Author Topic: Easy service stabilizers?  (Read 1614 times)

Offline typo

Easy service stabilizers?
« on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 13:32:12 »
I am sure this has been asked 100 times. I apologize if so. This is a completely custom keyboard. AFAIK it has a stainless steel plate. It is MX style. Soldered. My grandpa probably had many hard hours on it but he was very clean. So, all of the stabilizers are pretty stiff and clunky. I figure they just need lube? Can I lube them by just removing their key caps or must I open the case? If I have to open the case it is a job for a friend. Thank you

Offline typo

Re: Easy service stabilizers?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 15:05:53 »
Never mind. Yes, it can be done. At least to the extent that I require.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 22:03:02 »
Have fun
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 23:18:03 »
If they are Costar stabs, yes, just pull the cap and you can then remove the stab entirely.
If they are Cherry style plate mount you need to pull the switch they are mounted to.
If they are Cherry style PCB stabs you need to pull many switches, possibly all of them in order to properly lube them.

I really hope you didn't just drizzle some oil down into the stab.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline typo

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 20 October 2020, 08:08:51 »
https://switchandclick.com/2020/06/24/how-to-lube-stabilizers-without-desoldering-in-5-easy-steps/

Did this. Worked like a charm. I was not looking for any benefit. I had stiff stabs. He used the heck out of this board and they were already lubed.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 20 October 2020, 08:19:06 »
I have been using Cherry style stabs until now, that I made a custom-board with Costar stabs. I regret all my years stuck with Cherry's. The Costars are just as no stabilizer is there, as any stab should be, in the first place.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 20 October 2020, 20:39:17 »
Did this. Worked like a charm. I was not looking for any benefit. I had stiff stabs. He used the heck out of this board and they were already lubed.
That's nearly the equivalent of spray lubing.

While not as bad as just randomly spraying lube any dust or dirt around the top of the stabs was now pushed down in. You may have removed 90% of the friction but you're now wet sanding the rest.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline typo

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 20 October 2020, 22:07:14 »
I was not aware they could be spray lubed? I figured that would cause a mess. It would have been even easier. I understand this was not ideal. I did not do it for improved feel. i did it simple to un-stick them. I do not posses the abilities my grandfather did when he was younger. There is no way I could take apart a key board. I do not know of anyone that could do it for me. This worked in a pinch. How long it lasts, time will tell.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 00:08:58 »
Do NOT spray lube.
It's a quick solution that creates long term problems.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 07:22:00 »
The stab's metal wire and the plastic supports different hardnesses make an autolubricating assembly. Adding lub is not needed.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 23:16:26 »
The stab's metal wire and the plastic supports different hardnesses make an autolubricating assembly. Adding lub is not needed.

Self lubricating plastics are great, but they're never as good as actual lube and more importantly (for me at least) they do nothing to stop rattle where the metal goes into the plastic. Grease doesn't just lubricate it fills gaps and it does so without binding, something you simply can't do with self lubricating plastics.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline typo

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 23:43:55 »
My issue was not about "feel". I am not a guru like you folks or my grandpa. To me it is just another thing. The issue here was the stabs were sticking in the down position. I did that lube trick and all is good. Works for me. Even if I had to do it again. There is no way I can take apart the keyboard. This is not a big deal because it was not about "feel". For that I am sure it needs to be done correctly.

Edit: not just in regard to keyboards. Leslie, I am not dumb enough to spray anything on "intact" electronics. Some people spray "tuner cleaner" ETC. That type of thing is looking for huge problems. If you cannot properly service an item yourself, bring it somewhere where they can. Otherwise I will bet you that you will be buying a new one. Or doing without it.  As you stated Leslie, there is nowhere for it to drain.This can close circuits ETC. What I did is not highly effective but served it's purpose in my case. At least I did not get grease where it does not belong. I may not have gotten much, but it did suffice to unstick them.

You guy's can continue to discuss this if you wish but I am not going to watch this thread for a while. Thank you to those that helped.
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 October 2020, 03:16:02 by typo »