Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2458542 times)

Offline Hypersphere

Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #4350 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 16:14:41 »
@Chyros: I have yet to try a NIB or NOS Alps board, but I've reconditioned some that give me an excellent typing experience compared to all the keyboards with which I am familiar (e.g. other boards with the following switch categories: other Alps, Matias, Cherry mx and clones, RAL, NMB Space Invaders, IBM Model M, IBM Model F, and Topre). Among these, it seems that Alps are quite sensitive to the ravages of time, and so I am very glad that in addition to Alps, I like other types of  vintage switches (especially IBM Model F) and some contemporary switches (especially Topre). Maybe someday I will get my hands on a NIB/NOS Alps board, at which time I can recalibrate!

Offline E3E

« Reply #4351 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 16:24:41 »
You know, out of all the blue Alps boards I have, only the FAME TH-5539 with blue Alps ever had binding or scratchy switches, and the switches in my Monterey K101 were some of the best and lightest-feeling blues I've ever tried despite the caps being a bit shined and the plate having its powder coat bubble from corrosion on the metal beneath it.

My Focus FK-555 is in pristine condition and feel amazing, this is true. I have a boxed NTC 6153EA that feels nice, but then so does my Acer KB101A that was used in an office for years that had a gunky plate, but clean switches. The DC-3014 does as well. 

So I'm not sure, I mean... I feel like keyboards can still be representative of the switches' proper feel even if they aren't untouched. I will admit though, that I've never seen a dusty keyboard that's felt great. The KB101A just had gunk on the plate from years of use without any cleaning, most likely. 

Even my 6085 which is NIB and entirely unused, while it has really nice switches, the browns I've used in my hot swap boards have felt just as smooth without any binding. So I'm not sure. Maybe I'm just not judging things with as much scrutiny, but I HAVE felt scratchy and bindy switches before with Alps, so I know how an unpleasant switch feels.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4352 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 18:16:21 »
@Chyros: I have yet to try a NIB or NOS Alps board, but I've reconditioned some that give me an excellent typing experience compared to all the keyboards with which I am familiar (e.g. other boards with the following switch categories: other Alps, Matias, Cherry mx and clones, RAL, NMB Space Invaders, IBM Model M, IBM Model F, and Topre). Among these, it seems that Alps are quite sensitive to the ravages of time, and so I am very glad that in addition to Alps, I like other types of  vintage switches (especially IBM Model F) and some contemporary switches (especially Topre). Maybe someday I will get my hands on a NIB/NOS Alps board, at which time I can recalibrate!
Yes, Alps' sensitivity is by far their biggest shortfall, unfortunately... You can usually get Alps switches in better condition with some cleaning and maintenance, but I've yet to get one back up to anything near NOS status. If I ever go to a meetup I'll bring some nice Alps boards along so people can try them out ^^ .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #4353 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 18:27:24 »
Even if you have not experienced a factory-fresh keyboard, given enough experience with keyboards, you can trust your judgment regarding the quality of a keyboard typing experience.

Moreover, a stock product from the factory is not necessarily the best it can be. Case in point is remanufactured car engines -- something with which I have direct experience while growing up. I know that it is possible to re-tool an engine to make it perform far better than it did fresh from the factory. The same general principle can apply to keyboards.

I'm typing this on a Northgate Omnikey 101 ANSI board that I refurbished by cleaning the top switch  housings, sliders, return springs, and click leaves in an ultrasonic cleaner, cleaning the bottom housings and switch plates in situ with contact cleaner, and carefully reassembling the switches along with lubricating the slider rails and click-leaf surface of the slider with Superlube 51010 oil. The result is one of the best keyboards I have ever used-- silky smooth with crisp tactile feedback and subtle clicks. Although I don't have an NIB version of this keyboard, I can still rate the quality of the typing experience, and it is superb.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #4354 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 18:37:26 »
My Packard Bell wasn't NIB or anything but with no corrosion on a still factory shiny plate and no yellowing it is still a joy to type on.

One thing though. A couple of the keys like forward slash, star and minus and insert especially seem to be better than the rest. They are much more bassy and deep. Although I don't believe this is caused by condition since other keys that are barely used like pause or F9 feel just like commonly used keys like A.

