Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2458898 times)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1600 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 06:59:38 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Put some interesting non-sculpted cylindrical caps from a typewriter onto my Hammer Alps Eagle.  They're actually pretty pleasant to type on since the case has a natural incline, but it's just a shame that the mods don't fit with the profile.

I've been looking around for the different typewriters that used alps caps- which one did you harvest from? those caps are really attractive!

I've got an SGI case and plate and PCB, but no switches or caps :( I think it has an offset capslock, so I need to get a set with one, or else it'll be wonky as all hell.
I love the Orange Alps on my M0116, but sorta wish they were a bit heavier- are there any springs available for alps to make them a bit heavier?
Try salmons. Though other springs like blacks or white should work as well I guess.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline dante

« Reply #1601 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 08:34:15 »
Between Zealios and their upcoming silent mods and now this Matias is going to have a very tough time...

https://uccu.cool3c.com/projects/266

It looks like i-Rocks is working with alps.tw to develop a Alps switch with optional sound dampening AND MX keycap compatibility.

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #1602 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 10:14:19 »
interesting. I wonder if they had to compromise the feel in order to get enough space for the mx stem in there.

Offline S1llyC0ne

« Reply #1603 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 10:21:33 »
I wonder if the stem is as steady as the original one

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Offline need

« Reply #1604 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 10:53:28 »
It's gonna be good, alp.tw surly knows what he's doing.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #1605 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 12:20:51 »
It looks like i-Rocks is working with alps.tw to develop a Alps switch with optional sound dampening AND MX keycap compatibility.
Where by “Alps switch” you mean new type of tactile leaf we haven’t seen before, non-Alps-compatible spring, non-Alps compatible pinout with a big plastic blob sticking out the bottom, totally new type of slider with MX keycap mount, roughly APC / "type OA1" style contact, and big square housing shell.

Could be a nice switch (probably better than any tactile MX switch, but that’s a very low bar), but it doesn’t have much to do with Alps beyond possibly the original inspiration for the click/tactile leaf.

What I want to see remade are clicky SMK switches, and something similar to Alps or Marquardt plate spring switches.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 May 2016, 12:23:53 by jacobolus »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #1606 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 12:23:30 »
Where by “Alps switch” you mean new type of tactile leaf we haven’t seen before, non-Alps-compatible spring, non-Alps compatible pinout with a big plastic blob sticking out the bottom, totally new type of slider with MX keycap mount, roughly APC / "type OA1" style contact, and big square housing shell.

Could be a nice switch (probably better than any tactile MX switch, but that’s a very low bar), but it doesn’t have much to do with Alps beyond possibly the original inspiration for the click/tactile leaf.
Yeah, I agree completely, this isn't really that Alpsy at all when you think about it. And tbh the idea of a tactile leaf wasn't even invented by Alps, so it could have been based on anything xD .

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1607 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 12:29:33 »
Marquardt plate spring switches.

If these are what I've been calling Marquardt butterfly switches....all of the yes. Do plate Alps feel like the Marquardt butterfly switches you showed me in SF?

Offline quasistellar

« Reply #1608 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 12:30:02 »
Between Zealios and their upcoming silent mods and now this Matias is going to have a very tough time...

https://uccu.cool3c.com/projects/266

I can't read that very well, but just looking at the pictures, it looks pretty cool.  Only problem for me is that they've kept one of the things I don't love about Cherry MX, which is the 4mm stroke.  Those force curves look pretty nice, though--very flat after the tactile point (which I like).

Is there any info on how to get these or how much they cost?  I saw some prices listed in YUAN but that seems reeeaaaallly high when converted to USD

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #1609 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 12:38:30 »
Marquardt plate spring switches.

If these are what I've been calling Marquardt butterfly switches....all of the yes. Do plate Alps feel like the Marquardt butterfly switches you showed me in SF?

