Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2458584 times)

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1900 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 01:06:15 »
Well I guess thats not good news for me, because my agent hasnt placed the order yet. I guess im only getting 2 boards max. do you know which ones are left? I cant really
be bothered to look since Im already in bed on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline E3E

« Reply #1901 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 01:32:32 »
Yep! :D This one seller has a bunch of Cherry and Alps stuff. Various Alps clones, Cherry MX Yellow (legit), and what I bought. The SKCL Green listing had 2 IBM Multistations and a X6800 PCB. By the time I got to it one of the Multistations had already been sold, luckily the later variant with the lower profile caps. He has another listing with SKCM Blue, about 4 boards. All between $7-20. I bought the cheap one since I don't really care for how many caps aren't missing etc.

Plan is to build some sort of SKCM Blue board w/ those amazing high profile caps, at least thats what i'm thinking.

Show Image

I've got some IBM sphericals too, actually. I didn't really like them on blue alps, green Alps, or any light switches. I think they'd be best suited on a heavier switch (just my opinion). They felt good on SKCM Browns and I have a feeling they'll be amazing on SKCM Ambers. I'd reckon they'd feel good on SKCL Brown too, but I haven't tried them out on those.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1902 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 01:35:38 »
Well I guess thats not good news for me, because my agent hasnt placed the order yet. I guess im only getting 2 boards max. do you know which ones are left? I cant really

There not necessarily left but still showing, I wouldnt really be worrying that much. The seller must be really busy with all the orders at once, with mine being a hour or two before the flood. They are the two 95 yen ones.

I've got some IBM sphericals too, actually. I didn't really like them on blue alps, green Alps, or any light switches. I think they'd be best suited on a heavier switch (just my opinion). They felt good on SKCM Browns and I have a feeling they'll be amazing on SKCM Ambers. I'd reckon they'd feel good on SKCL Brown too, but I haven't tried them out on those.

Where did you get those from? Interesting. I think they will still be pretty good though.
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline E3E

« Reply #1903 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 01:48:19 »
There not necessarily left but still showing, I wouldnt really be worrying that much. The seller must be really busy with all the orders at once, with mine being a hour or two before the flood. They are the two 95 yen ones.

Where did you get those from? Interesting. I think they will still be pretty good though.

I got them from Itzmeluigi. The Multistations are incredibly rare over here, but apparently they're about as common as AEKs over in China. I think, similarly, Alps SKCL Green is one of the most common switches used in the asian market. Linears seemed to be their thing. I believe Alps SKCM Orange, for as relatively common as it is here, was quite rare over there, for example.

The sphericals are still the less common ones of the bunch though, by far. The feel of them was just my opinion, I mean the sphericals do come on Alps SKCL Green boards, so someone decided that was a good idea. I just find them to be a bit unfulfilling with such a light weight. I love them with Alps profile cylindrical, but not with these sphericals.

They actually felt really good on my Tai Hao APC clone switches, which aare somewhere between SKCM White and SKCM Amber in how they sound and feel, which is why I'm thinking Ambers would be good despite my distaste for them. The caps gave the otherwise hollow sound of the APC switches a more satisfying feedback, if you ask me.

You'll love the way they grip your fingers though, man. They've got a really nice sculpt that is unlike SA and probably more like Topre Hi Pros. They're a bit scooped out and the homing keys have deep dish scoops. Fantastic caps.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #1904 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 09:00:20 »
Was about to PM you and Wingpad the link since you guys asked. Get ready to pay a decent amt. for shipping, the weight can really add up.

Thanks for the heads up about these, guys! I think I was able to get one of the blue alps boards, I just hope I didn't accidentally snatch one of Mike's... I would feel awful :(

Yeah, I ordered like 10 switches the other day from Taobao and paid $16 for shipping them to the states. It's just like when I was importing Gunpla from Japan, I guess.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #1905 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 09:02:16 »
which one was it? I bought the 3 cheapest ones left. The only one I didnt buy was the one with all the keycaps.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #1906 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 09:02:44 »
I saw the blue Alps thing he had, but it was so dirty I mistook them for brown Alps at first xD . Hopefully whoever gets it will be able to restore it to a usable condition - dirty Alps can be worse than horrible.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #1907 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 09:05:25 »
I saw the blue Alps thing he had, but it was so dirty I mistook them for brown Alps at first xD . Hopefully whoever gets it will be able to restore it to a usable condition - dirty Alps can be worse than horrible.
Its going to be a hell of alot of work, but totally worth it.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #1908 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 09:53:41 »
which one was it? I bought the 3 cheapest ones left. The only one I didnt buy was the one with all the keycaps.

