geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

Tinkering with my 87u

<< < (2/4) > >>

_rubik:

Well that was fast

_rubik:
Buttoned up.

deskeys 56g domes, 0.3mm silencing rings, and 205g0. I immediately noticed a few small  adjustments that I need to make, but otherwise it’s pretty solid.

Compared to the bke heavies, it feels much more “stock”. The tactile bump is rounder and the return isn’t as immediate or sharp. I’m not completely sold on the silencing rings  though, but I think that’s just a matter of preference.

One thing I did notice that I _dont_ like is the spring chatter. I can hear the springs rattle a bit on the key return. Not sure exactly why, but I’m assuming there’s more room for the spring to move under the dome. I’ll have to do some reading. Maybe this has always happened, but the silencing rings have muted the slider return and so I hear the spring rattle more.

I’ll daily this board for a week and update this thread.

Excited for the norbaforce either way.

jamster:
I'm enjoying watching this.

My 87U is close to enough to perfect (well, for a TKL) that I cannot bring myself to risk changing anything, but it's definitely interesting following your project.

The silencing rings- do they only affect the sound of bottom out, and do they reduce the tactile event of the membrane?

_rubik:

--- Quote from: jamster on Thu, 02 September 2021, 22:34:55 ---I'm enjoying watching this.

My 87U is close to enough to perfect (well, for a TKL) that I cannot bring myself to risk changing anything, but it's definitely interesting following your project.

The silencing rings- do they only affect the sound of bottom out, and do they reduce the tactile event of the membrane?

--- End quote ---

Wasn't sure if anyone was following along or if I was just speaking to the wind -- glad you're enjoying the thread  :D

I'm certainly worried about making one change too many, but I've opened this thing up more times than I can count -- so why not I guess

The silencing rings don't effect the sound of bottoming out not do they change the tactile event (from what I can tell), but they do reduce the slider travel. Deskeys make gaskets that sit above the dome to counter the reduced travel, but I haven't tried those out.

These rings are only 0.3mm (their second thinnest option) so I'm not too worried about travel very much. Overall, the combined reduced travel and return sound is starting to grow on me though.

jamster:
So the silencing rings reduce the sound of the key returning to the upwards position? I could see some value in that.

I seem to have been misunderstanding what these rings do.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version