Not sure about Marquardt but Alps plate spring feel very similar to IBM buckling springs to me.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #1610 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 14:34:19 »
IBM (“beam spring”), Marquardt, and Alps plate spring have a similar concept (coil spring + buckling metal "plate" spring), but all three feel quite different from each other. I personally find Alps plate spring to be a bit less tactile than my preference, and find IBM and Marquardt versions to be a bit too stiff. If designing a remake, I think a new switch could potentially be better than any of these.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 May 2016, 14:36:18 by jacobolus »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1611 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 14:35:56 »
IBM (“beam spring”), Marquardt, and Alps plate spring have a similar concept (spring + buckling metal "plate"), but all three feel quite different from each other.

Stupid jacobolus...NOW I HAVE TO TRY ALPS PLATE SPRING TOO.

jk, thank you for teaching me about all these different switches

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #1612 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 14:37:26 »
CPT: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45456.msg2116911#msg2116911

Unfortunately the main source of Alps plate spring (outside rare Japanese IBM boards which I have no idea how to obtain, and this model of Canon typewriter which I don’t know any other instances of) is IBM P70/P75 luggables. On those, the switches are great, but the keyboard itself is the flimsiest crap imaginable, and the keycaps are super thin PBT, also not my favorite.

I have about 3 IBM P70 keyboards (I got them cheap on ebay, because the computer part was broken), and I hope to make a custom plate spring keyboard or two Someday™ (don’t hold your breath, I’m **** at actually getting projects done).
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 May 2016, 14:41:55 by jacobolus »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1613 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 14:39:44 »
CPT: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45456.msg2116911#msg2116911

So cool....maybe I'll run into one of these beasts at the e-cycler or thrift.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #1614 on: Sat, 21 May 2016, 19:45:44 »
for those who had missed it; more Alps-ness :D .

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1615 on: Sat, 21 May 2016, 19:46:48 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:09:22 by alienman82 »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1616 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 20:51:19 »
Well thanks to alienman I now own a SKCM Brown and SKCL Cream switch! The SKCL Cream was the spacebar off that Sharp typewriter.

Also as a update I didn't end up getting NIB SKCL Grey off Taobao :( Turns out he ran out of stock on the switches and was just selling some random blank alps caps. Still watching the listing to see if he bumps the price back up as a sign he has more. Its not over yet!
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline quasistellar

« Reply #1617 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 15:16:35 »
Chyros, have you every tried out a full keyboard of Matias switches?  I know you've looked at them some, but I've found typing on a switch is much different than just actuating a loose switch.  For example, I thought I'd love stock MX Clears after playing with them on a switch tester, but after getting a keyboard with them, it turns out I absolutely ****ing hate them, lol!

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
« Reply #1618 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 16:17:34 »
All black clueboard I've been working on that uses quiet clicks, still needs a bit of work but took some pics of the progress.

http://imgur.com/a/vdiAj more here

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #1619 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 18:56:52 »
Chyros, have you every tried out a full keyboard of Matias switches?  I know you've looked at them some, but I've found typing on a switch is much different than just actuating a loose switch.  For example, I thought I'd love stock MX Clears after playing with them on a switch tester, but after getting a keyboard with them, it turns out I absolutely ****ing hate them, lol!
I agree, and no, unfortunately I haven't!

I asked Matias for a Matias board to review, but he didn't respond - but maybe he's afraid his product won't stand up to my rigorous testing or high standards xD .

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1620 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 19:00:56 »
So I bought a NeXT Non ADB board w/ SKCM Cream....

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #1621 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 19:21:34 »
What do you think? These switches are very very similar to “salmon” switches, but (assuming good condition) a bit smoother.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1622 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 19:58:04 »
What do you think? These switches are very very similar to “salmon” switches, but (assuming good condition) a bit smoother.

Hmm, have you tried them? Ordered the board last night so I haven't gotten my hands on it. Was kinda hoping they would be a bit more unique than that, but whatever. Cool to own the board the internet was created on. Aren't these related to SKCM Blue as well, from the wiki they look to be directly non clicky blues.

