Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2458907 times)

Offline jacobolus

Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1300 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 22:25:15 »
> Isn't that just 'OEM profile?

No. Cf. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=68550

Offline E3E

« Reply #1301 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 22:49:12 »
> Isn't that just 'OEM profile?

No. Cf. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=68550

I've seen these a bunch, but I had no idea you created them yourself. Did you get the acrylic mounts made somewhere or do you have a workshop for all that kind of stuff? Looks really well-made.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #1302 on: Mon, 04 April 2016, 22:51:46 »
I used the waterjet and laser cutter at Techshop in SF.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #1303 on: Tue, 05 April 2016, 02:41:01 »
Now we can finally see the real value of these switches. For something that is roughly 3 decades old the price has been ridiculous.

Tell that to the people who pay loads for Cherry stuff. :P

I mean, everyone can appreciate a nice set of OG Cherry doubleshots. I would love to have Cherry profile for Alps - its my favorite. I know it exist on a certain fame board, but otherwise no.

I actually prefer the Alps Electric profile, but I'm biased.

Next best. Isn't that just 'OEM profile?'
If not exactly the it is very close. I prefer it too actually.

MX blue and SKCM blue isn't even a comparison, the Alps are so much better in so many ways it's no wonder Cherry sold comparatively **** all in the late 80s :P .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
    • Bishop Computer Design web
« Reply #1304 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 07:53:44 »
Alps + PBT =  :D

Really happy with these caps, for $10 cant go wrong. They make using the KBP V60 so much better. Going to mod the plate so i can use ISO left shift and HHKB right shift since the PCB has support for them both.

Show Image

i'm in love with those caps!!! i need more of this in my life!
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1305 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 13:22:10 »
Now we can finally see the real value of these switches. For something that is roughly 3 decades old the price has been ridiculous.

Tell that to the people who pay loads for Cherry stuff. :P

I mean, everyone can appreciate a nice set of OG Cherry doubleshots. I would love to have Cherry profile for Alps - its my favorite. I know it exist on a certain fame board, but otherwise no.

I actually prefer the Alps Electric profile, but I'm biased.

Next best. Isn't that just 'OEM profile?'
If not exactly the it is very close. I prefer it too actually.

MX blue and SKCM blue isn't even a comparison, the Alps are so much better in so many ways it's no wonder Cherry sold comparatively **** all in the late 80s :P .

Yea. I even prefer SKCM White to MX Blue. I just wish the SKCM Blue prices were a bit lower of course.
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline GooNyang

« Reply #1306 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 17:06:32 »
Not sure if this is the right thread but I just got a MacKey SKB-102MJ from Blaise170's ebay and I cannot identify the switch  :eek:

Could you help me identify this alps (not sure if its clone or alps) switch?

IMG_1220 by GooNyang, on Flickr

IMG_1209 by GooNyang, on Flickr

IMG_1215 by GooNyang, on Flickr

IMG_1219 by GooNyang, on Flickr

IMG_1217 by GooNyang, on Flickr

Seems like white alps but it doesnt feel clicky. It feels linear and there was no tactile/clicky leaf. HELPPP and Thanks!

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #1307 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 17:58:18 »
Look genuine to me - proper complicated switchplate, slits and long tabs.

If there is no tactile or click leaf it must indeed be linear, however the upper shell is missing the LED hole. That's unprecedented for Alps.

Could you make a clear shot showing the lettering and numbering on the top shell? That should help quite a lot in determining if it's genuine. Some Alps clones were actually made using discarded, genuine Alps shells, but had incomplete numbering.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1308 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 18:00:55 »
Not sure if this is the right thread but I just got a MacKey SKB-102MJ from Blaise170's ebay and I cannot identify the switch  :eek:

Could you help me identify this alps (not sure if its clone or alps) switch?

Show Image
IMG_1220 by GooNyang, on Flickr

Show Image
IMG_1209 by GooNyang, on Flickr

Show Image
IMG_1215 by GooNyang, on Flickr

Show Image
IMG_1219 by GooNyang, on Flickr

Show Image
IMG_1217 by GooNyang, on Flickr

Seems like white alps but it doesnt feel clicky. It feels linear and there was no tactile/clicky leaf. HELPPP and Thanks!

Cool board. Those are genuine Alps. SKCL Cream then? It should have a cut out like this: http://i.imgur.com/Q7wvXUm.jpg

Offline E3E

« Reply #1309 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 18:01:40 »

Cool board. Those are genuine Alps. SKCL Cream then? Does it have a cut out in the case? Like this: http://i.imgur.com/Q7wvXUm.jpg

Nah, linear cream has LED cut-outs.

