Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2458542 times)

Offline Mattr567

Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1800 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 21:12:34 »
Is..is that a SKCL Amber Lock?! :eek:
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline emdude

« Reply #1801 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 21:19:43 »
Probably not, here's the same image color-corrected.  According to the DT Wiki, they only came in Cream and Gray variants.

Current drivers: IBM Model M SSK

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1802 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 21:39:19 »
Probably not, here's the same image color-corrected.  According to the DT Wiki, they only came in Cream and Gray variants.

Show Image

I don't think so, still looks amber to me. E3E found a SKCL Brown Lock, so I think there are more out there.

Offline emdude

« Reply #1803 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 21:45:29 »
I think it is plainly Cream colored, but I fear this will turn into a White/Gold vs. Black/Blue dress sort of argument if it continues, so I will leave it at that.  :))

EDIT: I will leave this direct comparison of the sliders here though.  If someone like E3E or Jacobolus knows something about it, please correct me!

« Last Edit: Fri, 10 June 2016, 21:53:10 by emdude »

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #1804 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 22:36:46 »
I received my V80 today with the Matias Quiet Clicks!

Here's a moneyshot:

Show Image

I replaced some keys with an incomplete set of thin ABS doubleshots I have from a butchered FK-2001. The stock keycaps are even thinner than the ones on the Focus's though they actually feel somewhat denser. I'm fond of the colored shift and escape key myself.

The build quality of the rest of the board is excellent though, it has a good amount of weight to it and doesn't flex at all. Furthermore the keyboard's finish is very slick matte black.

I really like these Matias, the tactility is stronger than I was expecting.  I don't really care for the dampening though and I'll probably pop out the bumpers on the slider. The keycaps from the Focus give it a kind of neat sound I can't describe. They are really smooth and when I opened up a switch it felt like there was a very small amount of lubricant on the slider. Has Matias always done this?

The spacebar is also lovely, not rattly and doesn't sound much different than normal keys. The other stabilized keys are kind of rattly though.

Here's a close up of the keycaps, the Focus ones need a light wash and you can see some nicks too, scars of the past!

Show Image

Overall I'm happy with this board and would gladly recommend it and it's switches to anyone.

Great first impressions, thanks for sharing. Those keycaps look great, they really provide a lot of personality to an otherwise brand new board. I just received my own V80 with Quiet Clicks yesterday with the Tai-Hao psuedo-Dolch caps. I'm definitely agreeing with your positive first impressions. Like everybody else I wish there were much more Alps keycap choices.

Offline emdude

« Reply #1805 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 22:42:13 »
According to this, the new 60% Matias boards with PBT key caps will be coming out at the end of the year.

I really hope this is true, but we'll see I guess.

Offline E3E

« Reply #1806 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 23:17:13 »
Cross post from the Alpine Winter thread:

Finally got a case for my second Alps Duck Eagle that I hotswap modded along with the original.
And it matches Alpine Winter very well! :D

Of course the cable or wrist rest doesn't match, but hey. :P I'll have to get some paracord again and a white rest or something.

It's an FMJ design #1. :D

Using SKCM Brown at the moment:

I tried this with like three or four different cap OG Alps sets mixed with the Badwrench DCS mod pack and Alpine Winter mods before I decided to just put Alpine Winter on entirely.  :-\

I tried the NeXT WoB for the Alphas, my dyed IBM 5140 PBT caps, Dell AT101 caps, but I wasn't entirely satisfied with any of them for the aesthetic.

Offline emdude

« Reply #1807 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 23:27:00 »
Looks fantastic!  Very jealous.  ;D

I'm curious, in what color(s) did you dye your 5140 key caps?

Offline E3E

« Reply #1808 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 23:32:06 »

Thanks emdude. I'm very happy to finally have a case for my other Eagle, and one that can rival the Hammer to boot (that one's still my favorite though :P)

Hey, you're the one who got all those beamsprings though, right? That's an amazing find in itself!

I just dyed them black. Kind of on impulse when I was dyeing another set of Dell AT101 caps black for my Orion v2. I wanted to see how the IBM 5140s compared. The Dell caps dye with a blueish hue. The 5140 caps have a more neutral greyish/black hue.