One thing I'd like to point out is that I think this board is somewhat rarer than we think. Another reason I picked one up now, as well as having the fun of converting it :)

Although there are plenty on ebay for whatever reason, it looks like the market is controlled by one seller, who had about 20-30ish originally? Now he is at 8-14 comparing his listings. That's for both versions btw. Besides him there are a couple others but a majority are the late SKCM Black variant and are selling for much higher prices. When that seller dries up, this board is going to be quite rare imo. Not many NeXT systems were sold let alone non-adb and also let alone the early Cream ones so it makes sense. Get them while their hot I guess. Mine was only $25. Kinda like that ebay guy with the Green SKCC IBM board.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 May 2016, 20:00:50 by Mattr567 »

Offline E3E

« Reply #1623 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 20:24:53 »
Thanks for driving up the hype, MattR!  >:D

Now I just bought one before "it's too late," myself. Haha. Well, I just had to try one of the very last switches I've yet to experience in the Alps world. Now the only other ones I've got to try are the esoteric ones found in the Canon typewriter and the NEC Heavy Grey Alps switches.

And then I've tried every known-ish Alps switch.

Though there is that weird brown tactile switch with the more standard tactile leaves that one Korean site documented. No idea what's up with those, but eh.

The Alps Vortex™ is real, but I'm pretty satisfied with what I have now.

Offline phoible

« Reply #1624 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 20:39:52 »
All black clueboard I've been working on that uses quiet clicks, still needs a bit of work but took some pics of the progress.
Show Image

http://imgur.com/a/vdiAj more here

Did you leave off the top plate? Looks pretty awesome with the black bolts.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #1625 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 20:50:17 »
Hmm, have you tried them? Ordered the board last night so I haven't gotten my hands on it. Was kinda hoping they would be a bit more unique than that, but whatever. Cool to own the board the internet was created on. Aren't these related to SKCM Blue as well, from the wiki they look to be directly non clicky blues.
Actually I believe that picture in the wiki is from a few years earlier (1986–7?), showing the type of SKCM switch found in certain Canon typewriters, which uses a different slider shape and slightly stiffer spring than the “cream” switches in NeXT keyboards; it’s also a slightly different slider color. I could be wrong about that though; we don’t know too much else about that catalog picture.

The ones in early (~1989?) NeXT keyboards are nearly identical stiffness to salmon switches, but with tall switchplate and the same kind of plastics and lubricant as blue/orange/green Alps.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 May 2016, 20:51:59 by jacobolus »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1626 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 21:34:42 »
Thanks for driving up the hype, MattR!  >:D

Now I just bought one before "it's too late," myself. Haha. Well, I just had to try one of the very last switches I've yet to experience in the Alps world. Now the only other ones I've got to try are the esoteric ones found in the Canon typewriter and the NEC Heavy Grey Alps switches.

And then I've tried every known-ish Alps switch.

Though there is that weird brown tactile switch with the more standard tactile leaves that one Korean site documented. No idea what's up with those, but eh.

The Alps Vortex™ is real, but I'm pretty satisfied with what I have now.

Hah, unexpected side effect. Did you get it from the ebay seller computerpowwow? (the seller I was talking about) b/c he has both and if you don't specify (like I did) you could get either version.

Yea man, you got it all. Still want to try SKCL Brown, SKCM Green, SKCL Grey. Maybe SKCL Amber and SKCL Heavy Grey, although the chances of me ever getting these last two are almost impossible since you are the only one w/ them and its the only ones but I care less about one off spacebar switches. Getting there. Want SKCL Brown and SKCM Green before I do a tour of my switch tester.

Excited to try SKCM Brown and SKCL Cream that are coming from alienman ;D
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 May 2016, 21:40:25 by Mattr567 »

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1627 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 21:42:20 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:09:02 by alienman82 »

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #1628 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 03:21:37 »
Has anyone tried removing the dampers on Matias Quiet Click? I'm in the market for a good tactile ALPS board but don't care for dampened alps much.

