Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2458907 times)

Offline emdude

Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #2700 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 20:43:37 »
Well, after months of having the parts lying around in jars and boxes, I finally put together my Alps64 with SKCM Blues.  It might have been more trouble than it was worth to be honest; I feel kinda gross thinking about it, haha.

More

More

Anyhow, my initial impression is that SKCM Blues are just OK in a smaller layout like this.  As I suspected, the sound of the switches are highly dependent on the chassis they are mounted in, so they don't sound as rich in tone as they did when they were in my DC-2014.  Now, I just need to take care of my SKCM Brown build and then I should be pretty happy for a while.
Current drivers: IBM Model M SSK

Offline E3E

« Reply #2701 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 23:39:22 »
Well, after months of having the parts lying around in jars and boxes, I finally put together my Alps64 with SKCM Blues.  It might have been more trouble than it was worth to be honest; I feel kinda gross thinking about it, haha.

More
Show Image

More
Show Image

Anyhow, my initial impression is that SKCM Blues are just OK in a smaller layout like this.  As I suspected, the sound of the switches are highly dependent on the chassis they are mounted in, so they don't sound as rich in tone as they did when they were in my DC-2014.  Now, I just need to take care of my SKCM Brown build and then I should be pretty happy for a while.

Yeah, I definitely agree with you here. I didn't really care for SKCM Blues in my 60% build. The acoustics just aren't as nice as they are in the large plastic case of a vintage board, though I think they sound pretty nice in the Orion. :D

They are most certainly dependent on the chasis they're in though. I remember having SKCM Blue in my bent case Infinity, and while nice, it was a much different sound. It lost that vintage allure. Let me know how that SKCM Brown build turns out!

Offline emdude

« Reply #2702 on: Thu, 04 August 2016, 23:47:40 »
Sure; I did not make a build log for this board, but I think I will for the SKCM Brown one.  It will be kinda unique, I'm going to design a custom plate that utilizes the IBM 5140 layout.  The PBT key caps are really neat, but I only see people using the alphanumerics because of the odd layout.  It'll be interesting to put together a board that uses a BAE, split right shift, and a 1u backspace. :P 

This board was kind of a mess (I might have perhaps rushed things), but I guess I'm happy it turned out just fine in the end.  After using it for a little bit, I'll admit that the sound is still pretty nice, better than SKCM Whites and probably my Ambers too, and it definitely feels great.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 August 2016, 00:02:46 by emdude »

Offline E3E

« Reply #2703 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 00:32:29 »
I'd say the sound is definitely better than the Alps SKCM Ambers' clicks, but yeah. The SKCM Blues still have a nice sound, just different than if it were in a vintage board.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2704 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 03:48:01 »
I have removed the legends from some of the semi-spherical/sculpted caps, and it worked well. now to clean and whiten them. its like 5 minutes of scrubbing with a q tip and brake fluid on each cap. fun. looks like I know what im doing for the next week.
Show Image

It's probably just the picture, but they look just like normal cyclindrical caps from here Oo .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline E3E

« Reply #2705 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 04:05:48 »
I'd say they are cylindrical, as far as I can tell, it's just their skirting with its kind of roundedness that makes their shape reminiscent of spherical caps.  Again, reminds me of like, AEK profile or the Texas Instruments keyboards with SKCM Brown. which are cylindrical, but they have a very odd shape.

I like them though.  :thumb:

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #2706 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 12:10:45 »
Got this beauty in the mail today. Just need to get a cable for it.
Show Image

sent from my chess board
You have to tell me what that is, I want one!

IDOL Japan Corp Model KB-SMK-97

mac white alps vintage.

so heavy. so good. got to find a cable quick i'm dieing to try it out for realz
Where did you get it? are there more?