The number pad you see uses dyed AT101 caps, but you really can't tell the difference unless you put them under bright white lighting. Very subtle.

Offline E3E

« Reply #1809 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 23:38:04 »

Show Image

I don't think so, still looks amber to me. E3E found a SKCL Brown Lock, so I think there are more out there.
Show Image

Hey, I apologize for the doublepost, but I had an Apple IIc A2S4100 and it had about three SKCL Lock switches, if I remember correctly. They were all cream! I think it's just color inaccuracies in the photo like emdude pointed out.

Offline emdude

« Reply #1810 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 23:42:39 »

Thanks emdude. I'm very happy to finally have a case for my other Eagle, and one that can rival the Hammer to boot (that one's still my favorite though :P)

Hey, you're the one who got all those beamsprings though, right? That's an amazing find in itself!

I just dyed them black. Kind of on impulse when I was dyeing another set of Dell AT101 caps black for my Orion v2. I wanted to see how the IBM 5140s compared. The Dell caps dye with a blueish hue. The 5140 caps have a more neutral greyish/black hue.

Show Image

Show Image

The number pad you see uses dyed AT101 caps, but you really can't tell the difference unless you put them under bright white lighting. Very subtle.

Thanks for the extra pics.  I have two Alps64s in the pipeline myself, both of which are to use cheap plastic cases, but to be honest, your Hammer and Duck Eagle is making me want to invest in nice aluminum cases..  :-[  I think I'll have to look into how those sort of cases affect sound and such first.

I definitely can't wait to work on my beam springs though, only a few more days..
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 June 2016, 23:50:58 by emdude »

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #1811 on: Sat, 11 June 2016, 00:11:51 »
sions, thanks for sharing. Those keycaps look great, they really provide a lot of personality to an otherwise brand new board. I just received my own V80 with Quiet Clicks yesterday with the Tai-Hao psuedo-Dolch caps. I'm definitely agreeing with your positive first impressions. Like everybody else I wish there were much more Alps keycap choices.

I don't actually like the dampening too much so I might do a switch swap with some other tactile ALPS switch in the future. Possibly an AEK I with SKCM Oranges.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #1812 on: Sat, 11 June 2016, 00:46:04 »
Too much work for most people but you can always remove the dampeners if you want. I think Matias Linear actually feel very similar to SKCL Green once you remove the damps.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #1813 on: Sat, 11 June 2016, 01:02:38 »
damn e3e why do you have to have all the brown alps! save some for me!  :p

Offline losing_ctrl

« Reply #1814 on: Sat, 11 June 2016, 10:31:53 »
sions, thanks for sharing. Those keycaps look great, they really provide a lot of personality to an otherwise brand new board. I just received my own V80 with Quiet Clicks yesterday with the Tai-Hao psuedo-Dolch caps. I'm definitely agreeing with your positive first impressions. Like everybody else I wish there were much more Alps keycap choices.

I don't actually like the dampening too much so I might do a switch swap with some other tactile ALPS switch in the future. Possibly an AEK I with SKCM Oranges.

I hear you, but wouldn't that make the switch louder, thereby taking the quiet out of the quiet clicks? Have you tried the normal tactile clicks? I chose the quiet clicks feeling like I was willing to give up a bit of tactility to get a quieter switch.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #1815 on: Sat, 11 June 2016, 12:24:14 »
Sooo, I need an opinion.
It has been a little difficult to find a HHKB layout 60% ALPS plate in metal and as you can see I really like my HHKB layout.

Should I go ahead and build my TMK ALPS64 with this 1.5mm acrylic plate?
I wonder how it will feel with the acrylic plate... will I regret it?
Will be using green alps!

