geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?

<< < (550/550)

user 18:

--- Quote from: fohat.digs on Tue, 11 April 2023, 10:24:39 ---Is Vera better than Vanessa, and, more importantly, is it a worthwhile upgrade?

--- End quote ---

I updated an older Dell XPS 13 from Vanessa to Vera a few months ago. Most of the changes are to the GUI, and I had to do some work to get my preferred mouse cursor back. Flatpak support in the update manager is nice, if you're a fan of flatpak.

My typical philosophy is usually not to care too much about the point releases, but they are fairly straightforward upgrades compared to changing major versions.

TacticalCoder:
Still all kind of Debian or Debian derivatives / fork.

I just build a new PC: AMD 7700X.  I installed Debian Bookworm (it's not considered "stable" yet but should be soon, it's in testing but "hard freeze" already, so in Debian's world that means quite stable already).  Working flawlessly so far (been using that 7700X since a few days).

Terrysko:

--- Quote from: TacticalCoder on Mon, 17 April 2023, 16:35:19 ---I just build a new PC: AMD 7700X. I installed Debian Bookworm (it's not considered "stable" yet but should be soon, it's in testing but "hard freeze" already, so in Debian's world that means quite stable already). Working flawlessly so far (been using that 7700X since a few days).
--- End quote ---
About 1½ years ago I faced a similar task, building a powerful HTPC: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X. The implementation of this project took almost four months in total, but it paid off, as the energy consumption and its key data were very important to me. Although it wasn't initially clear whether I should choose Linux Mint or Debian, I decided at the last minute in favour of the ingenious compromise LMDE and have not regretted it to this day.

Marboard:
I use Manjaro with Gnome.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version