Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2458547 times)

Offline Mattr567

Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1100 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 23:47:23 »
A taste of what is to come :D The lights shall shine!
Show Image

Bonus:
Show Image

Wow, keeping it classy with the old school red LED look? Sick man. You know, the Xerox boards actually have green LEDs. I wonder how many variations there were. I've mainly seen red ones.

Very nice. Can't wait to see it. Good cap choice as well for that retro look. :D Switch tester is looking mighty fine too!  :thumb:

I believe there was only red and green as options. Compared to the original leds the new one defiantly look darker.

Hit the nail on the head, wanted to keep it looking classic alps plus I think a red glow goes nice with Dolch. The caps look darker irl.

The tester is good but needs a couple more switches to make it great. Particularly both those whites are dampened :p Haven't actually tried bog standard SKCM Whites.

What linear switches came with the Xerox?
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline E3E

« Reply #1101 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 00:29:21 »
Show Image

Bonus:
Show Image

Wow, keeping it classy with the old school red LED look? Sick man. You know, the Xerox boards actually have green LEDs. I wonder how many variations there were. I've mainly seen red ones.

Very nice. Can't wait to see it. Good cap choice as well for that retro look. :D Switch tester is looking mighty fine too!  :thumb:

I believe there was only red and green as options. Compared to the original leds the new one defiantly look darker.

Hit the nail on the head, wanted to keep it looking classic alps plus I think a red glow goes nice with Dolch. The caps look darker irl.

The tester is good but needs a couple more switches to make it great. Particularly both those whites are dampened :p Haven't actually tried bog standard SKCM Whites.

I would not be surprised if only red and green were available, actually. Yep, that's a n ice look man. Sounds good to me.

I might be able to spare some whites if I desolder this Acer 6011 I have, but I'm not sure  ATM. After so many blue Alps boards, it was my first white SKCM, so of course I didn't think it was so spectacular. Not bad, but I'm probably just spoiled on blues.

For the Docutech boards, they came around in 1990, which is a bit past the last years of Alps SKCL Green, so the switches used are actually SKCL Yellows. Even on the later bamboo models, the yellow switch housings have slits (pine).

I think their predecessor, the look-alike 6085 keyboards probably used green SKCL for the caps (with brown SKCM on alphas). Of course the half-switches at top are Alps SKCL :)

So what's your favorite switch so far?

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #1102 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 05:02:58 »
For all you korean customs / alps lovers here, check out our new GB LZ alps time!

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #1103 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 07:51:34 »
It would be interesting if the 6085s had browns. Would be the start of some evidence that green actually succeeded brown, for which there is no clear evidence atm.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline E3E

« Reply #1104 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 09:50:54 »
It would be interesting if the 6085s had browns. Would be the start of some evidence that green actually succeeded brown, for which there is no clear evidence atm.

There is one! By a stroke of amazing coincidence, MAR82 found a 6085 board and it indeed had brown taciles. Let me dig up the post. This definitely lends to evidence that Brown SKCM and Neon Green SKCM are indeed related. Though with their very similar tactile leaf shape, it's hard to imagine how they could not be related.

Someone has speculated that the Neon Green switch was specially commissioned by Xerox since it has been yet to be found in any other board.

So here's MAR82's board:

I'm getting the Browns from a board that's almost identical to the board that Nubbinator has
http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/xerox-with-tactile-green-alps-t8461.html

I better start desoldering, cleaning and lubing them up
[IMAGE BELOW]

The board also has these funky half sized switches too
[IMAGE BELOW]

Additional images:

One interesting difference between the Docutech and 6085 keyboard aside from switches and the graphics above the top function keys on the Docutech is that the Caps Lock key on the 6085 seems to be a doubleshot key whereas on the key on the Docutech is PBT with a clear window held in place by plastic rivets.
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 March 2016, 10:00:06 by E3E »

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #1105 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 10:04:26 »
I sometimes wonder about the sanity of early Alps board manufacturers. I received two Texas Instruments boards with SKCL Greens, but randomly there are two switches with SKCM Browns.   :confused:

And it's on both boards so it's not like this was a maintenance thing. Very strange.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #1106 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 12:01:20 »
I sometimes wonder about the sanity of early Alps board manufacturers. I received two Texas Instruments boards with SKCL Greens, but randomly there are two switches with SKCM Browns.   :confused:

And it's on both boards so it's not like this was a maintenance thing. Very strange.
Hahahaha wat xD .