I think it's possible that the previous (before Blaise) owner linear modded the keyboard and removed the leaves before it was sold. I wouldn't be surprised.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1310 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 18:03:06 »

If there is no tactile or click leaf it must indeed be linear, however the upper shell is missing the LED hole. That's unprecedented for Alps.

Could you make a clear shot showing the lettering and numbering on the top shell? That should help quite a lot in determining if it's genuine. Some Alps clones were actually made using discarded, genuine Alps shells, but had incomplete numbering.

Wow, didn't know about clones doing that! It also has a complicated switch plate.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1311 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 18:03:52 »

Cool board. Those are genuine Alps. SKCL Cream then? Does it have a cut out in the case? Like this: http://i.imgur.com/Q7wvXUm.jpg

Nah, linear cream has LED cut-outs.

I think it's possible that the previous (before Blaise) owner linear modded the keyboard and removed the leaves before it was sold. I wouldn't be surprised.

Looks that way. Or weird ass clones like what Chyros said.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #1312 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 18:23:35 »
Alps definitely made the switch. My money is also on white SKCM switches with the click leaves removed.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #1313 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 19:24:17 »
Weird. Those are usually supposed to have simplified black ALPS.

Then again, StrongMan (almost certainly that keyboard's OEM) did sometimes like to change between ALPS variants for no obvious reason...
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #1314 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 22:50:31 »
Hi, sorry I haven't had a chance to reply to your eBay message yet. I honestly have no idea what switches they are. It's possible that it might be a simplified Alps switch that hasn't been documented, since Strong Man typically used Alps SKBL/SKBM. As far as I know, Alps SKBL didn't have the LED cutouts, which also fits the description.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1315 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 23:02:47 »
Hi, sorry I haven't had a chance to reply to your eBay message yet. I honestly have no idea what switches they are. It's possible that it might be a simplified Alps switch that hasn't been documented, since Strong Man typically used Alps SKBL/SKBM. As far as I know, Alps SKBL didn't have the LED cutouts, which also fits the description.

Well this stirs the pot. SKBM/SKBL isn't talked about much. One thing I noticed is that the slider (maybe its the pic but) looks like a off white, but not a cream either. That's points to SKBL a bit. The other thing is that it uses a complicated switchplate so wouldn't it make it a SKCM/SKCL?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #1316 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 02:33:16 »
It's probably easier to determine what it is if we see the top shell really.

Offline GooNyang

« Reply #1317 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 17:56:02 »

Yes. Sorry for the late reply. Here are some images. Not sure if they are clear enough to see but here they are :)

IMG_1225 by GooNyang, on Flickr

IMG_1226 by GooNyang, on Flickr

There are no ALPS logo but there seems to be weird one digit number with a letter upside-down on the bottom left.

Also, the keyboard chatters like crazy with my imate adb converter while my apple standard keyboard has no issue.

Well this stirs the pot. SKBM/SKBL isn't talked about much. One thing I noticed is that the slider (maybe its the pic but) looks like a off white, but not a cream either. That's points to SKBL a bit. The other thing is that it uses a complicated switchplate so wouldn't it make it a SKCM/SKCL?

Yes you are correct, the sliders do not appear to be cream color; they are more white.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #1318 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 18:43:08 »
The mould numbering appears to be incomplete on those. In fact, they look just like those from Type III Alps clones. Those have a simplified contact design, though. That said, I'm doubting these are genuine Alps.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1319 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 19:10:01 »
I'm an Alps convert. Got my first Alps board today, an M0116 with Orange, and I'm in love. I thought before today Topre was the pinnacle of tactile switched; now I don't know which I like more!

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #1320 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 19:14:49 »
I'm an Alps convert. Got my first Alps board today, an M0116 with Orange, and I'm in love. I thought before today Topre was the pinnacle of tactile switched; now I don't know which I like more!
Haha yeah they're my two favourite types of tactile switches too xD . Welcome to the club ;) .

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1321 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 19:16:30 »

Welcome my friend! There are many more tasty Alps switches like SKCL Green or SKCM Blue. SKCM Orange is a great first switch. My first was SKCM Black :confused: Plus you have some of the best Alps caps on that M0116. I wonder if we could convert Demik lol. He has never tried Alps in any shape or form.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 April 2016, 19:19:57 by Mattr567 »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1322 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 19:18:40 »

Welcome my friend! There are many more tasty Alps switches like SKCL Green or SKCM Blue. SKCM Orange is a great first switch. My first was SKCM Black :confused: Plus you have some of the best Alps caps on that M0116. I wonder if we could convert Demik lol. He has never tried Alps in any shape or form.

