Author Topic: [IC] F62+F77! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards  (Read 375167 times)

Offline Atredl

Re: [IC] F62+F77 orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards
« Reply #1400 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 03:58:40 »
Will the XT style caps be offered in black with black legends? I know it's a slippery slope to start including more colors than the original but I just wanted to know so I can can plan what color case I get.

My idea was to get this in black to create an all black  trio (F62, HHKB, NerD 60). If it's in the realm of possibility then I would love you forever.

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
« Reply #1401 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 06:51:58 »
Check out the mechanical keyboard/gaming article in Vice today!  Nicholas interviewed me.  Just a paragraph or two mentions the Model F project as the article focuses on mechanical keyboards and gaming.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/mechanical-keyboards-esports-logitech-steelseries

Black keys on black PBT?  Who else would like that?

Offline joey

« Reply #1402 on: Tue, 26 April 2016, 06:54:29 »
I might be up to get a set, depending on the price.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1403 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 15:34:10 »
Good news - thanks to phosphorglow and wcass the compact xwhatsit controllers are working now!  Of course I will do further testing beforehand but it looks like this will not be holding up the project.

Offline ryahirv

« Reply #1404 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 15:35:21 »
Good news - thanks to phosphorglow and wcass the compact xwhatsit controllers are working now!  Of course I will do further testing beforehand but it looks like this will not be holding up the project.

SUPERB!!!   :D
Thank you to you both!

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1405 on: Thu, 28 April 2016, 15:49:03 »
And of course thanks to xwhatsit and __red__ for the original controller and compact controller, respectively!

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1406 on: Sun, 01 May 2016, 19:32:34 »
And now that the controllers are likely to be good (or at least their footprint is not expected to change) I will not be held up in ordering just about all the remaining parts for the F62 and F77 keyboards except for the keys (the factory still needs more time to quote the keys).

I am looking to order these parts this week (just about all the parts related to the inner assembly). 

Sorry I still haven't had a chance to work on the scumnc customized layout - I'm thinking that will be for the second round.

Offline Ir0n

« Reply #1407 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 05:02:40 »
Nice! Is the date to get these out still this month, or in April ?

I still need to order caps and other things for mine

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #1408 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 06:31:35 »
big thanks to all those helping this project along. I'm still counting the days!
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1409 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 16:38:52 »
Ir0n I noted in recent weeks that we're looking for everything to ship hopefully by the end of June/July at this point, which is delayed from my original overly-optimistic estimates.  The good news is that I was able to upgrade everyone to die cast zinc cases from CNC milled aluminum cases.  The ultra compact cases will still be aluminum.

Offline Bevo

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1410 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 21:31:47 »
Ir0n I noted in recent weeks that we're looking for everything to ship hopefully by the end of June/July at this point, which is delayed from my original overly-optimistic estimates.  The good news is that I was able to upgrade everyone to die cast zinc cases from CNC milled aluminum cases.  The ultra compact cases will still be aluminum.

What are the benefits of die cast zinc compared to CNC milled Alu? I would have thought milled alu was an upgrade to casting.

Offline ika

« Reply #1411 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 21:54:06 »
are there pics of the low profile case?

Offline Jedi

« Reply #1412 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 21:55:50 »
What are the benefits of die cast zinc compared to CNC milled Alu? I would have thought milled alu was an upgrade to casting.

http://www.brillcast.com/aluminum-die-casting.html
TLDR
Advantages of Zinc over Aluminum Die Casting
Weight is a property of zinc that can’t be ignored. It’s roughly 2 ½ times heavier than aluminum
Less machining required for tight tolerances
Superior for decorative finishing
Tough durability
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 May 2016, 21:57:29 by cswanic »

