geekhack Community > Input Devices

Any Ploopy users on here

<< < (2/5) > >>

Kavik:
I remember seeing something like this on Reddit, but I thought it was just a DIY 3D printed thing. I didn't realize it had come to market. I'm interested in anyone's experience with it also.

nevin:
i have the mouse. what would you like to know?

Kavik:

--- Quote from: nevin on Mon, 07 December 2020, 10:50:33 ---i have the mouse. what would you like to know?

--- End quote ---

I am interested in the trackball. My main concern is how well it fits the hand (no odd bumps in the palm swell, no fingers hanging off the sides) and how easily the buttons are reached without shifting hand position. I have a CST Trackball, whose ball is very good but whose shape is not in any way ergonomic: I can't click and hold the ball at the same time, and my hand basically has to hover over it or else my wrist gets a hotspot from the pressure. Because of this, I've been using a Logitech M570 for a few years, which is much better but has its own ergonomic issues after extended use.

I've been using a mouse most of the time this year, but I have a wrist injury that may end up requiring surgery at some point, so having another trackball option would be nice.

nevin:
believe the shape is based off the Microsoft Trackball Explorer. since the ploopy is rather new there aren't a whole lot of reviews yet. do a search for reviews of the MTE and see what's said about ergonomics. and compare with your hand size, etc...

as far as the ploopy hardware... it's great. i've been playing with custom mice for a while and these are excellent, polished devices (professional/finished product feeling, not that the 3d prints are polished...just to be clear).
they are well worth the price. with the ones i was playing with, they were over $70 just for the parts alone, not including the shell. using the same pmw3360 sensor.

if you are handy and can put one together, there's no reason not to get the diy version. they are $139.99 CAD ($109.44 USD atm)
- you can pick from a couple colors
- you can choose left or right handed (how often do you see a left-handed trackball)
- it's fully programmable, make any button, any action in QMK (can use keyboard codes in mouse/trackball)
- on the fly keymapping with VIA
- open source & readily available parts (they even sell a maintenance kit)
https://www.ploopy.co/trackball

i've been waiting for years for devices like these to come to fruition.
- PROGRAMMABLE (will work on any OS, no supporting app/software needed running in background & hogging resources)
- customizable
- open source

Kavik:

--- Quote from: nevin on Mon, 07 December 2020, 11:28:36 ---believe the shape is based off the Microsoft Trackball Explorer. since the ploopy is rather new there aren't a whole lot of reviews yet. do a search for reviews of the MTE and see what's said about ergonomics. and compare with your hand size, etc...

as far as the ploopy hardware... it's great. i've been playing with custom mice for a while and these are excellent, polished devices (professional/finished product feeling, not that the 3d prints are polished...just to be clear).
they are well worth the price. with the ones i was playing with, they were over $70 just for the parts alone, not including the shell. using the same pmw3360 sensor.

if you are handy and can put one together, there's no reason not to get the diy version. they are $139.99 CAD ($109.44 USD atm)
- you can pick from a couple colors
- you can choose left or right handed (how often do you see a left-handed trackball)
- it's fully programmable, make any button, any action in QMK (can use keyboard codes in mouse/trackball)
- on the fly keymapping with VIA
- open source & readily available parts (they even sell a maintenance kit)
https://www.ploopy.co/trackball

i've been waiting for years for devices like these to come to fruition.
- PROGRAMMABLE (will work on any OS, no supporting app/software needed running in background & hogging resources)
- customizable
- open source

--- End quote ---

Awesome, thanks for the info  :thumb:

The DIY version is definitely what I would get. It saves money, and the soldering required looks really easy. Being able to customize button layouts is a definite plus given the unorthodox button positions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version