Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2458492 times)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #2900 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 04:55:32 »
Did anyone here ever try those clicky green Alps clones on those XM Ducky's awhile back? I've heard the build quality of the board itself was complete trash but interested in the switches, they had a neat sound.
I own a loose switch, it's one of the copper leaf-based clones, which I've found lacking, personally. Of course it's hard to say without a whole board though. Tbh of all the Alps clones I've found, there were only few I considered interesting, and this was not one of them :p .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2901 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 07:27:57 »

Did anyone here ever try those clicky green Alps clones on those XM Ducky's awhile back? I've heard the build quality of the board itself was complete trash but interested in the switches, they had a neat sound.

The board is not bad, people are quick to criticize anything, look at the relentless trashing that Unicomp receives.
Personally, I don't feel all that much difference between most modern plastic keyboards, although Filco is better.

I have one that I put orange Alps into and populated it mostly with Apple caps, and it is a pretty nice little board.

But those XM switches were not to my taste at all, Matias are much better.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2902 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 12:35:28 »
I too have a loose switch, not very interesting. feels like skbm switches to me. I can send you the loose switch if you want

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #2903 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 13:00:32 »
When I first got into mechanical keyboards, before I really knew anything that was the first board I wanted. Had a neat sound like you said.
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2904 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 15:22:24 »
When I first got into mechanical keyboards, before I really knew anything that was the first board I wanted. Had a neat sound like you said.

It was almost my first mechanical board, but I was exactly a dollar short, so I had to get a Blackwidow with MX Blues.

There was a video of a guy who used the linear black XM clones and he really didn't like them, apparently the actuation point on them was super-duper high so even the slightest bump would activate the key.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2905 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 15:36:27 »

There was a video of a guy who used the linear black XM clones and he really didn't like them, apparently the actuation point on them was super-duper high so even the slightest bump would activate the key.

High actuation is one of the greatest advantages of Alps and similar.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2906 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 16:40:43 »

High actuation is one of the greatest advantages of Alps and similar.
I'm aware of this, but it was even higher.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #2907 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 21:31:05 »
Damn, Alps switches are so pretty

Offline E3E

« Reply #2908 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 21:47:46 »
Alps switches are the prettiest switches, just not when they're clones and have clear housings. :P

Alps SKCM Green (pine) is my favorite switch aesthetically. I like the kind of off white, but bright color of SKCM Cream a lot too.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2909 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 21:49:09 »
As pretty as they are, if they had an MX mount my life would be complete.

Offline E3E

« Reply #2910 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 21:54:17 »
I love the look of Alps sliders, but this is painfully true. That makes me wonder how the keyboard community would be split if they were MX compatible.

This also makes me wonder if some ambitious soul would ever try and produce replacement sliders for SKCM/SKCL switches that are MX compatible. I feel like someone might try it within the next three years.  :-X

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2911 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 22:07:37 »
Those MX to Alps adapters exist but they're damn expensive and not flawless, if I recall they make the keys sit slightly higher up and it makes them look like they're wobblier. I haven't been able to find them.

There is a 3D model floating around somewhere so I suppose anyone could go and make one.

Offline E3E

« Reply #2912 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 22:12:30 »
Those MX to Alps adapters exist but they're damn expensive and not flawless, if I recall they make the keys sit slightly higher up and it makes them look like they're wobblier. I haven't been able to find them.

There is a 3D model floating around somewhere so I suppose anyone could go and make one.

I made my own adapter out of styrene tubing + a rod (and some dremel work) to mount my wingnut cap on my Hammer Alps keyboard, but that was a special thing.

It is true that they cause the caps to sit quite a bit higher, and it's just not a natural look, in my opinion. I don't like the adapters because of that, which is why I was thinking slider swaps, kind of like Topre.

One issue I see happening is that the mounting stem on the cap might be too wide and mess with the slider's travel into the housing.

Wait, nevermind. I severely overestimated the size of MX cap stems. The Alps slider dwarfs it. So full slider swaps with MX mounts are feasible.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 August 2016, 22:16:14 by E3E »

Offline unoab

« Reply #2913 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 23:27:16 »
One issue I see happening is that the mounting stem on the cap might be too wide and mess with the slider's travel into the housing.