Alps wasn't perfect at producing the damn things either. Some switches might be better than others not by condition but by manufacturing.

Here's a video

I think Ultrasonic cleaning is the future as well.
Wang 725-3770 SKCM Brown, 1995
Zenith 163-73 - SKCM Blue, 1990
KBP V60 MTS - SKCM Amber w/ Canon HiPros
IBM P77, SKCC Green, 1984
IBM P70 - Alps Plate Spring, 1989
Compaq MX 11800, MX Black, 1997

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4355 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 18:57:32 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:46:18 by alienman82 »

Offline E3E

« Reply #4356 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 19:01:27 »
My Packard Bell wasn't NIB or anything but with no corrosion on a still factory shiny plate and no yellowing it is still a joy to type on.

One thing though. A couple of the keys like forward slash, star and minus and insert especially seem to be better than the rest. They are much more bassy and deep. Although I don't believe this is caused by condition since other keys that are barely used like pause or F9 feel just like commonly used keys like A.

Alps wasn't perfect at producing the damn things either. Some switches might be better than others not by condition but by manufacturing.

Here's a video

I think Ultrasonic cleaning is the future as well.

One of the two first tested keys has a click on the upstroke, as tactile and clicky Alps are prone to have. Mike even mentioned his NIB Wang 725 with SKCM Salmon having clicks on the upstrokes, so this is certainly something that can be like that from the factory itself. 

Also, Matt, I'm always down for cleaning your switches. Just let me know when you're ready. :)

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #4357 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 19:10:18 »
Oh yea, didn't notice that with that first switch. Technically a defect :p I'm 90% sure the differences in those Blues is due to manufacturing and not being 'NOS condition'

Cool. I'll PM you sometime soon. Curious to see the results, how far can a Alps switch go before it's too far gone?
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 November 2016, 19:11:55 by Mattr567 »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4358 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 20:09:17 »

the differences in those Blues is due to manufacturing

There were considerable differences all along the way, apparently.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #4359 on: Thu, 03 November 2016, 22:25:54 »
Got a steal on a Z150  with green alps and if I hadn't already tried some in pristine condition like the board Alienman sold me, there is no way I would hold them in the same regard. The broken Apple IIC looked awful, but the switches are in great shape. Also, maybe others can vouch for this, but as a result of the 5140 screen effectively shielding the keyboard from light and dust the browns seem to always be in very good condition.

Just saying, NOS blues are amazing :p ... if you can get the board to work :'(

man I had a zenith something or other that was so ****ty.  that one you got was great.  shame about the pcb :|

I actually don't think anything is wrong with the PCB, I think I just need to write the TMK firmware myself instead of using the GUI. I played around with it and got the ALT key working, but it wasn't what I assigned it to be. Similar issues to what is discussed in this thread on DT.

Also anyone have some white alps with pine tops, clean with little or no binding? I am looking to click mod the Zenith on Mike's suggestion.
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #4360 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 16:13:26 »
Recently, I bought a  Northgate Omnikey 101 ANSI white Alps keyboard from "Northgate Bob".  He selected the best one he had available. It is not NIB/NOS, but reasonably pristine. It was very clean and had only a few small spots of corrosion on the plate.

After removing the keycaps and case, I cleaned the plate and the outside of the switch tops using dry cotton swabs, taking care not to leave any cotton lint behind. After soaking the case in detergent overnight, rinsing with water, rinsing with 70% isopropyl alcohol, and drying overnight, I painted the top shell burgundy red with several light coats of Duplicolor vinyl & fabric coating. I put the painted case aside for 8 days before reassembling the keyboard. I did not paint the bottom metal pan, but I used mineral spirits followed by 70% isopropyl alcohol to remove the glue from the inside that held the ferrite core in place.

Next, I installed an internal Orihalcon/Soarer USB Converter and panel-mount micro-USB connector. I replaced the solid ferrite core with a hinged ferrite core that has a 5 mm opering. I placed a piece of 1/16" thick "art foam" cut to size between the PCB and bottom pan. I then installed new keycaps. For the top row, number row except Backquote and Backspace, Nav Island, and all but the number keys on the Numpad, I used WoB Tai-Hao ABS doubleshots. Alphas and NumPad numbers = dye-sub PBT from an SGI Granite. All others = blank black ABS from Matias. Per my standard procedure, I've programmed the board with a HHKB-like layout.