Show Image

Linear is not for everyone, so no guarantees.... But as for as linears go, it's hard to go wrong with Alps xD .

damn e3e why do you have to have all the brown alps! save some for me!  :p
I know right, he's a hoarder! He's holding all the Lime ones too :p .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #1816 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 18:56:59 »
Just finished my alps64 today, complete with click modded SKCL greens. I couldnt find a spacebar that would work for the infinity layout, so I modded an OG  Focus spacebar from the fk2001 I stiole the caps from. It doesnt look good, but maybe someday I will find a correctly colored 6u spacebar, Here is a few pics. I also have a sound recording of the switches.

frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #1817 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 19:01:10 »
Ze ping and ze click, what a combo ;D .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #1818 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 19:01:53 »
Ze ping and ze click, what a combo ;D .
and youre gonna get to play with it in a few weeks, as promised.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1819 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 19:23:10 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:04:12 by alienman82 »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1820 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 22:57:13 »
Just finished my alps64 today, complete with click modded SKCL greens. I couldnt find a spacebar that would work for the infinity layout, so I modded an OG  Focus spacebar from the fk2001 I stiole the caps from. It doesnt look good, but maybe someday I will find a correctly colored 6u spacebar, Here is a few pics. I also have a sound recording of the switches.
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Wow, thats really interesting. Where did you get the clicky leaves from? SKCM White?

Offline emdude

« Reply #1821 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 23:13:37 »
Looks great, mike!  If Alpine Spring (or some other Alps GB) happens, perhaps you can get a proper 6u space bar (and nice new caps)!

The ping is also interesting..  How exactly do you feel about it?

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #1822 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 23:17:28 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Wow, thats really interesting. Where did you get the clicky leaves from? SKCM White?
Yup, took the click leaves and top housings from a fk2001.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #1823 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 23:20:59 »
Looks great, mike!  If Alpine Spring (or some other Alps GB) happens, perhaps you can get a proper 6u space bar (and nice new caps)!

The ping is also interesting..  How exactly do you feel about it?
I love the ping. maybe thats why I love model f buckling spring too. I would like to get my hands on a new keyset, but I have a real soft spot for og multi colored focus doubleshots. theyre really sweet caps. the spacebar on the other hand, I would love to replace. but afaik there werent any vintage alps boards made with a 6u spacebar.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #1824 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 23:24:15 »
There are a lot of different Alps spacebar sizes. I’m sure I’ve seen 4.75u, 5u, 5.25u. Not 100% sure about 6u, but I suspect there’s probably one somewhere.

Offline quasistellar

« Reply #1825 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 12:37:47 »
Quick question: what's the lightest tactile Alps switch? Is it brown? I'm trying to think about another switch to try if I find that quiet clicks are too heavy.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1826 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 12:45:07 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:03:50 by alienman82 »

Offline quasistellar

« Reply #1827 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 12:51:11 »
That's a little disappointing -- aren't orange around 60gf for actuation?

Offline E3E

« Reply #1828 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 12:53:03 »
Quick question: what's the lightest tactile Alps switch? Is it brown? I'm trying to think about another switch to try if I find that quiet clicks are too heavy.

SKCM Orange without a doubt if we're talking spring weight alone.

That's a little disappointing -- aren't orange around 60gf for actuation?

55-60g, but if you want lighter, you can pop in SKCL green springs which are 45-50g. I've heard Matias linears are even lighter so you might want to take a look at them, but I could be wrong. I don't know much about Matias at the moment.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #1829 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 13:20:14 »
There are a lot of different Alps spacebar sizes. I’m sure I’ve seen 4.75u, 5u, 5.25u. Not 100% sure about 6u, but I suspect there’s probably one somewhere.

I know that Signature Plastics sells Alps spacebars in 6u in their various profiles, it would just be a matter of finding the color you are looking for @mike52787.

I've heard Matias linears are even lighter so you might want to take a look at them, but I could be wrong. I don't know much about Matias at the moment.

Matias accidentally sent me their linear switches awhile ago when I bought my QCs from them. Having tried them and SKCL greens I can attest to the fact that, at the very least, Matias Linear switches feel lighter. I am not sure if this is an aging related issue, but the linear switches were smooth like butter and very light, not unlike Gateron Clears (perhaps even lighter, if that's possible). I wish I would've saved a few so I could test 'em again.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 June 2016, 13:27:06 by Wingpad »

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #1830 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 13:30:42 »
The Matias are all around 60g respectively.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #1831 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 13:38:54 »

I don't think the quiet linears are, Matias' website lists them as 35 +/- 5 gf. Like I said, they felt very comparable to Gateron Clears.