Wait, nevermind. I severely overestimated the size of MX cap stems. The Alps slider dwarfs it. So full slider swaps with MX mounts are feasible.

Not too sure what alps switchtops you checked, but the openings on some SKCM oranges I have are about 5.4mm for the smaller dimension of the opening, which is about 0.1mm less than the stems on SA caps which I measured at about 5.5mm, and 0.2mm smaller than some cherry double shots I had around where the stems measure about 5.6mm wide.

Offline emdude

« Reply #2914 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 23:41:47 »
Damn, Alps switches are so pretty
Show Image

Show Image

Yeah!  I love the color of Amber Alps sliders. :-*

As pretty as they are, if they had an MX mount my life would be complete.

Well, there's alps.tw's upcoming i-Rocks switches; granted, they're still clones essentially, but a step in the right direction perhaps?
Current drivers: IBM Model M SSK

Offline E3E

« Reply #2915 on: Fri, 12 August 2016, 23:57:10 »
Not too sure what alps switchtops you checked, but the openings on some SKCM oranges I have are about 5.4mm for the smaller dimension of the opening, which is about 0.1mm less than the stems on SA caps which I measured at about 5.5mm, and 0.2mm smaller than some cherry double shots I had around where the stems measure about 5.6mm wide.

Yeah, it was a quick eyeing. I noticed that the clearance might be too wide vertically, but I didn't want to keep editing my posts and seem like a know-it-all or make the message convoluted.

Yeah, the stems are a hair too wide on OG Cherry doubleshots for vertical clearance.  I get a 5.62mm measurment on the stem with my calipers, indeed.

Alps vertical clearance is 5.54mm. Used an SKCL top housing, but they're obviously all the same in that regard, at least with Alps SKCL/SKCM.

I managed to get the stem through a housing with a bit of force, but obviously, this kills the proposition. You'd either have to shave the stems on the caps or the housing opening, which would then just become even more of a dust hazard.

I guess the best solution would be modified top housings AND modified stems withe a Cherry MX mount that still used the same internal dimensions of the original Alps sliders on the bottom end so it wouldn't alter the feel of the stem acting on the tactile or clicky leaves, but then that'd already be too complicated. I don't think anyone makes housings with slits anymore, so it'd probably already be quite an investment. If we use housings without the slits, then that'd alter the feel of almost every popular switch. The only switch it wouldn't effect that people like are bamboo SKCM Green. Some like bamboo SKCM Black, but still.

All to use your favorite Cherry caps. Eh.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 August 2016, 00:07:10 by E3E »

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2916 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 00:05:35 »
This is going to sound weird, but the skcl brown board still has a very noticable "New Plastic/Electronic" smell to it.

Offline unoab

« Reply #2917 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 00:10:20 »
I managed to get the stem through a housing with a bit of force, but obviously, this kills the proposition. You'd either have to shave the stems on the caps or the housing opening, which would then just become even more of a dust hazard.

I guess the best solution would be modified top housings AND modified stems withe a Cherry MX mount that still used the same internal dimensions of the original Alps sliders on the bottom end so it wouldn't alter the feel of the stem acting on the tactile or clicky leaves, but then that'd already be too complicated. I don't think anyone makes housings with slits anymore, so it'd probably already be quite an investment. If we use housings without the slits, then that'd alter the feel of almost every popular switch. The only switch it wouldn't effect that people like are bamboo SKCM Green. Some like bamboo SKCM Black, but still.

Yea, that's about the same I noticed, cherry caps were a no go without force, SA caps were snug but would go through with a slight interference fit.

And as for the dust, I wonder if someone made a QMX-ish like rubber/silicone top to prevent things from getting around the keycap stem if that could help with some of that, though just like all the other options, it would affect the switch feel too.

Offline E3E

« Reply #2918 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 00:27:08 »
This is going to sound weird, but the skcl brown board still has a very noticable "New Plastic/Electronic" smell to it.

