Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2458514 times)

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
    • Bishop Computer Design web
Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1200 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 20:42:24 »
Last time I did that she was just fat.
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1201 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 21:12:02 »
Show Image

Done her restoration, finally. My Datapoint-branded Acer KB101A :)

Show Image

Show Image

Don't have to use her like this anymore:

Show Image

Nice board, but I really don't know what of all my vintage blue Alps boards is my favorite, heh.

Man you got all the goodies. Leading Edge DC 3014? Damn. You have so much SKCM Blue you wouldn't know what to do with it lol. How much do ya think you have spent on keyboards so far?

That's like asking a woman if they're pregnant!

So Eve is equatable is a fat woman? Lol. Wonder how many keyboards he will birth get next. :))
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
    • Bishop Computer Design web
« Reply #1202 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 21:13:04 »
Wonder if they will be 40% boards till they grow up.
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline Webserfer

« Reply #1203 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 21:28:59 »

I may of accidentally fried this board or at least the ships on it as while trying to repair the desktop its paired with I put voltage into some wires it shouldn't go and now throws up an error and doesn't respond.

So if I did kill it my question is, is it worth trying to repair? The circuit board looks like I can just cut the traces and solder to the switches. I saw some cheap keyboard controllers around.

Is it worth my time or are the switches weak, old or cheap to be worth it?

Anyone?

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #1204 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 21:37:14 »
Ha! I've probably spent $2000 to $3000 on keyboards. Fortunately I have a continual cycle of buying and selling so right now I'm only about $1500 in the hole until I start selling off the 34 WYSE I just bought and the 35+ keyboards I just got in from Japan. I'll have to inventory all this stuff which is the scary part...
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline E3E

« Reply #1205 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 00:20:40 »
Man you got all the goodies. Leading Edge DC 3014? Damn. You have so much SKCM Blue you wouldn't know what to do with it lol. How much do ya think you have spent on keyboards so far?

It took me a while to get them, but I worked smart, not stupidly expensive. The most expensive blue Alps board I got was $123 for a dinky Monterey K101 103, and it's not even that great. The price was thanks to the EMS shipping rate from China.

The cheapest boards have been $85 for a Leading Edge DC-2014 and $89 for the Leading Edge DC-3014 and $89 again for the Datapoint Acer KB101A. Otherwise, it's been $100 on average for every blue Alps board I own. So kind of pricy, but not ridiculously so.

Started with the NTC 6151N, then got the DC-2014, then got the FAME TH-5539, then the Monterey K101 103 (the back label is confusing), then the Leading Edge DC-3014, then the Focus FK-555, and finally the Acer KB101A. I'm also getting a Focus FK-2001, but it's going to be scrapped (it's just the PCB and plate and has missing caps-got it for $25) and is going to go into the Orion v2. My Orion v2 will likely go between Alps SKCM Blues and Alps SKCL (linear) Browns.

I wanted to put my Alps SKCM Neon Greens (or Lime, or Tactile Greens) in the Orion v2, but after restoring the keyboards, I just couldn't.

I've spent at least $2000 in this hobby so far; I'm not sure how much exactly. I try to be as frugal as possible.

Here's some typing videos of the Xerox keyboard with SKCM Green:

They are definitely my favorite Alps boards right now. Such nice caps, the switches feel nice on both early and old models, and the look is just so sleek and it's more slimline than any other vintage I've dealt with which is just so cool.

My FAME keyboard is my favorite, but that is because I personalized it and that made it very dear to me. If we're talking stock, then these take the cake.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 March 2016, 00:23:09 by E3E »

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1206 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 00:37:48 »
@E3E could you also post the sounds of skcm browns and skcl browns? I'm really interested on those 2 switches

Offline E3E

« Reply #1207 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 00:45:17 »
@E3E could you also post the sounds of skcm browns and skcl browns? I'm really interested on those 2 switches

I have no SKCM Browns in a board right now, but I can throw them in my other hotswappable Duck Eagle and record that for you with their original PBT caps if you want. I still have the terminal board the SKCL browns came in. They sound amazing in the plastic-cased board they came in. I don't know if they'll sound as pleasing in the Orion v2, but if they sound anything like that at all, then I will be very pleased to use them.