I bought the one with all of the keycaps. phew

139986-0

Its going to be a hell of alot of work, but totally worth it.

Yeah, I am looking forward to it, this is one of the few boards that was described as "feeling good" but I'll still probably have do a bit of restoration/cleaning work to get 'em to be silky smooth again. I was tempted to buy that weird TKL board he had and put them in there but I will probably just put them into a 40/60% at some point.

The funniest part is that I passed over this seller like six times when I was searching the site. For whatever reason only his cherry options were showing and I never bothered to look at what else he had. I'm just grateful I got something anyway.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #1909 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 10:00:29 »

I bought the one with all of the keycaps. phew

(Attachment Link)

awesome! Glad you got one. I guess you can disreagard my pm them :))

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #1910 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 10:22:58 »
Awesome! Glad you got one. I guess you can disregard my pm them :))

I meant to send you a thank-you for that, it was a very kind offer!

Aside from that board, I also bought a set of their double-shot keycaps and I got these from another seller:

Now I have no idea if they're the actual SKCL Grays or the keycaps, I guess I'll find out when they arrive. I'm really hoping to get the switches, though. I'd love to use them as a "proper" space bar on my next custom boards.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #1911 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 11:07:25 »

Aside from that board, I also bought a set of their double-shot keycaps and I got these from another seller:

Show Image

Now I have no idea if they're the actual SKCL Grays or the keycaps, I guess I'll find out when they arrive. I'm really hoping to get the switches, though. I'd love to use them as a "proper" space bar on my next custom boards.
The switches in the picture are almost certainly genuine. The caps look like they're Alps-made, too. I think I saw them but I didn't buy them probably because of the pricing or shipping or something.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #1912 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 11:07:38 »
I saw the same skcl greys, I was about to order them too, but I thought i was already wallethacking myself too much. what kind of doubleshots did you find?

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #1913 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 11:16:25 »
The switches in the picture are almost certainly genuine. The caps look like they're Alps-made, too. I think I saw them but I didn't buy them probably because of the pricing or shipping or something.

Yeah, I thought the same thing when I saw the LED cutout and the Alps logo on the bottom of the case; it's just that the description for the listing was vague. I wasn't sure if they are listing the caps themselves with the switches there for scale or the switches and the caps. They said "keyboard hats" (I think hats = caps) in the listing and since they didn't talk about the switches anywhere, I might be getting myself a fine set of "keyboard hats." I decided to buy 'em even though they cost me a bit to ship 'em.

I saw the same skcl greys, I was about to order them too, but I thought i was already wallethacking myself too much. what kind of doubleshots did you find?

I am at the height of my wallethacking atm, it's part of the whole starting a new obsession process. Fortunately, I am selling off a lot of the stuff from my previous obsession so I'm breaking even and trading one for the other. As for the double-shots they looked like pretty bog standard Focus/Northgate-style ones, nothing particularly exciting but they were like $4 so I figured I might as well throw them into my order while I am at it. It never hurts to have an extra set.

« Last Edit: Fri, 17 June 2016, 11:41:05 by Wingpad »

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #1914 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 11:17:54 »
As for the double-shots they looked like pretty bog standard Focus/Northgate-style ones, nothing particularly exciting but they were like $4 so I figured I might as well throw them into my order while I am at it. It never hurts to have an extra set.
Are they big ass enter or ansi? if theyre ansi I might have to pick up a set.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #1915 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 11:26:34 »
Are they big ass enter or ansi? if theyre ansi I might have to pick up a set.

It is a big ass enter with a winkeyless layout, 7u space bar, split shift and full-size backspace but I was more interested in the alphas, anyway. Regardless, I think I ordered their last one.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #1916 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 11:33:42 »
Nevermind then, I have 2 sets of those. I bought a omnikey 104 and a fk2001 off ebay just for the caps, and I have already pretty much stripped the 2001 for the caps on my 60%. I was short a few keys and and ansi enter, so fohat hooked me up with a few caps to finish it off. My omnikey 104 is going to be blue alpsified and refurbished, it came with FILTHY white alps. Personally I think focus/northgate doubleshots are some of the bestlooking and feeling alps caps ever made. (other than sphericals of course lmao)