Are there more? Somewhere, probably. I tried to sell mine for like 3 months because I didn't much like the switches. These were marketed in Japan though so it's unlikely that another one will turn up in the US. On the other hand, this board was based on the Strong Man SMK-97 design which many, many companies rebranded such as Filco, Datadesk, Pioneer, and ELSA (not as well known as they were 20 years ago). I first posted about this particular family of keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/pioneer-and-filco-oem-t12906.html
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2707 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 12:24:38 »
Well, I found a very similar board on yahoo auctions japan. With a little google-fu I found out these have SKCM blacks in them. cool layout. Noone bid against me on this please!
http://japamart.com/auctoolitem.php?url=http://page15.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/t481380565

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2708 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 15:50:39 »
Hey guys, I have a huge favor to ask. I have one of those 20 key Alps Clone numpads coming in the mail, and I would like to make it into a switch tester. I am looking for 1 of each type of SKCM/SKCL switch sans white and blue. Pm me if you can help with this, and we can talk money. I figured this would be a better place to post this than classifieds.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #2709 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 15:52:53 »
Yeah that Japan auction is another Strong Man board. The case design is an obvious giveaway.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #2710 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 16:11:27 »
Hey guys, I have a huge favor to ask. I have one of those 20 key Alps Clone numpads coming in the mail, and I would like to make it into a switch tester. I am looking for 1 of each type of SKCM/SKCL switch sans white and blue. Pm me if you can help with this, and we can talk money. I figured this would be a better place to post this than classifieds.
Your not the first ;) I have been doing the same thing for many month's (almost a year?) with the same numpad and now just need SKCL Brown. I have some extra Matias Clicky, SKCM Orange, Salmon, Cream damp and some SKCL Green and Yellow I believe.
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2711 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 16:15:38 »
Your not the first ;) I have been doing the same thing for many month's (almost a year?) with the same numpad and now just need SKCL Brown. I have some extra Matias Clicky, SKCM Orange, Salmon, Cream damp and some SKCL Green and Yellow I believe.
Show Image

You are the reason I wanted to do it! I just couldnt remember if it was you or e3e that did it. I would love to have those switches. PM me so we can figure out a price and shipping.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #2712 on: Fri, 05 August 2016, 16:17:12 »
The SKCM Blue restro is going well. Changed my method a bit to include lubing the part of the click leaf that comes into contact with the slider. Smoother and retains clickyness. Have done about 40 during my free time. I also found that lubing them and then leaving them overnight to let them sit and soak in a bit then lubing the slider again produces better results. The sliders are very parched so it takes some time for them. Housing and doing work on them using the metal plate from the IBM Multistation, makes for a good surface to work on that keeps them in place.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 August 2016, 16:18:53 by Mattr567 »

Offline Aran.E99

« Reply #2713 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 13:44:55 »
The SKCM Blue restro is going well. Changed my method a bit to include lubing the part of the click leaf that comes into contact with the slider. Smoother and retains clickyness. Have done about 40 during my free time. I also found that lubing them and then leaving them overnight to let them sit and soak in a bit then lubing the slider again produces better results. The sliders are very parched so it takes some time for them. Housing and doing work on them using the metal plate from the IBM Multistation, makes for a good surface to work on that keeps them in place.
Show Image

is it weird that i think that picture is sexual? :p
SMK 2nd Gen Blue Alps mount <3

Offline Aran.E99

« Reply #2714 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 13:58:31 »
i know that some boards are not alps but i thought i would add them to save taking multiple pictures. currently i have a chicony kb-5185 (SMKs) (not pictured), a dell at102w (dirty af), a dell at101w (modded). my non alps are ibm model M 1394428 and a NEC APC-H412 (NEC ovals). i guess ovals are sort of similar to alps but not similar, which made no sense :p. I also have a homemade mini cherry mx board, but who cares about cherry mx xD. to further appreciate alps, i am in the process of building an alps number pad from acrylic. i need to get some alps switches to make it possible though.

144544-0

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2715 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 14:10:38 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:24:08 by alienman82 »

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #2716 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 15:05:34 »

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2717 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 15:19:30 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:24:02 by alienman82 »

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2718 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 15:20:19 »

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #2719 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 16:10:34 »
I'd appreciate it if you appreciated some ambers

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2720 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 16:30:15 »
inear Gaterons are very comparable and also have the advantages of better off-center presses and more resistance to dirt and debris.

But any tactile or clicky Cherry is beat by ALPS 10:1, tactile Cherry just sucks. Only one worth it is MX Clears because of their unique feel.