One of my Focus boards had as many as five different switches in it in random places xD . Genuine Alps, three different types of Alps clones and a Futaba lock switch. These guys must've just been using what was at hand :p .

Offline mseaworthy

« Reply #1107 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 12:18:15 »
Top case of the Matias Laptop Pro (quiet switches) is painted with Blaze Blue Plastidip. Bottom case remains in the stock silver color.

Function keys are ABS double shots from a Northgate (they took color about as well as ABS caps will—not great). Spacebar and 1U Option keys are stock ABS caps. Balance of caps are from an Apple M0116 and AEK II.

I’m not ecstatic with the final colors. Wish it was easier to control dye colors, and wish I would have waited to paint the case after I saw how the caps turned out, but the feel of the caps is radically improved. Aim was to have the modifiers and numbers come out grey, but Dylon Elephant Grey often takes a blue/grey hue instead of a putty grey. Remaining colors are all from iDye Poly.

This is a great wireless mech. And now the spartan stock aesthetics of the case and caps are gone.

Offline spanyam

• Enjoy the gift of life!
« Reply #1108 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 12:19:35 »
Question regarding keycaps: What's the best way to shave keycap stems to make them easier to fit and remove from ALPS switches? Or should I not do that and just stick to wiggling (for hours)?
SKCM Orange ALPS on Infinity 60% bent-metal case w/ hasu ALPS64 PCB and PBT blank DSA caps | KBP V60 w/ Matias Quiet Linears | IBM Model M | QFR w/ MX Blues

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #1109 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 12:34:06 »
Question regarding keycaps: What's the best way to shave keycap stems to make them easier to fit and remove from ALPS switches? Or should I not do that and just stick to wiggling (for hours)?

DO NOT wiggle your caps. You will break a stem and then you will be sad.

IME, most of the holding power on an Alps stem comes from the corners.  I've found that shaving a bit of material off of two adjacent corners is all it takes to make Alps a little easier to work with. I usually shave the two rear corners, as shown below:

I use a utility knife, but an X-acto might be easier to work with if you have one handy. I've done this on entire sets of Tai Hao and SP Alps caps, and so far I haven't had any trouble with caps being too loose or anything, so I would recommend going through the effort.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #1110 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 12:37:34 »

IME, most of the holding power on an Alps stem comes from the corners.  I've found that shaving a bit of material off of two adjacent corners is all it takes to make Alps a little easier to work with. I usually shave the two rear corners, as shown below:
[...]

Can confirm the njbair-method* is the way to go! I have an x-acto knife with a staight chisel end and it's super easy to trim up the corners, provided you haven't had too much coffee to drink.

*that sounds dirty...  :rolleyes:

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #1111 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 15:24:24 »
I'm thinking of dissecting my FK-2001 and moving the switches to TKL, but need to get some soldering equipment.

Will this $13 solder gun and a solder sucker I bought on Amazon work good enough?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1112 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 16:07:35 »
I'm thinking of dissecting my FK-2001 and moving the switches to TKL, but need to get some soldering equipment.

Will this $13 solder gun and a solder sucker I bought on Amazon work good enough?

You did not show a link but the answer is probably "yes"

Better equipment always makes for faster and easier work, but I have done several transplants with shabby cheap old soldering tools. Now I have marginally better but still decidedly low-end gear.

You should leave the Focus alone, those are decent enough boards. If you are going to the trouble to transplant many dozens of switches, you should make a proper project of it and take really good switches from a really bad board and put them into something worthwhile.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #1113 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 16:30:57 »

Better equipment always makes for faster and easier work, but I have done several transplants with shabby cheap old soldering tools. Now I have marginally better but still decidedly low-end gear.

You should leave the Focus alone, those are decent enough boards. If you are going to the trouble to transplant many dozens of switches, you should make a proper project of it and take really good switches from a really bad board and put them into something worthwhile.
I'm going to start calling you Fohat the Intercessor--always pleading for the survival of vintage boards.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1114 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 17:28:26 »

I'm going to start calling you Fohat the Intercessor--always pleading for the survival of vintage boards.

