Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2458504 times)

Offline Hypersphere

Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #3800 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 17:48:29 »
Yes, nice keycaps for Alps-mount switches are not plentiful.

I am definitely not a fan of DSA profile. Functionally, I find it difficult to type on a flat profile like DSA. And aesthetically, I do not like the looks of a flat profile. I like the appearance of a sculpted profile. OEM or DCS would be okay, but SA looks majestic to me.

Today I received two keyboards. One is a Leading Edge DC-3014 with blue Alps. The board is in excellent condition and all the keys work. The other is a Focus 2001 with white Alps -- it appears to be in pristine condition, but it was functionally DOA. I will probably scrap the Focus and salvage the caps and switches.

Offline zslane

« Reply #3801 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 17:55:28 »

I am definitely not a fan of DSA profile. Functionally, I find it difficult to type on a flat profile like DSA. And aesthetically, I do not like the looks of a flat profile. I like the appearance of a sculpted profile. OEM or DCS would be okay, but SA looks majestic to me.

I hear you.

I like DSA on 60% boards (I prefer SA on anything larger). Any DSA set with Alps mounts that might come along would go on a KBP Mini 60, so the flat profile would be just fine with me.

I agree whole-heartedly that SA looks majestic. Unfortunately, SP does not make SA keycaps with the Alps mount.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #3802 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 21:42:09 »
I agree whole-heartedly that SA looks majestic. Unfortunately, SP does not make SA keycaps with the Alps mount.
This is a major source of disappointment for me, I like SA but I don't like MX-mount switches enough to want to build a larger board with them. Hoping that Zealiostotles and/or MX Dark Blues live up to the hype so I'll want to build an RS96/ZZ96/Lightsaver with them... but even then I'd probably just stick DCS keycaps on said board. So, I'll guess just stick to wishing for Alps-mount SA keycaps...

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3803 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 21:43:50 »
This is a major source of disappointment for me, I like SA but I don't like MX-mount switches enough to want to build a larger board with them. Hoping that Zealiostotles and/or MX Dark Blues live up to the hype so I'll want to build an RS96/ZZ96/Lightsaver with them... but even then I'd probably just stick DCS keycaps on said board. So, I'll guess just stick to wishing for Alps-mount SA keycaps...
damnit are we going to compete for a 96 too? I was gonna put my zealiostotles in a lightsaver :)) Great minds think alike I guess.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #3804 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 21:47:49 »
damnit are we going to compete for a 96 too? I was gonna put my zealiostotles in a lightsaver :)) Great minds think alike I guess.
Remind me... what else have we competed on? But, yes, great minds think alike!

Anyway, this is old news:
Ill be buying some zealios soon, and once I have the money saved, Ill buy a lightsaver or lightsaver v2 to put them in if I like em enough.
Ah, very cool! I'm thinking about putting them in a ZZ96/RS96 if I like them enough - aka basically the same thing!

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3805 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 21:49:30 »
Remind me... what else have we competed on? But, yes, great minds think alike!

I remember bidding against someone on here on a zenith 163 with SKCL yellows, was that you?

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #3806 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 21:50:42 »
I remember bidding against someone on here on a zenith 163 with SKCL yellows, was that you?
No, I bought mine in person from someone nearby me. If I remember correctly you were bidding against emdude or blaise170.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3807 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 21:53:03 »
No, I bought mine in person from someone nearby me. If I remember correctly you were bidding against emdude or blaise170.
Aha! you have a much better memory than me. Well anyway, you can have first dibs on any lightsaver that comes up here, I have enough boards for a lifetime!

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3808 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 22:00:56 »
Sgi caps are so nice :D

damn shame matias abs doesnt even close to matching the white. I think this is the closest I will ever get to a proper spacebar for this infinity board. I used a 6.25u and 1.25 mods instead of 1.5s.

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #3809 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 22:13:00 »
I placed the first bid on that Zenith for $20, but decided to not bid against anyone here who wanted it more.

Zealiostotles are silly expensive, maybe find an 1800 with vintage cherry to put the artistole stems in? Just don't be like me and spend more money on silly GMK mods than the actual board...

Also, those DSA Lightcycle caps go up for pre-order this weekend if anyone is interested.