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #1917 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 12:27:01 »
My omnikey 104 is going to be blue alpsified and refurbished, it came with FILTHY white alps. Personally I think focus/northgate doubleshots are some of the bestlooking and feeling alps caps ever made. (other than sphericals of course lmao)

Lmao about the filthy white alps bit and I guess that means I should look forward to playing around with these new caps :thumb:

Hmmm, now that I have all of these switches I want to find something to put them in; maybe I'll get a Filco Zero or KBParadise V80 to house them. I was planning on building a planck and 60% AEKII-style keyboard (I have the PCB for the latter but not the plate and vice versa for the former) but now I kind of want a TKL. (and so the wallet hacking continues!)
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 June 2016, 12:54:33 by Wingpad »

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #1918 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 12:52:10 »
My omnikey 104 is going to be blue alpsified and refurbished, it came with FILTHY white alps. Personally I think focus/northgate doubleshots are some of the bestlooking and feeling alps caps ever made. (other than sphericals of course lmao)

Lmao about the filthy white alps bit and I guess that means I should look forward to playing around with these new caps :thumb:

Hmmm, now that I have all of these switches I want to find something to put them in; maybe I'll get a Filco Zero or KBParadise V80 to house them. I was planning on building a planck and AEKII-style keyboard (I have the PCB for the latter but not the plate and vice versa for the former) but now I kind of want a TKL. (and so the wallet hacking continues!)
I have a hacked up and hand wired with a teensy tkl white alps board that im working on a custom hardwood case for. I used an aekii clone board called the power user 105 as a base. I might go about getting rid of this board somewhere down the line after I finish it, I have most of the tmk programming done but I cant bring myself to finish it. Ill post some pics when I get home. let me know if youre interested. swapping switches would be a ***** though since theyre glued in and hand wired. I had a thread about it in making stuff together if you can find it.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1919 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 13:15:33 »

Show Image

Oh, I bought these a while back but he was out of the SKCL Gray's and just sent those blank caps. Ended up not keeping them since the shipping was really high for just caps. Did he come back in stock? You can know from the title of the listing, give me the link and I will know.

The one I bought was definitely dirtiest out of the bunch, but not super terrible. A good cleaning outside and inside will bring them back.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 June 2016, 13:24:52 by Mattr567 »

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #1920 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 15:27:35 »
I have a hacked up and hand wired with a teensy tkl white alps board that im working on a custom hardwood case for. I used an aekii clone board called the power user 105 as a base. I might go about getting rid of this board somewhere down the line after I finish it, I have most of the tmk programming done but I cant bring myself to finish it. Ill post some pics when I get home. let me know if youre interested. swapping switches would be a ***** though since theyre glued in and hand wired. I had a thread about it in making stuff together if you can find it.

I found your thread, it looks like it was coming along nicely. What were you trying to do in the firmware that was different/special? Apple purists forgive me for this but I have an AEKII plate I could cut in a similar manner, I wonder how tricky that would be...

Oh, I bought these a while back but he was out of the SKCL Gray's and just sent those blank caps. Ended up not keeping them since the shipping was really high for just caps. Did he come back in stock? You can know from the title of the listing, give me the link and I will know.

I would give you the link but it's too late, they've already taken down the listing since I purchased them. I think I ended up just getting the caps, lol :)) I don't mind that much I just hope I get more than ten for what I spent on shipping xD

The one I bought was definitely dirtiest out of the bunch, but not super terrible. A good cleaning outside and inside will bring them back.

How are you planning on cleaning yours, if you don't mind me asking? Compressed air? Ultrasonic cleaner? Good ol' fashioned elbow grease?

Offline emdude

« Reply #1921 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 15:42:26 »
I imagine those blue alps will need some work indeed.  I hope you will not have to resort to washing the sliders, since that will probably end up removing the lubricant on them.  I have read that dirty Alps can often be shot beyond repair, so that was part of the reason why I decided not to get those boards; hopefully yours turn out all right with some cleaning.
Current drivers: IBM Model M SSK

Offline emdude

« Reply #1922 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 15:52:31 »
I'm also trying to help phoible get his 60% Alps plate GB going and since JDCarpe seems to have been away from GH for quite some time now, I think we're going to go ahead with redesigning his plates.

Does anyone have measurements for the space bar stabilizer insert holes or know a topic on GH where this is documented?  I don't have the proper tools with which to make proper measurements.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #1923 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 15:59:09 »
I'm also trying to help phoible get his 60% Alps plate GB going and since JDCarpe seems to have been away from GH for quite some time now, I think we're going to go ahead with redesigning his plates.

