Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2458504 times)

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #2800 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 15:53:35 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:22:53 by alienman82 »

Offline E3E

« Reply #2801 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 15:55:27 »
I'm guessing that's the p/n of the Apple IIC itself, the actualy keyboard number is like xxx-xxxx

Trying to find the keyboard itself alone? I've seen a replacement model come with SKCM Blue. I threw mine out after desoldering so I have no idea what the keyboard model # would be. Didn't find anything on your Apple IIc when you got it in?

Offline alh84001

« Reply #2802 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 15:58:44 »
not to rub it in, but could have had the seller ship just the keyboard and saved on that $40 shipping.  Well I am sure there will be more.  It was a mass production in the USA, so I think you can find them later on.  Are ambers clicky or no?

Well, I didn't get that one either, as I was away from computer this weekend. So it's not rubbing it in. Or it's rubbing it in even more, depending on how you look at it ;)

And Ambers are clicky. Heavy and clicky.

I've seen a replacement model come with SKCM Blue. I threw mine out after desoldering

That blue alps one was weird to see. And too bad for the assembly. It could have made some A2S4000 happy, just putting in  blacks, creams, whites or whatever was laying around.....with retroconnector it could be used as a keyboard in it's own right :)

« Last Edit: Mon, 08 August 2016, 16:01:49 by alh84001 »

Offline emdude

« Reply #2803 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 16:02:15 »
Yeah, Ambers are quite tactile, like SKCM Browns, but the drop in resistance is sharp like other clicky SKCMs and not rounded like Browns.  They feel rather nice and sound pretty decent.
Current drivers: IBM Model M SSK

Offline E3E

« Reply #2804 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 16:05:51 »
Yeah, Ambers are quite tactile, like SKCM Browns, but the drop in resistance is sharp like other clicky SKCMs and not rounded like Browns.  They feel quite nice and sound pretty decent.

Their tactility reminded me of the time when I got my first Alps keyboard, an NTC 6151N, ignorant of the world of Alps and skeptical of the authenticity of the SKCM Blues, opened one up and bent the click leaf by accident, making it far more tactile.

« Last Edit: Mon, 08 August 2016, 16:09:18 by E3E »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #2805 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 16:22:43 »
Have a very great find like klennkellon's Packard Bell on its way off craigslist!!

My best find by far :D
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline E3E

« Reply #2806 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 16:37:07 »
Have a very great find like klennkellon's Packard Bell on its way off craigslist!!

One might even say that your find itself is...

A PACKARD BELL!  :eek:

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #2807 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 16:44:10 »

One might even say that your find itself is...

A PACKARD BELL!  :eek:
Yea lol all these deez Packard Bell's lately :))

Offline emdude

« Reply #2808 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 16:48:51 »
Ooh, what are the switches? :eek:

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2809 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 17:10:53 »

Congrats! Is it the same type of board with SKCL Brown? We're lucky as hell xD

Coincidentally, the last thing of interest I found at the same thrift store was also a Packard Bell. I got excited and thought it used those excellent BTC domes but it turns out it's using some obscure but lame feeling Fujitsu domes with slider. I did at least get a Focus style split right shift and big-ass enter cap out of it.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #2810 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 18:08:23 »

Congrats! Is it the same type of board with SKCL Brown? We're lucky as hell xD

Coincidentally, the last thing of interest I found at the same thrift store was also a Packard Bell. I got excited and thought it used those excellent BTC domes but it turns out it's using some obscure but lame feeling Fujitsu domes with slider. I did at least get a Focus style split right shift and big-ass enter cap out of it.

Even better. The T9201. SKCM Blue, Alps Electric doubleshot caps, completely normal ANSI layout and a heavy metal backplate to boot! Its combines everything l love about the ZKB-2, DC-3014 and the KB101A all in one package :D All for $25.

Pics from kbd.rzw.jp
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 August 2016, 18:12:28 by Mattr567 »

Offline emdude

« Reply #2811 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 18:12:45 »
Whoa, very nice find. :)

Out of curiosity, does it have the white or gold LED sticker?
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 August 2016, 18:15:53 by emdude »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2812 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 18:13:16 »
Jeez, there's some Alps gold being dug up here recently, one amazing find after the other xD .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #2813 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 18:19:26 »
Whoa, very nice find. :)

Out of curiosity, does it have the white or gold LED sticker?
White. That particular one is just yellowed. Here is the one I bought. Almost no yellowing whatsoever :eek:

Offline emdude

« Reply #2814 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 18:23:00 »
Okay wow, that $25 price tag sounded familiar.  I actually saw this listing a few weeks ago but I passed on it because I couldn't get the seller to pull a cap.  Were you able to manage it?