Lastly, @Mike I am not sure if it helps, but SP has a gray 6u spacebar in their webshop, I think it is the same color as Alpine Winter.
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3810 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 22:15:10 »
Lastly, @Mike I am not sure if it helps, but SP has a gray 6u spacebar in their webshop, I think it is the same color as Alpine Winter.
eh, Its fine how it is for now. I may just order another set of matias blanks and use those

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #3811 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 22:23:58 »

Today I received two keyboards. One is a Leading Edge DC-3014 with blue Alps. The board is in excellent condition and all the keys work. The other is a Focus 2001 with white Alps -- it appears to be in pristine condition, but it was functionally DOA. I will probably scrap the Focus and salvage the caps and switches.
You've got a pristine 2001 and you're scrapping it? What did that poor old board ever do wrong? D:
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #3812 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 22:32:20 »
Aha! you have a much better memory than me. Well anyway, you can have first dibs on any lightsaver that comes up here, I have enough boards for a lifetime!
Well first I have to make up my mind whether or not I like them... but thanks!

Zealiostotles are silly expensive, maybe find an 1800 with vintage cherry to put the artistole stems in? Just don't be like me and spend more money on silly GMK mods than the actual board...

Also, those DSA Lightcycle caps go up for pre-order this weekend if anyone is interested.
It depends on how you buy them, I spent less than $40 for 120 Zealiostotles :p

I'm building a whole board to accommodate them, so I'm definitely interested, haha. Where are they going up again, Massdrop right?

Offline MandrewDavis

« Reply #3813 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 22:45:40 »

It depends on how you buy them, I spent less than $40 for 120 Zealiostotles :p

I'm building a whole board to accommodate them, so I'm definitely interested, haha. Where are they going up again, Massdrop right?

How did you get them that cheap? Even if you source the aristotles from TaoBao, Zealios are still $.75 each.

As far as the LightCycle caps, the set that only fit The Van keyboard ran on Massdrop, but the full set should be on evang's webstore.
He also said that inserts for jailhouse blues will be manufactured by the end of the year, I may check those out.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #3814 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 23:26:16 »
How did you get them that cheap? Even if you source the aristotles from TaoBao, Zealios are still $.75 each.

As far as the LightCycle caps, the set that only fit The Van keyboard ran on Massdrop, but the full set should be on evang's webstore.
He also said that inserts for jailhouse blues will be manufactured by the end of the year, I may check those out.
It's just the Gateron RGB tops that make Zealiostotles Zealiostotles and I already have gold springs... so I just bought Gateron Blues. They should be the same as Zealios switch tops. See this link.
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 September 2016, 23:28:17 by Wingpad »

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3815 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 23:27:49 »

It's just the Gateron RGB tops that make Zealiostotles Zealiostotles and I already have gold springs... so I just bought Gateron Blues. They should be the same as Zealios switch tops.
Ive heard that theyre different and someone experienced binding with gateron tops. Not sure though. I got 55g gold springs for free from badwrench :D

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #3816 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 23:29:43 »
Ive heard that theyre different and someone experienced binding with gateron tops. Not sure though. I got 55g gold springs for free from badwrench :D
I think that's only with the Milky tops, the RGB tops are the same ones that Zeal uses. Noice grab on the free springs, though.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3817 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 23:31:32 »
I think that's only with the Milky tops, the RGB tops are the same ones that Zeal uses. Noice grab on the free springs, though.
If you have an extra gateron rgb could you send me one? Romevi sent me a zealio to try, I want to compare them and make sure.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3818 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 23:32:11 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:07:15 by alienman82 »

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #3819 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 23:36:35 »
If you have an extra gateron rgb could you send me one? Romevi sent me a zealio to try, I want to compare them and make sure.
PM'd

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #3820 on: Sat, 01 October 2016, 07:28:48 »
@Chyros: Any tips on diagnosing and curing the disease that killed my Focus 2001?

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #3821 on: Sat, 01 October 2016, 13:20:39 »
Whaaaattttt another Packard Bell like mine in my local area!!! http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/sys/5800720396.html

The thing is if you look it has different caps, the legends are really coming off so they aren't double shot for sure, pad print probably. Also it has homing bars not nubs like mine. This could be a sign that it is a later variant w/ SKCM White possibly. The guy might not sell it separately anyway. Not sure what I should do. He lives really close to me.
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3822 on: Sat, 01 October 2016, 13:41:29 »
I have had a few Packard Bell keyboards and they were pure junk, although I think that a couple of them may have had thin crappy caps that were Alps or MX mount.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #3823 on: Sat, 01 October 2016, 13:54:50 »
I have had a few Packard Bell keyboards and they were pure junk, although I think that a couple of them may have had thin crappy caps that were Alps or MX mount.
Well the early ones are great like mine, with an SKCM Blue, ANSI layout and DS caps. The one looks just like mine but may be a later version with SKCM White possibly since the caps are different.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #3824 on: Sat, 01 October 2016, 13:56:42 »
Also I found a Canon AP 500 on clist for $20. Its 1.5hr away, should I go and get it?