Offline Aran.E99

« Reply #2721 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 17:29:58 »

Show Image

i'd appreciate ambers if i could get some along with greens and blues :p

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2722 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 17:31:15 »

Show Image

Id appreciate it if you would let me buy one of those from you for my switch tester project

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #2723 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 17:32:58 »

Show Image

Id appreciate it if you would let me buy one of those from you for my switch tester project

Once I get my hand on the other handful I need for my TKL, I'll give you one =)

Offline Aran.E99

« Reply #2724 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 17:36:48 »

what number pad is this? could you link me. i am trying a similar project but i want to make mine out of acrylic and noticed that you are getting one. it would save a lot of time :p

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #2725 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 17:40:55 »
Damn my indecisiveness!

There was a Xerox 6085 on eBay available, but someone got it. It has more switches than IBM 5140, and is a keyboard in its own right. However, IBM could be made to work relatively easy, and for Xerox it would either need to be hand-wired or "scrapped" for switches. I hate choices like this.
Sorry to necro this but there was a 6085 on eBay? Darn. That's what I get for stepping away from the keyboard community for a week. And it went for only $129.00? Oh, woe is me.

Show Image

Interesting, I will have to try this when I get around to working on my switches again. I am glad to hear the restore is going well, though.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 August 2016, 17:42:46 by Wingpad »

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2726 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 17:43:13 »

what number pad is this? could you link me. i am trying a similar project but i want to make mine out of acrylic and noticed that you are getting one. it would save a lot of time :p
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272305990001?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=571142535190&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Offline Aran.E99

« Reply #2727 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 17:46:27 »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272305990001?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=571142535190&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

thank you, going to buy one as soon as possible considering its free shipping!

step 2: desolder one switch from each of my keyboards :p (i might try to get a couple greens, blues, oranges and even ambers and make it layered instead of individual switches)

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2728 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 18:23:21 »

step 2: desolder one switch from each of my keyboards :p (i might try to get a couple greens, blues, oranges and even ambers and make it layered instead of individual switches)
I can send a few blues your way once I get the lube in the mail and get them cleaned up.

Offline Aran.E99

« Reply #2729 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 18:34:53 »

I can send a few blues your way once I get the lube in the mail and get them cleaned up.

that would be great thanks but the shipping would be around the same price as before. if the shipping is less it would be fine but would you mind throwing in a couple whites so that i can use them on the number pad too. then it would mean i'm getting my moneys worth of shipping. :p

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2730 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 18:43:29 »

that would be great thanks but the shipping would be around the same price as before. if the shipping is less it would be fine but would you mind throwing in a couple whites so that i can use them on the number pad too. then it would mean i'm getting my moneys worth of shipping. :p
sure, Ill let you know when Im done with them.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2731 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 19:42:52 »
Anybody got a at101w keycap set you could sell me?
nevermind I got one
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 August 2016, 22:35:42 by mike52787 »

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2732 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 19:48:49 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:23:59 by alienman82 »

Offline E3E

« Reply #2733 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 20:15:18 »
Damn my indecisiveness!

There was a Xerox 6085 on eBay available, but someone got it. It has more switches than IBM 5140, and is a keyboard in its own right. However, IBM could be made to work relatively easy, and for Xerox it would either need to be hand-wired or "scrapped" for switches. I hate choices like this.
Sorry to necro this but there was a 6085 on eBay? Darn. That's what I get for stepping away from the keyboard community for a week. And it went for only $129.00? Oh, woe is me.

Dude, there were like four of them on eBay for nearly half a year. :P

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=Xerox%20keyboard&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Also, someone with reverse engineering skills could figure out the protocol. In fact, someone pretty much has, I think:

But no one has made a converter for it. :(

Additional notes from Hasu when he posted on my Docutech restoration thread on Deskthority:

Just skimed over bitsavers.org.
This keyboard looks very similar or identical to Xerox 6085 workstation keyboard. You can find tech references under here to make converter for it. http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/www. ... erox/6085/

Seem like it spits out 3 bytes for keys and mouse on differential bus at 9600 baud.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 August 2016, 20:17:59 by E3E »

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #2734 on: Sat, 06 August 2016, 21:51:50 »
Anybody got a at101w keycap set you could sell me?