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #2815 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 18:33:58 »
Okay wow, that $25 price tag sounded familiar.  I actually saw this listing a few weeks ago but I passed on it because I couldn't get the seller to pull a cap.  Were you able to manage it?
No. I'm guessing. SKCM Blue seems to be the most common, only one example has been found to have SKCM White. Otherwise there are many more examples I have found online so far with SKCM Blue. The reason I didn't ask is unique. There's actually quite the story behind this. E3E tried to get this for a while but the guy just went dead on him randomly. He never responded to me the first time. He just relisted it a couple days ago and he responded and I nabbed it. Lucky the seller even went through with it. Asking to pull a cap may have been suicide.

it very likely is.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 August 2016, 18:35:53 by Mattr567 »

Offline E3E

« Reply #2816 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 18:36:07 »
Yep, I was after that one too, but the seller went unresponsive. You win some, you lose some. Haha yeah, asking to pull of cap might've tipped the boat. Best to make things as simple as possible. I mean, it's a hell of a price any way you cut it.

Yeah, the indicator labels can yellow on most boards. Was that material mylar or something? Either way, once they yellow, there's nothing that will restore them. Retrobrighting won't do it.

My Focus FK-555 is the only one of the FK-555s  I've seen that doesn't have a yellowed function row strip. Most of them are beige.

Good find. These can be SKCM White and SKCM Orange from what I have seen, but by all likelihood, it's going to be SKCM Blue.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 August 2016, 18:37:53 by E3E »

Offline emdude

« Reply #2817 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 18:39:20 »
Okay, I did not know that E3E was also pursuing this at one point.

I was wondering because of the chance of it being SKCM White like you've mentioned.  All other examples of the board with SKCM Blues had the gold LED sticker, including this one.

Sandy's own documentation of the board had a version of it with a white/grey label and SKCM Whites.  I was about to get this board but when I saw this I changed my mind.  I'm not much of a risk-taker when it comes to poorly-documented boards. :P  Didn't know the labels could yellow though. TIL!

Hopefully your board does end up having SKCM Blues though.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 August 2016, 18:46:48 by emdude »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #2818 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 18:45:51 »
Yep, I was after that one too, but the seller went unresponsive. You win some, you lose some. Haha yeah, asking to pull of cap might've tipped the boat. Best to make things as simple as possible. I mean, it's a hell of a price any way you cut it.

Yeah, the indicator labels can yellow on most boards. Was that material mylar or something? Either way, once they yellow, there's nothing that will restore them. Retrobrighting won't do it.

My Focus FK-555 is the only one of the FK-555s  I've seen that doesn't have a yellowed function row strip. Most of them are beige.

Good find. These can be SKCM White and SKCM Orange from what I have seen, but by all likelihood, it's going to be SKCM Blue.
Sandy swapped SKCM Orange into that one I think. "Post products retrofit to all switches extraction ALPS orange for iron plate poor but save the state had been using the ALPS white axis switch also rust was awful"

I was wondering because of the chance of it being SKCM White like you've mentioned.  All other examples of the board with SKCM Blues have the gold LED sticker, including this one.

Sandy's own documentation of the board has a version of it with a white/grey label and SKCM Whites.  I was about to get this board but when I saw this I changed my mind.  I'm not much of a risk-taker when it comes to poorly-documented boards. :P  Didn't know they could yellow though. TIL!

I'm pretty sure the sticker has nothing to do with it. Just age and condition. In general it seems the LED sticker yellows before the rest of the board does imo.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 August 2016, 18:47:49 by Mattr567 »

Offline emdude

« Reply #2819 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 18:52:08 »
Wow, I guess I might have missed out here. :))  Thanks for all the info.

Offline E3E

« Reply #2820 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 18:59:05 »

Sandy swapped SKCM Orange into that one I think. "Post products retrofit to all switches extraction ALPS orange for iron plate poor but save the state had been using the ALPS white axis switch also rust was awful"

I was wondering because of the chance of it being SKCM White like you've mentioned.  All other examples of the board with SKCM Blues have the gold LED sticker, including this one.

Sandy's own documentation of the board has a version of it with a white/grey label and SKCM Whites.  I was about to get this board but when I saw this I changed my mind.  I'm not much of a risk-taker when it comes to poorly-documented boards. :P  Didn't know they could yellow though. TIL!

I'm pretty sure the sticker has nothing to do with it. Just age and condition. In general it seems the LED sticker yellows before the rest of the board does imo.

Oh, so he swapped. Gotcha. Then it's a board with white or blue switches. Yeah, I was pretty surprised to see orange. Even in the Wang, that's odd. It's pretty much an Apple exclusive switch.