Like almost all Alps linears though, they ping like mad. Spring lubing is a good idea.

SKCM Brown and pine SKCM Neon Green are very similar but Brown is a bit more firm and rigid. I like Neons more, but SKCM Browns are nice.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1208 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 02:34:19 »

It took me a while to get them, but I worked smart, not stupidly expensive. The most expensive blue Alps board I got was $123 for a dinky Monterey K101 103, and it's not even that great. The price was thanks to the EMS shipping rate from China.

The cheapest boards have been $85 for a Leading Edge DC-2014 and $89 for the Leading Edge DC-3014 and $89 again for the Datapoint Acer KB101A. Otherwise, it's been $100 on average for every blue Alps board I own. So kind of pricy, but not ridiculously so.

Started with the NTC 6151N, then got the DC-2014, then got the FAME TH-5539, then the Monterey K101 103 (the back label is confusing), then the Leading Edge DC-3014, then the Focus FK-555, and finally the Acer KB101A. I'm also getting a Focus FK-2001, but it's going to be scrapped (it's just the PCB and plate and has missing caps-got it for $25) and is going to go into the Orion v2. My Orion v2 will likely go between Alps SKCM Blues and Alps SKCL (linear) Browns.

I wanted to put my Alps SKCM Neon Greens (or Lime, or Tactile Greens) in the Orion v2, but after restoring the keyboards, I just couldn't.

I've spent at least $2000 in this hobby so far; I'm not sure how much exactly. I try to be as frugal as possible.

Here's some typing videos of the Xerox keyboard with SKCM Green:

They are definitely my favorite Alps boards right now. Such nice caps, the switches feel nice on both early and old models, and the look is just so sleek and it's more slimline than any other vintage I've dealt with which is just so cool.

My FAME keyboard is my favorite, but that is because I personalized it and that made it very dear to me. If we're talking stock, then these take the cake.

Those are some amazing prices! Right now there is a DC-3014 bidding near $180. You sniped the **** out of those.

If you love the Xerox's so much then convert one! Those sounds really nice. The pine sounds like somewhat scratchier SKCM Orange while the bamboo's sound like SKCM Salmons. There is definitely a generational difference that can be heard in the tone. Sleek looking boards indeed. Hows the layout, could you get used to it from standard ANSI?

I've probaley spent less than 1k. Its not like I have a crazy budget. Avg board I buy is around 60-70. The Zenith was $70, the SGI was $60, G80 $40, Model M $40, and the most expensive I own right now is the V60 at $120. The most I ever spent on my former K70 RGB at $170. Not doing too bad at all. Plus when I buy switches to swap I always can sell the old switches and break even on those. Still need to sell some MX Clears and modded SKCM White Damp.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 March 2016, 02:37:23 by Mattr567 »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #1209 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 03:23:22 »
The total net amount of money I've spent on keyboards, converters, boxes, switches, pullers, soldering gear, tools, etc. is about £60, although I should be in the black again soon. I simply can't afford any more xD .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1210 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 08:47:46 »
The total net amount of money I've spent on keyboards, converters, boxes, switches, pullers, soldering gear, tools, etc. is about £60, although I should be in the black again soon. I simply can't afford any more xD .

Lucky dog.

I can never find enough  buy-low/sell-high  gear to make a dent.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1211 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 08:52:26 »

So if I did kill it my question is, is it worth trying to repair? The circuit board looks like I can just cut the traces and solder to the switches. I saw some cheap keyboard controllers around.

That is not a lot of info to go on. Are you talking about the old white Alps keyboard?

There are possibilities, but it may not be worth investing the time and effort unless you know that you really like that particular board.

Controllers are very different, and that thing is probably 25 years old or more.

If you can see what appears to be a localized problem, then maybe you can replace just that area.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #1212 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 09:18:42 »
Speaking of Blue Alps, I remember back when they were even cheaper than $85. I got my Samsung branded Chicony 5161 from a Goodwill auction (by accident!) and later sold it for the market price at the time... $60! And that board was in almost perfect condition!
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline E3E

« Reply #1213 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 14:45:23 »
Speaking of Blue Alps, I remember back when they were even cheaper than $85. I got my Samsung branded Chicony 5161 from a Goodwill auction (by accident!) and later sold it for the market price at the time... $60! And that board was in almost perfect condition!