Offline S1llyC0ne

« Reply #1629 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 03:34:07 »
Has anyone tried removing the dampers on Matias Quiet Click? I'm in the market for a good tactile ALPS board but don't care for dampened alps much.
So much cruelty in one post ! :-[

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #1630 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 03:55:43 »
I have a bunch of White ALPS sliders too. The Matias Sliders and Springs were both compatible with my complicated Whites so I'm guessing they will work the other way around as well.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #1631 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 04:49:35 »
I haven’t really experimented much, but I suspect swapping sliders between Matias and SKCM switches won’t work all that well. They’re different shapes. The springs are interchangeable though. You can certainly removes the rubber dampers from Matias quiet switches if you want to hear the plastic-on-plastic sound at the bottom of the stroke. If you want you can even cut the bottom tip off each one and still get a quieter upstroke.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #1632 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 17:04:26 »
Thanks for the advice.

These are just ideas, I might end up liking the more cushioned feeling for all I know. I'll be getting the KBParadise V80.

Offline NightCabbage

• I don't like Cherry keys!
« Reply #1633 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 19:15:11 »
Quick question...

With the Matias Clicky switch, can someone tell me where the activation and reset points are, relative to...

Start of "bump"
End of "bump"
Bottom-out

Offline mseaworthy

« Reply #1634 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 19:27:19 »
I'd estimate it to be about 35% down from the top with a nice cushioned spring back at the bottom. It's pretty nice.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1635 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 20:50:34 »
NeXT is here :D

I really love this board. SKCM Cream is hands down my favorite switch outside SKCM Blue, and that's saying a lot. SKCM Orange or Salmon has got nothing on this. They are extremely smooth and the way they actuate and pop up is glorious. I don't know what weight they are but they feel lighter than SKCM White, which is the standard Alps 70g I think? The caps are some of the best, better than Alps dyesubs? They are thicker and heavier. Text is extremely sharp. No shine at all.

Some of the caps have hand written numbers and symbols, I vaguely remember this on a another board I saw, rare I think?  Chryos can you help?

My specimen is almost NIB level clean. No rust, one very minor scuff on the case and underneath the caps only a light amt of dust I removed with a air can is 5 minutes. No need to clean the caps by hand or even remove them all. Funny thing is the seller has two listings, one for nicer specimens and one that are worse that had a issue with a side that was coming apart. I bought the latter since it was cheaper, looks like I got the better one by mistake lol.

Can't wait to build a converter and use this thing  :thumb:
Pics ahead.

The only grime underneath

PCB

No shine whatsoever
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 May 2016, 20:52:50 by Mattr567 »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1636 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 20:54:26 »
Can someone date the chip as well?

edit: 13th week of 1989 it looks like.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 May 2016, 21:03:16 by Mattr567 »

Offline quasistellar

« Reply #1637 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 21:35:44 »

It's possible. You can also swap the sliders with Click switches

Offline ipreferpie

Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1638 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 22:13:20 »
Matt, Thanks for that review and the heads up! Now I'm very excited to get my board. Hope I get a good copy like yours. Didn't expect the keycaps to be so nice also. How to you compare these cream switches to SKCM Browns?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 May 2016, 22:18:54 by ipreferpie »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1639 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 22:28:51 »
Matt, Thanks for that review and the heads up! Now I'm very excited to get my board. Hope I get a good copy like yours. Didn't expect the keycaps to be so nice also. How to you compare these cream switches to SKCM Browns?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You bought a NeXT as well? Lol, ever since I bought one I have seemed to bring up the hype, E3E and you.

Haven't tried SKCM Brown, but will on Saturday. Getting one sent to me.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #1640 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 23:28:50 »
I really love this board. SKCM Cream is hands down my favorite switch outside SKCM Blue, and that's saying a lot. SKCM Orange or Salmon has got nothing on this. They are extremely smooth and the way they actuate and pop up is glorious.
These feel very similar to salmon switches IMO. Orange switches are also pretty similar, but a bit less stiff. Maybe the orange/salmon switches you tried weren’t in as nice condition?