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #1413 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 22:35:23 »

http://www.brillcast.com/aluminum-die-casting.html
TLDR
Advantages of Zinc over Aluminum Die Casting
Weight is a property of zinc that can’t be ignored. It’s roughly 2 ½ times heavier than aluminum
Less machining required for tight tolerances
Superior for decorative finishing
Tough durability
bevo was asking about zinc die cast vs cnc'd aluminum, not vs alu die cast.
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1414 on: Tue, 03 May 2016, 22:51:39 »
Yep that's right cswanic

SixtyLife the advantage is that the cases will be closer to the originals.  The aim of the project is to reproduce the original Model F metal case as closely as possible - the original 4704 cases were die cast zinc or a mix of heavier metals including zinc, to my knowledge. 

ika there are no photos of the ultra compact cases at this point.  I posted some draft renderings of the F62 version on reddit though.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #1415 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 21:30:47 »
SixtyLife the advantage is that the cases will be closer to the originals.  The aim of the project is to reproduce the original Model F metal case as closely as possible - the original 4704 cases were die cast zinc or a mix of heavier metals including zinc, to my knowledge. 

That is why I am in this Group Buy BECAUSE it's to reproduce the exact same casing of the ORIGINAL 4704.  If you did this in Aluminum then I would of bought another Kmac or LZ keyboard instead.

Keep to your original design proposal since that is what caught my interest in the first place  :thumb: .

Offline ryahirv

« Reply #1416 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 21:37:13 »

That is why I am in this Group Buy BECAUSE it's to reproduce the exact same casing of the ORIGINAL 4704.  If you did this in Aluminum then I would of bought another Kmac or LZ keyboard instead.

Keep to your original design proposal since that is what caught my interest in the first place  :thumb: .

But please don't also forget that many are only interested in the smaller case at some point too!
I'm here for the switches and key feel, not the physical size of the case, which is a huge ergonomic issue for me.

Thank you!!

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1417 on: Wed, 04 May 2016, 22:46:54 »
For those who want the ultra compact case option, is the three-piece aluminum case from my reddit post what people are generally looking for? 
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/46y12u/buying_ultra_compact_f62_f77_model_f_cases_draft/?

My current ultra compact case draft is essentially unchanged, save for the sides being a few mm smaller.  I went down to a width of the side edges of the case being 2 mm since the feedback was mostly "make the keyboard as compact as possible" - any further and it would affect the strength of the case in my view.

I'd be interested in popular alternative ultra compact case options too if anyone wanted to share.  I think aluminum is the best way to go for those cases as opposed to plastic or some combination of the two.

Offline 3K

« Reply #1418 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 05:50:13 »
For those who want the ultra compact case option, is the three-piece aluminum case from my reddit post what people are generally looking for? 
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/46y12u/buying_ultra_compact_f62_f77_model_f_cases_draft/?

My current ultra compact case draft is essentially unchanged, save for the sides being a few mm smaller.  I went down to a width of the side edges of the case being 2 mm since the feedback was mostly "make the keyboard as compact as possible" - any further and it would affect the strength of the case in my view.

I'd be interested in popular alternative ultra compact case options too if anyone wanted to share.  I think aluminum is the best way to go for those cases as opposed to plastic or some combination of the two.

Looks pretty damn good.

Model M '88    | Model M SSK '87 | HHKB P2  | Zowie FK1

Offline RyanArr

« Reply #1419 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 08:30:02 »
Could you put up a render with both the standard and compact cases in it for scale?

Offline ryahirv

« Reply #1420 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 10:05:16 »
Small case seems to look good to my uneducated eye...
Agree with RyanArr - Perhaps a comparison shot to assist the excitement of the size?

Offline cjhard

• Claudia the Magnificent
« Reply #1421 on: Thu, 05 May 2016, 11:28:03 »
Is there any risk the small case will look boxy like Massdrop's weird HHKB case?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1422 on: Sat, 07 May 2016, 09:36:38 »
cjhard please see the renderings a few posts above for how the case is expected to look

Here's a size comparison of the ultra compact and original cases:
136471-0

Offline ryahirv

« Reply #1423 on: Sat, 07 May 2016, 10:48:20 »
cjhard please see the renderings a few posts above for how the case is expected to look

(Attachment Link)

Seems good to me!