Does anyone have measurements for the space bar stabilizer insert holes or know a topic on GH where this is documented?  I don't have the proper tools with which to make proper measurements.

I can give you JD's email if that would help (his policy is for people to contact him there about GBs). Also, are you talking about the pins on the bottom of the spacebar? I have the following from BlueNalgene (from a PM):

Quote from: BlueNalgene
Since you mention the spacebar pins, I could help you out with the spacing.  I know that the pins for the Dell keycaps are 6.25 mm diameter holes spaced 69.25 mm apart, equidistant from the spacebar switch rectangle.

I think I am pretty close with my plate re-design but I don't have anyway to test it until I get a replacement PSU for my laser cutter. Once I am able to validate it I am planning on posting it; I just don't want to post it if it's wrong, haha.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 June 2016, 16:01:31 by Wingpad »

Offline emdude

« Reply #1924 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 16:08:58 »
Thanks for the measurements, if you don't mind, I'll PM you about JD's e-mail.

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #1925 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 16:18:43 »
I added a Matias Mini Tactile Pro to my Alps collection today. I went home and promptly broke a few switches when swapping in Apple AEKII PBT keycaps. =(. Anyone know a good source for 6 instock Matias Clicks.

So far I've got a clueboard with SKCM Brown, a Alps Party with SKCM Brown, a Leading Edge with SKCM Blue, and a typewriter with SKCL Greens. I'd be interested in this upcoming plate so I can build a 60% Green Alps board!

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #1926 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 16:21:25 »
I added a Matias Mini Tactile Pro to my Alps collection today. I went home and promptly broke a few switches when swapping in Apple AEKII PBT keycaps. =(. Anyone know a good source for 6 instock Matias Clicks.

I have 6 quiet click switches I could send/sell you that are leftover from the Dell I built.

EDIT: Otherwise, MK has Matias QCs.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 June 2016, 16:28:21 by Wingpad »

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #1927 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 16:22:56 »
I recently bought a Leading Edge, right before finding the Taobao blue alps treasure trove. I just knew that would happen since of course I would buy Blue ALPS at full price only to find 'em for cheaper a few hours later xD
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 June 2016, 16:25:52 by Wingpad »

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #1928 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 16:27:07 »
I have 6 quiet click switches I could send/sell you that are leftover from the Dell I built.

Whoops, I didn't realize you wanted Clicks, in that case I can't help you.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 June 2016, 16:28:59 by Wingpad »

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #1929 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 16:29:44 »
So it says they are out of stock, but I was successful in adding it to my cart. Huh???????

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1930 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 18:35:38 »
I imagine those blue alps will need some work indeed.  I hope you will not have to resort to washing the sliders, since that will probably end up removing the lubricant on them.  I have read that dirty Alps can often be shot beyond repair, so that was part of the reason why I decided not to get those boards; hopefully yours turn out all right with some cleaning.

Nah, that won't be needed. I'll clean the plate and switches then blow out dust inside them. You can look for yourself, the picture of mine is still up https://world.taobao.com/item/529535754025.htm

By F12 its pretty dirty but if you look elsewhere its surprisingly alright actually. I count about 95 good switches that don't have their insides missing. Another advantage of that one is that its a perfect ANSI Alps plate. Good for later use.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 June 2016, 18:38:51 by Mattr567 »

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #1931 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 18:41:49 »

Nah, that won't be needed. I'll clean the plate and switches then blow out dust inside them. You can look for yourself, the picture of mine is still up https://world.taobao.com/item/529535754025.htm

By F12 its pretty dirty but if you look elsewhere its surprisingly alright actually. I count about 95 good switches that don't have their insides missing. Another advantage of that one is that its a perfect ANSI Alps plate. Good for later use.
one of the ones I got were ansi, but the other 2 were big ass enter and 1u backspace. wingpad's board from the same listing is also 1u backspace and big ass enter. There was a focus 2001 on there with blue alps, but for some reason the switches looked fake to me.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #1932 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 19:08:29 »
one of the ones I got were ansi, but the other 2 were big ass enter and 1u backspace. wingpad's board from the same listing is also 1u backspace and big ass enter. There was a focus 2001 on there with blue alps, but for some reason the switches looked fake to me.