EXCEPT FOR THE CRACKED CASE (twas just a tiny thing). Haha, just teasing. I actually have that bezel too, as it's where I sourced the super cool Samsung sticker for my FAME keyboard. It shall forever live on!

Yeah, Chyros has some good hook ups with universities and e-cyclers. In New Orleans, we don't have much, at least nothing close enough to just go out and nab. ComradeSniper (not in New Orleans), for instance, drives out 7 hours to his e-cycling contact. I wouldn't and can't do that.

Oh how I would love dirt cheap finds, but I'm comfy with $70-100 for a good vintage. The x4 Xerox find for $99 (they are individually worth SO much more than that, imo), and the $80-range blue Alps finds like this Datapoint branded Acer KB101A and the Leading Edge DC-3014 are some of my favorites and feel like real deals to me.

The Focus FK-555 I got in immaculate condition is also something that's very prized because of how rare they are and how much more so it is rare to see any old Alps board in perfect condition. Score, especially for being such a hefty and well-built board! That one has one of my favorite typing sounds for blue Alps along with my FAME. I guess the metal-backed ones really are some of the nicest acoustically.

Offline Webserfer

« Reply #1214 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 09:51:42 »

That is not a lot of info to go on. Are you talking about the old white Alps keyboard?

There are possibilities, but it may not be worth investing the time and effort unless you know that you really like that particular board.

Controllers are very different, and that thing is probably 25 years old or more.

If you can see what appears to be a localized problem, then maybe you can replace just that area.

Oh right sorry I removed the images as to not clutter, Its the PcDirect old board on the last page, here's the album link if you need it http://imgur.com/a/iKZVX

I actually (somehow) got it to work again on my main PC :D So I guess ignore the part about the keyboard controller :P

Its from about 93 so at least 22 years.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1215 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 10:02:10 »

I actually (somehow) got it to work again on my main PC

Sometimes we forget that not everything can be hot-plugged like USB.
A PS/2 or older keyboard must be discovered at boot-up.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #1216 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 16:33:13 »
Please guys, stop killing off these old Zeniths D: . They've got looks, character, beautiful badges, NKRO and are built infinitely better than anything you could possibly transplant the switches into D: . They really don't deserve such a cruel fate :'( .

:cool: crossposting: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=76021.msg2098103#msg2098103

| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #1217 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 18:19:08 »
Anybody have any idea how I could fix the casing on my Focus?

The clamps on the bottom are broken, so the bottom half of the top shell just kind of hovers and is floppy.

Offline E3E

« Reply #1218 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 19:10:25 »

The clamps on the bottom are broken, so the bottom half of the top shell just kind of hovers and is floppy.

If you have any scrap ABS around that matches the color, you could weld the plastic and fill any gaps that way. That's the only way you'll get a bond that's strong enough to withstand the kind of stress that tabs handle, I'd say. There are some plastic bonding glues and pastes, but I'm not so sure on their durability.

I fixed some broken tabs on a board by using some ABS sheet, plast-aid pool repair paste that bonds to anything acrylic-based, and plastic welding. It held up okay, but I still never plan on opening the board ever again after that.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #1219 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 19:19:27 »

If you have any scrap ABS around that matches the color, you could weld the plastic and fill any gaps that way. That's the only way you'll get a bond that's strong enough to withstand the kind of stress that tabs handle, I'd say. There are some plastic bonding glues and pastes, but I'm not so sure on their durability.

I fixed some broken tabs on a board by using some ABS sheet, plast-aid pool repair paste that bonds to anything acrylic-based, and plastic welding. It held up okay, but I still never plan on opening the board ever again after that.

I actually found some super glue lying around, i could just use three small dabs of it on the corner and the middle, then if I need to open it I could just use a butter knife and some goo gone.

I'll be sure to finish up tinkering with the insides before I do this. I've been using tape to keep it closed in the mean time but it does not grip well to the plastic and peels off in an hour, even if I don't touch it at all.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #1220 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 21:46:47 »
I actually have a new idea. It won't look as pretty but it's much easier to work with.