I love that smell! My Docutechs still have it for whatever reason after being used in a print shop like that and even after retrobrighting, lol. My NeXT keyboard also has it. 

Now I need to go smell all of my keyboards, dammit. Wow, the smell of electronics is weird and pleasant and probably toxic :P.

Yea, that's about the same I noticed, cherry caps were a no go without force, SA caps were snug but would go through with a slight interference fit.

And as for the dust, I wonder if someone made a QMX-ish like rubber/silicone top to prevent things from getting around the keycap stem if that could help with some of that, though just like all the other options, it would affect the switch feel too.

Yeah, Alps seem so sensitive to any addition or subtraction to the switch, that it would be hard not to really just end up with something that's not quite right. I think part of the appeal to Alps is FINDING your favorite key caps, though the hardcore Cherry collectors do the same with the OG cap sets and such, but it's almost your only option for Alps.

Cobbling together boards from parts is fun, as well as finding boards with cool switches and documenting them. From hoping your get SKCM Blues in a vintage board that can have a dozen different switches, to trying to track down and find some of the rarer switches. It's an awesome if not frustrating at times aspect to Alps.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #2919 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 01:19:59 »
My NeXT has that smell too. But the strongest by far is my G80-11800. That things smells like it just came right out of the german factory!

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2920 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 02:01:55 »
"Now I need to go smell all of my keyboards, dammit. "

Geekhack 2016

« Last Edit: Sat, 13 August 2016, 04:10:37 by klennkellon »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2921 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 08:03:16 »
"Now I need to go smell all of my keyboards, dammit. "

Geekhack 2016

You didn't before?

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2922 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 12:55:05 »
Just got my omnikey in the mail, the board is dirty but the switches feel nice and clean. I was wondering, do any of you have the alternate ctrl and caps lock keycaps? I would love to get them.

Offline alh84001

« Reply #2923 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 13:23:22 »
I received mine yesterday. Omnikey 101. I tried to do full disassembly today and got stuck on the last bolts. Out of all the bolts that hold the PCB and plate together all but one were clean and were easy to unscrew. The last one was soldered (I guess) and I went gung-ho with the soldering iron expecting to quickly desolder the tin and get to the bolt. Alas, it was not meant to be. Here's the result

More

Any ideas how to proceed from here? It's not as flat as it looks in the pic. It's not enough that switch pins are bent, but they also went and did this with the screws, just so that they could mess with people some 20 years later :). I tried cutting the solder too, but only managed to cut some traces. Luckily, the pins that are connected through them still have continuity.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2924 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 13:32:39 »
Just got my omnikey in the mail, the board is dirty but the switches feel nice and clean. I was wondering, do any of you have the alternate ctrl and caps lock keycaps? I would love to get them.
I only have the one where the ctrl sits on the caps lock space and vice versa. I never use that layout though.

Offline alh84001

« Reply #2925 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 13:33:53 »
I think that is the one he wants :) I would be interested as well.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2926 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 14:03:07 »
I only have the one where the ctrl sits on the caps lock space and vice versa. I never use that layout though.
ooh those are the caps I want! I can send you the normal caps lock key and the normal ctrl and you can send me your caps. how does that sound?

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #2927 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 14:08:37 »
@alh84001: Do you need to separate the plate from the PCB? I've heard that this is to be avoided if at all possible on the Northgate Omnikey 101 keyboards. However, if you are going ahead anyway, did you use some form of a "solder sucker" when desoldering?

@mike52787: You can purchase the extra Ctrl and CapsLock keys from "Northgate Bob":

http://www.northgate-keyboard-repair.com/

They are somewhat expensive ($10 plus shipping for the set of two plus a wire key puller), but they are the genuine article and I believe they are unused.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2928 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 14:12:14 »
@alh84001: Do you need to separate the plate from the PCB? I've heard that this is to be avoided if at all possible on the Northgate Omnikey 101 keyboards. However, if you are going ahead anyway, did you use some form of a "solder sucker" when desoldering?