I think that would be Chryos

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #1115 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 17:46:10 »

Yes, I think that would probably be me :p . And ripping up a 2001 is heresy! :p

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #1116 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 17:54:08 »

Yes, I think that would probably be me :p . And ripping up a 2001 is heresy! :p

Chyros is the big softie.

Fohat is the eternal pragmatist.

Yoe is the retro artist.

Offline E3E

« Reply #1117 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 17:58:44 »

Yoe is the retro artist.

So where does that leave me? :P

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #1118 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 18:05:44 »

Yoe is the retro artist.

Maker and Compulsive Buyer/Hoarder!

You tow the line, you'll strip down a board, but you've shown your soft side with those Xerox boards!

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #1119 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 18:06:37 »

Yoe is the retro artist.

The seeker of Alps

I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1120 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 18:19:34 »

Yoe is the retro artist.

Right in the middle, you are willing to tear apart a board for its guts and glory, yet you sometimes have sympathy.

Show Image

Bonus:
Show Image

I would not be surprised if only red and green were available, actually. Yep, that's a n ice look man. Sounds good to me.

I might be able to spare some whites if I desolder this Acer 6011 I have, but I'm not sure  ATM. After so many blue Alps boards, it was my first white SKCM, so of course I didn't think it was so spectacular. Not bad, but I'm probably just spoiled on blues.

For the Docutech boards, they came around in 1990, which is a bit past the last years of Alps SKCL Green, so the switches used are actually SKCL Yellows. Even on the later bamboo models, the yellow switch housings have slits (pine).

I think their predecessor, the look-alike 6085 keyboards probably used green SKCL for the caps (with brown SKCM on alphas). Of course the half-switches at top are Alps SKCL :)

So what's your favorite switch so far?

That would be amazing if you could get a SKCM White.

Ah, SKCL Yellow makes sense. Favorite would be SKCM Blue but for budget reasons SKCM Orange is my daily. Orange is a seriously underrated switch imo. Next to the best!
My idea with the switch tester is that once I get enough switches I would send it on a tour. I think it would be a great for the community. The more interest there is in Alps the better. I mean, you are one of the very few who has tried SKCL Brown. If we (the community/people in this thread) worked together we could create the ultimate Alps switch tester. Just a thought.

There is one! By a stroke of amazing coincidence, MAR82 found a 6085 board and it indeed had brown taciles. Let me dig up the post. This definitely lends to evidence that Brown SKCM and Neon Green SKCM are indeed related. Though with their very similar tactile leaf shape, it's hard to imagine how they could not be related.

Someone has speculated that the Neon Green switch was specially commissioned by Xerox since it has been yet to be found in any other board.

So here's MAR82's board:

I'm getting the Browns from a board that's almost identical to the board that Nubbinator has
http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/xerox-with-tactile-green-alps-t8461.html

I better start desoldering, cleaning and lubing them up
[IMAGE BELOW]

The board also has these funky half sized switches too
[IMAGE BELOW]

Show Image

Show Image

Additional images:

Show Image

Show Image

One interesting difference between the Docutech and 6085 keyboard aside from switches and the graphics above the top function keys on the Docutech is that the Caps Lock key on the 6085 seems to be a doubleshot key whereas on the key on the Docutech is PBT with a clear window held in place by plastic rivets.

That looks like pretty good evidence to me. SKCM Neon Green is what SKCM Black is to Salmon expect with SKCM Browns. And like SKCM Black there is a 'early' version with slits.
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 March 2016, 18:25:57 by Mattr567 »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #1121 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 18:41:41 »
That looks like pretty good evidence to me. SKCM Neon Green is what SKCM Black is to Salmon expect with SKCM Browns. And like SKCM Black there is a 'early' version with slits.
Yeah, not really :p . But it's a tiny, tiny start :p .

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #1122 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 19:04:25 »
The earliest tactile green switches date from the salmon-slider era. Brown switches are earlier, from the blue/orange/green “tall switchplate” era.

I think you’re right though that they are the same concept.