Green and Blue are next on my hit list!

The M0116 I chose for the cap selection as well. Mad thanks to xveamvx.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1323 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 19:43:31 »

Green and Blue are next on my hit list!

The M0116 I chose for the cap selection as well. Mad thanks to xveamvx.

I have a switch tester I could do a tour of soon with a TON of Alps. SKCM White, Blue, Cream Damp, White Damp, Orange, Salmon, Amber, SKCL Green and Yellow, Matias Click, and a XM Clone.

I'd be happy to send it around sometime soon. I have some Tai Hao Dolch doubleshots on it, so the caps aren't crap.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 April 2016, 22:02:03 by Mattr567 »

Offline StormyMonday

« Reply #1324 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 21:13:17 »

No squishy boobs, but satisfying, none the less, eh?   ;D

Offline GooNyang

« Reply #1325 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 22:18:20 »
The mould numbering appears to be incomplete on those. In fact, they look just like those from Type III Alps clones. Those have a simplified contact design, though. That said, I'm doubting these are genuine Alps.

damn. Thank you for answering my question (btw I love watching you review videos with vintage alps keyboard!) :thumb:

I love my orange alps. My personal favorite all time (prefer them over green and yellow alps), I love tactile switches! My next goal is to find brown alps board (which is almost impossible I heard.  :confused:)

Offline E3E

« Reply #1326 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 22:26:22 »

Yeah, but these have actual complicated contact plates, which is strange! I don't think I've seen clones with that, but I might not have been to thorough in reading up on the different clones.

I love my orange alps. My personal favorite all time (prefer them over green and yellow alps), I love tactile switches! My next goal is to find brown alps board (which is almost impossible I heard.  :confused:)

Orange Alps are pretty nice. Out of the most common switches, my favorites are SKCM Blue, SKCL Green, and SKCM Orange. Brown tactile Alps are not hard to find (remember there is brown linear as well, which are a lot harder to find), but only because of the seeming abundance of IBM 5140 luggable computers that ALWAYS have them. Otherwise, they would be almost as rare as tactile green and linear brown, I'd say.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1327 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 22:54:31 »

Yeah, but these have actual complicated contact plates, which is strange! I don't think I've seen clones with that, but I might not have been to thorough in reading up on the different clones.

Yea, those don't look simple to me! Who knows with clones, there are so many  :confused:
Orange Alps are pretty nice. Out of the most common switches, my favorites are SKCM Blue, SKCL Green, and SKCM Orange. Brown tactile Alps are not hard to find (remember there is brown linear as well, which are a lot harder to find), but only because of the seeming abundance of IBM 5140 luggable computers that ALWAYS have them. Otherwise, they would be almost as rare as tactile green and linear brown, I'd say.

Yea, those don't look simple to me! I still have my money on them being genuine Alps at least, I have never heard of a clone replicating a complicated switch plate :confused:

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1328 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 23:10:12 »
So I went patent hunting.

Started from the SKCL Lock patent (https://goo.gl/ikq4pY) and followed the trail.

Findings:
Clicky SKCM: https://goo.gl/NGbOzq
Simplified/clone: https://goo.gl/mNXLlr
SKFR? https://goo.gl/0MXf3R
Acer's Alps clone: https://goo.gl/j6P0Yp

And for fun Key Tronic's early capacitive switch: https://goo.gl/q9Hz4g

« Last Edit: Mon, 18 April 2016, 23:24:17 by Mattr567 »

Offline E3E

« Reply #1329 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 00:43:15 »

Started from the SKCL Lock patent (https://goo.gl/ikq4pY) and followed the trail.

Findings:

Show Image

Wow this looks so good. I love seeing patent drawings.

EDIT: Should've just read the patent, lol.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 April 2016, 00:45:15 by E3E »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #1330 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 03:06:44 »
Here’s the Alps plate spring patent:
https://www.google.com/patents/US4613737A

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1331 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 04:19:43 »

Findings:

Show Image

Nice drawing. So old already! (1992)
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1332 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 08:22:31 »

Findings:

Show Image

>1992
>old

;_;

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1333 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 08:55:09 »

Findings:

Show Image

>1992
>old

;_;

For me, it's old. I'm from 1988. What do you consider old then? Altair 8800 with NO keyboard?

Offline pwade3

« Reply #1334 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 12:37:21 »
My alps game isn't very strong, but I've got a board missing some keys. Are there any replacement sets out there that have a bigass enter?