Yeah those switches looked like these switches to me, I can't remember if it had a windows key or not, though. Either way, they were just too blue to be real alps. The listing is gone otherwise I would have another look at it and try to figure out what they were.

I hope I don't need to clean my switches, either, given that my board has all of the keycaps and looked fairly clean I think I should be OK.

EDIT: I found a picture of the item in question, it looks like it could have had windows keys at one time since there are cutouts in the plate but they seem to narrow to have had actual keys there. IDK

« Last Edit: Fri, 17 June 2016, 19:15:03 by Wingpad »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1933 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 19:09:48 »

Oh nice. Maybe ill cut it down into a 80% for future use or something. My Multistation is very clean in fact, not planning to open those up.

Offline Delirious

« Reply #1934 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 19:18:47 »
I bought one of the green. I just want the dual legend alphas anyway.

This is what the agent sent me.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 June 2016, 19:21:52 by Delirious »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1935 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 19:24:44 »

OH! You were the one who bought the low profile Multistation board.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 June 2016, 19:26:25 by Mattr567 »

Offline Delirious

« Reply #1936 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 19:30:34 »

OH! You were the one who bought the low profile Multistation board.

Guilty as charge, now only if KBP could release a Pegasus Hoof-compatible V80 then my dream is complete.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #1937 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 19:43:32 »

THe unit illustrated is sort of interesting.  The font on the keycaps, straight ANSI layout-- it looks a lot like the mysterious Blue Alps Model M clones as seen on Deskthority.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1938 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 19:45:16 »

THe unit illustrated is sort of interesting.  The font on the keycaps, straight ANSI layout-- it looks a lot like the mysterious Blue Alps Model M clones as seen on Deskthority.

Yep, I posted this earlier. It is the internal of one of those! At least I think it is, same layout, caps etc.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1939 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 20:05:25 »
Really wish I trusted taobao enough to join yall on this Alps adventure. Everyone got a great/interesting haul

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1940 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 20:56:01 »
Really wish I trusted taobao enough to join yall on this Alps adventure. Everyone got a great/interesting haul

Personally I think its pretty safe, we have multiple members who have gotten stuff from there without any issues :) Its all about choosing the right proxy imo. Bhiner is ok but rips you off and Taobaoring is pretty fair and has a good rep around here.

Lol yea everyone got somthing cool. SKCM Blue, SKCL Green, cool caps and more! Really glad I spent the time Taobao-fuing to find the goldmine of a Taobao seller. Navigating the site is quite hard.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #1941 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 21:08:00 »
I dont trust it at all, but at the most ill be out 85$ right now. Im hoping it will come through for me.

Offline emdude

« Reply #1942 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 21:56:33 »

Yeah those switches looked like these switches to me, I can't remember if it had a windows key or not, though. Either way, they were just too blue to be real alps. The listing is gone otherwise I would have another look at it and try to figure out what they were.

I hope I don't need to clean my switches, either, given that my board has all of the keycaps and looked fairly clean I think I should be OK.

EDIT: I found a picture of the item in question, it looks like it could have had windows keys at one time since there are cutouts in the plate but they seem to narrow to have had actual keys there. IDK

Show Image

Yeah, I was very suspicious of the other blue alps boards in the listing, the $7 one was the only board I was certain had SKCM Blues because of the grey switches in the exposed switches.  With the horrible pictures, it was pretty much impossible for me to tell whether they were the real deal or the Simplified Alps Type III clone switches, which appear almost identical apart from the slightly different top shells and the slider color, which is more vivid blue.

I am not sure how common these clone switches are; my impression is that they appeared only for a very brief time in FK-2001s.  Still, that possibility, however minute, their conditions, and my general distrust of Taobao made me just pass on the whole thing entirely.  I should have more SKCM Browns on my way to me anyway, so I don't mind.  :p

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1943 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 22:04:59 »
Yeah, I was very suspicious of the other blue alps boards in the listing, the $7 one was the only board I was certain had SKCM Blues because of the grey switches in the exposed switches.  With the horrible pictures, it was pretty much impossible for me to tell whether they were the real deal or the Simplified Alps Type III clone switches, which appear almost identical apart from the slightly different top shells and the slider color, which is more vivid blue.