I’m a bit jealous, because I asked the same seller to send me his two best-condition $25 boards a couple months ago, and yours seems to be in better shape than either of the them. :-)

The caps are some of the best, better than Alps dyesubs?
Alps-made cylindrical doubleshot keycaps are nice, but not as nice as Alps-made dyesubs IMO. With clicky switches, I can imagine some people preferring the ABS caps for the louder sound.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 May 2016, 23:32:20 by jacobolus »

Offline E3E

« Reply #1641 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 00:06:19 »
You bought a NeXT as well? Lol, ever since I bought one I have seemed to bring up the hype, E3E and you.

Well, it's one of the last switches I've yet to try, so I figured why not. Seeing as they are seemingly closely related to blue Alps, I can imagine them feeling similar. You might've just started a scramble for these boards though. Try not to create another bubble, a creamy tactile alps bubble. :P And yeah, I did make sure NeXT board was an "AAE" model, Mattr.

I paid for a "Nice" condition version, and so I paid $11 more plus shipping. No idea if the shipping is higher or lower for me down here, but I suspect it might be. I'm just really looking for the board to complete my main switch collection. My 2nd hotswappable Eagle is probably going to be host to mainly tactile switches. Have SKCM Brown in there now, but I'll likely swap to Salmons and Creams and Oranges, etc as time passes. Neon Greens are staying in my Docutechs though. :P

That said, I so have another backlit Alps board that I used switches that are very much on par with the SKCM Green's rarity, or close enough anyway. :P

This was a lot of work and I hardly took any pictures. :) IT WAS A HELL OF A LOT OF WORK, haha. These caps are fantastic for linears, but I do prefer PBT for tactile and clicky. Very quiet though.

This is the only non-hotswappable Alps build I've made. The indicators LEDs are hotswappable though--used holtites for them.

The coiled cable is a mock up a the moment; I'm still waiting for the connectors to come in. I'm just using a throwaway USB cable at the moment, but I plan to keep the board USB and I'm not going to hardwire a cable to it.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 May 2016, 00:09:21 by E3E »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1642 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 00:36:40 »
I really love this board. SKCM Cream is hands down my favorite switch outside SKCM Blue, and that's saying a lot. SKCM Orange or Salmon has got nothing on this. They are extremely smooth and the way they actuate and pop up is glorious.
These feel very similar to salmon switches IMO. Orange switches are also pretty similar, but a bit less stiff. Maybe the orange/salmon switches you tried weren’t in as nice condition?

I’m a bit jealous, because I asked the same seller to send me his two best-condition $25 boards a couple months ago, and yours seems to be in better shape than either of the them. :-)

The caps are some of the best, better than Alps dyesubs?
Alps-made cylindrical doubleshot keycaps are nice, but not as nice as Alps-made dyesubs IMO. With clicky switches, I can imagine some people preferring the ABS caps for the louder sound.

Comparing my SGI caps I'd call them equal.

The switches do seem to be in better condition. My SKCM Oranges and Salmons are still great imo but these but I think there is another reason. I found a new variant of SKCM Cream. The wiki says SKCM Cream switches lack the Alps logo on the top, while SKCM Cream Damped switches all appear to have the Alps logo, so this may be a good visual indicator for differentiating the two switches

Well mine do have the logo up top! As seen here:

Doing some rough comparisons my SKCM Cream's seem to be heavier than Orange but lighter than Salmon. While my examples of SKCM Orange and Salmon are scratchier I blame that to condition. Need to do more testing but for sure its not 70g like Salmon or White.

Well, it's one of the last switches I've yet to try, so I figured why not. Seeing as they are seemingly closely related to blue Alps, I can imagine them feeling similar. You might've just started a scramble for these boards though. Try not to create another bubble, a creamy tactile alps bubble. :P And yeah, I did make sure NeXT board was an "AAE" model, Mattr.