Offline Muffinbottoms

« Reply #1424 on: Sat, 07 May 2016, 18:55:03 »
Woooohhhhh!! Still just as excited as I was when I first heard of these. Great job on all that you've done Ellipse! Wish I could do more to help speeds things along, but I have zero skills in everything related to keyboards haha. If you ever need a box of cereal sent to you though, I'm your man!

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #1425 on: Sat, 07 May 2016, 21:01:29 »
(Attachment Link)

The ORIGINAL still moistens my loins without hesitation  8) .

There's something about a solid large keyboard to use that adds that special level of confidence compared to all the dainty, girl-like stuff being released constantly.

Offline ryahirv

« Reply #1426 on: Sat, 07 May 2016, 23:43:40 »
(Attachment Link)

The ORIGINAL still moistens my loins without hesitation  8) .

There's something about a solid large keyboard to use that adds that special level of confidence compared to all the dainty, girl-like stuff being released constantly.

lmao - Well, while you "moisten your loins", I'll be excited about the narrower width for my mouse to be closer to center.
 :)

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1427 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 18:22:05 »
The ultra compact case looks so much smaller than the original! 

Any product marketing experts?  Please PM me if you can send some advice my way!  That's the one area I still need a lot of help on.  My goal is to get as many of these Brand New Model F keyboards out there as possible before final round production ends.

Offline dante

« Reply #1428 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 19:29:36 »
My goal is to get as many of these Brand New Model F keyboards out there as possible before final round production ends.

I suspect there are a silent majority who are waiting for feedback from those who receive round 1.  Over the last year quite a few people have gotten burned in group buys so folks are a bit more hesitant now.

If you could get a prototype in the hands of someone like fohat.digs I'm sure that would go pretty far with a lot of folks.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1429 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 23:05:52 »
My goal is to get as many of these Brand New Model F keyboards out there as possible before final round production ends.

I suspect there are a silent majority who are waiting for feedback from those who receive round 1.  Over the last year quite a few people have gotten burned in group buys so folks are a bit more hesitant now.

If you could get a prototype in the hands of someone like fohat.digs I'm sure that would go pretty far with a lot of folks.

Truthfully, I'm waiting 'til I see some reviews/thoughts from people and also for the ultra slim case.  :thumb:

Offline Atredl

« Reply #1430 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 00:54:38 »
Silent person here, just waiting to see how the 1st round turns out.

« Reply #1431 on: Thu, 12 May 2016, 10:33:49 »

Yes, I basically fall into this category... Although I think this project looks awesome and will most likely live up to the expected quality, it would be nice to see some feedback from others before comitting to an order, considering the price.

I had another question... I'm one of the people that wants to order just the ultra compact version (not as a separate case later, but as the case it comes with). So far I've been waiting for that option to be available on the site before placing an order, but do you recommend I keep waiting for the option to appear on the site or would it be better to place an order without that case and make a note?
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 May 2016, 10:35:58 by phoenix_fire512 »
IBM Model M 1391401 (1991-09) | Unicomp New Model M (PS/2) | New Model F FSSK Ultra Compact

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #1432 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 03:21:56 »
Fohat should feel good that he's considered such a standard.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline supamesican

« Reply #1433 on: Fri, 13 May 2016, 08:37:38 »
before final round production ends.
Just found out about this today, when will the final round end? I probably wont have the money for one of these until dec - roughly this time next year(yay moving out of parents...) but man that f77 is one of the most beautiful boards I've ever seen and a new NKRO buckling spring/mode lF board has been my dream board for several years now.

Offline jjnist

« Reply #1434 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 02:29:16 »
I'm also one of the silent ones....I have the money now but I want to see / hear from somebody who used one first. I also really am going for a compact board (ultra compact is nice).