For the spacebar, I used a stabilizer, clips, and inserts from Matias. I removed the stock shock pads because they are in the wrong position for the Matias spacebar and they interfere with the Matias stabilzer wire. I put new shock pads on the plate where the stabilizer inserts hit the plate, using self-adhesive 0.15 mm polyurethane foam. To deaden the spacebar, I put small rectangles of 0.5 mm self-adhesive foam rubber inside the space bar. To quieten the spacebar switch, I installed a new slider from a Matias Quiet switch, but I kept the white Alps click leaf. All this results in a very quiet spacebar with no rattle.

152074-0

I kept everything else intact. This time, I did not open and clean the switches (except for doing a slider swap on the Spacebar switch).

The keyboard is smooth with crisp tactility and just the right amount of clickiness for me. The switches feel consistent across the board. I have not noticed suppressed clicks, return-stroke clicks, chattering, or binding. The board provides a splendid typing experience that compares favorably with my all-time favorite keyboards (these include my IBM XT, silenced and lubed RF87UB55, silenced and lubed HHKB Pro 2, Leading Edge DC-3014 blue Alps, and cleaned and lubed Northgate Omnikey 101 ANSI white Alps).

As with my previous Omni 101, I found that I could not use the dye-sub PBT caps from an IBM 5140 (brown Alps). These caps have worked well on several other Alps and Matias-switch keyboards, but they do not bottom-out consistently on the Omni 101 keyboards. This is why I ended up using caps from an SGI Granite, even though I am not fond of the Italic font. Does anyone have any idea why the IBM caps do not work well on the Omnikey 101 boards?

=====

@MandrewDavis: Let us know how you get on with click-modding your Zenith. I have a Z-150 with Green Alps and a 163-73 with Yellow Alps that I am considering click-modding. It's nice that the procedure is reversible. Does this mod require pine switch tops, or is that just your preference? That is, would it work with the bamboo version of white Alps tops?
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 November 2016, 17:03:44 by Hypersphere »

Offline E3E

« Reply #4361 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 17:10:58 »
Crosspost for fun!

My favorite new Alps board. :P

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4362 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 17:14:14 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:45:20 by alienman82 »

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #4363 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 17:26:44 »
Great-looking board, E3E!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4364 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 17:39:49 »
Crosspost for fun!

Show Image

My favorite new Alps board. :P

Holy monkey.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #4365 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 18:52:41 »
Why not hold out for a Wang or something else a bit more exotic? I feel like they deserve something a little different, but I'm not sure what to suggest.

So I got the perfect exotic you were looking for E3E. A Zenith 163-73 I bought from Wingpad!

It's the perfect candidate since it only comes with SKCL Yellow. Has that buzzer which would still make logical sense since I'm swapping using SKCL, plus in cap leds! I do hate how the led's are green not red but luckily I have 3 original led SKCL Green's from my old Z-150 so it's perfect for it. Zenith build quality as well. The main difference though between the ZKB-2 and this is that it has a plastic backplate and alps dyesubs. A fair trade off I suppose.

Plus it has the SKCL GRAY I need. It's a win-win-win!

Offline E3E

« Reply #4366 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 19:12:00 »
Why not hold out for a Wang or something else a bit more exotic? I feel like they deserve something a little different, but I'm not sure what to suggest.

So I got the perfect exotic you were looking for E3E. A Zenith 163-73 I bought from Wingpad!

It's the perfect candidate since it only comes with SKCL Yellow. Has that buzzer which would still make logical sense since I'm swapping using SKCL, plus in cap leds! I do hate how the led's are green not red but luckily I have 3 original led SKCL Green's from my old Z-150 so it's perfect for it. Zenith build quality as well. The main difference though between the ZKB-2 and this is that it has a plastic backplate and alps dyesubs. A fair trade off I suppose.

Plus it has the SKCL GRAY I need. It's a win-win-win!