Practically, however, there is a much larger difference between brown and green tactile switches than there is between orange/salmon/black switches. The brown switches are significantly stiffer.

Overall the timeline goes roughly like:

green
green – blue – ivory
green – blue – orange – brown
yellow – white – salmon – green
yellow – white – black – green – cream (all with slits)
yellow – white – black – green – white (no slits)

I’m leaving brown/cream/gray linear, amber clicky, and gray/cream locking switches out of the list, for simplicity.
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 March 2016, 19:14:14 by jacobolus »

Offline E3E

« Reply #1123 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 19:12:30 »
Right in the middle, you are willing to tear apart a board for its guts and glory, yet you sometimes have sympathy.

I guess this is sort of true. I am rather ruthless to some keyboards while very sympathetic toward others, like most blue Alps boards and the Xeroxes. I also spare the AT101 because I find it to be a very nice board despite it boring me. :))

My Monterey K101 103 (as it says on the label) is the closest 101 Alps board that I feel like I could desolder, though I still wouldn't want to. It's just my least favorite.

That would be amazing if you could get a SKCM White.

Ah, SKCL Yellow makes sense. Favorite would be SKCM Blue but for budget reasons SKCM Orange is my daily. Orange is a seriously underrated switch imo. Next to the best!
My idea with the switch tester is that once I get enough switches I would send it on a tour. I think it would be a great for the community. The more interest their is in Alps the better. I mean, you are one of the very few who has tried SKCL Brown. If we (the community/people in this thread) worked together we could create the ultimate Alps switch tester. Just a thought.

I'd have to desolder the Acer 6011 I have. I'm not sure if I'd want to. On the other hand, I could just swap housings with a Salmon or something. We'll see. I'm not sure at this point, haha.

Yeah, SKCL Yellow indeed. My favorite is SKCM Blue, SKCM Neon Green, and SKCL Green in each respective category, that's for sure. Barring Neons, I'd pick SKCM Orange as my favorite tactile. Orange is very similar to feel, imo, to blue Alps, which makes it pretty amazing.

Yeah, I hear you on the switch tester bit, that's true. Yeah, SKCL browns and SKCM Neons are really really hard to find. Brown SKCL is just a random shot. Texas Instruments Low Profile boards have them, but they can also have SKCM Brown. I think they started with SKCL Brown though. Then there's a Packard Bell 84 key that seemed more common in Japan. SKCL Browns had a limited production that began AFTER SKCL Green but ended before production for SKCL Green ended. It's really strange. I guess they just wanted to test an alternative weight but it was likely unpopular compared to SKCL Green.

Yeah, I really cannot see how they aren't related. If the SKCM Brown debuted in 1985 with the 6085, then I would not doubt if Xerox had a hand in  it then as well, or maybe they just had such positive feedback toward it, that they asked Alps to make an equivalent or something as Alps began moving to short contact plates and more simple one-piece leaf springs. Who knows.

Seeing these, how could they not be related? No other tactile or click leaf for that matter, looks like these.

Notice the weird grey paint on the brown tactile leaf? Strange.

I think you’re right though that they are the same concept.

Practically, however, there is a much larger difference between brown and green tactile switches than there is between orange/salmon/black switches. The brown switches are significantly stiffer.

I don't find much of a difference between pine SKCM Neon Greens and SKCM Brown. Brown ARE stiffer, but it is similar to how SKCM Salmon are stiffer than Orange, though a little ironic since they moved into a lighter switch. Most other switch relations are the other way around.

The thick plastic part of that SKCM Brown leaf is obviously a big reason why it feels so rigid. SKCM Neon Greens are a simplified and much more practical design.
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 March 2016, 19:14:48 by E3E »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #1124 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 19:17:19 »
The thick plastic part of that SKCM Brown leaf is obviously a big reason why it feels so rigid. SKCM Neon Greens are a simplified and much more practical design.
Nah, it’s not the plastic. The difference is that the brown leaf is a stiffer piece of metal. It’s been a while since I opened one, I can’t remember if the material seems different, or if it’s just thicker.

IIRC the spring is also pretty stiff, but I tried swapping in a lighter spring and it didn’t make as much difference as I hoped.