Offline GooNyang

« Reply #1335 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 12:47:19 »

Is it this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AS-IS-Vintage-1986-IBM-PC-Convertible-Model-5140-Luggable-Laptop-Parts-Repair-/291729528659?hash=item43ec6f5753%3Ag%3A9soAAOSwsN9XAxRl&nma=true&si=CkNQnPv3ZaynL5%252Fg5CHDj3E2GZQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Are there any ways to get it working on normal pc??

Findings:

Show Image

Please someone make a poster of the patent!!   :))

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1336 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 12:51:27 »
My alps game isn't very strong, but I've got a board missing some keys. Are there any replacement sets out there that have a bigass enter?

Unfortunately there aren't. You'd have to find a board with a similar layout to swap caps.

Is it this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AS-IS-Vintage-1986-IBM-PC-Convertible-Model-5140-Luggable-Laptop-Parts-Repair-/291729528659?hash=item43ec6f5753%3Ag%3A9soAAOSwsN9XAxRl&nma=true&si=CkNQnPv3ZaynL5%252Fg5CHDj3E2GZQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Are there any ways to get it working on normal pc??

Yes that's the 5140 with SKCM Brown Alps. Unless you get the laptop working again, I don't think it's a good candidate for a standalone keyboard. Either you transplant the switches or you get the PC working. Otherwise it's just a PCB with a plate and switches.

Offline pwade3

« Reply #1337 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 12:56:59 »

Unfortunately there aren't. You'd have to find a board with a similar layout to swap caps.

Thanks. That's a bummer though, looks like this guy will require significantly more elbow grease as well too then.   :-\

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1338 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 13:17:55 »
Alps bigass Enter shouldn't be hard to find. Many (most?) of the mid-late-1980s-early-1990s boards had them. Modern Enters are the difficult ones.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline pwade3

« Reply #1339 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 13:19:52 »
Alps bigass Enter shouldn't be hard to find. Many (most?) of the mid-late-1980s-early-1990s boards had them. Modern Enters are the difficult ones.

I've got the enter key, it's the fact that the keys are a bit yellowed that complicates things.

Offline Khers

• Schrödinger's box
« Reply #1340 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 13:21:46 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 08:36:18 by Khers »

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1341 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 14:17:39 »

Can you compare the Alps with the Topre? What's so nice about Alps compared to the One True Cup Rubber SwitchTM :P (just joking)

Offline Keycap

« Reply #1342 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 14:26:37 »
Come on man, Black Alps aren't that bad. I prefer them to White Alps, strangely enough. I guess I'm a linear and tactile switch fan, but I do like clicky switches.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1343 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 14:36:15 »
Come on man, Black Alps aren't that bad. I prefer them to White Alps, strangely enough. I guess I'm a linear and tactile switch fan, but I do like clicky switches.

They aren't terrible, but not a great representation of Alps for a first impression.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1344 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 14:41:52 »

Can you compare the Alps with the Topre? What's so nice about Alps compared to the One True Cup Rubber SwitchTM :P (just joking)

I'll have to give a more thorough review some time, but for now the M0116 can't be used as I don't have the converter. I can pretend to type on it (all the switches are exceptionally sturdy and smooth), but I plan on harvesting them for a Clueboard, so that's when I'll do my final thoughts!  :p

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1345 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 14:46:08 »

I'll have to give a more thorough review some time, but for now the M0116 can't be used as I don't have the converter. I can pretend to type on it (all the switches are exceptionally sturdy and smooth), but I plan on harvesting them for a Clueboard, so that's when I'll do my final thoughts!  :p

Cool! Clueboard sounds promising though I'd probably get a FC660(C).

Offline E3E

« Reply #1346 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 16:44:56 »

I think a Clueboard sounds like an excellent candidate to start your Alps journey (and a fantastic endgame choice as well; I know a lot of people like FC660s).

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1347 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 16:59:59 »

I think a Clueboard sounds like an excellent candidate to start your Alps journey (and a fantastic endgame choice as well; I know a lot of people like FC660s).

The S doesn't come with Alps, or does it?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1348 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 17:02:28 »

I think the FC660 is Cherry MX and Topre only, but with skully's Clueboard PCB you can use Alps. Plus, fully programmable!

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1349 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 17:03:56 »

I think the FC660 is Cherry MX and Topre only, but with skully's Clueboard PCB you can use Alps. Plus, fully programmable!

That's cool, didn't knew that.

So much to find out and to try still... I've only scratched the surface or so it seems.