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1435 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 11:13:26 »
As an update I have been testing the smaller xwhatsit controllers re-designed and assembled by red/wcass/phosphorglow and there are some issues with the prototypes.

I have tested two of the prototypes on 3 different computers (2 desktops and 1 notebook) running Win 7 (one) and Win 10 (two PC's) as well as two different 10 foot USB micro cables and there is an issue: the keyboard stops working after a few minutes and it requires disconnecting and reconnecting the USB cable for it to resume working. Sometimes the threshold in xwhatsit's GUI also resets to a random number, even though I have clicked the store override in EEPROM button and closed and re-opened the utility. I have set column skips where appropriate and that helps make the crashing every few minutes instead of every minute or so.

Also the pad for the "1 !" key shows up as pressed unless the threshold is set to 192 (too high a threshold for any other key to be recognized). Switching the jumper wire for rows 7 and 8 move the affected pad's position on the matrix in xwhatsit's software but it's always the same pad.

Also I saw when testing the columns for strobing that the voltage levels were about 1.7v instead of the 0.7v of the originals and the strobing time was about twice as long (the size of the "rectangles" actually changed depending on which two columns were being tested - possibly due to smaller or more variable trace lengths? This could be due to the smaller board size and total length of the traces and may or may not be an issue affecting operation.

Any extra help is appreciated!

Test with original xwhatsit (1st screenshot) and small xwhatsit (2nd screenshot):

Offline joey

« Reply #1436 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 11:34:16 »
It would be great if you can also test on OS X and some form of Linux.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1437 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 13:17:40 »
An update:  After much waiting you can now order your ultra compact, modern design Kishsaver and/or F77!  As I mentioned before, the small cases are shipping with the final round, not the early bird round, most likely.

However I request that you please do not change cases as I have already paid for your case and powdercoating the case for everyone who placed an order (if you feel strongly you want to switch your order to the "small case" camp please PM me).  And you'd probably have a delay of a few months in receiving your F62/F77 if you make the switch since the compact cases are likely not part of the early round.

You can also order a spare ultra compact case (just pick the case in the dropdown menu of the F77/F62 case store item) and it will include the bottom inner assembly part.

Full disclosure, there are only renderings at this point of the case design and the design and colors are subject to change, but the innards will be exactly the same as the original cases, except the bottom inner assembly will be less wide to fit inside the smaller case. The inner assembly will not be red as pictured in the renderings; it will be black. The colors and finish shown in the rendering are not accurate.  The design is expected to look like a standard high-end custom keyboard project case.

F62 compact case expected dimensions: 31 x 14.5 x 2.5 cm (12.2 x 5.7 x 0.8 in.)

F62 original case approximate dimensions: 36 x 18 x 3 cm (14.2 x 7.1 x 1.2 in.)

The ultra compact case version of the F62 Kishsaver and F77 will have an aluminum case (likely anodized or bead-blasted or the like, not powdercoated) and the USB cable will be removable from the back without requiring you to open up the case.

However please note that this version of the case is secondary priority for me compared to getting out the original style case keyboards to everyone who ordered one.  So please expect to get yours with the final round orders, but possibly with the early round orders. Lead time is at least several months.

It is OK if you’d prefer to see the prototype of the case before ordering but I am being asked all the time to get the ultra compact case versions available for order :)

Colors are also not finalized but I expect to have a standard gray (not industrial gray) and black, and possibly other colors like red or blue if anyone’s interested (not confirmed yet). Any suggestions or requests, please let me know.

Also a note that you do not receive the original-style styrofoam packaging with any compact keyboard – the keyboards will be securely packed another way TBD.

137130-0
137132-1
137134-2
137136-3
137138-4
137140-5
137142-6
137144-7
137146-8

Offline TieuNgu

« Reply #1438 on: Sun, 15 May 2016, 23:03:05 »
As an update I have been testing the smaller xwhatsit controllers re-designed and assembled by red/wcass/phosphorglow and there are some issues with the prototypes.