1. Drill a hole through both parts of the keyboard

2. Put a bolt through the keyboard and use some super glue to hold the head of the bolt to the keyboard

3. Put a nut/washer on the part of the bolt sticking through the bottom of the keyboard

Offline S1llyC0ne

« Reply #1221 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 02:25:38 »
I actually have a new idea. It won't look as pretty but it's much easier to work with.

2. Put a bolt through the keyboard and use some super glue to hold the head of the bolt to the keyboard

3. Put a nut/washer on the part of the bolt sticking through the bottom of the keyboard

Show Image

This is a mightily ugly fix !

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #1222 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 02:32:01 »

Show Image

This is a mightily ugly fix !

I could also put the top of the bolt inside of the case, glued to the inner shell, so the only thing protruding is the bottom

Offline Webserfer

« Reply #1223 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 10:39:23 »

I actually (somehow) got it to work again on my main PC

Sometimes we forget that not everything can be hot-plugged like USB.
A PS/2 or older keyboard must be discovered at boot-up.

Dont worry I used to use this thing with its original machine I know all about the reboot needed stuff
. The amount of times ive had to reboot my machine recently for testing this KB is to many.

Show Image

Why not just roll with it and give the board an industrial theme? Bolts, metal, worn pain ect? then you could say no one owns a board like yours :D

Offline E3E

« Reply #1224 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 12:47:23 »

Show Image

Depending on how the tabs lock into the case, I bet there are some ways you can do this pretty seamlessly. Because of how the Xerox Docutech's tabs locked in, there was no easy way to fix the tabs without it looking unsightly, which I felt was NOT an option for those boards.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1225 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 19:06:42 »
So I have demik's HHKB with me here and I don't get the "SKCM Orange is the closet switch to Topre" thing at all. There barely similar. By far the closet is SKCM Cream Damp or White Damp. They are 85% Topre. I think the reason I was so harsh toward Damp Alps switches previously is the weight, a 70g Damp switch feels mushy. If Alps had a faster return rate as well then it would be very close to Topre.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #1226 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 20:06:08 »
So I have demik's HHKB with me here and I don't get the "SKCM Orange is the closet switch to Topre" thing at all. There barely similar. By far the closet is SKCM Cream Damp or White Damp. They are 85% Topre. I think the reason I was so harsh toward Damp Alps switches previously is the weight, a 70g Damp switch feels mushy. If Alps had a faster return rate as well then it would be very close to Topre.
SKCM Neon Green are closer yet than SKCM Cream Damp. They don't even feel like other Alps switches.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline E3E

« Reply #1227 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 20:07:03 »

I tried both Damped (I call them Dampened, but hey) Cream yesterday as well as Topre, and I personally think that a damped cream slider in a tactile brown or tactile green housing feels most like Topre.

Though I prefer the feeling of Alps to Topre, to be honest, so I'd never make a board with the intent to simulate Topre. The main difference, I think, between the feel Topre and Alps is the bottom out. Hard clacks from bottoming out on Alps, but being rubber, of course Topre has a gentle bottom out. This is why damped Alps switches are part of the equation.

I was also looking at damped cream's tactile leaves, and it looks far sharper than even Alps SKCM Salmon. It's got a lot more tactility. Soon, I'll have a bamboo Black Alps Dell AT101W to compare leaves with to see if damped has its own unique leaf or if it's shared with blacks.

I find damped switches alone to feel like uncoordinated Topre, or what you'd get if you crossed Alps with a rubber dome (Acer switch?). It's not very smooth, it's wobbly because it's Alps.

Mattr, you talk about the return rate. Would this mean an even higher weighted spring would be needed?

EDIT: Just adding a disclaimer that I'm new to both Topre and SKCM Damped Cream, so these are just initial impressions!
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 March 2016, 20:11:00 by E3E »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1228 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 20:39:38 »

I tried both Damped (I call them Dampened, but hey) Cream yesterday as well as Topre, and I personally think that a damped cream slider in a tactile brown or tactile green housing feels most like Topre.

Though I prefer the feeling of Alps to Topre, to be honest, so I'd never make a board with the intent to simulate Topre. The main difference, I think, between the feel Topre and Alps is the bottom out. Hard clacks from bottoming out on Alps, but being rubber, of course Topre has a gentle bottom out. This is why damped Alps switches are part of the equation.