I paid for a "Nice" condition version, and so I paid $11 more plus shipping. No idea if the shipping is higher or lower for me down here, but I suspect it might be. I'm just really looking for the board to complete my main switch collection. My 2nd hotswappable Eagle is probably going to be host to mainly tactile switches. Have SKCM Brown in there now, but I'll likely swap to Salmons and Creams and Oranges, etc as time passes. Neon Greens are staying in my Docutechs though. :P

That said, I so have another backlit Alps board that I used switches that are very much on par with the SKCM Green's rarity, or close enough anyway. :P

Show Image

Show Image

This was a lot of work and I hardly took any pictures. :) IT WAS A HELL OF A LOT OF WORK, haha. These caps are fantastic for linears, but I do prefer PBT for tactile and clicky. Very quiet though.

Show Image

This is the only non-hotswappable Alps build I've made. The indicators LEDs are hotswappable though--used holtites for them.

The coiled cable is a mock up a the moment; I'm still waiting for the connectors to come in. I'm just using a throwaway USB cable at the moment, but I plan to keep the board USB and I'm not going to hardwire a cable to it.

Ok good, didn't want ya to end up with SKCM Black by mistake. I think I may have started a scramble lol. People forgot all about these boards with their rare switches and awesome Alps black DS caps. All I know is that I made that sellers day! Can't wait to hear your opinions on SKCM Cream. IMHO its a great switch.

I'm not sure why but I really enjoy the NeXT itself. Think you will too. Its such a nice thing, idk how to describe it. Maybe its finally getting away from all the beige lol. The logo is amazing. The green accents also make it unique :thumb: Will you be converting it or just having it for the switches? Either way it makes a great display piece like you did w/ the Docutech's.

Offline E3E

« Reply #1643 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 00:56:43 »
Ok good, didn't want ya to end up with SKCM Black by mistake. I think I may have started a scramble lol. People forgot all about these boards with their rare switches and awesome Alps black DS caps. All I know is that I made that sellers day! Can't wait to hear your opinions on SKCM Cream. IMHO its a great switch.

I'm not sure why but I really enjoy the NeXT itself. Think you will too. Its such a nice thing, idk how to describe it. Maybe its finally getting away from all the beige lol. The logo is amazing. The green accents also make it unique :thumb: Will you be converting it or just having it for the switches? Either way it makes a great display piece like you did w/ the Docutech's.

I'd say Alps doubleshots and Alps dyesubs of the same profile are equals. Beyond that, it's a matter of preference. I prefer ABS for linear switches and PBT for everything else. SGI, Wang, AT101, Heath Zenith, IBM 5140, Xerox 6085 and Docutech--all of these have PBT caps from Alps Electric and they're all the same in terms of build quality and thickness. Differences being the homing area and legends and such.

Being that NeXT boards have Alps doubleshots, I'm sure they're nice. They are one of the few Alps boards I can think of with WoBish doubleshots. I've got a set of IBM Multistation spherical caps coming my way from a friend. I would love to see how the spherical dyesubs on the C.Itoh LK201 clone board are.

If the NeXT is in great condition, I'll have to consider whether or not I'd want to use it for its switches. I'll have to figure out if it beats out SKCM Brown in terms of my favorite tactile that isn't Neon Green, haha. Yeah, my 1997 model Docutech and its mouse are always on display. With that pin, it's just the nicest vintage to display, I think, plus with it's unique short left shift US layout. It's fun. :D

I wouldn't have really minded a NeXT with pine SKCM Blacks as those seem quite nice, but of course I wouldn't want to pay $53 for that. I'd settle on the $25er version for pine Blacks, haha. I've noticed these ever since you brought up SKCM Cream waaay back and I looked into it, but I was never so interested since the NeXT boards were always just sitting on eBay. Didn't care much, but after amassing a bit of a collection and with your hype, I guess now is the time. :P

I don't know if you realized up there, but that NCR keyboard is usually used with Cherry switches and caps. :P

I don't know if anyone else built something Alps-based with their Leeku 3000 PCBs back when they had Alps compatibility. I'm not even sure how many of those sold, but since, like the Duck Eagle and Lightpad and Infinity v2 PCB, it can use MX and Alps, that means it was also suitable for backlighting. Right now I've technically got four key-things suitable for backlighting, but only two actively using it.