I have tested two of the prototypes on 3 different computers (2 desktops and 1 notebook) running Win 7 (one) and Win 10 (two PC's) as well as two different 10 foot USB micro cables and there is an issue: the keyboard stops working after a few minutes and it requires disconnecting and reconnecting the USB cable for it to resume working. Sometimes the threshold in xwhatsit's GUI also resets to a random number, even though I have clicked the store override in EEPROM button and closed and re-opened the utility. I have set column skips where appropriate and that helps make the crashing every few minutes instead of every minute or so.

Also the pad for the "1 !" key shows up as pressed unless the threshold is set to 192 (too high a threshold for any other key to be recognized). Switching the jumper wire for rows 7 and 8 move the affected pad's position on the matrix in xwhatsit's software but it's always the same pad.

Also I saw when testing the columns for strobing that the voltage levels were about 1.7v instead of the 0.7v of the originals and the strobing time was about twice as long (the size of the "rectangles" actually changed depending on which two columns were being tested - possibly due to smaller or more variable trace lengths? This could be due to the smaller board size and total length of the traces and may or may not be an issue affecting operation.

Any extra help is appreciated!

Test with original xwhatsit (1st screenshot) and small xwhatsit (2nd screenshot):
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Awesome job Ellipse!!!

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1439 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 21:23:56 »
Thanks TieuNgu!  And a major thanks to everyone who has helped with the xwhatsit controller!

Offline joinhandmade

• * Maker
  • www.jellykey.com
    • Jellykey website
« Reply #1440 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 11:19:31 »
Very impressive work. There a lot of thing to learn from you :)
Our website: https://www.jellykey.com
OurFacebook Page: https://www.fb.com/jellykey.joiha/
Our email: jelly.key@joiha.com

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1441 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 18:04:55 »
As an update I'm still looking for someone to help us with the ultra compact xwhatsit controller.  It is still not where it needs to be and I believe there needs to be some adjustment with capacitor and/or resistor values to account for smaller trace lengths - please PM me if you can take a look.  Here is the thread on the troubleshooting steps we've gone through so far:  https://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/a-smaller-xwhatsit-t13479-60.html#p307605

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #1442 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 14:38:13 »
With the production delays and tweaks, has the ordering deadline for the primary round been pushed back or is it still the end of June?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1443 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 15:01:00 »
With the production delays and tweaks, has the ordering deadline for the primary round been pushed back or is it still the end of June?

I hope it's been pushed, especially considering we probably won't see final boards in people's hands by the end of next month. I, and many others, was hoping to see some first-hand impressions before ordering.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1444 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 17:43:51 »
Yes I am expecting to push the deadline to allow at least 1-2 months after the keyboards ship for any last minute orders. 

Offline dante

« Reply #1445 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 20:02:48 »
I don't know if fohat.digs ordered in the first batch but if he did it would be wise to get him to write a review.

His opinion carries weight.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #1446 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 00:27:55 »
I don't know if fohat.digs ordered in the first batch but if he did it would be wise to get him to write a review.

His opinion carries weight.

Have to agree, Fohat has 100% trust here on this forum so his viewpoint will be the last and only one that matters.

Be sure, Ellipse that you send out the very best made F77 or F62 keyboard because it shall be the one that signals the whole world to jump on in and BUY  8) .

Make it so........
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 May 2016, 00:30:33 by Elrick »

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1447 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 12:25:23 »
+1 for fohat. I would def trust him to be thorough and up-front in reviewing these boards.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1448 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 17:18:46 »
Yes it would be great if fohat was able to review the production boards.  fohat's F 122 ANSI conversion guide was a great help as I moved from the Model M to the Model F as my daily driver some years ago.

As of yet he is not in the early bird group buy - if anyone is willing to loan their keyboard out to fohat I'd appreciate it!

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #1449 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 13:38:06 »
How much time do you think should be allowed for people to order after the early bird keyboards ship out to everyone?