Offline E3E

« Reply #1125 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 19:20:34 »
Nah, it’s not the plastic. The difference is that the brown leaf is a stiffer piece of metal. It’s been a while since I opened one, I can’t remember if the material seems different, or if it’s just thicker.

IIRC the spring is also pretty stiff, but I tried swapping in a lighter spring and it didn’t make as much difference as I hoped.

You're right, it does look thicker. Yeah, the spring weighting is actually not too far off from Alps SKCL Brown, I noticed. It's something I thought when I first tried tactile browns because I was not used to their strange rounded tactility; they almost felt linear to me.

It feels very smooth if you press a switch gently, but bottoming out on those switches makes the typing experience feel like a rocky road.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #1126 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 20:30:35 »
Could I fix the switches that don't click with internals from Matias switches? (complicated whites)

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #1127 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 20:35:41 »
Could I fix the switches that don't click with internals from Matias switches? (complicated whites)
No. Matias switch insides are more like SKBM (simplified) Alps. Not sure if they're directly interchangeable with SKBM or not, but they are definitely not compatible with SKCM/SKCL switches. Even the upper housings are different on the inside.

My boards:
More

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1128 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 20:39:55 »

i want a keyboard with Dyesubs and a at101 layout, what options do i have?

what i got so far:

acer 6311
sgi granite/iris
some dell at101

i also want some browns,clicky greens, clicky whites or clicky blues.

If my preference and keycaps could be included in 1 keyboard, id be a happy panda.

Some of my favorite Alps compatible caps came from an Acer 6311. Don't count it out.
Are buckling springs and White Complicated ALPS comparable at all?
Nah. BS imo is the best click switch hands down and I adore my Blue Alps
Show Image

Bonus:
Show Image

Wow those LEDs look cray. Can't wait to see the whole build.

Offline E3E

« Reply #1129 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 22:23:23 »

Like Jacobolus mentioned, you probably just reassembled the Alps switch wrong. I've done this with my first Alps board, which was blue Alps and not the cheapest thing. So I was horrified when a switch I put back together did not click.

Just make sure you have inserted the leaves properly. You didn't put any parts in backwards did you? Usually, in switches that say ALPS on the top housing, the ALPS stamp goes on the side opposite of the contacts. There's also round mold markings that go on the side that the contacts are on.

If you look on the inside of the switch, there one side of the top housing that is smooth and flat--this is where the click or tactile leaf goes. There is another side which has a grid-like pattern; this is where the contacts go. Please make sure you simply did not reassemble the switches incorrectly before you try and jump to something drastic, haha. If all you did was take them apart and then they stopped clicking, then I 90% guarantee that you just made a misstep in the reassembly.

Since I don't like holding a 4-5 lb keyboard above my face when I'm reassembling switches, I usually hold them perpendicular to the table, like sideways, which usually is enough to align the top housing with the bottom and reassemble the switch with all the internals lining up properly.

Offline spanyam

• Enjoy the gift of life!
« Reply #1130 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 00:29:09 »

Show Image

I use a utility knife, but an X-acto might be easier to work with if you have one handy. I've done this on entire sets of Tai Hao and SP Alps caps, and so far I haven't had any trouble with caps being too loose or anything, so I would recommend going through the effort.

Okay that sounds perfect :)
SKCM Orange ALPS on Infinity 60% bent-metal case w/ hasu ALPS64 PCB and PBT blank DSA caps | KBP V60 w/ Matias Quiet Linears | IBM Model M | QFR w/ MX Blues

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #1131 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 00:31:11 »
No. Matias switch insides are more like SKBM (simplified) Alps. Not sure if they're directly interchangeable with SKBM or not, but they are definitely not compatible with SKCM/SKCL switches. Even the upper housings are different on the inside.

Yes, you can use a click leaf from a Matias clicky switch in a complicated white Alps switch. It’s not quite identical, but it will work.

You can’t however use the click leaf from a white Alps switch in a Matias switch. It won’t fit.

I have bad luck opening ALPS switches, even when I put them back together properly I keep killing the tactility and click, four are completely linear and I magically morphed one into what feels like a Topre switch.
This is almost certainly just a case of improper reassembly. If you take the switches back apart you can very likely get them back to normal by putting them back together the way they were originally, instead of whatever weird way they’re currently assembled.

