geekhack Community > Ergonomics

Noise that Comes from Kinesis Advantage

(1/4) > >>

liist:
I have used the Kinesis Advantage for two full days of transcribing and I have to say it's amazing. First day, I was significantly slowed down, but it didn't take me long to get used to the layout. The hardest part was entering Alt and Ctrl commands, but I've gotten that by the second day. I'm still slower than I was before, but I take fewer and shorter breaks and probably more overall productive (as we get paid by dictation time processed). It's been the comfortable keyboard that I've been looking for the whole time, and I'm retiring the Filco for the time being until my wrist heals up again.

Now the issue I have is that there's an electronic noise that comes from the keyboard when I type on it. I'm not sure how it happened, but it's there. I didn't notice as I'm always wearing headphones, but it can be quite annoying for home use if and when I decide to take it home.

I notice that this thing has all sorts of weird hidden features that I can potentially use. Just wanting to know how I can silence this thing.

kps:
Press Program+Backslash to turn off the click, and Program+Hyphen to turn off the beep for caps- num- and scroll-lock. You can get a copy of the manual here.

sordna:
Congrats on getting a Kinesis Advantage!
The sound is configurable, as kps said.
I usually have the sound turned on, it's like having clicky switches... provides feedback that confirms the key registered. Regarding the ctrl and alt, key combinations work best if you do them using both hands. If you need to do CTRL-A for example, hold CTRL with the right hand, and if you need to do ALT-M, hold ALT with the left hand. Once you get used to it, it's both faster and easier on the hands than doing single-handed combinations. You can also record macros for any complex multi-key combinations, or phrases/signatures that you type often, to relieve your hands further.

Input Nirvana:
Between the extensive on-board programmability, and some 3rd party software, you can make it do almost anything besides press the perfect espresso. You can remap any key, and may want to remap/copy Alt and Control to better suit your needs.

You can always change to cherry reds from the browns. How do you like the light tactile response? What is the serial number on the back?

Don't forget, you need to name her :)

Lanx:
isn't naming keyboards weird? especially naming it her? i mean some guys bottom out, would that be cause for domestic violence?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version