Like this one: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45456.1255

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3825 on: Sat, 01 October 2016, 13:58:36 »
Also I found a Canon AP 500 on clist for $20. Its 1.5hr away, should I go and get it?

I would, if you get it  I would love to buy the caps from you.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3826 on: Sat, 01 October 2016, 14:38:37 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:07:09 by alienman82 »

Offline E3E

« Reply #3827 on: Sat, 01 October 2016, 15:30:05 »

Trying to make me jealous again? That's like the last thing I really need for my collection.  >:D  Just be sure it actually has Alps and not something else before you make that drive.
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 October 2016, 15:32:51 by E3E »

Offline ruiqimao

« Reply #3828 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 13:11:43 »
New to Alps, but I built my first Alps board! http://imgur.com/gallery/Q9TVj

It's got caps from an AEK and Orange Alps switches. I love it, and it's my daily driver for now.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #3829 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 14:40:35 »
@ruiqimao: Nice board! Where did you get the plate (or how did you make it)? Where did you get the red caps -- are they dyed caps from the AEK? What layout have you programmed? Is it HHKB using the lower right-hand Ctrl as Fn? A board like this is on my project list!

Offline Norman_the_Owl

« Reply #3830 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 15:40:49 »
Those are definitely dyed aek caps

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #3831 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 15:48:00 »
The dye job looks quite well done. iDye Poly?

Update on my Focus FK-2001 that I thought had died: I plugged it into an Orihalcon/Soarer PS/2 to USB converter and from there to the computer (via a powered USB hub), and the keyboard works fine: all keys including the Caps Lock, Num Lock, and Scroll Lock, as well as all the lock LEDs.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #3832 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 22:17:09 »
I found something quite cool on Taobao. A Dell AT101 with Double-shot Keycaps and Pine Alps SKCM Black Switches! Here's an album of the pictures from the listing, I have heard of these before but now I'm going to own one :p

So much for this:
I am already working on a third/fourth (depending on how you count) project with an AT101[W] board, I don't need another :p

Offline MandrewDavis

« Reply #3833 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 22:33:50 »
I found something quite cool on Taobao. A Dell AT101 with Double-shot Keycaps and Pine Alps SKCM Black Switches! Here's an album of the pictures from the listing, I have heard of these before but now I'm going to own one :p

So much for this:
I am already working on a third/fourth (depending on how you count) project with an AT101[W] board, I don't need another :p

It always seems the perfect amount of keyboards in N+1.

Never seen one of those variants.  The caps should be the same profile and thickness as found on NeXT keyboards and ZX-330 typewriters. Anybody have a name of the profile or manufacturer?

My Classifieds Thread

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #3834 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 22:42:09 »
It always seems the perfect amount of keyboards is N+1.

Never seen one of those variants.  The caps should be the same profile and thickness as found on NeXT keyboards and ZX-330 typewriters. Anybody have a name of the profile or manufacturer?
Oh yes, N+1, haha. Now I just have to sell 3-4 boards to make it N-2.

I haven't seen one until now but I had heard about them before. If I remember correctly, E3E mentioned them as one of the few he would want (or something like that). I would be interested to learn about the manufacturer of these caps as well.

EDIT: It was totally E3E over on DT:
Quote from: E3E
Dell AT101s made in Japan or the USA would definitely be boards I'm interested as I'm really looking for a MINT board as their key caps are really nice.

E3E also mentioned that they seem to have been made by Alps Electric themselves:
Quote from: E3E
Indeed, and they can be really fun and interesting to sort out! I didn't even see the distinction between Alps DS caps and Alps PBT caps until I stumbled upon that Japanese AT101 and then realized that there's a trend for those caps on every ANSI board I've seen with Alps Electric doubleshots.

Yeah, Alps Electric seems to have made the caps on the AT101 boards (SGI, Dell, HP, and a few more, I think), the Leading Edge boards, and a whole bunch more.