I doubt you need to poach parts from Matias switches to fix them.
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 March 2016, 00:36:09 by jacobolus »

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #1132 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 01:55:54 »
Some of the springs are bent, and the click leafs are bent (the tips of the "forks?" that it seems like it would be impossible to get them into as good a shape as before.

This is becuase my cat pulled the cable and the entire keyboard fell with some of the switches opened.

I took apart a healthy switch and swappd the click leaf with one of the linear ones, it seemed to fix it, I must have been damaging the click leaves somehow.

I just need some replacement click leafs and springs, are there any really crappy cheap boards that use complicated alps?
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 March 2016, 02:12:15 by klennkellon »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #1133 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 03:32:49 »
This is becuase my cat pulled the cable and the entire keyboard fell with some of the switches opened.
Okay, fair enough...

I just need some replacement click leafs and springs, are there any really crappy cheap boards that use complicated alps?
There are usually a few white Alps boards on ebay in the $15–20 range.

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
    • Bishop Computer Design web
« Reply #1134 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 06:04:13 »

« Last Edit: Thu, 03 March 2016, 06:06:11 by mrbishop »
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #1135 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 06:58:21 »
Show Image

Show Image
Show Image

That's awesome. Are those holes just for machine setup or do they serve a purpose on the tool?

My boards:
More

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #1136 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 06:59:54 »
Show Image

Show Image
Show Image

That's awesome. Are those holes just for machine setup or do they serve a purpose on the tool?
Just for holding the part during machining. But they could be used for a string to hang it or something.
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #1137 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 07:58:43 »
**** me, that looks good. Do they work well and how did you make it?

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #1138 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 08:01:56 »

not trying to detour the thread but i have a build log in my signature.

however to answer the question. yes they work. :D I own a small hobby CNC, i designed and machined them. i am making 5 in this batch and they will be sold with a percentage going to GH. i also have acrylic ones.
Projects

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #1139 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 08:57:10 »

not trying to detour the thread but i have a build log in my signature.

however to answer the question. yes they work. :D I own a small hobby CNC, i designed and machined them. i am making 5 in this batch and they will be sold with a percentage going to GH. i also have acrylic ones.
I'd definitely be in for one, preferably acrylic :D .

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #1140 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 09:03:19 »
Just won one of these in a Japan auction. Could be linear SKCL Greens or Grays... And look at those caps. :))

I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1141 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 09:05:04 »
Just won one of these in a Japan auction. Could be linear SKCL Greens or Grays... And look at those caps. :))

Show Image

That looks like it belongs in Dubai.

Nice get, and yes those caps...wow

Offline E3E

« Reply #1142 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 09:07:08 »

Show Image

The Japanese loved their linears!

Is this even a real keyboard? It looks like it could be a lapel pin.  :confused:

Offline S1llyC0ne

« Reply #1143 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 09:07:14 »
Congratulations, Blaise ! Seems like some kind of Ergo-Alps-Unicorn ^^

Offline E3E

« Reply #1144 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 09:08:06 »

Show Image

The Japanese loved their linears!

Is this even a real keyboard? It looks like it could be a lapel pin.  :confused:

If so, then those key caps would make for a hilariously tacky custom, or just give them to henz with their gold FMJ case. It'd fit well. :P

Lol, whoops. I quoted myself instead of editing. :P

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #1145 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 09:11:33 »

Show Image

Projects

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #1146 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 09:13:11 »
Yeah it's real, they have a silver and black version too. Looks like it might be SKBM greys which is disappointing but not bad regardless.

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #1147 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 13:02:05 »
i need some double shot kanji/en caps in my life
Projects

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #1148 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 13:07:50 »

I dunno about doubleshots by I'll have a bunch of dyesub JIS/EN coming my way soon.

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #1149 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 13:09:31 »

I dunno about doubleshots by I'll have a bunch of dyesub JIS/EN coming my way soon.

:eek:
sweet
all i have is Cherry MX boards right now. i'm kinda liking alps tho now that ive had a chance to play with them. i need to find a retailer for the switches.
where do you get your JIS/EN caps from?
Projects