Author Topic: Keyboard Reccomendations?  (Read 3282 times)

Offline booyahwarrior_

Keyboard Reccomendations?
« on: Thu, 20 September 2018, 18:21:14 »
I was wondering what some good keyboards for me would be. I want something that is good for typing. I am currently using a Corsair K70 Rapidfire, which is great and all, but I do feel like I made a mistake buying it instead of something better and cheaper. I am not a big fan of Cherry MX Browns unfortunately. 60% would be ideal for the keyboard. What would you guys recommend for me?

Thank You ;D

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
Re: Keyboard Reccomendations?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 20 September 2018, 18:28:05 »
Cheaper is rarely better.
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 20 September 2018, 18:59:56 »
HHKB

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 20 September 2018, 20:03:08 »
I was wondering what some good keyboards for me would be. I want something that is good for typing. I am currently using a Corsair K70 Rapidfire, which is great and all, but I do feel like I made a mistake buying it instead of something better and cheaper. I am not a big fan of Cherry MX Browns unfortunately. 60% would be ideal for the keyboard. What would you guys recommend for me?

Thank You ;D
The switch is one of the most important part of buying a mechanical keyboard, do you want more tactile or less, do you want stiffer springs or less, do you want clicky or quiet? Budget?
While not perfect the simplest answer is a Poker with whatever switch you want but a better answer needs more info.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline abrahamstechnology

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 20 September 2018, 20:06:59 »
Matias clicky switches. Although if they aren't in a Dell AT101 chassis you're missing out. Also I cannot find any affordable parts for 60% ALPS boards.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 20 September 2018, 20:17:31 »
Dell AT101W with Matias Quiet Clicks and Tai Hao Dolch caps (but not the CapsLock and space bar). This is my go-to utility PS/2 keyboard in the regular rotation.

Very high in the Alps realm.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline abrahamstechnology

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 20 September 2018, 21:02:14 »
Dell AT101W with Matias Quiet Clicks and Tai Hao Dolch caps (but not the CapsLock and space bar). This is my go-to utility PS/2 keyboard in the regular rotation.

The Matias stabilizer kit has a wire that works with the Tai-Hao spacebar. Tai-Hao also sells a black Alps capslock compatible with the AT101.

Offline Auslander

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 20 September 2018, 23:45:37 »
HHKB
HHKB JP | Realforce 104UB-DK | HHKB Pro 2

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 21 September 2018, 03:40:54 »
Copied and pasted from an "old" post of mine with some updates.

I will always recommend the TADA68 to newcomers:

1. "Novelty" 65% layout but still retains the "normal" keys like arrows and home/end.
2. Nice white backlighting, configurable but not too RGB-garish.
3. Usually comes with Gateron switches, for which I recommend the Gateron Brown, as they are much smoother than Cherry Brown and also makes the board less costly.
4. Cheaper. One can get a TADA68 from KBDFans via fast shipping for $100 or below.
5. Various case options: Plastic or Aluminum, high or low-profile. The new Tofu 65% is just great.
6. Good resale value, as other buyers may rather buy directly than importing from China.
7. Great key programming software that works on all platforms and can let you do a lot more than you expect. Also supports QMK.
8. If you want to start off extra strong, you can always order a pre-assembled one from KBDFans with Zealio switches for a bit higher price.

Offline supermario802.1

• tinkerBOY
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 22 September 2018, 05:37:22 »
I love my old IBM Model M keyboards and it's a joy to type on but for everyday use i choose my Apple Extended Keyboard.

Offline mounds

• Builder of things and stuff
    • The Mounds Abides
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 22 September 2018, 22:59:18 »
Copied and pasted from an "old" post of mine with some updates.

I will always recommend the TADA68 to newcomers:

1. "Novelty" 65% layout but still retains the "normal" keys like arrows and home/end.
2. Nice white backlighting, configurable but not too RGB-garish.
3. Usually comes with Gateron switches, for which I recommend the Gateron Brown, as they are much smoother than Cherry Brown and also makes the board less costly.
4. Cheaper. One can get a TADA68 from KBDFans via fast shipping for $100 or below.
5. Various case options: Plastic or Aluminum, high or low-profile. The new Tofu 65% is just great.
6. Good resale value, as other buyers may rather buy directly than importing from China.
7. Great key programming software that works on all platforms and can let you do a lot more than you expect. Also supports QMK.
8. If you want to start off extra strong, you can always order a pre-assembled one from KBDFans with Zealio switches for a bit higher price.

What he said - the Tada68 is a great starter board. I bought one, used it for a short bit, used it as a desoldering project, then passed it on to a friend when I moved on. Liked it so much later on, I bought it again when it became a 'kit' and was able to make it hot-swappable.

iKBC / Vortex also makes great products for most.
Tada68 (Jailhouse Aristotles) / MiniVan (Jailhouse Aristotles) / Planck (Aristotles) / Teensy m0116 (Matias QC) / ALPS64 ('Pine' SKCM White) / Teensy NeXT Non-ADB (SKCM Cream) / ALPS HHKB (SKCM Orange)

Offline nevin

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 09:16:16 »
it's a lot of personal preference & trying different stuff. is there a keyboard group in your area or a member with a ton of stuff that's local that you can make friends with & check out their gear?

for me... i love my 60% (pure), but can't stand the 65-ish% form factor. next favorite form factor would be something similar to the apple M0110 or A9M0330 (IIgs board, 1st ADB keyboard) which is just alpha & numpad & ALPS. Most recently, i've built a split ortholinear board and i'm really liking it.

once you have a idea of what you'd like, see what other info/reviews you can find of it. Thomas does a ton of reviews on all kinds of boards & switches.  https://www.youtube.com/user/Chyrosran22/featured

all in all, it's really a journey and your preferences may change the longer you spend in this hobby.

good luck on the hunt.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline nevin

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 28 September 2018, 09:19:44 »

wow. best looking AT101 i've seen. nice job.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 01 October 2018, 09:50:18 »
If you can spare the money I always recommend Topre. Either Realforce (fullsize 104 or tenkeyless 87). If you want to go even smaller PFU HHKB Pro 2, I love it. Im not the first here to recommend that tho.

Best board I've ever typed on was a IBM Model F. If you like vintage boards consider one, tho you will have to use a adapter and perhaps even new controller to make it work. Otherwise Model M is rock solid as well.