My Lightpad, the Eagles, and the NCR build, with only the first Eagle actively using linears as well as the NCR using the brown Alps linears. The others are hotswapped so I could make them all 100% backlit, but I didn't want ALL linear builds. I used to have backlit brown linear mods on my 2nd Eagle, but I decided to go all SKCM Brown at the moment. Still need a case for that one though.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 May 2016, 01:05:25 by E3E »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1644 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 01:19:33 »

I'd say Alps doubleshots and Alps dyesubs of the same profile are equals. Beyond that, it's a matter of preference. I prefer ABS for linear switches and PBT for everything else. SGI, Wang, AT101, Heath Zenith, IBM 5140, Xerox 6085 and Docutech--all of these have PBT caps from Alps Electric and they're all the same in terms of build quality and thickness. Differences being the homing area and legends and such.

Being that NeXT boards have Alps doubleshots, I'm sure they're nice. They are one of the few Alps boards I can think of with WoBish doubleshots. I've got a set of IBM Multistation spherical caps coming my way from a friend. I would love to see how the spherical dyesubs on the C.Itoh LK201 clone board are.

If the NeXT is in great condition, I'll have to consider whether or not I'd want to use it for its switches. I'll have to figure out if it beats out SKCM Brown in terms of my favorite tactile that isn't Neon Green, haha. Yeah, my 1997 model Docutech and its mouse are always on display. With that pin, it's just the nicest vintage to display, I think, plus with it's unique short left shift US layout. It's fun. :D

I wouldn't have really minded a NeXT with pine SKCM Blacks as those seem quite nice, but of course I wouldn't want to pay $53 for that. I'd settle on the $25er version for pine Blacks, haha. I've noticed these ever since you brought up SKCM Cream waaay back and I looked into it, but I was never so interested since the NeXT boards were always just sitting on eBay. Didn't care much, but after amassing a bit of a collection and with your hype, I guess now is the time. :P

I don't know if you realized up there, but that NCR keyboard is usually used with Cherry switches and caps. :P

Show Image

I don't know if anyone else built something Alps-based with their Leeku 3000 PCBs back when they had Alps compatibility. I'm not even sure how many of those sold, but since, like the Duck Eagle and Lightpad and Infinity v2 PCB, it can use MX and Alps, that means it was also suitable for backlighting. Right now I've technically got four key-things suitable for backlighting, but only two actively using it.

My Lightpad, the Eagles, and the NCR build, with only the first Eagle actively using linears as well as the NCR using the brown Alps linears. The others are hotswapped so I could make them all 100% backlit, but I didn't want ALL linear builds. I used to have backlit brown linear mods on my 2nd Eagle, but I decided to go all SKCM Brown at the moment. Still need a case for that one though.

That NCR uses Alps? That's trippy. What caps are those?! Cherry profile Alps?! Thats really cool.

Since I have SKCM Brown coming on Saturday from alien I will have to do the same but the other way around lol. Yea as I said earlier Alps dyesubs and DS caps are equal to me as well. I plan to build a converter with TMK and make it a daily possibly. It has almost everything there, it just needs some software to add F keys and such. Don't want to shine those like new caps however.

Offline E3E

« Reply #1645 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 01:31:53 »
That NCR uses Alps? That's trippy. What caps are those?! Cherry profile Alps?! Thats really cool.

Since I have SKCM Brown coming on Saturday from alien I will have to do the same but the other way around lol. Yea as I said earlier Alps dyesubs and DS caps are equal to me as well. I plan to build a converter with TMK and make it a daily possibly. It has almost everything there, it just needs some software to add F keys and such. Don't want to shine those like new caps however.