I was also looking at damped cream's tactile leaves, and it looks far sharper than even Alps SKCM Salmon. It's got a lot more tactility. Soon, I'll have a bamboo Black Alps Dell AT101W to compare leaves with to see if damped has its own unique leaf or if it's shared with blacks.

I find damped switches alone to feel like uncoordinated Topre, or what you'd get if you crossed Alps with a rubber dome (Acer switch?). It's not very smooth, it's wobbly because it's Alps.

Mattr, you talk about the return rate. Would this mean an even higher weighted spring would be needed?

EDIT: Just adding a disclaimer that I'm new to both Topre and SKCM Damped Cream, so these are just initial impressions!

Yea. I used  to daily a AEKII with almost NIB level Cream Damp Alps and I agree with you. I just dont get the notion that SKCM Orange is the closet. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Kinda. By return rate I mean how fast the switch goes back to its normal position. Cherry MX goes back very quickly while Topre is in the middle and Alps is last. Alps being slow kinda bugs me on longer unit spacebars. For Alps I guess a heavier weighted spring would be needed. To compensate for the design making it slow? Since Cherry MX can be quite light yet have a faster return rate.

Offline E3E

« Reply #1229 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 21:05:03 »
As far as tactility, I'd say that SKCM Brown and SKCM Neon Green are the closest to Topre because of a high, yet rounded feel, but no Alps switch feels like Topre on bottom out aside from the Damped variety because of the rubber bumpers. So a mix of those varieties would be closest. I'd imagine that bocah considers the SKCM Orange switch to be close to topre because it's smooth and light. It does have a very pleasant feel.

Yeah, I get you with return rate. Alps does use a tiny spring compared to Cherry. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #1230 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 21:53:59 »
SKCM brown is really close to topre.

The "thud" is quite noticeable on browns.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #1231 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 22:29:05 »
Industrial FK-2001!

I'm dead serious, I will post pics when I get the chance. I will fix the clamps and paint it grey.

EDIT:

Instead I might buy a beat up yellowed FK-2001 on Ebay and paint over it instead, so I don't have to fix the damned clamps.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 March 2016, 22:40:17 by klennkellon »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1232 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 22:50:02 »
Industrial FK-2001!

I'm dead serious, I will post pics when I get the chance. I will fix the clamps and paint it grey.

EDIT:

Instead I might buy a beat up yellowed FK-2001 on Ebay and paint over it instead, so I don't have to fix the damned clamps.

Focus beat ya to it, a completely black FK-2001 exists. See this thread from 5 years ago https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=21106.0

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1234 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 00:02:47 »

Focus beat ya to it, a completely black FK-2001 exists. See this thread from 5 years ago https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=21106.0

One went on eBay not too long ago, actually, and for hardly anything.

Show Image

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Black-FOCUS-FK-2001-type-Clicky-Keyboard-AT-XT-Mold-Injected-keys-/252241606418?hash=item3abac57712%3Ag%3ASbYAAOSwoydWjq3o&nma=true&si=9Ba%252FCfHEbEBqYK8fClKFuHZquqs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Oh yea, I saw that a while back. It was probably for some special/specific system or something.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #1235 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 02:35:23 »
Industrial FK-2001!

EDIT:

Nice, but it's black, I'm talking grey like an Industrial Model M.

Offline spanyam

• Enjoy the gift of life!
« Reply #1236 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 02:05:54 »
After enjoying a KBP V60 with Matias Linears for a couple of months, I just built a 60% Infinity (using Hasu's ALPS64 PCB) with SKCM Orange Alps. It's an absolute joy to type on, and I'm really liking the DSA keycap profile. Here's a pic:

Unfortunately, the second-hand keycap set I bought is missing one 1.5u, but PMK will be shipping me a 4 pack soon :D Loving these switches already, especially the sound.
SKCM Orange ALPS on Infinity 60% bent-metal case w/ hasu ALPS64 PCB and PBT blank DSA caps | KBP V60 w/ Matias Quiet Linears | IBM Model M | QFR w/ MX Blues

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1237 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 05:24:40 »
After enjoying a KBP V60 with Matias Linears for a couple of months, I just built a 60% Infinity (using Hasu's ALPS64 PCB) with SKCM Orange Alps. It's an absolute joy to type on, and I'm really liking the DSA keycap profile. Here's a pic:

Show Image

Unfortunately, the second-hand keycap set I bought is missing one 1.5u, but PMK will be shipping me a 4 pack soon :D Loving these switches already, especially the sound.

