Author Topic: Macally iKey  (Read 3739 times)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Macally iKey
« on: Sat, 06 September 2008, 02:59:32 »
In case you don't know what this keyboard looks like, here's a link:

http://lowendmac.com/usb/ikey.shtml

Anyway, I shipped off my HHKB Lite 1 today, and all my other keyboards are really loud so I was going to be stuck with a b.s. Apple white keyboard at work. A few of the keys don't work so I checked in with IT right away when I got there. I talked to the guy and we dug through an entire shelf of keyboards, and most were crap but I came across a Macally iKey. It has the same layout as the Apple Extended II, power button and all, so I desided to give that one a shot.

Surprisingly, it's pretty nice. The feel is really light and there isn't really much mud at the bottom of the stoke either. Granted, it's a big ass plastic tank, but it is good enough that I don't think I even need to buy a second keyboard for work.

So unless this Topre 86 comes out in Japan, I don't think there are any keyboards I want to buy. I'm winning an M2 on eBay, but I really don't want it, so I'll most likely end up selling it if I win the damned thing. (There you go Vic, bid $20.25 on it and it's yours - buckling springs and all. I just don't need it)

Offline victheslik

Macally iKey
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 06 September 2008, 03:27:11 »
-
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2023, 22:12:36 by victheslik »
"The only antidote to mental suffering is physical pain. " Karl Marx
A wiseman once said, "If Bible proves the existence of God, then comic books prove the existence of Superheros."

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Macally iKey
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 06 September 2008, 03:45:10 »
Nah, I'm over that phase. I want to stick with a layout similar to the Model M mini. That severely limits my choices, I know. I love the Topre switches, so the Realforce 86 is really exciting for me right now.

Offline victheslik

Macally iKey
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 06 September 2008, 03:51:50 »
-
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2023, 22:12:32 by victheslik »
"The only antidote to mental suffering is physical pain. " Karl Marx
A wiseman once said, "If Bible proves the existence of God, then comic books prove the existence of Superheros."

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Macally iKey
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 06 September 2008, 03:58:08 »
Quote from: victheslik;8487
I have to do some community service tomorrow <3

-victheslik

Why does this not surprise me :)

Offline lowpoly

Macally iKey
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 06 September 2008, 16:00:44 »
Quote from: xsphat;8482
In case you don't know what this keyboard looks like, here's a link:

http://lowendmac.com/usb/ikey.shtml

Why don't you get an Extended II while you wait for the Topre? The Alps switches in these are dampened so it's pretty quiet while still being tactile.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline graywolf

• http://www.graywolfphoto.com/
Macally iKey
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 07 September 2008, 12:37:46 »
So, XSPhat, it sounds like you tried a lot of keyboards and finally decided what you like best. Not too many of us get to do that.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Macally iKey
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 07 September 2008, 12:58:42 »
Yeah, I like the IBM 101 layout best. If I can stick to it or on really similar layouts, I think I would be a lot happier.

And I have tried a lot of keyboards. For a long time I bought every one that interested me. I've sold a lot, given a ton away and I tossed some. It does feel kind of like this journey of mine to find my best keyboard rotation is almost at a close. Sad but true, and there will always be the next thing for me to dive into.

Offline graywolf

• http://www.graywolfphoto.com/
Macally iKey
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 07 September 2008, 16:18:25 »
Well, you could be like me I have enough for one economical hobby, and have about 20. I finally after a long time got me a sewing machine I could afford ($15 at Goodwil, but I had to order a new cord for it which doubled the price), so add one more hobby that I have penty of time, but not the money, nor the enegry for. Besides using it to mend clothes I plan on using it to make carrying bags for stuff. One being one for my notebook computer, another for the second tape recorder, and I could use a custom bag for the digital camera, the bikes could use...

BTW, why don't your wife rate a Macbook?

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Macally iKey
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 07 September 2008, 17:05:43 »
It's her money. I wouldn't dissuade her from buying a Gateway.

Offline madmaxmedia

Macally iKey
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 23 September 2008, 01:37:57 »
Is it mechanical or domes? I'd love to find one of these dinosaur Mac keyboards with Alps (but with USB, not ADB.)

I had a Micro Connectors for awhile, but it had a really loud high-pitched ping that was annoying. As opposed to the Extended I which is loud but I like the sound...

Thanks!

Quote from: xsphat;8482
Surprisingly, it's pretty nice. The feel is really light and there isn't really much mud at the bottom of the stoke either. Granted, it's a big ass plastic tank, but it is good enough that I don't think I even need to buy a second keyboard for work.

So unless this Topre 86 comes out in Japan, I don't think there are any keyboards I want to buy. I'm winning an M2 on eBay, but I really don't want it, so I'll most likely end up selling it if I win the damned thing. (There you go Vic, bid $20.25 on it and it's yours - buckling springs and all. I just don't need it)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Macally iKey
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 23 September 2008, 01:47:29 »
It's rubber dome, and no old Mac keyboards are USB, no Mac or any other old keyboards have USB.

Offline madmaxmedia

Macally iKey
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 23 September 2008, 11:25:37 »
Well, I didn't mean THAT old. ;)

I was thinking along the lines of the Micro Connectors keyboard, Kensington StudioBoard, etc.- lost, forgotten, and hopefully cheap!

The Kensington StudioBoard was not too bad, except for the stubby return key.