Author Topic: SMK-88 - black cherries  (Read 2494 times)

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
SMK-88 - black cherries
« on: Sat, 16 August 2008, 11:48:54 »
Just got my SMK-88 with black cherries back.  Man...I This thing sucks.  If you've ever heard Steve Martin's bit on "Googlephonics", I think I may be headed in that direction.  

I may have to spring for something with brown cherries like the modular Apple keyboard due out from DSI.  I like this layout, I used to not mind these blacks so much and now that I've spent several months typing on other boards (even the MLs are better, IMHO) like the MLs, and a variety of Alps switches...there is almost no feel in this board.  It is almost as bad as the apple keyboard I've sworn off of.

Yuck.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
SMK-88 - black cherries
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 16 August 2008, 12:21:32 »
I think everyone needs to try them to truly realize how god-aweful they are. And just think - they are the most popular switch in current production on Earth right now. Whodathunk Cherry would be working so hard to make rubber domes feel better than mechanicals.

Offline Bluemercury

SMK-88 - black cherries
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 16 August 2008, 13:01:46 »
Yeah i also have one with blacky cherry switches, and i dont like it too, but its still better than anything rubber dome.......and my brother likes it. Still i might pull and buy brown cherry keyboard from cherry itself....
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
Model M5-1(considering selling this one)
Cherry G80-3000LCMPO with black switches
Cherry G80-5000HAMPO (Brown switches)
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
SMK-88 - black cherries
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 16 August 2008, 13:32:17 »
I strongly disagree. My HHKB Lite with rubber domes (which I keep at work) feels way better than the SMK88 I gave my wife. So do a  bunch of other rubber dome keyboards I've tried. The Cherry blacks are high quality trash. There's really nothing to it but that.

Offline djones

SMK-88 - black cherries
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 20 August 2008, 01:48:55 »
Yet they are very popular in Japan for some reason.  Can't understand why...

BUT my filco brown cherry tenkeyless I got there uses a black cherry for the space bar (and only the space bar) and it is pretty nice

Offline lowpoly

SMK-88 - black cherries
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 20 August 2008, 03:27:44 »
My only complaint about black MXs is that the spring is too strong.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
SMK-88 - black cherries
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 20 August 2008, 06:18:19 »
Quote from: sofa king;7624
My only complaint about black MXs is that the spring is too strong.

Agreed.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline graywolf

• http://www.graywolfphoto.com/
SMK-88 - black cherries
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 20 August 2008, 08:43:10 »
Quote from: xsphat;7400
I think everyone needs to try them to truly realize how god-aweful they are. And just think - they are the most popular switch in current production on Earth right now. Whodathunk Cherry would be working so hard to make rubber domes feel better than mechanicals.

Most people like what they are use to, and most people are used to really crappy keyboards. Go on some other forums and read people saying they would kill you if you were using a Model M in the next cubical. They can not stand them because they are "loud and notchy feeling". Not so strangely, companies like to sell to the unwashed masses, there are so many of them.

Offline itlnstln

SMK-88 - black cherries
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 20 August 2008, 08:48:00 »
Quote from: graywolf;7627
Most people like what they are use to, and most people are used to really crappy keyboards. Go on some other forums and read people saying they would kill you if you were using a Model M in the next cubical. They can not stand them because they are "loud and notchy feeling". Not so strangely, companies like to sell to the unwashed masses, there are so many of them.

I am suprised I am not hanging from the gallows.  I work in an open-air environment, and I used to use my Model M.  I recently switched to the Evolution (Alps), and it is quite a bit louder.  Oh well...