I didn't know SP made Alps DSA keycaps!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #1238 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 07:37:51 »

Show Image

I didn't know SP made Alps DSA keycaps!
Yep, they've been a part of the Infinity kit on Massdrop since the beginning. However I don't think they are a stock item in the PMK store, at least not as a full set.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline spanyam

« Reply #1239 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 07:44:32 »
Yep, they've been a part of the Infinity kit on Massdrop since the beginning. However I don't think they are a stock item in the PMK store, at least not as a full set.

Yeah not as a full set unfortunately. But if all you're going for is the Infinity hacker layout, you can build the full set by buying blank key packs from them. If you want a more standard layout though (namely 1.25u and 2.25u keys), then you will be missing pieces.
SKCM Orange ALPS on Infinity 60% bent-metal case w/ hasu ALPS64 PCB and PBT blank DSA caps | KBP V60 w/ Matias Quiet Linears | IBM Model M | QFR w/ MX Blues

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #1240 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 07:51:00 »

Yeah not as a full set unfortunately. But if all you're going for is the Infinity hacker layout, you can build the full set by buying blank key packs from them. If you want a more standard layout though (namely 1.25u and 2.25u keys), then you will be missing pieces.
What about the 6U spacebar? That's not in stock, is it?

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline spanyam

« Reply #1241 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 09:37:00 »

Oh yeah, that too. So I guess with the provided pieces in stock, it's not possible to build any full alps set.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #1242 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 19:50:34 »

http://pimpmykeyboard.com/dcs-alps-mount-space-bar-pack-of-1/
http://pimpmykeyboard.com/dsa-alps-mount-space-bar-pack-of-1/

Offline spanyam

« Reply #1243 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 20:32:30 »
http://pimpmykeyboard.com/dcs-alps-mount-space-bar-pack-of-1/

Oooh, I didn't realize they had multiple size options on the DCS spacebar, or that 6u was the size of their DSA spacebar! So, given all this, one can construct a full ALPS DSA set (infinity hacker layout or hhkb layout) with these:

http://pimpmykeyboard.com/dsa-alps-mount-1-75-space-pack-of-4/
http://pimpmykeyboard.com/dsa-alps-mount-1-5-space-pack-of-4/
http://pimpmykeyboard.com/dsa-alps-mount-1-space-pack-of-10/
http://pimpmykeyboard.com/dsa-alps-mount-2-space-pack-of-4/

You'll be limited to black for a few of them, but overall not bad, given that they're decent PBT.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #1244 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 15:49:06 »
I know some people were asking about the stuff I was preparing to sell, including group 1 of my Japanese stuff. If interested, look here: http://www.ebay.com/sch/blaise170/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #1245 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 16:38:57 »
I know some people were asking about the stuff I was preparing to sell, including group 1 of my Japanese stuff. If interested, look here: http://www.ebay.com/sch/blaise170/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

That Lucky Board 7 looks awesome. glws!

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #1246 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 22:07:09 »
Just got meself a LE-2014, I like it but I like my newly acquired Omnikey and Acer board more(pics coming soon)

It is super banana edition, although the flash might hide it a little. 

I like the LE logo very much, although I wish it were the more blueish one. 

The caps were really dirty, and you can really feel the difference when blue alps is dirty and when its clean. 

Should I have used a NSFW tag on that one?

After cleaning, you can really see the yellowing on the caps in this picture.

All done! I also cleaned some of the switches and they feel much better now.

Offline spanyam

« Reply #1247 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 22:10:12 »
All done! I also cleaned some of the switches and they feel much better now.

Awesome! Any special procedure involved in cleaning ALPS switches?

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #1248 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 22:16:34 »
Just make sure you clean every part of the switch really.  The slider and inner housing is the most important part.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1249 on: Fri, 25 March 2016, 22:25:58 »
Found this on ebay, uses some type of Cream Alps switch, may be SKCM but uses a Alps lock switch that's for sure. Thin, but black Apple style caps. http://www.ebay.com/itm/291719528189

Would look cool on a AEK.