Yeah the sticker is just something that yellows like the rest. Not sure if it's because of heat or sunlight, but yeah. It's pretty ew. LED windows can have this happen to and those don't seem to brighten with RB either.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2821 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 20:42:56 »
A bit jealous. As much as I like these I still prefer clicky or tactile switches

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #2822 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 21:18:26 »
I'm guessing that's the p/n of the Apple IIC itself, the actualy keyboard number is like xxx-xxxx

Trying to find the keyboard itself alone? I've seen a replacement model come with SKCM Blue. I threw mine out after desoldering so I have no idea what the keyboard model # would be. Didn't find anything on your Apple IIc when you got it in?

p/n on the keyboard part on the back is 658-4087...probably useless on eBay though I guess, better off just grabbing another IIC and hoping it's Ambers?

Offline Dokyun

« Reply #2823 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 23:12:01 »
On the subject of Alps things found, this showed up at the recycling center over the weekend:

It's a Sharp CE-671NK numpad. Gorgeous 3-tone grey scheme and thick doubleshot caps. Mmm.

...Pity about the actual switches. I'd never tried low-profile Alps before and they're really not great. They remind me of Cherry ML but with a better bump. It also uses something called a DHF-10 connector which disqualifies it from easy use. I'm not even sure what device this originally went to, there's nothing on the internet about it and the best I could find was the FCC ID being registered in 91. I figured there was no way this wouldn't be just using PS/2 internally but I'm not sure now I really care enough to try and make it work. The switches are PCB mount which rules out throwing in something nicer so...eh. The caps are keepers, at least.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2824 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 23:25:57 »
A lot of low profile switches feel lame. I'd say to just use a scissor switch or something like that.

Offline emdude

« Reply #2825 on: Mon, 08 August 2016, 23:26:59 »
Ooh, that looks neat.  The key caps look like they were made by Tai-hao, are they doubleshot?

Offline emdude

« Reply #2826 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 02:01:16 »
A quick question, please: Does anyone know if SKCM Browns are lubricated?  I am prepping for my 60% 5140 build and want to clean the switches up a bit before I start it.  It does not appear that they are.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2827 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 02:10:58 »
A quick question, please: Does anyone know if SKCM Browns are lubricated?  I am prepping for my 60% 5140 build and want to clean the switches up a bit before I start it.  It does not appear that they are.
I'm pretty certain they use dry lubricant, I think ALPS did this until (SKCM Salmon I think?) and then they switched to a smoother plastic in exchange.

Offline emdude

« Reply #2828 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 02:54:49 »
I'm pretty certain they use dry lubricant, I think ALPS did this until (SKCM Salmon I think?) and then they switched to a smoother plastic in exchange.

Yeah, I'm aware of this.  I don't think I've ever seen a lubricated SKCM Brown slider though, not with my own switches nor in photos.  I've heard of some SKCL Greens not having any dry lubricant, at least in one instance.  Rather strange.  Perhaps the stuff has simply worn off or something.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #2829 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 12:37:31 »
Looks like a Acer KB101A, with SKCM White? Its with a whole system so no use getting it I suppose. My grandparents have a house up there in the Anza desert actually.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/sys/5724039748.html
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 August 2016, 12:39:31 by Mattr567 »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2830 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 12:46:08 »
Looks like a Acer KB101A, with SKCM White? Its with a whole system so no use getting it I suppose. My grandparents have a house up there in the Anza desert actually.

Probably a 6011, they could come with the same case as the KB-101A. In fact, that case model made it into the 6300 series, even.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2831 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 14:49:15 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:22:05 by alienman82 »

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2832 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 14:55:27 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:22:02 by alienman82 »

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2833 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 14:56:17 »

Just looking through that same page I found a listing for 2 5140s for $250. Have you tried getting in touch with the seller?

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #2834 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 15:09:26 »

Just looking through that same page I found a listing for 2 5140s for $250. Have you tried getting in touch with the seller?
Yea, tried that a while ago. He wanted too much for the broken one like $70. Tried to re contact him a couple weeks back and he never responded, probably recognized me. I was going to buy it but I backed out. He's actually like 5min from my house lol.

You can tell the prices are too high since they have been on clist for like forever :p
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 August 2016, 15:11:20 by Mattr567 »

Offline E3E

« Reply #2835 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 18:27:42 »
I've been told that GON took the original cherry pcb and make mods to it to work work alps.  I am still not sure about the plate.  obviously it's different by color and size.  I think he might have had one custom cut or something.  I was also told that it costs a very high fee.

I'd charge a lot for those mods too, haha. It's no walk through the park.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #2836 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 21:59:52 »
Well this is going real cheap, NIB http://www.ebay.com/itm/302032113407

Used to have one actually, was my first Alps board. SKCM Black.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2837 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 22:19:58 »

Neat, do you know if they came with the late blacks or the earlier ones?