139652-0
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 June 2016, 13:41:48 by Wingpad »

Offline quasistellar

« Reply #1832 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 13:54:48 »
Yeah I've done some tinkering, and the quiet click and linear Matias springs seem to be the same. The difference in weight comes from the shape of the leaf as far as I can tell, with the tactile leaf providing more resistance.

Once I build my infinity I'll have to give Orange a try to compare. I'm basically wanting a unicorn: tactile Alps at 45g.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1833 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 18:18:29 »
I miss my AEKII, think ill buy another one.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1834 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 18:25:25 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:03:48 by alienman82 »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1835 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 18:56:58 »

the switches in that are so bad :(  at least to me.

I assume your talking about SKCM Cream Damp. Dirty ones feel bad but clean nice ones feel pretty good actually. Its also that I also miss the board itself. Since I sold it I have had the opportunity to try many more Alps switches so I think my opinion has shifted.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 June 2016, 18:58:31 by Mattr567 »

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #1836 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 18:58:43 »

I assume your talking about SKCM Cream Damp. Dirty ones feel bad but clean nice ones feel pretty good actually. Its just that I also miss the board itself. Since I sold it I have had the opportunity to try many more Alps switches so I think my opinion has shifted.
Ive never personally tried them but I like regular cream. How do they stack up?

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1837 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 19:00:21 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 15:03:46 by alienman82 »

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #1838 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 19:03:28 »
SKCM Cream feel really nice, but Ive never tried cream damped or SKCL Cream.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #1839 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 19:05:39 »

I don't think the quiet linears are, Matias' website lists them as 35 +/- 5 gf. Like I said, they felt very comparable to Gateron Clears.

(Attachment Link)
I read somewhere Matias only did that for a few batches of the quiet linears.

Offline E3E

« Reply #1840 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 19:39:22 »

I assume your talking about SKCM Cream Damp. Dirty ones feel bad but clean nice ones feel pretty good actually. Its just that I also miss the board itself. Since I sold it I have had the opportunity to try many more Alps switches so I think my opinion has shifted.
Ive never personally tried them but I like regular cream. How do they stack up?

I've never tried Matias Quiet Clicks, which seem like their closest relative to compare against, but they were essentially Alp's push against the move toward rubber domes, which were, of course, much quieter. They feel like rubber domes a bit.

I think mixing a damped slider with SKCM Brown or Green would give a near authentic Topre feel.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #1841 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 19:46:57 »
I agree that dampened ALPS have a rubber dome esque feeling to them. If the actuation was just slightly higher up it would definitely have a feel reminiscent of Topre.

Offline emdude

« Reply #1842 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 00:02:20 »
So I managed to net myself a 5140 for a pretty great price, practically new too; SKCM Browns are really interesting, these certainly have a thockiness to them. :))

I'll definitely be harvesting these for a 60%, I really want to go with a layout that is like the one on the 5140 so I can use all of its original key caps.

Also wondering, would it be safe to say that the SKCL Compacts are basically identical to SKCL Greens (aside from the weird mount)?
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 June 2016, 00:25:20 by emdude »

Offline E3E

« Reply #1843 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 02:12:50 »
So I managed to net myself a 5140 for a pretty great price, practically new too; SKCM Browns are really interesting, these certainly have a thockiness to them. :))

I'll definitely be harvesting these for a 60%, I really want to go with a layout that is like the one on the 5140 so I can use all of its original key caps.

Show Image

Also wondering, would it be safe to say that the SKCL Compacts are basically identical to SKCL Greens (aside from the weird mount)?

I find them to be a pinch heavier than SKCL Green, actually. I've dealt with quite a few sets of them from different boards and this always seems to be the case. They're just as pingy though, that's for sure. :)

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #1844 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 08:17:31 »

Hmm, so what your saying is there is a chance that if I buy a bag of QLs there's a chance they might be heavy enough for me to like them?

Nice find! I am currently in the process of trying to find a good deal on one as well.