Pm me.
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline ED2914

« Reply #2735 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 04:10:34 »
Hi guys,
I have bought a fake Model M at taobao recently, and it arrived yesterday.
At lease the blue alps is real :thumb: I will disassemble this board very soon.

The label should be real.

Interesting keycaps.

Only mark on the PCB.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2736 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 09:06:32 »

At lease the blue alps is real

Try to get it working and save the PCB if at all possible.

A true-ANSI blue alps keyboard is far more rare and desirable than a Model M, particularly in a solid case.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2737 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 09:45:03 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:23:54 by alienman82 »

Offline ED2914

« Reply #2738 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 11:30:35 »

At lease the blue alps is real

Try to get it working and save the PCB if at all possible.

A true-ANSI blue alps keyboard is far more rare and desirable than a Model M, particularly in a solid case.

I may give it a try, but the PCB is slightly broken as you can see in the photo.
And I will need a Model M cable too.

Discussion about the board.
https://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/no-joke-model-m-with-blue-alps-t3894.html

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #2739 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 13:47:47 »

The biggest problem is that most of the legacy Alps keyboards have their own unique layout. 

I bought a set of the modern "Dolch-esque" doubleshots a few months ago, and they are very nice, but the bottom row is not compatible with the common vintage boards like Dell, Northgate, and Focus. Is is very sad.
It is not a perfect solution, but I filled out an Alps-mount Tai-Hao Dolch set on a vintage Winkeyless board using a black 7.0x spacebar and blank black 1.5x bottom-row caps from Matias. It looks passably okay to me, because the color on the bottom row is consistent.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2740 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 13:49:09 »
Hi guys,
At lease the blue alps is real :thumb: I will disassemble this board very soon.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

The label should be real.

Show Image

Interesting keycaps.

Show Image

Only mark on the PCB.

Show Image

that's very cool.  I would like one of those if I could find it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If youre planning on fixing up the board I can send you some of the caps youre missing.

Offline E3E

« Reply #2741 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 15:08:28 »

The biggest problem is that most of the legacy Alps keyboards have their own unique layout. 

I bought a set of the modern "Dolch-esque" doubleshots a few months ago, and they are very nice, but the bottom row is not compatible with the common vintage boards like Dell, Northgate, and Focus. Is is very sad.
It is not a perfect solution, but I filled out an Alps-mount Tai-Hao Dolch set on a vintage Winkeyless board using a black 7.0x spacebar and blank black 1.5x bottom-row caps from Matias. It looks passably okay to me, because the color on the bottom row is consistent.

Does Matias' 7u space bar use traditional Alps stabs or Costar/cruciform mount?

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #2742 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 15:18:29 »
@E3E: The Matias 7.0x spacebar has an Alps-mount in the center and cruciform insert mounts near the edges. I was able to fit the spacebar in an Omnikey 101 by using Matias clips for smaller stablized keys and the stabilizer wire from Matias for the 7.0x spacebar. The clips on the Omnikey keyboard were just a tad too tight -- the Omnikey stabilizer wire is slightly thinner than the Matias wire.

The other stabilized keys from Matias use the rectangular-mount Alps inserts.

Offline emdude

« Reply #2743 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 15:21:49 »
So the 7u spacebar does use Costar-style stabilizers?  It sounds like you can use it with a plate that uses Alps-style stab inserts though, which is good..

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #2744 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 17:20:46 »
Do you guys think this is Alps? http://www.ebay.com/itm/291119068552

Reminds me of the SGI Button Box, and that had LED'd SKCL Gray's.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2745 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 17:39:03 »

Never seen any Alps thing that looks like that Oo . Could be, though.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #2746 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 17:45:53 »

Never seen any Alps thing that looks like that Oo . Could be, though.
Here is what the SGI looks like

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #2747 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 17:52:31 »
So the 7u spacebar does use Costar-style stabilizers?  It sounds like you can use it with a plate that uses Alps-style stab inserts though, which is good..
Yes, luckily it worked for me on the Omnikey 101. However, I have seen all sorts of variations on spacebar sizes and stabilizer schemes in Alps-switch keyboards -- sort of like a box of chocolates. ;)

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2748 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 18:23:44 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:23:49 by alienman82 »

Offline Norman_the_Owl

« Reply #2749 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 18:27:19 »