The shipping kind of kills it for me, though so I'll pass.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #2838 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 22:36:35 »

No slits, late. Mine felt like crap :(

Yea, shipping is ok but for the price no. The box is pretty cool though. For over 20 years, Alps has built the finest keyboards for some of the worlds largest computer companies. As the worlds largest manufacturer of keyswitches and one of the largest manufacturers of keyboards, we're proud to say that we have earned an industry-wide reputation for quality and reliability

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2839 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 22:41:00 »

Yea, shipping is ok but for the price no. The box is pretty cool though. For over 20 years, Alps has built the finest keyboards for some of the worlds largest computer companies. As the worlds largest manufacturer of keyswitches and one of the largest manufacturers of keyboards, we're proud to say that we have earned an industry-wide reputation for quality and reliability
If only alps had won the keyboard wars :(
Shipping to me is only 15$, but I m really wallethacked. This is not for me. Anyway, I dont really need another bigass enter and 1u backspace alps board.

Offline E3E

« Reply #2840 on: Tue, 09 August 2016, 23:55:13 »

That description warms my heart. It's a shame Alps couldn't keep it together. Another plus to this keyboard would be the double shots. They are ABS DS, right? It's a shame it's BAE, but you'd get some nice alphas out of it if it is typical Alps DS ABS.

Wait no, that asterisk on the num pad gives it away. That's usually seen on dyesubbed or pad printed sets from what I've seen. :-X
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 August 2016, 23:57:08 by E3E »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #2841 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 00:21:16 »

That description warms my heart. It's a shame Alps couldn't keep it together. Another plus to this keyboard would be the double shots. They are ABS DS, right? It's a shame it's BAE, but you'd get some nice alphas out of it if it is typical Alps DS ABS.

Wait no, that asterisk on the num pad gives it away. That's usually seen on dyesubbed or pad printed sets from what I've seen. :-X
They're pad printed. Pretty thin and cheap caps, and bamboo SKCM Black aren't the best. My examples at least from that board felt like they were full of sand. Mine was made in 95-96 if I remember correctly. It was nearing the end :( Build quality was alright though.

That board is one of those you keep in its box and preserve. Wonder if you still could send in the card for the lifetime warranty lol :))

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2842 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 00:36:51 »
Yeah Bamboo blacks are pretty lame, they're great as a first timers switch and definitely better than MX Browns but there are definitely a lot of better tactile switches.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2843 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 04:19:13 »

That description warms my heart. It's a shame Alps couldn't keep it together.
Yeah, definitely D: . Of course, the reason they couldn't is because they didn't have to. As soon as making keyswitches turned less lucrative, they just focused on different things. Alps is a massive company so in a way it wasn't much more than an inconvenience. Cherry never had that choice, so they had to stay in the market.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #2844 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 13:12:41 »
YES!!!!!!!!!! :D  :eek:

More pics soon, need to crack this beast open and clean! Its all seems to be surface dirt and nothing serious. The Blues have Alps logos as well.

Offline alh84001

« Reply #2845 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 13:16:16 »
Congrats :)

Offline emdude

« Reply #2846 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 13:16:53 »
Nice! :eek:

That the top housings have Alps logos is particularly interesting, late SKCM Blues it would seem.

EDIT: I am guessing they also have white switchplates too?
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 August 2016, 13:50:50 by emdude »

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2847 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 13:20:07 »
Niiiiiiiiice! Another Packard Bell! lol

Offline Dokyun

« Reply #2848 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 13:33:19 »
where are all these packard bells coming from and please tell me where to find the next one, god bless

Offline E3E

« Reply #2849 on: Wed, 10 August 2016, 18:13:52 »
Yeah, definitely D: . Of course, the reason they couldn't is because they didn't have to. As soon as making keyswitches turned less lucrative, they just focused on different things. Alps is a massive company so in a way it wasn't much more than an inconvenience. Cherry never had that choice, so they had to stay in the market.

That's true, Alps is a much larger company. It's easy to see them as the underdog when you're just looking at these to as if they were just keyboard switch companies, but Alps always had more going for it. It wasn't just a start-up that couldn't keep up with Cherry. :P

YES!!!!!!!!!! :D  :eek:
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

More pics soon, need to crack this beast open and clean! Its all seems to be surface dirt and nothing serious. The Blues have Alps logos as well.

Photek bought one off off hammergammeler and it also had blue Alps with logos. It seems to be a trend with this one. The only other I've seen that with was the Apple IIc replacement keyboard.

Nice! :eek:

That the top housings have Alps logos is particularly interesting, late SKCM Blues it would seem.

EDIT: I am guessing they also have white switchplates too?

If they didn't, I'd be surprised. I have some no logo blues with white switch plates. I wonder if these have long or short plates. I'm guessing they're still long though. Orange had long switch plates even with the logos on the housings.

Gotta wonder HOW late these are, because my Acer and Leading Edge are both from 1989 and don't have switches with the logos. One even has grey switch plates while the other has white. So those two probably used left over stock. I guess these were actually from batches made in the late late 80s.