I am not sure how common these clone switches are; my impression is that they appeared only for a very brief time in FK-2001s.  Still, that possibility, however minute, their conditions, and my general distrust of Taobao made me just pass on the whole thing entirely.  I should have more SKCM Browns on my way to me anyway, so I don't mind.  :p

Another reason I bought that one also, didn't want to risk getting screwed after all the shipping fee's etc. At first I thought that one board Wingpad mentioned was a KPT switch b/c of the bright slider and bad quality of pics. The other boards look legit however :thumb:
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 June 2016, 22:06:42 by Mattr567 »

Offline emdude

« Reply #1944 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 22:10:20 »
They probably all have a pretty good chance of being genuine, the one board Wingpad was referring to appears to not have switches with the four mounting tabs typical of KPT switches and most other clones.  I am just a scaredy-cat, I've heard many horror stories about dirty alps.. :-[

And I've already got three Alps builds that I have yet to complete, I don't want to make that four by getting yet more Alps. :))
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 June 2016, 22:16:40 by emdude »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1945 on: Fri, 17 June 2016, 22:19:31 »
They probably all have a pretty good chance of being genuine, the one board Wingpad was referring to appears to not have switches with the four mounting tabs typical of KPT switches and most other clones.  I am just a scaredy-cat, I've heard many horror stories about dirty alps.. :-[

Yea, the slider color made me think they were KPT at first, then remembered about those weird type 3 clones with real shells. Tricky switch to identify for sure. I'm confident about my switches coming out well. IMO its only dust, it can be removed. The internals themselves arent broken or anything. Switches that have a ton of grime also are probably well used, so I think that contributes more to the "shot" switches I keep hearing about.

Show Image

Hopefully! Yours looks very clean. I don't mind cleaning Alps switches anymore, i've done it enough times lol. About 230 in switches total :confused:

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #1946 on: Sat, 18 June 2016, 00:24:33 »
I have 103 alps SKBM whites in classifieds. not sure what these are useful for, but if you want em, you can have em. They are  very dirty and probably not worth fixing.(here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=81886.0)Free to anyone in the CONUS, I just ask that you pay shipping (~5$)
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 June 2016, 00:42:06 by mike52787 »

Offline E3E

« Reply #1947 on: Sat, 18 June 2016, 00:53:41 »

Yep, I saw this board, or this batch of boards on TaoBao ages ago, and I considered it when thinking of plates I could use for my NCR Alps project without needing to get one made myself (which I had planned on doing initially, but hey).

The costar-style stabilization and ANSI layout gives it away, in my opinion. I hear that one of them was had from TaoBao, so I wouldn't be surprised. They probably show up every now and then, though of course hopefully not always as beat up as this one.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #1948 on: Sat, 18 June 2016, 01:00:32 »

Personally I think its pretty safe, we have multiple members who have gotten stuff from there without any issues :) Its all about choosing the right proxy imo. Bhiner is ok but rips you off and Taobaoring is pretty fair and has a good rep around here.

Lol yea everyone got somthing cool. SKCM Blue, SKCL Green, cool caps and more! Really glad I spent the time Taobao-fuing to find the goldmine of a Taobao seller. Navigating the site is quite hard.

Yeah, navigating the site is quite hard, I'm just glad I did all the heavy lifting of the account creation process before these boards came up. I already had my address entered and lord knows that took me a good 15-20 minutes to figure out how to enter the first time. I didn't end up going through a proxy just because I don't necessarily trust them. I don't trust Taobao either, to be fair, but I was willing to take a risk with these boards because in the chance I get a good, clean alps blue keyboard I'll be one of the happiest guys around.

Ahhh, now you're starting to scare me a bit, too. crosses fingers please be genuine and not super dirty, taobao blue switches.

Yea, the slider color made me think they were KPT at first, then remembered about those weird type 3 clones with real shells. Tricky switch to identify for sure. I'm confident about my switches coming out well. IMO its only dust, it can be removed. The internals themselves arent broken or anything. Switches that have a ton of grime also are probably well used, so I think that contributes more to the "shot" switches I keep hearing about.

Hopefully! Yours looks very clean. I don't mind cleaning Alps switches anymore, i've done it enough times lol. About 230 in switches total :confused:

That listing is the only one I suspected mostly because of the sliders' color. The other listings looked more consistent with the blue switches we know and love.

Yeah, Alps switches aren't that bad to clean, at least from my experience. I just wonder if the lube used in the SKCM Blues will complicate the process but I am optimistic that it won't after working on some SKCL greens.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #1949 on: Sat, 18 June 2016, 01:12:53 »
Holy **** guys, they dude has a new batch of SKCM Blue boards on the listing! :eek: