2021, 02:28:14 by noorejji »

Offline Pach

Why not a spacebar kit? Could move the minibars there + some of the other usual suspects and a 6u; oh and a couple of 3u's which seem to be on the rise. Maybe a bit late for that now, but I think it could be neat for anyone looking for black spacebars.
Having only 1 kit will make things much easier when having an ongoing pre-order. I might consider splitting kits in the future, if that ever allows.

Offline Pach

Re: [IC] GMK White-on-Black Katakana | Supporting BLM| January 14th, 2021
« Reply #107 on: Mon, 11 January 2021, 19:06:02 »
New Update Posted!
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 January 2021, 10:03:56 by Pachriksu »