geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

Tinkering with my 87u

<< < (4/4)

_rubik:
Necroing my own thread here. This is the current state of the build -- it's been sitting on my thread for almost three years now. The Norbaforce case arrive a few months after the last post, but otherwise nothing else has changed. It's time to give it some love.

Some things need to change. For starters, these caps are awful. I wanted something to tide me over under I added MX slides but I never got back to it. The plate paint job is... OK. I think I'll leave it for now, but I'm considering stripping it and bringing it to a shop to have it professionally painted.

Also, that dammed bottom corner. The housing is slightly misshapen and the stem is different, almost like it was rounded off. I forget the exact reason (I think it has to do with the LED), but there's nothing we can do about that. I'm thinking since deskey now sells replacement housings, I can experiment with shaving a few down to size.

Otherwise, the list of things I need:
- MX sliders, almost certainly from deskey
- Housings. The current housings are pretty beat to hell after taking things apart a few times. Plus the Deskey clear housings plus purple slides give some zealio vibes that I can't say no to.
- Domes. I know I replaced these in an earlier post, but deep down I think I'd be happier with a lighter dome.

The silencing rings still feel great and the springs are springs. Not much to share there. Of course, if I'm tearing it all down to built it back up, I'm going to relube everything again.

_rubik:
I picked up the Cipulot R1 RF 87u PCB from CannonKeys. It was probably not necessary, but gaining QMK support was a big plus for me. That turns this board from a fun weekend board to a productive daily driver with Space-FN etc.

At this point the only thing left from the original board will be the plate.... which I might as well have cerakoted because we're pulling out all the stops here, I guess.

Rhienfo:

--- Quote from: _rubik on Fri, 17 May 2024, 16:54:22 ---I picked up the Cipulot R1 RF 87u PCB from CannonKeys. It was probably not necessary, but gaining QMK support was a big plus for me. That turns this board from a fun weekend board to a productive daily driver with Space-FN etc.

At this point the only thing left from the original board will be the plate.... which I might as well have cerakoted because we're pulling out all the stops here, I guess.

--- End quote ---

I mean qmk is big for tkls at least, I really don't like the standard layout so it's big that I can reprogram it. Might grab a replacement pcb/adapter so I can reprogram my layers better for my hhkb, and that is a layout that I really like.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version