Sweet man, do it! Slap in the Striped Ambers, use SKCL Grey as the space bar switch (or Amber, either way haha), and it'll be fantastic. It'd fit those switches well.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #4367 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 20:02:48 »
Sweet man, do it! Slap in the Striped Ambers, use SKCL Grey as the space bar switch (or Amber, either way haha), and it'll be fantastic. It'd fit those switches well.

Yea. I'm excited to have a board with a beeper and in cap lock lights again, makes it so interesting. Wasn't able to take advantage of those in my Z-150 since the board wouldn't work on Linux without a USB converter and that didn't allow the leds to work :( It needs good cleaning and a retrobright badly. Unfortunately I ran out and it's fall/winter right now so idk when I will have a chance to do it.

Was actually planning to just use a normal SKCL Striped Amber for the spacebar. The Grey is for the switch tester.

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #4368 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 20:10:11 »
Yea. I'm excited to have a board with a beeper and in cap lock lights again, makes it so interesting. Wasn't able to take advantage of those in my Z-150 since the board wouldn't work on Linux without a USB converter and that didn't allow the leds to work :( It needs good cleaning and a retrobright badly. Unfortunately I ran out and it's fall/winter right now so idk when I will have a chance to do it.

Was actually planning to just use a normal SKCL Striped Amber for the spacebar. The Grey is for the switch tester.
Yeah, I was thinking about buying a bunch of 40W Black Lights off of eBay from China and setting them up in my closet in an array to retr0brite this and the Wang I have but I figured it would just be easier to sell them. I've done a ton of cleaning work on this board already, believe it or not. There was just way more left than I wanted to do so it was time to sell it. I really think the beeper in this board is cute, though. It pleases me greatly. Also, I can't wait to see pictures of it with SKCL Ambers in it :)

I have too many boards right now anyway and I still need to find a candidate for all of the SKCM Brown switches I have sitting around. If I manage to kick a keyset GB off the ground I'll have a bit more flexibility but it's going to be tough either way.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 November 2016, 20:12:47 by Wingpad »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #4369 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 20:25:08 »

Yeah, I was thinking about buying a bunch of 40W Black Lights off of eBay from China and setting them up in my closet in an array to retr0brite this and the Wang I have but I figured it would just be easier to sell them. I've done a ton of cleaning work on this board already, believe it or not. There was just way more left than I wanted to do so it was time to sell it. I really think the beeper in this board is cute, though. It pleases me greatly. Also, I can't wait to see pictures of it with SKCL Ambers in it :)

I have too many boards right now anyway and I still need to find a candidate for all of the SKCM Brown switches I have sitting around. If I manage to kick a keyset GB off the ground I'll have a bit more flexibility but it's going to be tough either way.

What did it look like when you found it?

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #4370 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 20:29:52 »
What did it look like when you found it?
It was more internal than external. The plate was pretty dirty and some of the switches weren't in great shape. I opened up about 20 of the worst of them to clean them by hand but since you're replacing them that doesn't really matter to you that much :))

There was also some sort of icky grime on the case, not sure where this board was used but yeah... it was rather odd. I suspect it acquired it's patina while in storage after it's tenure. Whenever I see the board it makes me think of Samurai Champloo because that's what I was watching while I was cleaning it but I digress, it's better now :thumb:

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #4371 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 20:46:26 »
That makes sense.

Trust me, that board will look like the day it was made when i'm done with it. :) My only worry is that the logo won't retrobright. It seems to be different from normal LED label's that don't so theres hope.

Offline MandrewDavis

« Reply #4372 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 21:45:43 »
How nice are those Zenith dye-subs? I kinda like the novelty of the smallass enter.

P.S.   Wingpad, I am all in on that keyset of yours :D

@Mattr If those SKCL yellows ever need a home in a nice new keyboard, feel free to PM me!

My Classifieds Thread

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #4373 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 22:24:36 »
How nice are those Zenith dye-subs? I kinda like the novelty of the smallass enter.

@Mattr If those SKCL yellows ever need a home in a nice new keyboard, feel free to PM me!

They're Alps dyesubs just like the 5140 or SGI/Early Dell AT101's. Yea I don't mind the layout of the Zenith at all.