Haha, yes! It just so happens that a later variant of the FAME has Cherry profile caps that look nearly identical. There's a few legend differences, but the legend font and the thickness is practically identical. I had to stem swap the Enter, Pipe, and Right Shift keys because the FAME caps were very much BAE layout with a short shift. I also decided to stem swap Caps Lock to give it a more authentic Cherry look. Using the  Brown SKCL Lock on that position even though it doesn't operate correctly. I never use Caps Lock anyway, heh. I've seen people build a circuit to handle latching switches, but a hardware wizard I am not. :P

It started as a joke. I originally wanted a 3000 PCB just to use in a vintage Alps case way back before I had my Leading Edge DC-3014 (I wanted it for the NKRO, haha), but when one finally became available for me, I really didn't have interest in doing that anymore. I noticed the Cherry profile FAME Caps and I had all the SKCL Brown switches to use (really remind me of Cherry MX Black), so I figured I might as well do something ridiculous.

THAT SAID. Jeez, I can go on forever, sorry. :P

Adafruit seems to have made a converter for the NeXT protocol from what I remember seeing a while back, so you can probably work off that if their work is openly available. The NeXT is a super cool and different board. It's like a more ambitious 65% with its lack of F row keys but with everything else. It's a very sleek and slim keyboard for the day by the look of it. I'd totally use it if it was just plug and play.

What caps are you going to use on the board? I've got some unshined AT101 caps and I threw them on my Orion v2 and pretty much immediately took them off because I didn't want to shine them, haha.

These FAME caps though, they're completely NOS, but I've pretty much decided that this board will be a very utilitarian build for me because I love using these switches and the board is light to boot. I actually don't like the look of the NCR as much as I do my other Alps boards, but due to the work put into it and the concept of it all, it's still a favorite.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 May 2016, 01:35:36 by E3E »

Offline NightCabbage

• I don't like Cherry keys!
« Reply #1646 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 02:19:28 »
With the Matias Clicky switch, can someone tell me where the activation and reset points are, relative to...

Start of "bump"
End of "bump"
Bottom-out
I'd estimate it to be about 35% down from the top with a nice cushioned spring back at the bottom. It's pretty nice.

Is the reset point the same as the activation point?

I'm just worried about too much hysteresis (like Cherry Blues, eww)

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #1647 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 02:24:46 »

Start of "bump"
End of "bump"
Bottom-out

Most clicky switches have some hysteresis. Matias actuate higher up than MX Blues and have shorter travel overall so there is still hysteresis but less than with MX Blues.

Offline E3E

« Reply #1648 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 02:27:49 »

You shouldn't ever have to worry about hysteresis with Alps, though I'm not very familiar with Matias. With Alps, the actuation is high and the reset point is pretty balanced. Tactile leaves don't impede this at all.

Ultimately though, Alps are pretty impossible to not bottom out on though, so feathering keys like you can on Cherry MX switches won't work very well unless your touch is absurdly delicate. But yeah, you shouldn't notice any hysteresis at all with an Alps switch.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #1649 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 02:50:21 »
There’s no need to completely avoid pushing the slider to the bottom of its keystroke. The important part, from a human health/comfort perspective, is to avoid mashing the key down very hard into the table. Strong tactile feedback like on a buckling spring or Alps switch helps with this, by giving your finger a clear signal that it’s time to stop putting additional strength into the keypress. On a nice tactile switch, the slider may bottom out, but there won’t be too much sharp impact at the end.

I’ve never heard of anyone having problems with the actuation or reset point on a complicated Alps switch. Watch out for Omron, NEC, and Hi Tek switches though, which actuate a bit before the click point.

If you need control for playing a game where you need to hover superprecisely near the actuation point or where you need to mash a key as fast as possible or something, a tactile Alps switch might not be ideal; a light linear switch and an external beeper/clicker which makes a sound at the actuation point probably works better. As far as I can tell this only really applies to a tiny handful of elite videogame players on a few particular types of games though.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 May 2016, 02:56:20 by jacobolus »