@mike52787: You can purchase the extra Ctrl and CapsLock keys from "Northgate Bob":

http://www.northgate-keyboard-repair.com/

They are somewhat expensive ($10 plus shipping for the set of two plus a wire key puller), but they are the genuine article and I believe they are unused.
Thanks! I will look into that and give him a call. Do you know what he sells ultras for? I may sell this 101 and buy an ultra from him. Were ultras ever made with gold labels/blue alps?

Offline alh84001

« Reply #2929 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 14:25:42 »

Yes. At first I used a solder sucker, and then I tried with wick. However, it seems that the issue is that there is so much soldering tin, that it can't get liquified. At least that's what I think it is.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #2930 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 14:29:43 »
@mike52787: You can call or email Bob for availability and prices. I think that the Omni 101 is $150 plus shipping, but I don't know the prices for his various others, except a gold label Ultra 102 with blue Alps that I bought for $225 plus shipping. Some time ago, I also bought a NIB Wang 725-3770 from him for $125 plus shipping, but prices may have gone up since then. If you buy a Northgate from him, I think he might throw in the Caps/Ctrl keys for free. He also does repair, cleaning, and refurbishing of Nothgate and some other keyboards.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2931 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 14:38:30 »
@mike52787: You can call or email Bob for availability and prices. I think that the Omni 101 is $150 plus shipping, but I don't know the prices for his various others, except a gold label Ultra 102 with blue Alps that I bought for $225 plus shipping. Some time ago, I also bought a NIB Wang 725-3770 from him for $125 plus shipping, but prices may have gone up since then. If you buy a Northgate from him, I think he might throw in the Caps/Ctrl keys for free. He also does repair, cleaning, and refurbishing of Nothgate and some other keyboards.
Sounds a bit expensive, but from what ive gathered they are professionally refurbished and cleaned.My 101 needs a good cleaning, but I believe my endgame board would be an omnikey ultra with new old stock blue alps.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2932 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 15:41:05 »
ooh those are the caps I want! I can send you the normal caps lock key and the normal ctrl and you can send me your caps. how does that sound?
I doubt they'd have the same texture and level of yellowing tbh xD .

Offline E3E

« Reply #2933 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 16:57:37 »
I received mine yesterday. Omnikey 101. I tried to do full disassembly today and got stuck on the last bolts. Out of all the bolts that hold the PCB and plate together all but one were clean and were easy to unscrew. The last one was soldered (I guess) and I went gung-ho with the soldering iron expecting to quickly desolder the tin and get to the bolt. Alas, it was not meant to be. Here's the result

More
Show Image

Any ideas how to proceed from here? It's not as flat as it looks in the pic. It's not enough that switch pins are bent, but they also went and did this with the screws, just so that they could mess with people some 20 years later :). I tried cutting the solder too, but only managed to cut some traces. Luckily, the pins that are connected through them still have continuity.

Make sure to use flux on this giant joint and use a tip that has more surface area. A desoldering gun would likely work well, at least with a larger nozzle to cover that bit. Try adding new solder to the joint too.

Old joints are usually really stubborn because of the oxidation, so using flux or adding in fresh solder should help. Going at it cold is an uphill battle, really.

Sounds a bit expensive, but from what ive gathered they are professionally refurbished and cleaned.My 101 needs a good cleaning, but I believe my endgame board would be an omnikey ultra with new old stock blue alps.

If it doesn't need a complete plate refurbishing (ie, rusted out plate), then it shouldn't be that expensive at all (as in, that guy is heavily overpriced). You should be able to clean it yourself though. What's the extent of the cleaning  and restoration you need done? Any retrobright work?

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2934 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 17:58:28 »
I wasnt talking about sending mine in for refurbishment, I was thinking about buying an omnikey ultra from him. He charges 200$ for an omnikey ultra, completely refurbished.

Offline E3E

« Reply #2935 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 18:03:35 »
I wasnt talking about sending mine in for refurbishment, I was thinking about buying an omnikey ultra from him. He charges 200$ for an omnikey ultra, completely refurbished.