Looks like i'll be PMing you once I desolder the board ;)

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4374 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 22:30:02 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:45:07 by alienman82 »

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #4375 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 22:31:05 »
you are very happy then :)  always happy to see that
I think we're both very happy :)) This is going to pay for the powder-coating job for my F107.

Offline MandrewDavis

« Reply #4376 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 22:33:37 »
I think we're both very happy :)) This is going to pay for the powder-coating job for my F107.

Looks like everybody is going to be happy! Are you going to paint it the original color or something different?

My Classifieds Thread

Offline Wingpad

• The Kumquat Kid
« Reply #4377 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 22:39:05 »
Looks like everybody is going to be happy! Are you going to paint it the original color or something different?
You're helping too, haha. I went with a shade of gray close to Industrial Gray. It's done but there have been some issues with billing and getting it shipped but it should be here soon. Anyway, I think I might get kicked for mentioning buckling springs here. Quick! I need to hide my Model M and grab my Omnikey! Blue Alps FTW, tooooootally.

Stuffs his Model M in a nearby box

EDIT: Also, more relevantly, I might have found my favorite switch Alps "Ghetto Blue" Switch. SKCM Browns with a SKCM Blue Click Plate are delightfully tactile, airy and light. I quite like them and would consider building a board with them if it didn't mean killing two varieties of rarish Alps switches. Here's crappy video, it doesn't really do them justice.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 November 2016, 22:50:47 by Wingpad »

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #4378 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 23:28:02 »

They're Alps dyesubs just like the 5140 or SGI/Early Dell AT101's. Yea I don't mind the layout of the Zenith at all.

Looks like i'll be PMing you once I desolder the board ;)

Yea, the PBT caps are great. Have experience from my SKCM Orange SGI. I do prefer ABS on clicky switches since they feel a bit more lively with them. PBT otherwise. The Multistation caps are the exception of course :p

Actually have been using the Multistation plate as a base for cleaning loose switches since it gives a solid platform for them to sit while I align all the parts to go back together. It is always preferred to clean them while their still soldered in though since the switchplate doesn't move. But trying to put Alps back together without anything is a nightmare.

Offline E3E

« Reply #4379 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 00:15:29 »
I prefer PBT on everything, including clicky switches, but ABS is fine. The Multistation caps are wonderful. Although there is the Alps dyesub C.Itoh LK201 clone keyboard caps that are well, all that and a bag of PBT.

Ever since getting my Orion and using the AT101 caps on it and then the Chinese uniform PBT key caps, I feel like ABS/PBT for clickies doesn't really matter much. These feel quite lively, haha. Now, for tactiles, PBT all the way. Linears can go either way.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #4380 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 00:27:45 »
Yea tactile needs PBT for sure. Linear can go either way but I would prefer PBT if I had a choice.

Maybe it's just that thicker caps dampen the click more in general (like NeXT or SGI) rather than the material. Don't want too thin though. Example the stock Packard caps feel better than the thinner Focus Tai Hao doubleshots.

Offline Mattr567

« Reply #4381 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 02:13:34 »
Horray for documentation! Did a thing: https://deskthority.net/wiki/Alps_SKCL_Striped_Amber

Also updated a bunch various other parts here and there.
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 November 2016, 02:44:33 by Mattr567 »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4382 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 05:16:03 »
Clicky -> thin doubleshot ABS
Tactile -> thick dyesub PBT
Linear -> thick dyesub PBT or thick doubleshot ABS (pref. Spherical)

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4383 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 12:38:11 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:44:57 by alienman82 »

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #4384 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 14:39:53 »
Interested in trying out SKCM cream, cream/white damped. Anyone has a spare switch that I can buy? Thanks!
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4385 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 14:41:52 »
Show Image

Thank you for letting me try this mike52787!

Did mike not want to use the original layout for the bottom row?

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #4386 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 14:44:02 »
Show Image

what do you mean by that?

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4387 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 14:47:40 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:44:53 by alienman82 »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #4388 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 14:53:19 »
Show Image

pretty sure he means the AEK bottom row.  I asked Mike and he just took an alps KBP and swapped the PCB and switches, but not the plate.