« Last Edit: Sun, 02 October 2016, 22:55:02 by Wingpad »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #3835 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 22:43:57 »
Did a ton of typing today on the NeXT. Great board. The NIB SKCM Creams and Alps DS caps are a lovely combo.

I would recommended anyone who has one of these to get a USB converter asap.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #3836 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 23:00:03 »
Did a ton of typing today on the NeXT. Great board. The NIB SKCM Creams and Alps DS caps are a lovely combo.

I have been putting off getting/making a USB converter... I am still unsure if I'll actually make use of the NeXT even if I get an adapter so I'm still trying to make up my mind.
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 October 2016, 23:03:13 by Wingpad »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #3837 on: Sun, 02 October 2016, 23:42:05 »

I have been putting off getting/making a USB converter... I am still unsure if I'll actually make use of the NeXT even if I get an adapter so I'm still trying to make up my mind.
It really is a great board. Small on your desk even though it still has a numpad. Plus it's nice to break up the beige ;) Have a file Hyperfuse made for me that is pretty much as close to ANSI as your going to get. Totally usable :)

Speaking of converters I do need to get/make a converter for my Pingmaster.

Offline ruiqimao

« Reply #3838 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 00:09:56 »
@ruiqimao: Nice board! Where did you get the plate (or how did you make it)? Where did you get the red caps -- are they dyed caps from the AEK? What layout have you programmed? Is it HHKB using the lower right-hand Ctrl as Fn? A board like this is on my project list!

Thanks!
I ordered the plate from Big Blue Saw. I got the dxf from Hasu's Alps64 repo.
The red caps are dyed. I'm not actually sure what dye was used, since I actually just pulled them off another AEK that already had dyed caps.
And the layout is exactly what you think it is :) Bottom right is fn, caps lock is control, and I have backslash and backspace flipped. And I tap control for escape.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #3839 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 08:26:23 »
Thanks for the details of your Alps64 build. You've programmed it just about exactly as I would have done, except I usually have Backquote/Tilde as Esc and Fn+Esc as Backquote/Tilde. Sometimes I add another Backquote/Tilde as Fn+Backslash.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3840 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 09:26:58 »
After using my alps64 infinity more and more, I have started to appreciate the hhkb layout more and more. It is so convenient.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #3841 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 13:52:32 »
Always good to find another convert to the HHKB way! Indeed, I find that I am addicted to the HHKB layout. Generally, I don't use keyboards with other layouts unless I can remap them to something closely resembling a HHKB layout.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3842 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 13:54:13 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:03:19 by alienman82 »

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3843 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 14:35:49 »
Ive been thinking about adding a skcl lock for the Fn key next to rshift, I cant get TMK's toggle functionality to work correctly. Other than that I really love this alps64. When I first built it I dindt want ot use it because the layout was so alien to me and I didnt have a proper spacebar. But now, I have no excuses :D

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3844 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 14:58:22 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:02:58 by alienman82 »

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado

Offline alh84001

« Reply #3846 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 15:14:55 »
Ive been thinking about adding a skcl lock for the Fn key next to rshift, I cant get TMK's toggle functionality to work correctly. Other than that I really love this alps64. When I first built it I dindt want ot use it because the layout was so alien to me and I didnt have a proper spacebar. But now, I have no excuses :D

You're talking about using TMK converter right? Is it possible to make a pcb spot that was previously without locking key accept the locking key, just by using tmk or soarer converter (as opposed to controller)?

And unrelated, but how does one detach plastic part of the alps skcm switchplate from the metallic back part? Those two small plastic rivets don't seem to budge.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3847 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 16:56:56 »

You're talking about using TMK converter right? Is it possible to make a pcb spot that was previously without locking key accept the locking key, just by using tmk or soarer converter (as opposed to controller)?

And unrelated, but how does one detach plastic part of the alps skcm switchplate from the metallic back part? Those two small plastic rivets don't seem to budge.
I was talking about my alps64, which is programmed with tmk. No modifications are needed to incorporate a SKCL Lock switch, It just latches down and repeats the key. I just wanted to use it to toggle fn layers. As for disassembling switchplates, if you get it apart, good luck putting it back together.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #3848 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 17:09:53 »
Just unpacked my pingmaster, What an experience. Mattr wasnt kidding, its so cool to unbox a NIB product from 25+ years ago.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3849 on: Mon, 03 October 2016, 17:16:19 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 14:02:33 by alienman82 »