If that's blue Alps, that's fine. If that's white, then that's terrible.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2936 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 18:05:46 »
I know its high. I probably wont do it. Omnikey ultras never came with blues afaik

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2937 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 18:10:48 »
I know its high. I probably wont do it. Omnikey ultras never came with blues afaik
No, they seem to have phased out by the time they came up with the Ultra. Which is why I'm looking for a blue Alps 102 rather than an Ultra :D .

Offline E3E

« Reply #2938 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 18:22:14 »
Yep, only those gold label 102s, though they can also have white Alps in rare circumstances, kind of like that DC-3014 that just sold on eBay recently. That's the only one I've ever heard of with white Alps. 

The Omnikey 102 has a strange layout though. Fohat's Omnikey 101s with blue Alps swapped in sound great, though I know Chyros isn't an ANSI fan. 

What do you guys think of that strange Mac-oriented Omnikey that came around on eBay a while back?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Northgate-OmniKey-Omnimac-Ultra-Keyboard-/252404831624?hash=item3ac4801588%3Ag%3A~~EAAOSwintXSKJl&nma=true&si=9Ba%252FCfHEbEBqYK8fClKFuHZquqs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 August 2016, 18:25:22 by E3E »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #2939 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 18:46:24 »
Forgot to post this pic I took when I was restoring the Packard Bell. No rust :)

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #2940 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 19:27:20 »
Wow! The plate on that Packard Bell looks pristine! Excellent find.

Offline E3E

« Reply #2941 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 19:48:59 »
Forgot to post this pic I took when I was restoring the Packard Bell. No rust :)
Show Image

Shiny~ I'm still jealous. :P

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2942 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 21:12:18 »
Show Image

Aw man, doesn't that look smexy? :D

Yep, only those gold label 102s, though they can also have white Alps in rare circumstances, kind of like that DC-3014 that just sold on eBay recently. That's the only one I've ever heard of with white Alps. 

The Omnikey 102 has a strange layout though. Fohat's Omnikey 101s with blue Alps swapped in sound great, though I know Chyros isn't an ANSI fan. 

What do you guys think of that strange Mac-oriented Omnikey that came around on eBay a while back?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Northgate-OmniKey-Omnimac-Ultra-Keyboard-/252404831624?hash=item3ac4801588%3Ag%3A~~EAAOSwintXSKJl&nma=true&si=9Ba%252FCfHEbEBqYK8fClKFuHZquqs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
I can't see the picture anymore, but I remember the board vaguely. I'm not too surprised actually, Northgate appeared to be obsessed with making the keyboard compatible with everyone and their dog xd . Probably why their keyboards outlived them as a company :p .

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #2943 on: Sat, 13 August 2016, 22:20:51 »
Show Image

Aw man, doesn't that look smexy? :D

I can't see the picture anymore, but I remember the board vaguely. I'm not too surprised actually, Northgate appeared to be obsessed with making the keyboard compatible with everyone and their dog xd . Probably why their keyboards outlived them as a company :p .
I can see the pics

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2944 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 03:56:13 »
I have a question, what are Alps Kingsavers? Is it just a name for any customized TKL alps board?

Offline E3E

« Reply #2945 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 04:53:05 »
I have a question, what are Alps Kingsavers? Is it just a name for any customized TKL alps board?

They are a specific custom aluminum-cased TKL made by Duck years back. It has a very specific layout and can only use key caps from a Wang 725.

It's a flat cased design with aluminum cone feet. Can't dig up pics atm.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2946 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 05:58:34 »

They are a specific custom aluminum-cased TKL made by Duck years back. It has a very specific layout and can only use key caps from a Wang 725.

It's a flat cased design with aluminum cone feet. Can't dig up pics atm.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2947 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 06:10:58 »
Wow, gorgeous keyboard.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #2948 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 08:49:18 »
most of us would kill to have one, they rarely come up for sale and when they do, theyre not cheap.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2949 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 08:51:17 »
most of us would kill to have one, they rarely come up for sale and when they do, theyre not cheap.

I kick myself for not buying one that Akimbo offered to sell me in the mid-$200s a few years ago, but I was broke.