Oh, I see. I've been contemplating which bottom row to use in my first Alps board; have decided on something similar to that.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #4389 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 14:54:10 »
Show Image

pretty sure he means the AEK bottom row.  I asked Mike and he just took an alps KBP and swapped the PCB and switches, but not the plate.

Oh, I see. I've been contemplating which bottom row to use in my first Alps board; have decided on something similar to that.
My bottom row is as follows: alt,win,fn,space,ctrl,win,alt,fn

Offline Delirious

« Reply #4390 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 15:32:49 »
Show Image

My bottom row is as follows: alt,win,fn,space,ctrl,win,alt,fn

wtf that is mind blowing.

On the second note, has anyone ever dissected the cream switches from both AEKII and NEXT to compare the discrepancies between them? I finally got a decent camera after breaking my old one. If no-one has tried to do so I might give it a chance.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4391 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 15:33:50 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:44:51 by alienman82 »

Offline Delirious

« Reply #4392 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 15:39:56 »
I was thinking more about the discrepancies between the switch plates and the sliders. I wonder if taking off the rubber dampeners, would dampened cream be as good as cream.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #4393 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 15:43:21 »
I was thinking more about the discrepancies between the switch plates and the sliders. I wonder if taking off the rubber dampeners, would dampened cream be as good as cream.
Nope, wouldnt be anything close to the same. The tactile leaves, switch plates and springs are all different. Dampened cream's tactility is much more "bumpy" compared to SKCM cream's crisp tactility. Damoened cream has short white switchplates, and SKCM cream has tall grey switchplates. The slider material is also different, as skcm cream falls into the early timeline that has dry lubricant on the sliders. Dampened cream sladers are made of a slipperier plastic.

Offline ED2914

« Reply #4394 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 07:06:11 »
I have bought a Packard Bell T8023 at Taobao recently. This is a lovely keyboard and I cleaned it today, but wait...

I know the difference between blue and white alps are quite small sometimes, such as blue alps with ALPS logo top-housing or white switchplate instead of grey switchplate,
but these are not white switchplate only, these are white switchplate with white alps leaves!

A Japanese found it also.

Offline E3E

« Reply #4395 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 07:21:07 »
I have bought a Packard Bell T8023 at Taobao recently. This is a lovely keyboard and I cleaned it today, but wait...

Show Image

I know the difference between blue and white alps are quite small sometimes, such as blue alps with ALPS logo top-housing or white switchplate instead of grey switchplate,
but these are not white switchplate only, these are white switchplate with white alps leaves!

Wow, short switch plates too? It seems like blue Alps and white Alps had a very small period of crossover where the earliest white Alps was very close to blue Alps and the latest blues, as shown in your example, are similar to whites. Very peculiar.

You grabbed that one up quick. I noticed that one on TaoBao.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4396 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 07:26:39 »

Show Image

Wow, short switch plates too? It seems like blue Alps and white Alps had a very small period of crossover where the earliest white Alps was very close to blue Alps and the latest blues, as shown in your example, are similar to whites. Very peculiar.

Hah, that's funny, I recorded a very relevant video to this phenomenon very recently xD .

I'm not sure those are short switchplates though. They look long to me.

Offline mike52787

• Alps Aficionado
« Reply #4397 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 07:28:53 »

Show Image

Hah, that's funny, I recorded a very relevant video to this phenomenon very recently xD .

I'm not sure those are short switchplates though. They look long to me.
I think that theyre short switchplates, Ive had white switchplate blue alps and the color of the plastic on the switchplate is different than the normal short switchplate plastic. Those dont really look like tall white switchplates.

Offline E3E

« Reply #4398 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 07:32:31 »
They're definitely short switch plates as you can see them raised up over the bottom housing's "floor" there's no way that'd happen with a long switch plate unless the switch was desoldered and the plates got pulled up during switch top removal. The long switch plates are flush with the bottom.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #4399 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 07:43:09 »
It is really difficult for me to understand the point of trying out keyboards and switches for those who can't touch type, like the one in the video above.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 November 2016, 07:44:53 by menuhin »
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]