Anyway, I have two questions for you guys:

1) I recently bought this ALPS Wyse Keyboard to harvest it for keycaps and switches. It is definitely a Wyse-compatible board since it has the same connector as the board I harvested vintage blacks from; however, it is not externally branded as a Wyse board. I have yet to open it up, but I am sure I will find that the PCB is labelled as a 'Wyse' since, holy cow, the keycaps on this board are pretty thick and double-shot (just like SP's for the other Wyse boards). Do you guys know anything about who made these keycaps? I can post pictures when I get back home later (if that would help).

2) Is click-modding greens any smoother than click-modding oranges? In an old thread, click-modding oranges was recommended over greens but I have to wonder because the greens I opened up on this board have dried lube on their sliders. My tinkering suggests that using the top case from a Salmon switch, click plate from a White and a spring, switch plate and base from a Green yields a pretty smooth switch, albeit a pingy one with a noticeable amount of hysteresis.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #1845 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 08:19:56 »

Show Image

absolutely not. SKCL Green compacts have a different spring, different switchplate and different keycap mount

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #1846 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 08:22:10 »

Hmm, so what your saying is there is a chance that if I buy a bag of QLs there's a chance they might be heavy enough for me to like them?

Nice find! I am currently in the process of trying to find a good deal on one as well.

Anyway, I have two questions for you guys:

1) I recently bought this ALPS Wyse Keyboard to harvest it for keycaps and switches. It is definitely a Wyse-compatible board since it has the same connector as the board I harvested vintage blacks from; however, it is not externally branded as a Wyse board. I have yet to open it up, but I am sure I will find that the PCB is labelled as a 'Wyse' since, holy cow, the keycaps on this board are pretty thick and double-shot (just like SP's for the other Wyse boards). Do you guys know anything about who made these keycaps? I can post pictures when I get back home later (if that would help).

2) Is click-modding greens any smoother than click-modding oranges? In an old thread, click-modding oranges was recommended over greens but I have to wonder because the greens I opened up on this board have dried lube on their sliders. My tinkering suggests that using the top case from a Salmon switch, click plate from a White and a spring, switch plate and base from a Green yields a pretty smooth switch, albeit a pingy one with a noticeable amount of hysteresis.
My click modded greens are pretty smooth, they have a white top housing and click leaf though. still incredibly pingy though :))

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #1847 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 08:28:29 »
My click modded greens are pretty smooth, they have a white top housing and click leaf though. still incredibly pingy though :))

For whatever reason, I could not get the top housing from a white switch to fit on the bottom housing for the SKCL greens (it wouldn't snap closed on one side). I suspected it was due to the longer gray plates inside of the greens so I just grabbed a salmon top housing and it fit.

And yes, I saw your video, incredibly pingy indeed, haha.

Offline E3E

« Reply #1848 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 08:51:26 »
absolutely not. SKCL Green compacts have a different spring, different switchplate and different keycap mount

This is mostly true. Different spring, different mount, different slider, different housing, but the switch plate is in-fact the same, and I've used the plates to fix dead or chattery standard SKCL/SKCM switches before.

Never throw out your SKCL Compacts.

For whatever reason, I could not get the top housing from a white switch to fit on the bottom housing for the SKCL greens (it wouldn't snap closed on one side). I suspected it was due to the longer gray plates inside of the greens so I just grabbed a salmon top housing and it fit.

That doesn't make any sense though! The SKCM Salmon and SKCM White switches both have short switch plates. That said, the top housings do not have any bearing on the bottom and you should be able to use any SKCM top housing on almost every SKCM switch aside from Brown. SKCL switches too!

Are you sure you didn't just put the top on backwards? It's a really easy mistake to do until you get used to how the housings are oriented. That'd stop the top from going on.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 June 2016, 09:03:52 by E3E »

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #1849 on: Tue, 14 June 2016, 08:54:25 »

I think the problem youre having has to do with your click leaf placement. There is 2 little ridges on hte inside of the top of the housing on 1 side, make sure that is the side you put the click leaf in, and put the switch plate in the other side. That will prevent the switch from closing properly if you dont.