Author Topic: Cheap Cherry Blue boards  (Read 3177 times)

Offline zwmalone

Cheap Cherry Blue boards
« on: Thu, 21 August 2008, 19:30:33 »
What's the cheapest keyboard I can get that has blue cherry switches?  I don't want any eBay links, because I need some time to amass funds.   I don't care what the form-factor is but it has to be PS/2, USB, or AT.  No ADB because I don't have an iMate and I heard they don't work very well on a non-Mac machine.  -zwmalone
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Cheap Cherry Blue boards
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 21 August 2008, 19:46:03 »
Quote from: zwmalone;7699
What's the cheapest keyboard I can get that has blue cherry switches?  I don't want any eBay links, because I need some time to amass funds.   I don't care what the form-factor is but it has to be PS/2, USB, or AT.  No ADB because I don't have an iMate and I heard they don't work very well on a non-Mac machine.  -zwmalone

Check it

Offline zwmalone

Cheap Cherry Blue boards
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 21 August 2008, 19:47:51 »
Awesome thanks iMav, just my pricerange too!

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
Cheap Cherry Blue boards
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 21 August 2008, 19:49:37 »
Although, be sure to search on this forum about that keyboard.

I considered getting one to try out Cherry blues, until I read about the problems with it...

Offline Waves77

Cheap Cherry Blue boards
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 21 August 2008, 21:53:01 »
Quote from: iMav;7700
Check it

Keep in mind that several people here (me included) and elsewhere (check Amazon reviews) have had problems with this board.

AFAIK, the only confirmed available one in the US is the Das...
Current collection:
\'91 Model M (1391401), \'93 1391401, \'91 Model M (industrial 1394946), Dell AT101W, Apple Extended II (M3501), Cherry G84-4100, Filco FKB 104M/EB, Macally 96, Das III Pro, HHKB Pro 2.

Offline zwmalone

Cheap Cherry Blue boards
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 21 August 2008, 22:00:51 »
2 questions:

1) from what I can gather, the white cherry MXs are "soft tactile",  how much tactility can I expect out of the blues?

2) how much would it cost to purchase enough blue switches for one 'board?

Offline Waves77

Cheap Cherry Blue boards
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 21 August 2008, 22:18:02 »
Quote from: zwmalone;7708

1) from what I can gather, the white cherry MXs are "soft tactile",  how much tactility can I expect out of the blues?

The blues are quite tactile. I would say, think of them as a light BS (model M) - less loud, less resistant, but still quite "clicky".
Current collection:
\'91 Model M (1391401), \'93 1391401, \'91 Model M (industrial 1394946), Dell AT101W, Apple Extended II (M3501), Cherry G84-4100, Filco FKB 104M/EB, Macally 96, Das III Pro, HHKB Pro 2.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Cheap Cherry Blue boards
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 21 August 2008, 23:16:42 »
If they say MEI on them what makes you say they are Cherry switches? They don't appear to be shaped the same with the exception of the plunger.

Offline zwmalone

Cheap Cherry Blue boards
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 21 August 2008, 23:36:33 »
Quote from: xsphat;7710
If they say MEI on them what makes you say they are Cherry switches? They don't appear to be shaped the same with the exception of the plunger.

1)  The Desk Model of this same keyboard uses cherry MLs and I have no reason to believe these wouldn't use cherry switches albeit in an 'unbranded' or 'custom solution'

2) The body of the switch is remarkably similar as far as I can tell, as is the plunger.

3) I found no reference to an MEI company that manufactured switches on the internet, leading me to believe these are a 'custom solution' (SEE POINT 1 FOR FURTHER INFO)

4) an educated guess as well as having (what I feel is) the same feel as the cherry MX white switches, it has forced me to make believe that these are switches made by Cherry for this keyboard or are just custom branded Cherry MXs.

Offline vils

It\'s the glass pipe fallacy. You can only believe that if you\'re on crack.